The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Shame applications have closed, I would like to have created another account and got a print screen of those tests and distribute them around my lab to see how others faired.
Reply 3181
Original post by Methtical
Lol that a few people are saying the tests were "ok" or "quite easy" now makes me wonder if I'm just plain thick.

No I don't think you were thick... You just needed more practice on the questions... I found these type of test slightly hard when I first tried them, but several of them later and i'm finding them easy- Had to make a back up in case I didn't get this (accountancy jobs start applications MUCH earlier)
Had to make a back up in case I didn't get this (accountancy jobs start applications MUCH earlier)

This explains a lot :biggrin:
Reply 3183
Is anyone applying for infection sciences?
Got a reply from Tech support:

"Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, if you do not meet the minimum pass mark for the first online test applicants will not be permitted to continue to take any further tests.

Kind regards,

Technical helpdesk"

Aka idiots such as yourself need not apply.
Reply 3185
Kirstyra, I have :biggrin:

Where did you apply to? I put down North West, East Midlands, and West Midlands.
Reply 3186
Original post by Mochi
Kirstyra, I have :biggrin:

Where did you apply to? I put down North West, East Midlands, and West Midlands.

I chose the same 3.

Is this your first year of applying? I was looking to apply last year but there seemed to be hardly any postions for Micro so I waited until this year. Looked like it was a good idea as it seems there are far more positions this year.
Reply 3187
No I applied in 2009 and was unsuccessful so I decided to do my masters to improve my chances. It's a two year masters so I couldn't apply last year.

I wish there were more places though, even though it's three different regions it's still only 6 positions. Some of the others had loads!

You say you chose not to apply last year, does that mean you're currently working?
Reply 3188
Original post by Mochi
No I applied in 2009 and was unsuccessful so I decided to do my masters to improve my chances. It's a two year masters so I couldn't apply last year.

I wish there were more places though, even though it's three different regions it's still only 6 positions. Some of the others had loads!

You say you chose not to apply last year, does that mean you're currently working?

What did you do your masters in?

Yes, I'm working in an NHS micro lab. I'm hoping that will help my chances as I have no postgrad qualifications.
Original post by kirstyra

I've applied for infection sciences for the north west. I did the online tests yesterday and thought the logical reasoning was fine but I did struggle with the numerical one. Thankfully I did get the 'We will aim to start contacting candidates in April' email so fingers crossed for an interview now! In the FAQ document it says that they would shortlist three times as many applicants as there were available positions, with an additional reserve list. Which doesn't seem so bad? As long as I manage to make the shortlist of course, which I'm not too sure about!

FAQ document in case anyone hasn't seen it : http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/PDFs/STP_FAQs_100212.pdf
Reply 3190
Original post by kirstyra

I applied for infection sciences at South Central.
Reply 3191
I think your work will definitely improve your chances, and it seems that you don't really need postgraduate qualifications anyway. You're in a good position :smile:

I was looking into alternatives in case I don't get this, and I don't know how much choice I really have. Are you a BMS? I don't have the accredited degree for that so I don't think that's a possibility, and it seems like the other roles I'm either over qualified for (MLA etc) or don't have enough experience.

My masters is in biomedicine, and I've had nearly a year's worth of research experience spread over 2 projects which I hope will look good. One is in infection and the other is more immunology/vaccine based.
Reply 3192
If its average 19 applicants per post, I'm guessing the less popular ones (disciplines) I might get more chance with!!

Ok Penguin, fingers crossed its just me and you applying for reproductive sciences in the whole of the UK!! :biggrin:

Btw, I visited a clinic today and got scrub'd up and watched them do the work... Really want to do this as a career now!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3193
Original post by LauraLP
I applied for infection sciences at South Central.

I applied for Microbiology in South East Coast and London:wink:
Original post by Japryan
Wow. Now I understand what you have all been talking about. Those tests were absolutely awful. I got the email about them getting in touch in April but I am not celebrating until I hear directly that I have passed, a little paranoid I know. Either way I shall be writing to both the NHS and HPC (I think this would have more impact) to tell them how unfair I found the testing element. I know why they have done it the way they have, to prevent people having multiple attempts but there could have been a pre-application registration with all personal details, the essay questions only being required once the tests had been successfully completed.

Since most of us will be unsuccessful in obtaining a post, I feel it important to express our views to NHS/HPC so that nest year when we apply, we don't have to go through this again.

Anyway, I see a few people on here who have applied for STP and mention that they are already working in an NHS laboratory. I am curious as to what jobs they may have?

Thank you,

R

I'm not currently working in a NHS lab, but I worked for 12 months a trainee biomedical scientist last year to become state registered.

I'm a tad worried that I've wasted one of my choices though, I've put my first choice as cardiac sciences because I've had physiology modules all through uni and they have focused a lot on cardiology, I've also had many labs where I've done ECGs and taken blood pressure etc. But saw on the twitter page they were telling people who have a biomed degree to just apply for the life sciences posts :confused:
Reply 3195
Original post by laura130490
I'm not currently working in a NHS lab, but I worked for 12 months a trainee biomedical scientist last year to become state registered.

I'm a tad worried that I've wasted one of my choices though, I've put my first choice as cardiac sciences because I've had physiology modules all through uni and they have focused a lot on cardiology, I've also had many labs where I've done ECGs and taken blood pressure etc. But saw on the twitter page they were telling people who have a biomed degree to just apply for the life sciences posts :confused:

I am guessing that as long as you have stated your experiences and knowledge of cardiac science, you should be fine. I am currently during BMS and we have plenty of physiology modules so i don't understand why they would sideline us.
Original post by 786pk
I am guessing that as long as you have stated your experiences and knowledge of cardiac science, you should be fine. I am currently during BMS and we have plenty of physiology modules so i don't understand why they would sideline us.

Well I didn't mention my degree modules much in the essay questions because I presumed they would know what a biomed degree is composed of. Wish I could go back and change my answers now :frown:
Reply 3197
Original post by laura130490
Well I didn't mention my degree modules much in the essay questions because I presumed they would know what a biomed degree is composed of. Wish I could go back and change my answers now :frown:

I also haven't mentioned modules much as well. I suppose you have a lot of experience in the labs which should be your advantage.
If you don't mind me asking, what else have you applied to?
Original post by 786pk
I also haven't mentioned modules much as well. I suppose you have a lot of experience in the labs which should be your advantage.
If you don't mind me asking, what else have you applied to?

I've applied to biochem and haematology, I did my placement in haematology so thought it would be foolish not to put it down as a choice.
Reply 3199
I was wondering if anyone know of any online logical tests for practice?? :confused: I haven't taken the tests yet because I feel like I need to practice a bit more first! Were they easier than numerical?

Also, I hope the actual STP tests are common for everyone! It would be unfair to find out later that people had different and, thus, easier or more difficult questions than others!

I've applied for Clinical Biochemistry, Heamatology/Transfusion and Genetics, in this order, all in London. Here are my qualifications. I hope they're enough... :confused: I have a 2:1 BSc (Hons) in Biology, an MSc with Commendation in Biomedical Science (Haematology) with an NHS placement, an MRes in Biomedical Research (mostly NMR and gene therapy) with studentship, and finally a recent PhD in Biochemistry (last year) with studentship and extra funding from a cancer charity. I also volunteered for research training at St George's in the past and right now at Queen Mary as volunteer (again for research such as cardiovascular, genetics, stem cells...). I'm also an IBMS member. I talked about some awards and grants my work was part of. For example my supervisor secured a 100,000 Euro grant abroad when he included my work in his presentation. I visited some labs in the past, but when I contacted one of them a few days ago, they said they would only be able to let me pay a visit if I am shortlisted.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending