The Student Room Group

Medicine at Malta University?

I really want to go to Malta university once I finish my A-levels, preferably to study medicine. I took Biology English Sociology and Psychology at AS level, but I'm unsure of the entry requirments (the website is not very clear!)... Does anyone know if they offer a kind of 'pre-med' course as I didn't take chemistry and most unis want it for medicine?

Also if anyone studies at Malta could you tell me a bit about the expenses, student life in general etc.

Many thanks :smile:

P.s my dad is a maltese resident, will this help with my application at all?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go to:http://www.um.edu.mt/sas/scr and click on what's applicable to you.

If you're going for Doctor of Medicine and Surgery, it appears you might need to do something about not taking chemistry. Entry requirements are:
Passes in the Matriculation Certificate Examination at Advanced Level at Grade B or better in Biology and Chemistry;

Even if the Matriculation Certificate Examination doesn't mean the UK A Levels, it still probably indicates that you need chemistry!

You might want to email them.
Reply 2
Thanks, I couldn't find that page anywhere!
Reply 3
Hi,
I'm a first year student there.
What u need is A2 bio and chem, and another AS or A2 ( there is a list what it can be- I had physics bio chem at A2) at grade B.
what is really important, that all of these grades are obtained in one session, and technically what it means that on your final certificate the date has to be the same for all three subjects (eg. June 2013). And it's same for all the Maltese students as well(Maltese a levels are taken in one sitting, like the IB), it's really hard for them to get in. If u want to come here ur only chance is that if u do AS and A2 chem this year( or are u first hear?). And if I'm right u need 1 AS language ( English will do it. I had German).
Student life is good, the course is very hard. Btw if u got the qualifications, it's very straight forward, however don't expect much reply from them till July, August. I hope it helps.
Reply 4
Original post by dema123
Hi,
What u need is A2 bio and chem, and another AS or A2 ( there is a list what it can be- I had physics bio chem at A2) at grade B.
what is really important, that all of these grades are obtained in one session, and technically what it means that on your final certificate the date has to be the same for all three subjects (eg. June 2013). And it's same for all the Maltese students as well(Maltese a levels are taken in one sitting, like the IB), it's really hard for them to get in. If u want to come here ur only chance is that if u do AS and A2 chem this year( or are u first hear?). And if I'm right u need 1 AS language ( English will do it. I had German).
Student life is good, the course is very hard. Btw if u got the qualifications, it's very straight forward, however don't expect much reply from them till July, August. I hope it helps.

Hey deema123,
I'm also planning to apply for medicine at Malta university. I have got three B's in chem, bio and maths and AS physics (should I mention about the AS subject as well?) In the application they ask for an English proficiency test. Since we have done the exams in English wouldn't that be enough?
Also, did you have to do an entrance exam in bio and chem? and how was the interview like?
Im sorry to bombard you with lots of questions but would like to hear what you have got to say about studying in Malta. :smile:
Hi there,

It's Amy from Degrees Ahead. Doing medicine in Malta sounds really exciting! I also have a friend (who is Maltese) who is doing medicine there! :smile: She'll graduate as a doctor when she's 23/24. I don't think that I would have been ready to have the life of another human in my hands when I was 23...I wouldn't want to now! :biggrin:

In most countries, if you have been taught in English you don't need to prove your English level, so I don't think that it will be a problem.

I'm not sure if Malta will be at the Student World event in March, but if they are it would be a good idea to go along to it to ask them questions yourself!

Hope my reassurance about English helps you!

Amy
Original post by dema123
Hi,

Is it possible to transfer to he University of Malta if say you've completed pre-clinical study here in the UK?
Reply 7
Original post by judi123
Hey deema123,
I'm also planning to apply for medicine at Malta university. I have got three B's in chem, bio and maths and AS physics (should I mention about the AS subject as well?) In the application they ask for an English proficiency test. Since we have done the exams in English wouldn't that be enough?
Also, did you have to do an entrance exam in bio and chem? and how was the interview like?
Im sorry to bombard you with lots of questions but would like to hear what you have got to say about studying in Malta. :smile:

Hey! Hmm I think it should do it, but I'm afraid you will have to do an AS language(English will do it, or German French whatever...), they are picky about this. Go to the website www.um.edu.mt, apply online, send them the photocopies of your transcripts (via email), and they will tell you if you are eligible or need anything else! I'm not sure if u have to do any exams or interview, your a levels should do it, it's mainly for graduates! Yeah you are English so I guess that should be enough for the English
Proficiency stuff! For me to get in it was quite straight forward, as long as u got the grades and qualifications! Btw I like uni here :smile:, life is very different than in the UK!
Reply 8
Original post by dema123
Hey! Hmm I think it should do it, but I'm afraid you will have to do an AS language(English will do it, or German French whatever...), they are picky about this. Go to the website www.um.edu.mt, apply online, send them the photocopies of your transcripts (via email), and they will tell you if you are eligible or need anything else! I'm not sure if u have to do any exams or interview, your a levels should do it, it's mainly for graduates! Yeah you are English so I guess that should be enough for the English
Proficiency stuff! For me to get in it was quite straight forward, as long as u got the grades and qualifications! Btw I like uni here :smile:, life is very different than in the UK!

Hi Dema123,

I applied a month ago in mid feb. I emailed them once in early March and they said that it is still being reviewed. Should I chase up?

Its just that I applied as a home student in Jan and when I did not hear back, for a month except to say they recieved my applic, I phoned and ten they dug my file up and told me I need to apply as International. If I had not called I may not have known.

Many thanks
Reply 9
Hello, can someone assist me in query. I have applied for Medicine at Malta and my application is pending, they contacted me on Wednesday (16th) requesting me to attend a pre-entrance exam on (Wednesday 23rd). I'm about to complete a BSc in Medical Physiology.(June 2012) :colone:

Firstly I don't understand why I have been called out despite nearly finishing a BSc.

Secondly, has anyone here taken this exam? What is it like? What is the pass mark? What should I revise? I'm highly nervous .... :confused:

Finally, Anyone here taking this exam on the 23rd?

many thanks :colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Hey guys! Sorry for asking something not directly relevant, but can someone give some advice on whether is it possible to support yourself while studying there? Like getting a part-time job or something.
And also, are there any bursaries to support students without a great family income?
And also how competitive it is to get into a med. school in Malta?
Reply 11
I'm in Malta as I type, I'm here for my entrance exams. It should be easy to support yourself here, based on my observations, the only major requirement is to speak Maltese. I did a job search a while back and it is practically written on every job/person specification, even for the McJobs. Saying that almost everyone here speaks or understands English. The language seems similar to Italian/French and speaking to a few people here, it should not take more than a year to learn the basics. The income is good and living costs are low.

As for bursary, I am unaware of any government institutions offering anything for EU nationals outside Malta. (I did my research) There are a no private institutes who provide any support either. I suppose the benefits here are, great weather all year round and no tuition fees (for medicine and dentistry, for others its between 400-800€ annually). You always go online and post an appeal for funding on websites like youcaring.com

Competition is low. If you have A-levels in Biology and Chemistry you can apply with 70% chance of getting in, any experience or previous science degrees etc make your application stronger. Personally, I have a completed a BSc in Medical Physiology but dont have any A-levels hence I am here for the entrance exam.

Sorry for writing an essay. . . . hope i've answered your questions. Good Luck!
Original post by spcl1
I'm in Malta as I type, I'm here for my entrance exams. It should be easy to support yourself here, based on my observations, the only major requirement is to speak Maltese. I did a job search a while back and it is practically written on every job/person specification, even for the McJobs. Saying that almost everyone here speaks or understands English. The language seems similar to Italian/French and speaking to a few people here, it should not take more than a year to learn the basics. The income is good and living costs are low.

As for bursary, I am unaware of any government institutions offering anything for EU nationals outside Malta. (I did my research) There are a no private institutes who provide any support either. I suppose the benefits here are, great weather all year round and no tuition fees (for medicine and dentistry, for others its between 400-800€ annually). You always go online and post an appeal for funding on websites like youcaring.com

Competition is low. If you have A-levels in Biology and Chemistry you can apply with 70% chance of getting in, any experience or previous science degrees etc make your application stronger. Personally, I have a completed a BSc in Medical Physiology but dont have any A-levels hence I am here for the entrance exam.

Sorry for writing an essay. . . . hope i've answered your questions. Good Luck!

Thank you very much! Really helped :smile:
Has anyone received a reply of interview or rejection after their entrance exams in biology and chemistry last week, or does anyone know when we will get the results
I applied 2 month ago with my as levels of chemistry biology and english (currently sitting A2) was immediately asked for scan and send qualifications and passport copies. Since then have heard nothing.

Was told I didn't have to sit entrance exam or interview. Can anybody shed any light on what my position might be?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 15
Original post by gradapplicant
Has anyone received a reply of interview or rejection after their entrance exams in biology and chemistry last week, or does anyone know when we will get the results

I received a reply last Tuesday telling me I'm unsuccessful. They stated the results from the enterance exam will be released at the end of August.
Reply 16
Original post by Abbieastoria
I applied 2 month ago with my as levels of chemistry biology and english (currently sitting A2) was immediately asked for scan and send qualifications and passport copies. Since then have heard nothing.

Was told I didn't have to sit entrance exam or interview. Can anybody shed any light on what my position might be?

I believe congrats are in order.
Original post by spcl1
I believe congrats are in order.

I rang admissions a few days ago and they told me "you will hear of a decision once we have your A2 results" not really quite sure what that means

Sorry to hear you were unsuccessful, what are you going to do?

Reply 18
I have been in Malta this week looking at the Uni and it IS free for UK (and EU) students! Courses for medicine are taught in English, especially as there are very few technical words in the Maltese language, so it's impossible to teach in Maltese. The only thing that costs is accommodation and things like books etc..

Maltese is not a requirement, although it's quite useful to study as an extracurricular subject because some patients do prefer speaking in Maltese but this is not often a problem (I had the honour of spending a morning with the top psychiatrist in Malta who works with UK Universities as well. I also met an F1 and an F2 from England and Ireland who spoke no Maltese and they said it was fine).

The only problem is entry requirements as the UK A Levels don't allow us to do all the subjects they require (unless you do IB in the UK).
General requirements are the subjects that anyone who wants to study any course at the University of Malta must have. For UK A Levels, these must be attained at grade E AS Level.
Group 1- a language
Group 2 - a humanity
Group 3 - a science/maths
Group 4 - an art (be careful as it seemed the only AS subject I could do that was art, drama etc.. was Computing becuase our Home Economics and ICT courses don't cover what they require here!).
You can pick more than one subject from each group, but people must have at least one.

THEN, there's the course specific requirements which are Biology, Chemistry and a third A Level all at grade B or above. These aren't the issue, but people may struggle with the general requirements as it's very difficult for us to take a minimum of 6 AS Levels and fit it into our timetable at school.

You can either take the AS subjects that you don't have after year 13 (or during if you want to teach yourself as you only need grade E), or you can do one year of medicine in a recognised UK University, and then drop out and transfer to Malta. You would have to start from year 1 again, but you will be at an incredible advantage!

Good luck guys <3
Can anyone tell me an e-mail adress so i can ask if am applicalble to apply.

Quick Reply

Latest