PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=285715

no wonder we all get so stressed out...
Original post by noodles!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=285715

no wonder we all get so stressed out...

fecking kids

I was driving home from school today and some idiot cut me up so we both missed the green light, when it went green again the guy was just sat there not paying attention. I beeped him and was kinda pissed off (bad day) and shouted "****ing move you ****" not realising my window was open, a year 13 who i team teach was stood right next to my car crossing the road. AND One Direction were on the radio. FML.
Original post by *Sparkle*
fecking kids

I was driving home from school today and some idiot cut me up so we both missed the green light, when it went green again the guy was just sat there not paying attention. I beeped him and was kinda pissed off (bad day) and shouted "****ing move you ****" not realising my window was open, a year 13 who i team teach was stood right next to my car crossing the road. AND One Direction were on the radio. FML.

Well, it never does any harm for them to know you're human.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, it never does any harm for them to know you're human.

haha i know, but one direction?? What bad timing!!!
haha i know, but one direction?? What bad timing!!!

Haha, I love that you're more concerned about One Direction than the swearing :p:
Original post by Becca
Haha, I love that you're more concerned about One Direction than the swearing :p:

He was a year thirteen, I'm sure he's heard the f word before, but there's no excuse for one direction (well there is, I love them :|, but they can't know that).
(edited 12 years ago)
He was a year thirteen, I'm sure he's heard the f word before, but there's no excuse for one direction (well there is, I love them :|, but they can't know that).

Haha, I'm not allowed to pos rep you again for that comment =D

Urgh I am teaching 5 lessons tomorrow, it's my heaviest placement day. How many lessons planned? 2.

I promised myself I wouldn't get into late-night panic planning on this placement. It's only been 2 weeks and here I am again. Urgh =/
I really don't want to have to do these 6,000 words by Tuesday morning. How much chocolate will I have to use to bribe someone to write this for me? :P
Original post by FadeToBlackout
I really don't want to have to do these 6,000 words by Tuesday morning. How much chocolate will I have to use to bribe someone to write this for me? :P

I don't think a trip to Willy Wonka's factory would even do it! Sorry :tongue:

I'm just starting to really get into applying for jobs, I don't feel ready! I want my bubble of 'oh I don't have to think about that yet' back!

First school visit is on Friday, eek!
There are 4 jobs on my to-apply-for list at the minute. But above that list is the to-do list which is very extensive. So where is the time to apply for these jobs??
I had a look for jobs yesterday. There are quite a few for September for which the deadline is really soon. However, they are all in CoE or Catholic schools. They each state that you should work within and promote the religious ethos. I can do that - I am tolerant, even if I am an atheist myself. However, they also desire letters of recommendation regarding faith from a religious minister. I can't do that lol. Trying to decide if I would want to work in that sort of environment and if they would even consider me if I did apply. :/
There are 4 jobs on my to-apply-for list at the minute. But above that list is the to-do list which is very extensive. So where is the time to apply for these jobs??

Every spare minute? I think once you've got a model personal statement/letter of application you can then personalise it to each school (rather than writing a it from scratch each time!)

I went on a school visit and there were 6 of us, 2 of whom had 10+ years experience and the others at least a few years. How is a lowly NQT supposed compete there? :frown: I hope it's not the same for everywhere I apply! I also suspect they were trying to intimidate me, you should have seen how one was sitting in the staffroom....legs crossed with their hands on their head as if it was some power struggle. I cringed, surely acting like you've got the job already isn't the way to go! Anyway, I'm going to apply as the head said he'd give feedback whether we were short-listed or not so there's nothing to lose.

I knew it was a tough market, but this is just bringing the point home a little more. I knew I was competing against other NQTs but I didn't really think too much about other qualified teachers! Ek! This just got so much harder!
Original post by affinity89
I had a look for jobs yesterday. There are quite a few for September for which the deadline is really soon. However, they are all in CoE or Catholic schools. They each state that you should work within and promote the religious ethos. I can do that - I am tolerant, even if I am an atheist myself. However, they also desire letters of recommendation regarding faith from a religious minister. I can't do that lol. Trying to decide if I would want to work in that sort of environment and if they would even consider me if I did apply. :/

I asked my friend (who has just got a deputy head job at a Catholic School) and she said to just go for it, a lot of the CofE and Catholic values are what anyone with a good moral compass would have any way. It is more important if you are going for management positions apparently.

They'd rather have the best person for the job, not the best Catholic or Christian for the job! Just go for it, nothing to lose! x
Original post by balloon_parade
Every spare minute? I think once you've got a model personal statement/letter of application you can then personalise it to each school (rather than writing a it from scratch each time!)

I went on a school visit and there were 6 of us, 2 of whom had 10+ years experience and the others at least a few years. How is a lowly NQT supposed compete there? :frown: I hope it's not the same for everywhere I apply! I also suspect they were trying to intimidate me, you should have seen how one was sitting in the staffroom....legs crossed with their hands on their head as if it was some power struggle. I cringed, surely acting like you've got the job already isn't the way to go! Anyway, I'm going to apply as the head said he'd give feedback whether we were short-listed or not so there's nothing to lose.

I knew it was a tough market, but this is just bringing the point home a little more. I knew I was competing against other NQTs but I didn't really think too much about other qualified teachers! Ek! This just got so much harder!

Yeah I do already have a letter... hmm.

Don't worry too much about the NQT vs experience thing- sure some schools will want experience but lots will want an NQT- especially those really forward looking types of schools who want to ensure the latest methods are being used and they're not going to get somebody too stuck in their ways. Also, we're cheap of course! And don't forget that after May we're only competing with other NQTs and unemployed teachers as it's too late for any teacher with a job to resign...
Yeah I do already have a letter... hmm.

Don't worry too much about the NQT vs experience thing- sure some schools will want experience but lots will want an NQT- especially those really forward looking types of schools who want to ensure the latest methods are being used and they're not going to get somebody too stuck in their ways. Also, we're cheap of course! And don't forget that after May we're only competing with other NQTs and unemployed teachers as it's too late for any teacher with a job to resign...

I was going to say the "we're cheap" thing as well.

But on that last point, could you elaborate?

Yes, it's too late for any teacher with a job to resign, but... if no teachers are able to resign, where will the job listings come from? Retirements? New positions being created? I don't really feel like in our current gloomy public sector situation there will be many new posts created in schools :frown:

(although I have heard of people getting jobs that late, so I'm a bit confused about how this comes about)
Original post by Suzanathema
I was going to say the "we're cheap" thing as well.

But on that last point, could you elaborate?

Yes, it's too late for any teacher with a job to resign, but... if no teachers are able to resign, where will the job listings come from? Retirements? New positions being created? I don't really feel like in our current gloomy public sector situation there will be many new posts created in schools :frown:

(although I have heard of people getting jobs that late, so I'm a bit confused about how this comes about)

The way I have understood it:
Teachers have to give set periods of notice. May marks the latest someone can really resign when they want to finish July/September. So, from May, jobs will be available for those positions that have become free due to someone resigning. But, teachers still in a job will be unable to go for them, as it will be too late for them to give the given notice period.
That said, I've heard of people leaving and giving less notice, especially when circumstances are particular, so I suppose it isn't fixed in stone. :smile:

I might be completely wrong, but from what we've been told, that is how I picture it. :smile:
Teachers have to give set periods of notice. May marks the latest someone can really resign when they want to finish July/September. So, from May, jobs will be available for those positions that have become free due to someone resigning. But, teachers still in a job will be unable to go for them, as it will be too late for them to give the given notice period.
That said, I've heard of people leaving and giving less notice, especially when circumstances are particular, so I suppose it isn't fixed in stone. :smile:

I might be completely wrong, but from what we've been told, that is how I picture it. :smile:

So the later someone hands their notice in, the better it is for us NQTs as less competition from people wanting to swap jobs? The whole thing is terrifying. I have a feeling the position I am going for wants more experience but like I said, applying anyway.

Fingers crossed for the elusive September job!

You're quite right.
Solidarity to all those applying for jobs. This month I need to apply for "my" job at work, not looking forward to it!
Original post by Becca
Solidarity to all those applying for jobs. This month I need to apply for "my" job at work, not looking forward to it!

I'm sure you'll be fine, but Good luck anyway! :smile:

Quick Reply