The Student Room Group

Social Work 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Abbey101
Hi

Does anyone know what questions are being asked in the qub interveiw? And are they the same questions being used by UU?

Thanks!

Did you not agree to share info?
Reply 121
Leeds university interview tuesday! nervous as hell! x
Reply 122
Did that cause offence or something? I meant that there only is one interview if you agree to share info? I take it you didn't?
Original post by nicoleio
i got an interview for social work for QUB! so nervousssss!!!!

How did your interview go in Queens? I have mine on Wednesday? And are you a school leaver?
Original post by Neards
Did you not agree to share info?

I had my Social work interview in South West College on 23rd Feb. The one interview covers all social work places you have applied for. I applied to Queens and Belfast Met. I got asked 6 questions by a tutor and a social worker at the college. I have all potential questions that have been asked and I wrote them out and the answers so I was well prepared. I advice anyone who has an interview to do the same. The questions I was asked were : Why do you want to do social work, think of a time you helped someone, how did this make you feel, How do you feel you would cope with studying and social work training, why is good communication essential between service users their carers and professionals, define the difference between a social workers job and someone else in the social care setting. Thats all I can remember being asked. Hope this helps!!
Reply 125
Any1 heard back from UU after their interviews yet? I Had mine @ Magee 4 weeks ago and havnt heard anything yet

Good Luck to everyone going for interviews. Make sure you are aware of what social work training involves and let your personalities shine through. Remember they are interested in you or they wouldn't have asked you for an interview! Have a few good questions prepared for them such as what do they enjoy about social work? and Can social work students make use of the sports facilities at the university?

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 126
Had my leeds university interview today, went really well so fingers crossed :smile:
Original post by :)!!!!
I went to a test at wolverhampton and i found this too there was about 20 people at the test and there was only me and two other girls who looked like they were applying straight from school or college, but they have to give a number of places to mature students each year don't they?

Not being funny but can you seriously believe that universities are required to give places to a group based on their age? Quite ironic that you suggest this considering social work is at the heart of tackling discrimination and oppression. Social work in it's very nature requires life experience and firm skills, which really it takes someone quite exceptional to fulfill this having come straight from school.
Reply 128
Original post by dark666angel
Not being funny but can you seriously believe that universities are required to give places to a group based on their age? Quite ironic that you suggest this considering social work is at the heart of tackling discrimination and oppression. Social work in it's very nature requires life experience and firm skills, which really it takes someone quite exceptional to fulfill this having come straight from school.

Hi when I went for my interview there was only myself and 2 others that were mature, the other 20 were school leavers(in last year of 6th form), so it may just depend on who and where people apply for. The uni's have policies not to discriminate regardless of whatever background and certainly not in Social Work, where discrimination is not tolerated.
Reply 129
It is my understanding that they have to set aside a certain number of places for school leavers and those completing access courses.
Reply 130
iv got 5/5 offers from leeds, leeds met, huddersfield, york and hull :smile:
Iv firmed Leeds uni, and Insured Leeds Met :smile: Exciting!
Reply 131
Original post by Neards
It is my understanding that they have to set aside a certain number of places for school leavers and those completing access courses.

Ridiculous, the majority of school leavers do not even know what the social work role entails. A couple of hours working as a volunteer is not enough experience!
Reply 132
Has anyone had offers from Coventry and/or BCU? I've got an interview at Coventry on the 28th :smile:
Reply 133
I suppose they are looking for qualities and values too- "mature" students do not necessarily tick every box every time. P.S. I'm 26!
Reply 134
Original post by L2307
iv got 5/5 offers from leeds, leeds met, huddersfield, york and hull :smile:
Iv firmed Leeds uni, and Insured Leeds Met :smile: Exciting!

Fantastic '') well done xx
Reply 135
Original post by Neards
I suppose they are looking for qualities and values too- "mature" students do not necessarily tick every box every time. P.S. I'm 26!

Qualities and values aren't everything. Social Work is a very stressful and challenging job which is why the majority of Social Workers burn out after 5 years. I strongly feel that if everyone applying onto the course had the opportunity to experience a week as a Social Worker, ATLEAST 25% would run a mile; it's those people who are wasting the funding and taking places from others who really want it.
Rant over.:rolleyes:
Reply 136
Original post by 01tdavies
Qualities and values aren't everything. Social Work is a very stressful and challenging job which is why the majority of Social Workers burn out after 5 years. I strongly feel that if everyone applying onto the course had the opportunity to experience a week as a Social Worker, ATLEAST 25% would run a mile; it's those people who are wasting the funding and taking places from others who really want it.
Rant over.:rolleyes:

I've been offered a place and I start in Sep 12; I've had life experience in Social care as a child and I can empathise with service-users, I've also done a lot of work experience too and I agree, people perceive the role as a 9-5 job but in reality it's nothing like that.I'm a mature student, a single-parent (who was married for a long time) so I know both sides of the coin and I raise my daughter more successfully on my own. :smile: I say Good Luck to everyone who gets the chance, you'll know you've made the right career choice if you feel self-satisfied with what you're doing as I do x
Original post by pia smile
Have only just had my application sent off by my college, but am applying to Brighton, Sussex, Chichester, Greenwich and London south bank uni all for Social work L500

Hi pia smile,

Have you been invited for an interview at LSBU. If you have, what is the test and the group interview like. I have been invited for an interivew on Wed 28th Mar.
Reply 138
Original post by Mand76
I've been offered a place and I start in Sep 12; I've had life experience in Social care as a child and I can empathise with service-users, I've also done a lot of work experience too and I agree, people perceive the role as a 9-5 job but in reality it's nothing like that.I'm a mature student, a single-parent (who was married for a long time) so I know both sides of the coin and I raise my daughter more successfully on my own. :smile: I say Good Luck to everyone who gets the chance, you'll know you've made the right career choice if you feel self-satisfied with what you're doing as I do x

My comments are aimed at school leavers with a couple of hours voluntary experience. They should put the age back up to 21 I think.
Good luck in September, I've been accepted for Gloucestershire but still waiting to hear from UWE x
Original post by CatRox
Has anyone had offers from Coventry and/or BCU? I've got an interview at Coventry on the 28th :smile:

Hi There

I been invited to interview at Coventry University on 18 April 2012..any idea what they're looking to us assess us on ?

Good luck with your interview
Yasmin Alrome

Quick Reply

Latest