The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Facticity
In what kind of genre are you looking for? Rave is pretty good, it takes a while to kick in, but the end is worth it. Not a masterpiece but I'd definitely say go for it if you have the cash and time.

No particular genre in mind, though preferably something I haven't already watched the anime adaptation of... when buying manga I always seem to go for series or authors I'm already familiar with, so some variation would be nice. :smile: Just throw some titles you like at me!

Rave Master is more or less a definite. Some volumes are difficult to get and a little on the expensive side, but I can't really complain when I've already been given volumes 13+ for free. :p: However, since I've had 3-4 series finish on me at once (not to mention several stalled indefinitely by Tokyopop going bust), I'm looking to start a few new series at once. :yes:
As if it was trying to tempt me to give up on hard copies for the sake of my dwindling shelf space, JManga has now been made accessible worldwide. Can't say anything on there particularly grabs me though, so for now I'll stick to books. :p:
Original post by AngryJellyfish
No particular genre in mind, though preferably something I haven't already watched the anime adaptation of... when buying manga I always seem to go for series or authors I'm already familiar with, so some variation would be nice. :smile: Just throw some titles you like at me!

Rave Master is more or less a definite. Some volumes are difficult to get and a little on the expensive side, but I can't really complain when I've already been given volumes 13+ for free. :p: However, since I've had 3-4 series finish on me at once (not to mention several stalled indefinitely by Tokyopop going bust), I'm looking to start a few new series at once. :yes:

Try the Mushishi manga? One of my all time favourite series - the anime is a cut above but the manga is even more artistic. It will not be cheap though, a rare and sought after series. 10 volumes IIRC.

Could also try the Psyren manga. I quite liked the show and it is of moderate length, though, it is a bit of an anti-climax and your typical shonen which I gather isn't what you've seen plenty of :tongue:

Noticed you haven't seen NANA. I'm not a huge one for shoujo but NANA is a great series. Great anime but the manga is far more extensive and although the author has put it on long standing hiatus, its a great series. I'm waiting for it to continue. About 21 volumes of 77 chapters.

Or try Beck. Another musical series but a really good one in terms of characters development and series character engagement/ slice of life/ romance/ drama. Not my usual kind of show, but I liked it quite a bit. Even spawned a live action. Only problem is, Kondansha let Tokyopop's license go a while back and so only 12 out of the 34 volumes were licensed. I'm guessing you want complete so this may not be for you.

Anyway, its hard to find you manga which is licensed and you haven't read or watched the anime of since you've seen so much anime and I haven't read that much manga. Just a few suggestions from a quick scan. Maybe more will come to me later :redface:
Reply 2863
Time for the most adorable show of the week.

Original post by eugenius 8
rewatching some FMP :love: they should make a 3rd series :puppyeyes:

Same here, assuming you're not including Fumoffu? I'd love for KyoAni to put out Ending Day by Day or A Dancing Very Merry Christmas. The story gets really interesting after TSR too.
just watched 3rd ep of BRS, tis getting quite interesting :beard:

Original post by Tabris
You should watch the OVA if you haven't already.

will do :yep:

Original post by Tabris
Time for the most adorable show of the week.

:five: im waiting for rori subs, will have to wait until tomorrow :puppyeyes:

Same here, assuming you're not including Fumoffu? I'd love for KyoAni to put out Ending Day by Day or A Dancing Very Merry Christmas. The story gets really interesting after TSR too.

correct, oooh i was tempted to read the manga after watching TSR a couple of years ago but decided not to as i was hoping for a 3rd series to come out even though it was a very slim chance of the happening :p: but now im tempted again..
(edited 12 years ago)
Try the Mushishi manga? One of my all time favourite series - the anime is a cut above but the manga is even more artistic. It will not be cheap though, a rare and sought after series. 10 volumes IIRC.

That's a definite possibility, and after checking Amazon only a couple of volumes seem hard to get. :beard:

Could also try the Psyren manga. I quite liked the show and it is of moderate length, though, it is a bit of an anti-climax and your typical shonen which I gather isn't what you've seen plenty of :tongue:

Another one worth considering, plus you've reminded me that VIZ exist. I keep forgetting about them since I don't read much shounen. :o: I'll have to check their website for other ideas too!

Noticed you haven't seen NANA. I'm not a huge one for shoujo but NANA is a great series. Great anime but the manga is far more extensive and although the author has put it on long standing hiatus, its a great series. I'm waiting for it to continue. About 21 volumes of 77 chapters.

The hiatus puts me off a bit, being a completionist. :sadnod:

Or try Beck. Another musical series but a really good one in terms of characters development and series character engagement/ slice of life/ romance/ drama. Not my usual kind of show, but I liked it quite a bit. Even spawned a live action. Only problem is, Kondansha let Tokyopop's license go a while back and so only 12 out of the 34 volumes were licensed. I'm guessing you want complete so this may not be for you.

Yeah, I've already got plenty of series left incomplete thanks to Tokyopop. Nothing worse. :s: Thanks for the suggestions though. :biggrin:
Reply 2866
Eugh, behind on this weeks shows.

Haven't watched Papakiki, BRS or Guilty Crown because I've been re-reading some old visual novels. I forget how engrossing they can be.
I started both Paniponi Dash! and Fang of the Sun Dougram yesterday (for real this time - last time I attempted to watch Dougram, I soon realized I'd only been given 1/3 of the eps :o:).

The former is one of those shows where you have to pause every few seconds to read the TL notes, it's that full of obscure references. I can definitely see the influence it's had on other, more recent SHAFT series, especially Negima!? - the first eps of both shows are frighteningly similar, though Paniponi didn't annoy me as much since it wasn't screwing up plots and characters I was already familiar with. :p: As for Dougram, it's much more mature and political, making for the ideal contrast. :giggle: I'm liking it a lot so far!
x

I love the new avatar :giggle:
Reply 2869
Not watched much this week.:s-smilie: But ive still got this naruto filler to get through, which Ive been putting off.:pinch:

Please keep your off topic chatter away from this thread.:hmmm:
Original post by vin
Not watched much this week.:s-smilie: But ive still got this naruto filler to get through, which Ive been putting off.:pinch:

Please keep your off topic chatter away from this thread.:hmmm:

Its not chatter. :nope: Its on topic. On the topic of Musume. :yes:

Thanks! I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to use it, since it was *just* below the file size limit. :p: Not like I didn't have several others in reserve, though. :giggle:

In terms of weekly shows, excluding those I stalled when the course started, I'm up to date with the releases of the sub groups I'm following... which means I'm a week or two behind on Last Exile, but nothing else. Can't be bothered switching back to SFWhine though, the differences in episode numbering would confuse me too much. :o:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey everyone :smile:

I've taken a liking to series that involve guns/assasins and a good story/characters with a lot of emotions present. Recently, these have included Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom, Black Cat, Noir, Gungrave and Darker than Black.

Likewise, do you have any series with similar themes that you have watched and would definitely recommend?
Original post by confuzzled92

I've taken a liking to series that involve guns/assasins and a good story/characters with a lot of emotions present. Recently, these have included Phantom:Requiem for the Phantom, Black Cat, Noir, Gungrave and Darker than Black.

Likewise, do you have any series with similar themes that you have watched and would definitely recommend?

Noir is one series in Bee Train's 'Girls with Guns' trilogy, all of which involve assassins or mercenaries. The other two are Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, so if you liked Noir they should be just what you're looking for. :yes: Aside from that, I'd recommend Gunslinger Girl, Black Lagoon and Canaan.

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 2874

In terms of weekly shows, excluding those I stalled when the course started, I'm up to date with the releases of the sub groups I'm following... which means I'm a week or two behind on Last Exile, but nothing else. Can't be bothered switching back to SFWhine though, the differences in episode numbering would confuse me too much. :o:

That confused me too :s-smilie: but I stuck with commie who are including all the eps.:yep:

Its not chatter. :nope: Its on topic. On the topic of Musume. :yes:

Nice try :wtf:
Reply 2875

It's bounty hunters, but Cowboy Bebop.
Original post by Tabris
It's bounty hunters, but Cowboy Bebop.

One of the first anime I watched. :awesome:

Noir is one series in Bee Train's 'Girls with Guns' trilogy, all of which involve assassins or mercenaries. The other two are Madlax and El Cazador de la Bruja, so if you liked Noir they should be just what you're looking for. :yes: Aside from that, I'd recommend Gunslinger Girl, Black Lagoon and Canaan.

Hope that helps. :smile:

I found the other two Bee Train series lacking (especially El Cazador) compared to Noir. :sad:
And I've seen Black Lagoon (which I'll always remember for Revy's horrible Engrish :rofl2:) and am watching Gunslinger Girl atm ( though it dosen't really have the kind of story I'm looking for. :s: )

So that just leaves Canaan.

Have either of you watched GunxSword? Is it any good?
Reply 2877
Im not one for buying anime anymore these days:frown: but :zomg: saw this bargain on facebook samurai champloo complete for £9.99 :shock:
One of the first anime I watched. :awesome:

I found the other two Bee Train series lacking (especially El Cazador) compared to Noir. :sad:
And I've seen Black Lagoon (which I'll always remember for Revy's horrible Engrish :rofl2:) and am watching Gunslinger Girl atm ( though it dosen't really have the kind of story I'm looking for. :s: )

So that just leaves Canaan.

Have either of you watched GunxSword? Is it any good?

Personally, I found Noir the weakest of the trilogy, preferring Madlax for plot and El Cazador for animation and music (and tacos). :dontknow:

Might as well have a go at suggesting some others, now that I know more about what you've already watched: Outlaw Star (like Cowboy Bebop) is more bounty hunters in space than assassins, but is fantastic; Coyote Ragtime Show is a more recent series with similar themes. Finally, Michiko to Hatchin is an even bigger stretch, but it certainly has style, guns, and good characters. :yes:

Gun x Sword isn't bad; a bit episodic, but the fun lead character and unique main villain make up for that in my opinion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Personally, I found Noir the weakest of the trilogy.

:shock::getmecoat:
I didn't watch it completely, though I agree that Madlax might have had a slight edge in terms of plot :tongue:

Might as well have a go at suggesting some others, now that I know more about what you've already watched: Outlaw Star (like Cowboy Bebop) is more bounty hunters in space than assassins, but is fantastic; Coyote Ragtime Show is a more recent series with similar themes. Finally, Michiko to Hatchin is an even bigger stretch, but it certainly has style, guns, and good characters. :yes:

Outlaw star looks good. I'll try the others out eventually.

Gun x Sword isn't bad; a bit episodic, but the fun lead character and unique main villain make up for that in my opinion.

I'll check this out as well then. Thanks for the recommendations! :smile:
And nice avatar you've got there. :ahee:

Latest

Trending

Trending