The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3220
Original post by gazette
That's awful! I hope it gets resolved soon!
Ok, now I'm worried. Up until a few hours ago when I last checked I could at least log into the page with the "proceed" button. I didn't click it yet. Did it happen before or after clicking that button?

Heloo! yeah I clicked on the proceed button to take the tests, and the first 6 are practice ones, so I completed those and went to do the real thing by clicking the 'submit' button to begin the timed tests, and then the message came up! I was mainly wondering who to contact tomorrow if an email doesnt help sort it. I dont fancy waiting another year to apply he he! were you planning on doing yours tonight? I'm sure yours will be fine, I think I just have bad luck! :s-smilie:
Reply 3221
I was planning to do it around 14:00 tomorrow afternoon. I hope there's enough time! LOL Does it really not let you proceed until you get the practice tests right? How long did the practice take you? I read that some people did not even get the practice tests but I'm not sure about that. It could be a system glitch and hopefully it will be sorted by tomorrow!

I'm worried myself and I hate that I left it at the last minute! I bought some practice tests and hope they won't go to waste now! lol I've no idea about phone number... Maybe there's a number to call on the link posted a few posts ago (last year's checklist leaflet).
Reply 3222
I wouldn't worry too much, the practice ones seemed ok to me, and I am really not great at Maths! I think there have been a lot of technical problems from what I've seen on here so hopefully if you do have a problem they will be pretty quick at sorting it! I will have to leave work early tomorrow to do it I think. I will post back if the problem gets fixed in case anyone else has the same prob :smile:
Reply 3223
Good luck KL! That'd be great if you let us know! :smile:
Reply 3224
That's one of the reasons I completed mine as soon it was available, in case of technical error. I did mine a day after it was available to let others test it out first :tongue:

Good luck with the tests! And hope it gets resolved soon!
Reply 3225
Freyr do you attend UCL by any chance? the things you've written like the stats test for projects etc makes me wonder. Also you come across a bit arrogant and you might want to tone this down a bit especially IF you do get to the interview stage. I got a 1st for my genetics degree (actual not predicted), I was on the dean's list, I've won the national microbiology prize, I was a runner up for a london merit award scheme held at the house of parliament. I am in the final year of a highly relevant PhD and have published a paper for which I have authorship, in Nature. I don't assume I will be shortlisted as the programme is highly competitive and I am competeting with the best of the bests.
You can't be too cocky as a scientist :wink:, especially when dealing with the life of patients.
Reply 3226
We. Are. Among. Gods! :tongue:

Wahahaha!!
Reply 3227
Just finished my tests this minute, the numerical section was a lot harder than any practice ones I found online, but the spatial reasoning was ok as I had done loads of practice ones. Got the e-mail saying "We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application" so hopefully thats good news. Best of luck to everyone else!

This is a very usefull site for practicing the spatial reasoning one and others....http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/spatialtest.htm
Original post by ChiBo
That's one of the reasons I completed mine as soon it was available, in case of technical error. I did mine a day after it was available to let others test it out first :tongue:

Good luck with the tests! And hope it gets resolved soon!

Me too. I just wanted to get it out the way as well really. I am kind of regretting doing the essay questions so early though, because a lot of information has come out since then, but no point worrying, can't change anything now. Just go to hope for the best!
Reply 3229
Failed. :frown: I have serious concerns about the method now I've seen it... Do they want biologists/chemists or accountants? I should have practiced more I guess but, as others said, I don't think this is the most appropriate selection method. I hope next year it's different and the tests are based on verbal and logic reasoning instead. I always pass logic (IQ) and verbal tests easily so I'm gutted they didn't put that logic test one first at least (heck I'm even member of a certain international high iq society!), I have so many awards and qualifications, but no, it was not enough apparently. :rolleyes: At least they will get a good accountant. LOL
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by g.grant1
Just finished my tests this minute, the numerical section was a lot harder than any practice ones I found online, but the spatial reasoning was ok as I had done loads of practice ones. Got the e-mail saying "We will aim to start contacting candidates in April to inform you on the outcome of your application" so hopefully thats good news. Best of luck to everyone else!

This is a very usefull site for practicing the spatial reasoning one and others....http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/spatialtest.htm

did you answer allthe questions on spatial?
Original post by nisot
...you come across a bit arrogant and you might want to tone this down a bit ... I got a 1st ... dean's list ... won the national microbiology prize, ... london merit award scheme ... a highly relevant PhD ... authorship, in Nature.

LOL!

pot, kettle, black. That was something else!

in other news, my girlfriend freaked out after first test (numerical) - had to calm her down over the phone; she was near to tears I think! Anyway, calmed her down and she wasn't rejected.

onwards and upwards to the next stage of rejection. commiseration's to those who have missed out.

As an engineer, these types of tests seem perfectly relevant to me; admittedly the timescales seem a bit extreme but i get the impression that healthcare can be an extremely stressful environment, which the timing would hope to emulate.

The numerical skills perhaps less so, but certainly the logical test is meant to reflect a persons ability to analyse a problem and reach a logical conclusion; again a useful skill when diagnosing a problem?

I can however understand how it is easy for me to reflect on their usefulness as they have not caused a stumbling block to my partners progress. The milkround application software however; now that was horrendous!
Reply 3232
Update for my friend: she had applied to cardiovascular and she failed today, too. She was the last person I expected to fail! I want to "laugh" now because my friend has been offered positions by both Cambridge and Harvard professors on the spot, just by seeing her cardiovascular work presentations in international conferences last year. They were actually fighting for her! LOL She declined because she's still in contract. She has Masters, PhD and 5 years postdoc, ALL in cardiovascular sciences, two Nature publications, awards from Oxford Uni and from British Heart Foundation, works 7 to 9 every day under huge pressure and she still failed the numerical. Because she hadn't practiced enough in accountancy obviously. LOL Just like me she would have preferred LOGIC ones instead, as they are more reflective of one's mind ability. As I said I want to "laugh" because the numerical tests can be a joke in terms of reflecting one's real SCIENCE skills. In the end, they may give you a FANTASTIC accountant but a bad scientist.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3233
I would agree that a scientific approach would be at odds with the requirements of the test, i.e. methodical and rigorous as opposed to quick and on the fly. But with a deluge of applications and only so many hours in the day this is an easy routine way to reduce that number in a "positive" way.

It may appear cynical, as it will eliminate some great candidates, but it presumably also eliminates far more ineligible candidates, resulting in a manageable population of applicants to shortlist, a larger cross section of which would be eligible for the roles available.

Of course I'm only saying this because it seems I passed. I do feel for those that failed though.
Reply 3234
It seems like most people know someone who failed the tests. How many people do you think applied this year?
Reply 3235
Original post by UpliftMof0
LOL!

pot, kettle, black. That was something else!

in other news, my girlfriend freaked out after first test (numerical) - had to calm her down over the phone; she was near to tears I think! Anyway, calmed her down and she wasn't rejected.

onwards and upwards to the next stage of rejection. commiseration's to those who have missed out.

As an engineer, these types of tests seem perfectly relevant to me; admittedly the timescales seem a bit extreme but i get the impression that healthcare can be an extremely stressful environment, which the timing would hope to emulate.

The numerical skills perhaps less so, but certainly the logical test is meant to reflect a persons ability to analyse a problem and reach a logical conclusion; again a useful skill when diagnosing a problem?

I can however understand how it is easy for me to reflect on their usefulness as they have not caused a stumbling block to my partners progress. The milkround application software however; now that was horrendous!

Yes thanks for taking my post out of context. If only you had better things to do with your time.
Out of interest, would you also be attending the interview for your girlfriend?:rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by neuneu
I would agree that a scientific approach would be at odds with the requirements of the test, i.e. methodical and rigorous as opposed to quick and on the fly. But with a deluge of applications and only so many hours in the day this is an easy routine way to reduce that number in a "positive" way.

It may appear cynical, as it will eliminate some great candidates, but it presumably also eliminates far more ineligible candidates, resulting in a manageable population of applicants to shortlist, a larger cross section of which would be eligible for the roles available.

Of course I'm only saying this because it seems I passed. I do feel for those that failed though.

I've been thinking about it and I agree with this post to be honest. It is a shame that the tests will mean some very good candidates get rejected, however I think overall it will weed out mostly bad ones. The thing is these tests aren't exactly unusual either, they are used in pretty much every graduate scheme out there and even in medicine. So there must be some correlation between performance in these tests and job performance. I suppose it is easy for me to say having passed them myself, but I suppose with the amount of people applying the NHS must feel that losing a few good candidates is no big loss. Like you though, I do feel for people who have failed, but sadly that is the nature of these types of schemes I suppose.
Reply 3237
Original post by nisot
Freyr do you attend UCL by any chance? the things you've written like the stats test for projects etc makes me wonder. Also you come across a bit arrogant and you might want to tone this down a bit especially IF you do get to the interview stage. I got a 1st for my genetics degree (actual not predicted), I was on the dean's list, I've won the national microbiology prize, I was a runner up for a london merit award scheme held at the house of parliament. I am in the final year of a highly relevant PhD and have published a paper for which I have authorship, in Nature. I don't assume I will be shortlisted as the programme is highly competitive and I am competeting with the best of the bests.
You can't be too cocky as a scientist :wink:, especially when dealing with the life of patients.

Yes I am a UCL student, but by no means am I confident at all, of course i'll try my best to get a position, however, i'm realistic, hence i'm making backups, even if I don't like those backups!
Reply 3238
Ct
Original post by Freyr
Yes I am a UCL student, but by no means am I confident at all, of course i'll try my best to get a position, however, i'm realistic, hence i'm making backups, even if I don't like those backups!

Good luck! The UCL genetic modules are pretty good so you have an advantage. I haven't done genetics in a while so I didn't bother applying for it!
Reply 3239
Original post by nisot
Ct

Good luck! The UCL genetic modules are pretty good so you have an advantage. I haven't done genetics in a while so I didn't bother applying for it!

Thanks, you're applyng for microbiology? Good luck to you too!

Also, I apologise if i've appeared arrogant or condescending to anyone. I understand how difficult it must be to be rejected after youv'e put so much effert into your application... Afterall, i've gotten quite a few rejections from accounting jobs (also after a VERY long application form), but after practicing loads and loads of those annoying test, i'm now fairly confident in my ability to pass them
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending