The Student Room Group

Are my A Levels the right choice for Law Uni?!

At GCSE I got an A*, A, 6Bs, 2Cs and a D. I'm half way through my AS year now at Sixth form and I've taken Law, Business Studies, Classical Civilization and English Literature. I know my GCSE's weren't fantastic and have been ill advised on which A Levels to take but I want to know what I can do extra to be a decent contender decent Universities, (Some where like Leeds or Nottingham)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Most Law courses prefer you not to take law. And it also depends on what type of Law you want to study.
Original post by jburrows114187
At GCSE I got an A*, A, 6Bs, 2Cs and a D. I'm half way through my AS year now at Sixth form and I've taken Law, Business Studies, Classical Civilization and English Literature. I know my GCSE's weren't fantastic and have been ill advised on which A Levels to take but I want to know what I can do extra to be a decent contender decent Universities, (Nottingham and Leeds decent, not Cambridge and Oxford decent)? :smile:

Well you can forget oxbridge. Don't take law, take an essay writing subjects and or history subjects.
Reply 3
At GCSE I got an A*, A, 6Bs, 2Cs and a D. I'm half way through my AS year now at Sixth form and I've taken Law, Business Studies, Classical Civilization and English Literature. I know my GCSE's weren't fantastic and have been ill advised on which A Levels to take but I want to know what I can do extra to be a decent contender decent Universities, (Nottingham and Leeds decent, not Cambridge and Oxford decent)? :smile:

Business studies and Law are seen as soft subjects among the top uni's, among the other unis around the top end, some will prefer you not to have law. Though it can still be possible to get an offer though a bit difficult.

Recommend you keep the other 2 for A2...
Reply 4

Your GCSE grades are fine, not amazing, but good AS grades will make up for it :smile:
Your A level choices are not bad at all, there isn't much numeracy there, which some law schools do like surprisingly, however careful selection of your A2's should put you in good sted to get into a great uni.

In my opinion i would carry Law and English Lit on to A2 (definitely)! and then which ever you do best in between Classical Civ and Business. The view that Law A level is not respected if you want to peruse a Law degree is simply not true. I'm not applying for Law myself, however I know several who are and have successfully attained places at Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter, having taken A2 Law.

I would suggest you get some work experience at a solicitors, clerical work etc and if possible work at a Court (magistrate/Crown)-Most candidates will have this... If you have the opportunity to take an Extended Project-DO IT! It's excellent preparation for University, and will show dedication to your course (if you pick a subject related to Law).

Good Luck-If you have any questions about the Extended Project, or simply applying for uni just ask :smile:
Reply 5
Sorry, but universities prefer that you didn't take Law at A level, and Business Studies isn't seen as a very traditional or academic subject. But, your GCSEs are good and as long as you do great in your A levels and do a lot of extra curricular activities and get work experience hopefully you'll get a place at a university. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by raff:)
Sorry, but universities prefer that you didn't take Law at A level, and Business Studies isn't seen as a very traditional or academic subject. But, your GCSEs are good and as long as you do great in your A levels and do a lot of extra curricular activities and get work experience hopefully you'll get a place at a university. :smile:

That is simply not true! My head of sixth form has spoken to admissions tutors at every Russell group at 1994 Uni-they all see it as on par with subjects such as History and English. Where have you actually got the information from that says Law is not respected.

I do agree with your view on Business however (but as a fourth AS i dont think it would make a huge difference to the majority of universities) :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Jackkkkk
That is simply not true! My head of sixth form has spoken to admissions tutors at every Russell group at 1994 Uni-they all see it as on par with subjects such as History and English. Where have you actually got the information from that says Law is not respected.

I do agree with your view on Business however (but as a fourth AS i dont think it would make a huge difference to the majority of universities) :smile:

Hmm, really? Fair enough then. I've been told many times it's better that you don't as you will be learning that again at university so it's a waste of an A level. Just saw this:

"The country's top universities have been called on to come clean about an unofficial list or lists of "banned" A-level subjects that may have prevented tens of thousands of state school pupils getting on to degree courses.

Teachers suspect the Russell Group of universities which includes Oxford and Cambridge of rejecting outright pupils who take A-level subjects that appear on the unpublished lists.

The lists are said to contain subjects such as law, art and design, business studies, drama and theatre studies non-traditional A-level subjects predominantly offered by comprehensives, rather than private schools."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/aug/20/a-level-subjects-blacklist-claim

But you said your head of sixth form spoke to admission tutors and they said it was okay, so idk now aha. :smile:
Your GCSE grades are fine, not amazing, but good AS grades will make up for it :smile:
Your A level choices are not bad at all, there isn't much numeracy there, which some law schools do like surprisingly, however careful selection of your A2's should put you in good sted to get into a great uni.

In my opinion i would carry Law and English Lit on to A2 (definitely)! and then which ever you do best in between Classical Civ and Business. The view that Law A level is not respected if you want to peruse a Law degree is simply not true. I'm not applying for Law myself, however I know several who are and have successfully attained places at Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter, having taken A2 Law.

I would suggest you get some work experience at a solicitors, clerical work etc and if possible work at a Court (magistrate/Crown)-Most candidates will have this... If you have the opportunity to take an Extended Project-DO IT! It's excellent preparation for University, and will show dedication to your course (if you pick a subject related to Law).

Good Luck-If you have any questions about the Extended Project, or simply applying for uni just ask :smile:

Would respectfully disagree. Classics and English are considered more highly than Law and Business.
Reply 9
Original post by CJM13
Would respectfully disagree. Classics and English are considered more highly than Law and Business.

I agree with you with the English, Classical Civ (which is veryyyy different to Classics) is probably on parr with Law in my opinion :smile:

But yes both above Business.
Reply 10
Hmm, really? Fair enough then. I've been told many times it's better that you don't as you will be learning that again at university so it's a waste of an A level. Just saw this:

"The country's top universities have been called on to come clean about an unofficial list or lists of "banned" A-level subjects that may have prevented tens of thousands of state school pupils getting on to degree courses.

Teachers suspect the Russell Group of universities which includes Oxford and Cambridge of rejecting outright pupils who take A-level subjects that appear on the unpublished lists.

The lists are said to contain subjects such as law, art and design, business studies, drama and theatre studies non-traditional A-level subjects predominantly offered by comprehensives, rather than private schools."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2010/aug/20/a-level-subjects-blacklist-claim

But you said your head of sixth form spoke to admission tutors and they said it was okay, so idk now aha. :smile:

Fair enough :smile: But yeah my head of sixth who teaches law and went to Bristol, said it wont be a hindrance to any applicant apllying for Law at any uni-and from the students I know doing Law at uni/have offers-they ALL do A2 law (Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham all in that selection of Uni's).

I don't think A level choices matter to the extent that grades do (within reason of course :P)
(edited 12 years ago)
I agree with you with the English, Classical Civ (which is veryyyy different to Classics) is probably on parr with Law in my opinion :smile:

But yes both above Business.

Sorry, I'm just too lazy to write Classical Civ. :biggrin: This isn't my opinion, I'm just going by the Cambridge subject "ranking".
Reply 12
Original post by CJM13
Sorry, I'm just too lazy to write Classical Civ. :biggrin: This isn't my opinion, I'm just going by the Cambridge subject "ranking".

Ahhh I see, haha dw lol. Well I looked at that and I think should be taken with a pinch of salt :P It says Psychology is in category B, whilst religious studies in category A (perceived harder). I do both these subjects at A2-and I can say with some certainty that Psychology (which I have applied to read at uni) is a lot harder than Religious Studies.
Reply 13
Fair enough :smile: But yeah my head of sixth who teaches law and went to Bristol, said it wont be a hindrance to any applicant apllying for Law at any uni-and from the students I know doing Law at uni/have offers-they ALL to law (Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham all in that selection of Uni's).

I don't think A level choices matter to the extent that grades do (within reason of course :P)

Ah, I see. I guess it's just a difference in opinion then?

Lol, I guess so. :smile:
Reply 14
Ah, I see. I guess it's just a difference in opinion then?

Lol, I guess so. :smile:

Yeah... Have you applied to read Law then? If so where? :smile:
The view that Law A level is not respected if you want to peruse a Law degree is simply not true. I'm not applying for Law myself, however I know several who are and have successfully attained places at Cambridge, Bristol, Nottingham and Exeter, having taken A2 Law.

Pursue?

Law is an okay A-level to have for application to law schools, though opinions may differ between admissions tutors. You get a lot of cocky undergrads who come in with preconceptions which need to be broken, and some academics simply don't want to deal with that. Success or otherwise will also depend to a great extent on what the competition is offering.
Reply 16
Original post by TurboCretin
Pursue?

Law is an okay A-level to have for application to law schools, though opinions may differ between admissions tutors. You get a lot of cocky undergrads who come in with preconceptions which need to be broken, and some academics simply don't want to deal with that. Success or otherwise will also depend to a great extent on what the competition is offering.

One typing error, there really isn't a need to pick it out, but thanks anyhow, and yes pursue :P

Yes quite obvious comments there, however very generalised. I think the skills learnt from an A level in law would be beneficial to undergraduate Law, and any degree for that matter. However yes, as you say-some undergraduates may well have preconceptions-but the same can be said for A level Psychology, Geography, Philosophy and especially Mathematics :smile:

I really do think grades have more influence than subject choice (within reason as I have said before )

:smile:
Reply 17
Yeah... Have you applied to read Law then? If so where? :smile:

Noo! I'm in Year 11! I'm not planning on doing Law in the future either xD How about you? :smile:
Reply 18
Noo! I'm in Year 11! I'm not planning on doing Law in the future either xD How about you? :smile:

Oh okay haha! What are you planning to take?

Im in Y13-going to do Experimental Psychology at Bristol next year, provided I get the grades.
Reply 19
Oh okay haha! What are you planning to take?

Im in Y13-going to do Experimental Psychology at Bristol next year, provided I get the grades.

For A level I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography. I'm hoping to do Dentistry at University, but it's too competitive! :eek:

Oh awesome, good luck! Hopefully you'll get the grades. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending