The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9360
Original post by Mushi_master
Way more social, you're living with these guys and also alot of the doctors are living on site (mess parties ftw!). I found it like halls, only way more fun.

In terms of teaching - people just seem to have more time for you, plus they know who you are and you don't become another random medical student scouring the wards hunting for someone to clerk. You certainly feel much more part of the team.

As far as cool rare stuff goes, you'll probably see more of that in teaching hospitals but you'll quickly realise that's not the stuff you need to read up on and know about.

My two favourite placements this year have both been away from our main teaching hospital. Definitely down to the place considering one of them was obs and gynae and I'm not a o&g person.
Hmm, in the process of putting placement preferences down for next year too and although the out-firms apparently have better teaching, I'm worried about having an out-firm as my last firm at the end of the year when I probably want a bit off leeway to allow me to go away and revise - apparently on out-firms they are well strict with timetabling and where you are meant to be etc which isn't always the case on an in-firm. :s
Variable with regards to sociable outfirms. If you get a good bunch or people you know, it can be great and mess nights out are always a laugh. Or you could get hit with a bunch of book medics who never leave their room and have a miserable 9 weeks. Either way, it is damn hard to keep up with your uni social life on an outfirm.
Reply 9363
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
That's a good shout actually - I used to be in a band prior to uni. Was a lot of fun. Could get back into it.

Do it!

Mate, I miss playing in a band so much, couldn't find anyone around uni and prob should have looked harder really. Used to play in a death metal band, was great fun. Unfortunately kinda niche so hard to come by!

Yeah I can see the appeal in death metal, but not for me (my flatmate used to drum in a death band though). I'm a big Opeth fan but that's as close as I'll get.

Ugh - 2 weeks til my dissertation presentation, and my project supervisor is leaving tomorrow for the interim to go do some physics nd stuff in Japan... good times! :awesome:

BUT on the other hand, I'm currently messing around making important engineering diagrams in google sketchup - I'd thoroughly recommend this freeware awesomeness to anyone else with too much time on their hands! :colone:

Human remains found in the woods just near my medical school.

That's horrible... :/ And quite scary :s-smilie:

Oh gosh, how old? :frown:

I hate that this is my peak time for getting work done, its a stupid routine I've gotten into from working late. But I can't find a biro anywhere, why do I lose all my pens. But poster presentation (its internal for all the iBSc medics so nothing too exciting but there is a prize...) on Thursday and Friday and I'm quite looking forward to it :biggrin:
Original post by crazylemon
Outfirms have meant other than the non medics I live with I see my non medic friends once every few weeks...

Also realised how little I know and how much I need to know in 11 weeks time. ****. **** ****idty ****.

Hahah try 5 weeks mate.

And I don't even have the fear in the slightest.

Good times
Original post by Philosoraptor
Hahah try 5 weeks mate.

And I don't even have the fear in the slightest.

Good times

Try 3....for finals.
Original post by digitalis
Try 3....for finals.

Aye, but what exciting place are you off to afterwards?
Original post by digitalis
Try 3....for finals.

It's not the same!
You're a real medical student who actually does work haha. I reckon you'd pass finals right now...
It's not the same!
You're a real medical student who actually does work haha. I reckon you'd pass finals right now...

I'd have been willing to bet he'd have passed finals if it was last year.
Have any of you ever written a Pitch to the Student BMJ? If so did you get a reply? :smile:
Original post by planetconwy1
Have any of you ever written a Pitch to the Student BMJ? If so did you get a reply? :smile:

I have and I got a reply quite quickly, they were really nice and helpful. Definitely worth an email I think. That reminds me, I need to actually get on and write my article now! Toooo much to doooooo. Good luck with yours!
Original post by mrs_bellamy
I have and I got a reply quite quickly, they were really nice and helpful. Definitely worth an email I think. That reminds me, I need to actually get on and write my article now! Toooo much to doooooo. Good luck with yours!

Thats great! Good luck with your article. How quickly did they reply? Was it the same day?
So may have signed a disclaimer to probably be on 24 hours in a&e. Perhaps that was a bad idea.
So may have signed a disclaimer to probably be on 24 hours in a&e. Perhaps that was a bad idea.

You'll have to let us know when you're making your appearance on tv :colone:

Never heard of it - what channel etc?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
You'll have to let us know when you're making your appearance on tv :colone:

I'm just hoping they're gonna use something that makes me look ok and not a 'look at that useless medical student standing around scratching his arse' or something!
Never heard of it - what channel etc?

On channel 4, think there's been a couple of series now, all filmed at KCH.

Latest

Trending

Trending