The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL student experience?

I have got all my offers back and i am going to do a physics masters course. i've narrowed it down to sussex and ucl. i know people here will be a bit bias but could you try and give me an idea of what its like being a student in london. the only thing holding me back from firming ucl is the fact that sussex is right next to brighton so will have a really good night life plus its a campus. is having a city based university good in your opinion? and could you also try and give me an idea of how expensive it actually is living in london. how much do you spend on going out in a week and do you think its a good student experience overall compared to a campus university.

thanks for the help just need an idea of what its actually like being a student in london
Firstly UCL is right in the middle of the city, so if your looking for a night life you couldn't go to a better place.

I recently went for an Open Day and simply fell in love with the place. It literally has everything! Best go for UCL mate. :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
thats what i've been thinking. the only things im worried about with ucl are that maybe it might not be as good a student experience being in a city, obviously better nightlife, but as far as student life goes whether its as good as a campus? and also if its gonna be really expensive to have a good time. plus ucl is a better uni reputation wise.
Reply 3
Hi :smile:

You know what, I'm having the EXACT same issue! I think I'm gonna choose UCL and Sussex as my top choices, but I'm so so worried that I just won't enjoy student life at UCL, like going out, money, friends, just the whole experience really. I absolutely fell in love with Sussex and Brighton, but I know that UCL will provide me with better career prospects...but I just don't know if I'd be happy. People say you learn to love wherever you end up going, but I don't want to live in London for 3 years being unhappy and not enjoying myself. I know that it is a good Uni and 3rd in the country to do what I want to do (Psychology), but I'm still so confused...

If someone could give me their honest opinion, I would be ever so grateful!

Original post by jazzamia
Hi :smile:

You know what, I'm having the EXACT same issue! I think I'm gonna choose UCL and Sussex as my top choices, but I'm so so worried that I just won't enjoy student life at UCL, like going out, money, friends, just the whole experience really. I absolutely fell in love with Sussex and Brighton, but I know that UCL will provide me with better career prospects...but I just don't know if I'd be happy. People say you learn to love wherever you end up going, but I don't want to live in London for 3 years being unhappy and not enjoying myself. I know that it is a good Uni and 3rd in the country to do what I want to do (Psychology), but I'm still so confused...

If someone could give me their honest opinion, I would be ever so grateful!

I can give you an honest opinion, but it might still be biased :P UCL is great. It's met every one of my student needs with the possible exception of 11-a-side football pitches, which they do have but are outside central london
Reply 5
applying to UCL myself and knowing lots of people that actually go there i can say that you shouldnt worry about the student experience.

the whole university of london union is next to UCL so they always have things going on for you to do as a student.

you then have UCL activities that you can do.

UCL provides not only a leading education but its also one of the most relaxing places to study i have heard. Compared to Imperial and Oxbridge etc its much more laid back allowing you time to grow as a person.

This is just from what i have heard and therefore i have chosen ucl as my firm but don't take any of what ive said as a fact its a big decision and one you should make with care. all the best everyone!
Reply 6
Original post by Onearmedbandit
I can give you an honest opinion, but it might still be biased :P UCL is great. It's met every one of my student needs with the possible exception of 11-a-side football pitches, which they do have but are outside central london

Is it? I'm glad people are saying they enjoy it there - makes me feel better! I won't need to worry about football, hate sport! :wink: How are living expenses in London? eg. rent, money for food, going out, travel etc etc
Reply 7
Good university, only drawback is the cost, to get through the year with just your loan is going to be a hard task.
Reply 8
Original post by meraphox
applying to UCL myself and knowing lots of people that actually go there i can say that you shouldnt worry about the student experience.

the whole university of london union is next to UCL so they always have things going on for you to do as a student.

you then have UCL activities that you can do.

UCL provides not only a leading education but its also one of the most relaxing places to study i have heard. Compared to Imperial and Oxbridge etc its much more laid back allowing you time to grow as a person.

This is just from what i have heard and therefore i have chosen ucl as my firm but don't take any of what ive said as a fact its a big decision and one you should make with care. all the best everyone!

That's a good point, actually, because we'd be within the whole University of London network, so there would be a lot of things to do and a lot of people to make friends with! :smile:

Oh really? That's reassauring to hear that, because I was wondering how pressurised it would be studying there. What is it you are going to study? And thank you, you too!
Reply 9
Original post by FloydRix
Good university, only drawback is the cost, to get through the year with just your loan is going to be a hard task.

Hmmm, that's what I'm worried about, to be honest. I'm thinking maybe it would be better to go to another uni as money would be less tight and I'd have more fun.

Is the struggle with money worth going to UCL though?! :wink:
Original post by jazzamia
Is it? I'm glad people are saying they enjoy it there - makes me feel better! I won't need to worry about football, hate sport! :wink: How are living expenses in London? eg. rent, money for food, going out, travel etc etc

Admittedly, money things are tougher now than in my first year, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be! Rent is expensive, but travel is fine and you can eat and drink as cheaply as anywhere if you know where to go!

What are you interested in? Jazz? :biggrin:
Reply 11
I'm glad people are still able to manage! Probably need to get a job still, though. I am hoping to do doing Psychology Bsc in September, then hope to do a Phd in clinical psychology. How about you?
Reply 12
Hey! That's what I want to do. Expect maybe do an MSc in Forensic psychology. UCL is my dream university but I am an international student who has never been to London. Do you have any tips?
Hi! I want to apply to UCL (Computer Science), but for some reason, it has a really low student satisfaction score in thecompleteuniversityguide. Does anyone know why that is the case?
Hello, I come from Serbia! I am really interested in applying for UCL MA, can someone give a hint about what is crucial while applying? And what are the odds of getting full (tuition living costs)?

Quick Reply