The Student Room Group

The Martial Arts Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Einheri
Not at all. You said it was "just a sport" and I gave examples of why it isn't "just a sport" - that it has martial application unlike my examples of volleyball and tennis which are just sports. .

boxing is a sport, that has application in real life scenario. Judo has less so. i have nothing against sports.
Many of the techniques you described are designed for use in a dojo on mats- that point has been made on numerous occassion to your avoidance. Many are were developed specifcally in the the dojo environment and sporting competiton and therefore useless in real life -for example various collar chokes using opponents gi or using the sleeve of your gi - which only work because the judo gi material is built totally heavily for the purpose of wrestling - normal clothes will just tear with your trying these maneouvers - whereas amrtial arts students are taught this early and therefore domt waste time learning uselss techniques such as those.
Finally judoplayers only ever have to think about feet postioning, balance, grip of handels etc and have a referee to look after everything else. Outside of a dojo, the referee isnt pulling up your opponenet for breaking of strict judo rules. A proper martial artisit with training in cqc would quite frankly put you out of commission long before you even had the idea of throwing him over your hip, and probably leave you with some serious permanent damage to take back to your dojo. And you would have never even heard of him on youtube.

Original post by Einheri

And I'm sure that if you picked a fight with a sumo wrestler you'd be really sorry about it afterwards. Something having a sportive aspect doesn't necessarily diminish its effectiveness as a martial art. .

The last thing i would do is pick a fight with a sumo wrestler- if one was annoyed at me, i would spend a few minutes avoiding him till he lost his breath and needed to sit down- a bit like your high-level judo clip there.

Original post by Einheri
He is a very prominent, skilled and widely admired Jiu-jitsu practioner, and yes he is a Gracie.

"Literally rape" - I'm saying you'd be helpless and they could do whatever the hell they wanted with you because they're amazing grapplers.

Yeh, of course.

Original post by Einheri

Funny you say that when your "martial art" of choice involves hours of ill-disguised patty cake with other men. .

Again,yeh of course. :rolleyes:

Original post by Einheri
Not fat at all. I'm not ashamed to say that I got caught and didn't tap quick enough, I wouldn't have even mentioned it if it hurt my pride at all. He shoots . . . he misses..

Well if 18 stone fatboys can be judo champions, theres no reason why 9 year old girls cant choke out clueless judo players i supposse. No reason it should have hurt your pride, kind of fits in with all the other sub standard martial arts knowledge you display anyway.

Original post by Einheri

Despite it being the most widely practiced martial art in his native Japan? You make some spurious claim and I refute it with a quote from the founder himself and this is your response? Weak, very weak.

Hardly - stating facts like sumo DID influence kano in his development of judo, he did, along with japanese businessmen, try selling it to americans and the west and the fact that people describe judo as the "watered down version of ju-jistsu" that the japanese didnt want to export to the west in its full form.

Facts are hardly spurious, you need a dictionery.

PS football has become the most popular sport in my country, what does that have to do with anything?
(edited 12 years ago)
I just wrote a big post replying to indo-chinese food and then my internet screwed up and I lost it. Ain't writing that out again, I'll let Einheri prove you wrong.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
I just wrote a big post replying to indo-chinese food and then my internet screwed up and I lost it. Ain't writing that out again, I'll let Einheri prove you wrong.

Clearly your use of the internet is adept as your martial arts knowledge.
Hopefully you can still access youtube, otherwise you would have no frame of reference
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
Clearly your use of the internet is adept as your martial arts knowledge.
Hopefully you can still access youtube, otherwise you would have no frame of reference

It's funny, I didn't even reply to your post and you're still looking for ways to be douche. You go on about being a real martial artist and yet you have absolutely zero respect for people at all. That's one of the few things I actually admire about a lot of traditional martial arts... they tend to be ineffective but they at least improve a person's character. Obviously not in your case...
It's funny, I didn't even reply to your post and you're still looking for ways to be douche. You go on about being a real martial artist and yet you have absolutely zero respect for people at all. That's one of the few things I actually admire about a lot of traditional martial arts... they tend to be ineffective but they at least improve a person's character. Obviously not in your case...

i have respect for lot of people, you cant train different martial arts and not have respect for different points of view. I jsut dont like one-eyed views that are frankly wrong and uninformative to people coming on tsr for advice.
Your backward view that traditional martial arts 'dont work' for self defence becuase they dont feature in simplistic ufc or sports environments - is wrong. sorry if it upsets you to hear that.
I couldnt possibly say one martial art is 'better for self defence' than the other - they all have specific effectiveness in real time scenarios, and their real effectiveness will depend on the practitioner - otherwise they would have ceased to exist hundreds of years ago. but because of tv and competiton events, sports combat grabs the attention of the ignorant student better.
i have respect for lot of people, you cant train different martial arts and not have respect for different points of view. I jsut dont like one-eyed views that are frankly wrong and uninformative to people coming on tsr for advice.
Your backward view that traditional martial arts 'dont work' for self defence becuase they dont feature in simplistic ufc or sports environments - is wrong. sorry if it upsets you to hear that.
I couldnt possibly say one martial art is 'better for self defence' than the other - they all have specific effectiveness in real time scenarios, and their real effectiveness will depend on the practitioner - otherwise they would have ceased to exist hundreds of years ago. but because of tv and competiton events, sports combat grabs the attention of the ignorant student better.

One-eyed views? You consistently talk crap about judo and other 'sports' martial arts and now you're trying to pretend that you respect other martial arts. Please, you're rude, ignorant and not worth anyone's time.
One-eyed views? You consistently talk crap about judo and other 'sports' martial arts and now you're trying to pretend that you respect other martial arts. Please, you're rude, ignorant and not worth anyone's time.

i have much respect for watching judoplayers as a sporting spectacle, just like i watch football, boxing, athletics.
I dont subcribe to the dimwitted view that "duuh judo is da best cos its best for throwing ppl around like on da youtube and better dan da old martial arts i watch in da movies :dunce:
i have much respect for watching judoplayers as a sporting spectacle, just like i watch football, boxing, athletics.
I dont subcribe to the dimwitted view that "duuh judo is da best cos its best for throwing ppl around like on da youtube and better dan da old martial arts i watch in da movies :dunce:

You clearly don't considering you constantly go on about how people are 'rolling around in their pajamas'.

I don't even believe that you should 'respect' every other martial art. You don't understand that you can disagree with a person and not personally attack them as you insist on doing. I wouldn't care if you didn't respect the martial arts that we practise, as long as you didn't put on the false guise that you did and didn't resort to ad hominem attacks when you're in no position to do so.

Also, yeah, I watch videos on youtube, watching fighting is one of the best ways to learn. I watch, take note in my head and try it out in training, often with positive effects. Oh and I train everyday :wink:
You clearly don't considering you constantly go on about how people are 'rolling around in their pajamas'.

I don't even believe that you should 'respect' every other martial art. You don't understand that you can disagree with a person and not personally attack them as you insist on doing. I wouldn't care if you didn't respect the martial arts that we practise, as long as you didn't put on the false guise that you did and didn't resort to ad hominem attacks when you're in no position to do so.

Also, yeah, I watch videos on youtube, watching fighting is one of the best ways to learn. I watch, take note in my head and try it out in training, often with positive effects. Oh and I train everyday :wink:

For you it works = you probably can learn judo online from youtube.
You cannot do the same for martial arts, its far more complex, intricate and time consuming and various techniques are guarded deliberately from the dimwit bedroom-warriors
For you it works = you probably can learn judo online from youtube.
You cannot do the same for martial arts, its far more complex, intricate and time consuming and various techniques are guarded deliberately from the dimwit bedroom-warriors

I still have a judo coach, and he's a 9th dan...

There's nothing wrong with watching techniques online, you can learn things and then put them into practice at the dojo. Many many pros do it.

Also, lol more ad hominem.
Indo, I've trained in both combat sports and traditional martial arts - neither has the monopoly on complexity. You do yourself no favours by bemoaning the false dichotomy between the two while perpetuating it in all your posts.
Original post by SEHughes
Indo, I've trained in both combat sports and traditional martial arts - neither has the monopoly on complexity. You do yourself no favours by bemoaning the false dichotomy between the two while perpetuating it in all your posts.

We are talking about judo- which is the epitomy of combat sports - ie take a rounded and effective self-defence style (ju jitsu) and dumb it down for exclusive use in a dojo, teaching in schools to kids and eventually sports competiton. Thats the history of judo ina nutshell. mma has effectively followed the same formula, but mainly due to the money involved in sports tv boradcasting. The very fact that within judo (and sports mma) is outlawed various techniques that in a proper confrontation would be quick, effective and useful proves that "dichotomy"
Original post by Einheri
I know; I've stopped replying to his posts unless I'm really bored. Kung Fool Logic - like Woman Logic only even more illogical, haha.

I remember that. Funny because I've never been to a Judo club that does more than 10% ne-waza. :rolleyes:

:

:

:

I can settle all your bitching in one short post -

There is grappling style in Chinese Kung Fu, its called Shuai jiao and it pre dates judo, sambo, greek wrestling etc by hundreds of years. Itself it came from one of the more ancient Indian wrestling styles whoose name escapes me now, i think from south india, where throws and also joint locks and submissions were allowed - as well as taking some influence from tibetan and mongolian wrestling.

I know this because my previous sifu competed in national championships in china few years back - in competiton it is extremly similar to judo but without the full gis, so not so much sleeves and collar takedowns, but does allow some limited distraction striking , open palm only i think.

Observe some class grappling - ignore the 60 seconds upfront of bjj guys used as comparison, the two chinese kung fu guys later take it to the level, - note 2.06m at reversal of the single leg attempt.

[video="youtube;QuVhGKEIcxE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuVhGKEIcxE&feature=rela ted[/video]

And for the record, im full-on kung fu trained and would wipe the floor with you all if was in the mood :lockstock:

Edit - lol Truth hurts eh? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
We are talking about judo- which is the epitomy of combat sports - ie take a rounded and effective self-defence style (ju jitsu) and dumb it down for exclusive use in a dojo, teaching in schools to kids and eventually sports competiton. Thats the history of judo ina nutshell. mma has effectively followed the same formula, but mainly due to the money involved in sports tv boradcasting. The very fact that within judo (and sports mma) is outlawed various techniques that in a proper confrontation would be quick, effective and useful proves that "dichotomy"

You can't train these techniques without hurting your training partners or resorting to worthless kata forms. Take Kani-Basami as an example of this - it's very easy to break uke's knee with it because it applies inward pressure to the side of the knee joint if you jump on too hard. It was banned because people were breaking their training partners' knees with it all over the place - you cannot train it safely. And of course live repetition during hard sparring is what gets you good at a technique; forms don't do much good - they're just an outdated medium for preserving techniques. Judo takes techniques that can be safely trained on a mat and repeats them live and in hard sparring over and over and over again so that you're brilliant at it if you did that with my example of Kani-Basami you'd probably have destroyed someone's leg for every 100 repetitions of it. Getting thrown on to a hard surface with most Judo throws will seriously hurt you - something like Osoto Gari will almost certainly crack your skull open on concrete.

To quote your hero Bruce Lee: "I fear not the man who has practiced a 10000 kicks once, but the man who has practiced a kick 10000 times".
(edited 12 years ago)

I love Judo, but it's not the epitome of combat sports, as you would realise if you'd ever trained in BJJ or wrestling which are equally technical.

And yes, all these banned techniques might be effective in an assault (there are no guarantees) - but if you don't have a competence in fighting gained from lots of training with resistance at all ranges, then it's of no use to you. I can't imagine the Anderson Silvas or Mirko Filipovics of this world are, relatively speaking, going to struggle punching someone on the nose or chucking in a knee kick or headbutt. Randy Couture would not struggle to use an eye gouge if the moment presented itself. But take some 10 stone guy who doesn't have the athleticism or the basic skill set to survive even club sparring in these contexts, and then expect him to be able to use some banned technique as a fightstopper in an assault... wishful thinking! Again, there are no guarantees and he might get lucky, but my money's on the guy who's learned to throw a massive right cross.

To reiterate what I said in my first response to you: the dichotomy is not between the combat athletes and the traditionalists, but between the guys who train with resistance and those who don't. I can walk into any boxing, judo, wrestling etc club and find this resistance. The same can't be said of every karate, jujitsu, gongfu etc class.
(edited 12 years ago)
Gong Sau please! Anyone in London?
Original post by Einheri
You can't train these techniques without hurting your training partners or resorting to worthless kata forms. Take Kani-Basami as an example of this - it's very easy to break uke's knee with it because it applies inward pressure to the side of the knee joint if you jump on too hard. It was banned because people were breaking their training partners' knees with it all over the place - you cannot train it safely. And of course live repetition during hard sparring is what gets you good at a technique; forms don't do much good - they're just an outdated medium for preserving techniques. Judo takes techniques that can be safely trained on a mat and repeats them live and in hard sparring over and over and over again so that you're brilliant at it if you did that with my example of Kani-Basami you'd probably have destroyed someone's leg for every 100 repetitions of it. Getting thrown on to a hard surface with most Judo throws will seriously hurt you - something like Osoto Gari will almost certainly crack your skull open on concrete.

To quote your hero Bruce Lee: "I fear not the man who has practiced a 10000 kicks once, but the man who has practiced a kick 10000 times".

I dont know who Kani-Basami is or why she is trying to break uke's knee :confused: But the excuse of not learning a technique because it is damaging is the brainless thinking of sportsmen. Martial artists arnt such if they dont learn the most effective technique for the situation, only the ones that are safest to train. I can see the logic in teaching school kids a dumbed down version, but not grown up martial artists.

I dont know why you keep referring to “deadly techniques” because im not. Proper cqc invloves simple and direct techniques that are effective that is the most important thing. They dont have to be practiced to full “leathality” as you refer if you master the application, the timing, accuracy, you can deliver it hwere needed. In many cases, its little more than a firm grip. The most important thing is speed of thought, which can be trained to become second nature without necessarrily debiltating training partners. In all cases they are much faster and easier to deliver than rolling around for armbars etc. Dont thai boxers and indeed other sparrers pull their punches when trianing ? If they have control they wont necessarrily seriously injure anyone. Even so, if your scared about getting hurt dont train martial arts, boohoo, go do something else. Gets some mats out, a referee and setup a Judo school maybe.
I couldnt count the injuries small and large ive sustained over the years in training, but then I wouldnt exchange it for all the knowledge I have gained.

There are also a variety of techniques form kung fu, for example that can be trained and employed safely as better alternative to wrestling around for throws and clinches- , Chin na is one range dealing directly with people grabbing you and trying to strike or throw see the video clip attached to this schools website

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD8bDbKELbI&feature=player_embedded

Understand that im not against grappling and judo throws - just the basis of creating a style that focusses 100% on it only and is based on sports rules is for kids and fun and not prinicpally for self defence.

When rolling jj with decent gracie students, there was still the odd one that spent too much time in dojo/mma environment who tried pulling guard on me and falling to his back each time competly pointless in real life without rubber mats and canvas to support him. And then I could see his complete lack of basic p point knwledge, he was screaming in agony whenever he pulled guard an I could jab my elbow down into his sciatic. The other guys who have come from a more combat based bjj environment were much more savvy, but still pointed out to me stuff I was doing is illegal in bjj realms, in fact even some simple stuff like certain compression locks are frowned upon in some bjj circles, which makes me laugh really. In terms of self defence theres nothing I would hold back on on an attacker. So not getting familiar with this stuff/not practicing it to become instinct is brainless and basically simplistic . But thats modern mma for you.

From what I know of ”Osoto Gari” its simply a forward press and trip your opponents standing leg it also usually leads to them falling on their side, not their head. Even if not, its laughable that the judo dimwits on this thread expect to be able to walk up to a martial artists, grab them, they proceeded to push them off balance, without receiving a debilitating strike that takes barely a fraction of a second, compared to the drawnout wrestling around judo players getup to. Thats ignoring the fact that most martial artists train for years in recognising and maintaning balance, footwork and speed.

The more you talk about this more holes appear in your basic knowledge of combat.

And like I said before there are as many techniques in judo that could end up cracking your own head on the pavement as your opponenets, so whats the point ?

You refer to bruce lee more than I do even he said the Dos of this world (ju-do, ken-do) are just the over simplided unrealistic aborations of the figting systems (the jitsus). And the gracie bjj academies echo that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
I can settle all your bitching in one short post -

There is grappling style in Chinese Kung Fu, its called Shuai jiao and it pre dates judo, sambo, greek wrestling etc by hundreds of years. Itself it came from one of the more ancient Indian wrestling styles whoose name escapes me now, i think from south india, where throws and also joint locks and submissions were allowed - as well as taking some influence from tibetan and mongolian wrestling.

I know this because my previous sifu competed in national championships in china few years back - in competiton it is extremly similar to judo but without the full gis, so not so much sleeves and collar takedowns, but does allow some limited distraction striking , open palm only i think.

Observe some class grappling - ignore the 60 seconds upfront of bjj guys used as comparison, the two chinese kung fu guys later take it to the level, - note 2.06m at reversal of the single leg attempt.

[video="youtube;QuVhGKEIcxE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuVhGKEIcxE&feature=rela ted[/video]

And for the record, im full-on kung fu trained and would wipe the floor with you all if was in the mood :lockstock:

Edit - lol Truth hurts eh? :smile:

Yes im aware of the origins of judo thanks, and also of shaui jiao- the point wasnt that kung fu doesnt use grappling, it was that it is operated and applied like a martial art. For your basic judo dimwit, as exemplified by einheri et al, judo is all-conquering and kung fu doesnt have a grappling/groundgame to compare. But thanks for disproving their argument outright anyway :thumbsup:

as regards shuaijioa, it can be practiced in competiton form, which is similar to how judo players go ie wrestling and it also has a combat form, like most kung fu styles that are more reality focussed and invloe stayin on your feet more and maintian your balance while your opponenet loses theirs.
The most important thng though is in kung fu, shaui jiao grappling is only one type of technique, to be used in conjunction with distance striking, CQ combat, speed and avoidance of damage. I guessing your sifu didnt specialise only in grappling, whay style of kung fu did he teach?
I love Judo, but it's not the epitome of combat sports, as you would realise if you'd ever trained in BJJ or wrestling which are equally technical.

And yes, all these banned techniques might be effective in an assault (there are no guarantees) - but if you don't have a competence in fighting gained from lots of training with resistance at all ranges, then it's of no use to you. I can't imagine the Anderson Silvas or Mirko Filipovics of this world are, relatively speaking, going to struggle punching someone on the nose or chucking in a knee kick or headbutt. Randy Couture would not struggle to use an eye gouge if the moment presented itself. But take some 10 stone guy who doesn't have the athleticism or the basic skill set to survive even club sparring in these contexts, and then expect him to be able to use some banned technique as a fightstopper in an assault... wishful thinking! Again, there are no guarantees and he might get lucky, but my money's on the guy who's learned to throw a massive right cross.

To reiterate what I said in my first response to you: the dichotomy is not between the combat athletes and the traditionalists, but between the guys who train with resistance and those who don't. I can walk into any boxing, judo, wrestling etc club and find this resistance. The same can't be said of every karate, jujitsu, gongfu etc class.

i think you are missing various points that have already been clarified in this and simillar thread :rolleyes:
i meant epitiome of combat sports to decribe judos backward evolution - the fll form ju jitsu was far more rounded, and specific to real world environment - judo was the watered down version to allow more frequency of use in 'softer environments' and ultimatly for school kids to lean in turn of century japan.
Im not against ptrotective traning techniques, just dont see that a style that is 100% like that it can be classed as a martial art anymore.

And :facepalm: i have trained jj with gracie black belts, please dont even try this avenue. bjj is technical, but much of its techniques can be found in kung fu too, but i have discovered in my time that mma thinking is taking over it. There was even stuff i was using in the clinch or guard, that the gracie guys said they couldnt allow to be practiced - totally illogical.

There are still the traditionalists that train it as it was first developed- for combat and full contact tournement status in the 20s and 30s - as explained to that Powerlift guy, with all the clever techniques that causes damage - hence why those fights generally only lasted 2 or 3 minutes at a time but is is rare you will learn all those techniques in a modern day bjj class over here. Imagine if bjj was practiced like that in the ufc- most fights wouldnt run long enough for advertisers to get any air time and ambulances would be ferrying guys back and forth to the hospital . Doesnt make for good tv

Again you are either mixing up points or losing track of what you are saying - we started tlkig about CQ combat and clinching - now you are talking about stand up striking and andersen silva? I stated to you quite cleary that staying standing on the outside and striking form safe distance and avoiding damage is the best way to defend yourself - this principle is shared by most martial arts as well as kung fu. Andersen silva drills this idea regaulr , so much so that in mma very few competitors are even good enough to touch him.The oppossite principle is applied by judo, wrestling mma etc.

Why would an untrained novice you describe be using 'banned techniques' :confused:? We are talking about decent quality martial artists here. The nastiest fighter i ever saw operate was barely 10 stone id say, 5 ft4 something - he would quite literally have 6ft 3 bouncers, wrestlers and boxers screaming in agony within a second of clinching, or on the ground. I probably only learnt 25% of his CQC techniques that i could apply correctly. It isnt difficult to apply, but it does require undertstanding of positon of nerves, tendons, blood vessels , and accuracy of dleivery, and above all, speed of thought. Grip strenght is also an overlooked point and undertrained - most decent kung fu guys you meet will have a grip like a vice - they understand the difference between trianing fingers to palm grip and training soley the tendons in the fingers and wrist - using years on an eagle cacher, some of these small guys will make you wince simply in shaking their hand. Where as judo, bjj learn about the big movements for submissions, these smaller kung fu guys that dont have big muscle focus on the smallerer accurate movements that can easily disable an opponent. That is the principle of martial arts after all, economy of movment for the best result. someone that has trained cq kung fu for 10+ years and combat jj, is probably your worst knightmare onthe ground.

What you experience in what class you go to is down to the teachers - you can walk into a judo class full of 9 year old brown belts - what does that tell you - you are going to recieve proper 'resistive training'? You will never see the equivalent in a kung fu class., even the poorly run ones.
I ll accpet finding a quality kung fu school is far harder, they are less frequent than karate judo etc, and training in it is harder and takes far longer. but then most things worth doing take more effort dont they?
Hey guys! I'm new to the thread :smile:

Trained to 4th kyu wado ryu karate and then stopped. Didn't feel it was fulfilling anymore. For the last 3 years or so, I've felt as if I need to start learning recreationally again because I absolutely love chinese martial arts.

Karate in the style that I trained seemed too basically defensive and restricted. I recently began looking into different martial arts and started to develop some basic combos for self defense. I found that some other martial arts are much better suited to me - along the lines of ninjutsu, which has good grapples for self defense and makes use of certain joints to predispose the attacking opponent, causing imbalance with minimal effort.

Anyone else have similar views?

Quick Reply

Latest