The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SweatyGoldfish
I'm thinking of supporting either the Bengals, the Dolphins, or the Broncos. Can't decide which though :confused:

Denver!
Also, whats a GM mock? :colondollar:

Everybody takes one team and we do a mock.
Original post by The Patriot
Any Particular players who stand out to you as cool?

I used to play QB a lot, and out of the shortlist of teams I had, Tom Brady stood out as a cool.

Well there's Tebow obviously :smile: Despite his dodginess, you have to admit his comebacks are epic! :biggrin:

And I'm not to sure about the others, I like Cincinatti purely because they were in the first football game I ever watched :biggrin:
I'm thinking of supporting either the Bengals, the Dolphins, or the Broncos. Can't decide which though :confused:

Dolphins! We're not too far away for surprising people if we get a good QB. A lot of pieces are there, people wouldn't believe it given we finished 6-10 but it's true. There's something to prove in Miami, whereas people are already raving about Tebow and the Broncos to some extent anyway. But hey, I would say that, I'm a Fins fan.
Original post by OxfordGoBrach
Dolphins! We're not too far away for surprising people if we get a good QB. A lot of pieces are there, people wouldn't believe it given we finished 6-10 but it's true. There's something to prove in Miami, whereas people are already raving about Tebow and the Broncos to some extent anyway. But hey, I would say that, I'm a Fins fan.

Thanks :smile: I can't decide now- I keep getting different opinions :tongue:.

I think I'm going to watch next season with these 3 teams in mind, and just see which one I take a liking to :smile:
Well there's Tebow obviously :smile: Despite his dodginess, you have to admit his comebacks are epic! :biggrin:

And I'm not to sure about the others, I like Cincinatti purely because they were in the first football game I ever watched :biggrin:

Tebow is an incredibly exciting player to watch! If you want exciting games, go with him.

Similarly RGIII will be an explosive player, so perhaps you could support the team that drafts him? I.e Redskins or Browns? (Of course another team could take him, but they are the most likely).

Supporting Cincinnati because they were the first team you saw is as good a reason as any! Roll with it if you want!

Another consideration may be the type of team they are. I.e if you like to see a QB throw 300 yards a game and see an epic aerial battle, then a more run and defensive team like Cincy may not be the ideal choice. Dolphins may eyt turn into a passing team, especially if they get Peyton Manning. The broncos are a pretty much all round team, and so would be good to watch for a mix of styles.

Personally I love the passing game, having player QB, WR and CB, and my first NFL experience being the Patriots. So I was happy to follow them.
Tebow is an incredibly exciting player to watch! If you want exciting games, go with him.

Similarly RGIII will be an explosive player, so perhaps you could support the team that drafts him? I.e Redskins or Browns? (Of course another team could take him, but they are the most likely).

Supporting Cincinnati because they were the first team you saw is as good a reason as any! Roll with it if you want!

Another consideration may be the type of team they are. I.e if you like to see a QB throw 300 yards a game and see an epic aerial battle, then a more run and defensive team like Cincy may not be the ideal choice. Dolphins may eyt turn into a passing team, especially if they get Peyton Manning. The broncos are a pretty much all round team, and so would be good to watch for a mix of styles.

Personally I love the passing game, having player QB, WR and CB, and my first NFL experience being the Patriots. So I was happy to follow them.

Mike wallace not getting franchised! I hope the Patriots aggresively pursue him imagine finally having a deep threat reciever in the offense. Dream of that in the post season that they get Desean Jackson, Mike wallace or Lloyd then draft Dont'a Hightower and trade the other pick.
Original post by johnharris19944
Mike wallace not getting franchised! I hope the Patriots aggresively pursue him imagine finally having a deep threat reciever in the offense. Dream of that in the post season that they get Desean Jackson, Mike wallace or Lloyd then draft Dont'a Hightower and trade the other pick.

I'm of the Brandon Lloyd persuasion myself. Jackson and Wallace would command too much money, something not fitting in with the patriots way at all. Brandon Lloyd however has already had great success with McDaniels, and could thrive in New England at a cut price.

As for the draft, I would like us to take some DE/OLB prospects. Perhaps Hightower, or even a few others like Devon Still, Michael Brockers or Courtney Upshaw.

Other needs are a decent corner, i.e Janoris Jenkins if he falls far enough. Stephon Gilmore. Perhaps even Mark Barron at Safety.

A center would be cool too. I like the look of that Molk guy who's first name I forget. Center at Michigan.
I'm of the Brandon Lloyd persuasion myself. Jackson and Wallace would command too much money, something not fitting in with the patriots way at all. Brandon Lloyd however has already had great success with McDaniels, and could thrive in New England at a cut price.

As for the draft, I would like us to take some DE/OLB prospects. Perhaps Hightower, or even a few others like Devon Still, Michael Brockers or Courtney Upshaw.

Other needs are a decent corner, i.e Janoris Jenkins if he falls far enough. Stephon Gilmore. Perhaps even Mark Barron at Safety.

A center would be cool too. I like the look of that Molk guy who's first name I forget. Center at Michigan.

David Molk? he certainly seems confident enough in his abilities, i want Hightower because he could line up at 3-4 or 4-3 and i do agree with Mark Barron at safey but maybe Devin mccourtney could recover from his second season slump? I say dont give up on Mccourney yet.

Lloyd would be a great cheaper fit who knows Mcdaniels style so that would be a win win situation.

Yeah I definitely prefer the passing game, so that rules out Cincinnati I guess.

Whats the standard like in England? I'm thinking of finding a team, but I've never played American Football before :confused:
Reply 3810
Yeah I definitely prefer the passing game, so that rules out Cincinnati I guess.

Whats the standard like in England? I'm thinking of finding a team, but I've never played American Football before :confused:

Compared to any US team, the standard is pretty low in the UK, however: The games are just as intense when you're in them, only difference is you don't have many kids that have grown up their entire life playing the sport.

It's pretty good fun, and teams love recruiting so if you have a local team make sure to go and give it a go!
Reply 3811
Saints paid defenders to injure opponents. Scum.
Reply 3812
Original post by Mufasaa
Saints paid defenders to injure opponents. Scum.

Oh hey there falcons fan. Remember all those fines and penalties the Saints got for being a really dirty team, and all those injuries we gave players?

Oh wait. Me neither. If the league didn't penalise us at the time, we weren't injuring players. Doesn't make this rediculous bounty system any less disgusting or wrong, but don't pretend that suddenly we're the dirtiest franchise in the league when we aren't even in the league leaders for hits after the whistle, personal fouls, and fines.
Oooo good the whole saints bounty thing is going to kick off in here now haha. Im gonna grab a seat and stay out of this one had enough scandal with the spygate :l
Reply 3814
I just don't see how what they did can be defended. Actually paying people to injure others is terrible. The 'everyone else does it' argument is invalid as there's not much evidence that other teams actually paid players to injure. Just because they weren't penalised at the time doesn't make it any better - plenty of hits that can injure are legal (look at the Warner hit from 2010 playoffs, legal but really unnecessary).
Reply 3815
Original post by Mufasaa
I just don't see how what they did can be defended. Actually paying people to injure others is terrible. The 'everyone else does it' argument is invalid as there's not much evidence that other teams actually paid players to injure. Just because they weren't penalised at the time doesn't make it any better - plenty of hits that can injure are legal (look at the Warner hit from 2010 playoffs, legal but really unnecessary).

You can't justify the system. You can justify the fact that the Saints had 18 illegal hits in 3 seasons, and the most involved player was Roman Harper with 4. So he would have collected a grand total of $4500 dollars. 18 hits over 3 seasons is not the mark of a dirty team and you can't prove that players actually were intending to injure. I could be told about a bounty system and even receive awards from it, doesn't mean I don't completely forget and not care about it on the field. A fact you can't prove either-way. What I mean to say, is you can't pretend the Saints are suddenly a team thats dirty, whether you're our divisional rivals or not.

You've never played defense if you thought the Warner hit in 09 was unnecessary. Any defensive player will tell you, any legal shot at a QB of that calibre you get, you take it. Cause if they have to look at you twice when you blitz next time, you have them. And as you've also pointed out: Name a really vicious hit that was in the press since 09. There haven't been any, not until 2 weeks ago where the media's trying to find loads and suddenly realised there aren't any. And I hate to point out to you: It's very hard to injure someone *intentionally* with a legal hit, thats why they're legal. Yes it happens, but in that case our defense was picking up bounties based on pure fluke 90% of the time, because they went with a perfect form tackle and the guy got injured. On your next point of 'them not being penalised at the time' okay, so why were they not later fined? Refs miss calls on the field all the time, but the league doesn't miss reviewing plays and dishing out fines very often.

It's also important to say that while this whole thing has been called 'bounty gate' Outside of the 09 Playoffs, there were no specific players targeted and only a general pay for performance programme that for some stupid and disgusting reason carried cart off and knock out hit rewards.
Reply 3816
It's not about illegal hits though, and there are ways of intentionally injuring players legally - taking their knees out sideways for example.

I'm not sure it's relevant about whether or not hits were legal either, the fact is players got paid to injure and it doesn't matter how often these injuries occur, anyone who'll pay as reward for injuring others deserves the highest punishment.
Reports suggest Manning will be cut.

He should retire. What more has he got to gain, who will remember Franco Harris as a Seahawk and Brett Favre as anything other than a Packer?
Original post by Idris Dragon
Reports suggest Manning will be cut.

He should retire. What more has he got to gain, who will remember Franco Harris as a Seahawk and Brett Favre as anything other than a Packer?

Depends if he wins a Superbowl or comes close. If (big if) he comes back about as good as before - I wouldn't expect him to be quite as good even if healthy - then he could lead a team there perhaps. Jets or Dolphins/to a lesser extent the Cardinals both have a fair few good pieces in place and with a good offseason/draft plus Manning, could end up very strong. It's a QB league - moreso than ever before - and a top QB will drastically improve a team's record and chances nowadays. The question really is if he can be that top QB he was before, after the injury. It's a big gamble, but I'm sure Peyton's always motivated to play, that's one of things that made him so good.
Reply 3819
Manning still looks like a QB who can do a good job and he'll get paid. Although I think he'd be stupid to go anywhere but San Francisco (or Seattle at a stretch).

Latest