The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i'm no superman
Lol the gap is much wider! :tongue:

...yup. :frown:

I just don't get the flirting and eye-sex thing going on though.

ooeerr... well, maybe flirting to see if still has it, wants an affair, you misinterpreting?

How wide is the gap? What are both your ages? I'm a nosey biatch btw! :tongue:
Reply 9401
Lol the gap is much wider! :tongue:

...yup. :frown:

Some people just operate in 'flirty' - distinguish if their default mode, if responsive to people who do it to them (ego) or deployed specifically?

I don't think you can 'steal' someone who doesn't want to... but unless you think it's going to be the epic love affair then unnecessarily messy from the offset & likelihood of ending badly would be high?

I have been in this position before so know it sucks, but i am intrigued as to what exactly is eye-sex?
Original post by sweetchilli
ooeerr... well, maybe flirting to see if still has it, wants an affair, you misinterpreting?

How wide is the gap? What are both your ages? I'm a nosey biatch btw! :tongue:
I really don't think I've got it wrong. Some of my friends in the same wing of the lab have seen it going on and it's always the topic of banter during lunch! :tongue:

Try 15 (the gap). :colondollar: I'm 20...turning 21 in the end of August.

Original post by Elles
Some people just operate in 'flirty' - distinguish if their default mode, if responsive to people who do it to them (ego) or deployed specifically?

I don't think you can 'steal' someone who doesn't want to... but unless you think it's going to be the epic love affair then unnecessarily messy from the offset & likelihood of ending badly would be high?
You could be right, I'm trying to work it out! I've got three weeks left in the lab before I finish my data collection. The thing is, they're well established - a private investigator, own the lab, published in Nature and other high impact factor journals...etc. The whole professionalism thing is obviously an issue. Having said that, I know a few friends in third year (med) who have embarked on relationships/affairs with SHOs... one even went to dinner with a really old consultant anaesthetist! Not sure what she was thinking!

Original post by rumandraisin
I have been in this position before so know it sucks, but i am intrigued as to what exactly is eye-sex?
You'd know if you've had eye sex. It's pretty indescribale but ****ing hilarious!
I

Try 15 (the gap). :colondollar: I'm 20...turning 21 in the end of August.

Not so bad - thought was always on a guy's wish-list i.e. to be with an older woman.

Honestly, though I wouldn't even go there if she is taken. might just be messing with you and tbh, I agree with Elles - would be more than likely to end badly should it start and I would bet it would be you hurting not her...

A few weeks left in the lab, then you will leave and quickly move on to someone else. Enjoy the flirting while you can! :wink:
You'd know if you've had eye sex. It's pretty indescribale but ****ing hilarious!

Dammit appears like i have never had eye-sex then :frown:
Original post by Elwyn
Anyone else seen this article? (apologies if already posted).
Read it after coming back from a child health placement, and am still struggling to comprehend how this can even be allowed to be debated.
Unless I've missed the point of the article, it's debating whether infantcide of newborns (including healthy ones) is acceptable.

http://jme.bmj.com/content/early/2012/02/22/medethics-2011-100411.full

Should we censor anything that makes us feel uncomfortable then? Plus, it's hardly a new argument.
Reply 9407
Original post by Elwyn
Read it after coming back from a child health placement, and am still struggling to comprehend how this can even be allowed to be debated.
Unless I've missed the point of the article, it's debating whether infantcide of newborns (including healthy ones) is acceptable.

Why shouldn't it be allowed to be debated? It's distasteful, but then to some people, so is the act of abortion. Their conclusion is well argued and pretty sensible considering that abortion is allowed...
Original post by Elwyn

If you accept their premises and their argument, then the conclusion does follow logically, it is essentially a deductive argument. Whether you think that should be incorporated as a morally permissible act at a societal level - because individual opt outs in this sort of scenario is impossible to police unless there are universal benchmarks is another question. The fact that you find the conclusions of the argument distastful does not negate the argument itself.

Although their argument could be tighter - they allow for a few days time for diagnostic purposes, with the advance of genetics, what of childhood onset diseases such as Beckers Musculodystrophy? Who defines which lives are worth living? The fact that adult lives may be blighted with disease does not mean that a disease free childhood should be terminated.
To those who understand..........its metroline time!!!
Original post by fairy spangles

So. Freaking. Excited! :biggrin:
Original post by xconfetti

Same here. Not only lots of drinkingness but fish and chips on the beach. I so hope this year im wearing a complete pair of scrubs by the end!
Exam on Friday. Done literally no work and didn't attend basically any brain and behaviour.

I guess I'd better start tomorrow. Maybe.

*squee* I have some scrubs that I *cough* borrowed. However, am at GP all day so goodness knows how people will be when I turn up. Mini Medic Meetup then?
Whenever I troll on this website I lose hope in humanity. Why can nobody reason or follow debates? People cannot justify even the simplest of arguments and principles such as their own formed opinions when challenged, it's absurd.

It follows on from the topic about neonatal abortion. People believe it's wrong but are threatened whenever somebody poses a different viewpoint, even if it's well explained and thought out.

EDIT: Speaking of trollin' do you think there's a chance of getting GMC'd for this sort of ****? As far as I know there's no way of identying me on here as I never release my full name only my year/medical school.
(edited 12 years ago)
Same here. Not only lots of drinkingness but fish and chips on the beach. I so hope this year im wearing a complete pair of scrubs by the end!

I hope so too! And very very excited for fish and chips! :biggrin: eeeeeee!

Original post by Lantana
*squee* I have some scrubs that I *cough* borrowed. However, am at GP all day so goodness knows how people will be when I turn up. Mini Medic Meetup then?

That sucks :frown: About 1/3 of first years have a hospital visit that afternoon so aren't coming until 7 ish either. Think I'm joining at 3. A meet up sounds great! :smile: Beska is in my seminar group and I know Fusilero and ryu_Hadouken (the main other 1st years who post on TSR I guess) but it'd be good to meet some more TSR medics from Newcastle :biggrin:
Reply 9416
Original post by RollerBall

EDIT: Speaking of trollin' do you think there's a chance of getting GMC'd for this sort of ****? As far as I know there's no way of identying me on here as I never release my full name only my year/medical school.

Your ISP could identify you, but they'd have to have a pretty good reason to do so as the laws stand. I don't think the GMC would have any reason to go snooping unless you did something really bad.

Having said that, the way the internet is going (especially if google have their way) is to make it all personally accountable, so in a few years it might be different.

That sucks :frown: About 1/3 of first years have a hospital visit that afternoon so aren't coming until 7 ish either. Think I'm joining at 3. A meet up sounds great! :smile: Beska is in my seminar group and I know Fusilero and ryu_Hadouken (the main other 1st years who post on TSR I guess) but it'd be good to meet some more TSR medics from Newcastle :biggrin:

Booo - im on the ward until 5.30/6ish.
Then ive got to get back get ready and i recon im heading straight to tynemouth. Im going to be one of the oldest and i cant believe im going out on a school night :eek:

Wonder what the words of warning will be this year?

You lot seem to be having loads of hospital/gp visits this year - i just keep seeing you all everywhere i go!
(edited 12 years ago)
Then ive got to get back get ready and i recon im heading straight to tynemouth. Im going to be one of the oldest and i cant believe im going out on a school night :eek:

Wonder what the words of warning will be this year?

You lot seem to be having loads of hospital/gp visits this year - i just keep seeing you all everywhere i go!

Are many 5th years going? We were wondering about that! Yeah, I think a lot of those 1st years will also be heading straight to Tynemouth!

We've already had a few words of warning, they do make sense though.

Haha! So far the 1st years have had 3 GP visits and 3 hospital visits (barring the group who has their last one on Wednesday). Only ran into two 5th years so far - we got mistaken for them and got asked to clerk a patient, then the F1 saw our faces and swiftly realised that we weren't the right medical students to ask!

Not so much the fish, but def the chips :smile:
Hopefully we'll be able to leave a bit early and get back about 5-6ish.

Oh good, I won't be the only one then. You as old as me?

Latest

Trending

Trending