The Student Room Group

Boobs, Lingerie & Bra Questions Thread (Continued)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1600
Original post by ArcaneAnna
Why should we wear the back on the LOOSEST?
I've always preferred to buy the size so that it fits me on the tightest.

Also, what do you think of this;

different types of bras, different cup cuts mean that I the size I buy sometimes varies - ie 32E to 34E - I always try the bras on and buy the best fit.
Would you say thats okay?

You should wear a bra on the loosest setting because over time it will stretch and lose elasticity. So as soon as it starts to get too big on the loosest hook you can then start wearing it on the second loosest then the tightest. So if you buy a bra which fits on the loosest hook, then it should last you longer.
I really want to get properly measured but I'm told the only place which measures you 100% accurately is Bravissimo, and I don't have any which are local to me! :frown:

I'm thinking of just ordering bras and hoping for the best, but I am already on a tight budget, and what if they end up not fitting me? :s-smilie:

I got fitted at M&S and they were useless. Got measured as a 32D and not only is the back band too loose so my shoulders are extremely achey by the end of the day, but I also have massive ridges in the cups; you could tuck a puppy or something into them!

I'm guessing maybe I am a 30D but my local M&S don't stock them. Their smallest is 32. I searched La Senza, Matalan, Primark (god help me) and even Asda but no luck at all. Advice, someone? :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1602
Original post by Jabberwox
I really want to get properly measured but I'm told the only place which measures you 100% accurately is Bravissimo, and I don't have any which are local to me! :frown:

I'm thinking of just ordering bras and hoping for the best, but I am already on a tight budget, and what if they end up not fitting me? :s-smilie:

I got fitted at M&S and they were useless. Got measured as a 32D and not only is the back band too loose so my shoulders are extremely achey by the end of the day, but I also have massive ridges in the cups; you could tuck a puppy or something into them!

I'm guessing maybe I am a 30D but my local M&S don't stock them. Their smallest is 32. I searched La Senza, Matalan, Primark (god help me) and even Asda but no luck at all. Advice, someone? :frown:

Debenhams? That's where I get most of my bras from. Grab a handful of various sizes around the 28-30-32 C/D/DD/E range and just try them all on! See what fits best. Should be comfortable but firm/tight on the loosest hook setting, and provide support/stay up easily without the help of the straps.
Original post by Persephone9
Debenhams or TK Maxx (CK bras for £8!)

I've had some nice sets from Ann Summers but their 32 back sizes are just too big for me now and they only seem to do the instant boob job bras in a 30 back. My boobs aren't huge but on the whole I prefer bras without quite so much padding.

Unless you want a back size smaller than 32 or a cup size bigger than D-DD!

Yup, most shops are useless for small back sizes. I'm a 26DD/E. Can you imagine my frustration? :mad:

I may be wrong but I think Bravissimo have a customer service line where you can get advice with fitting issues. They're the only ones I think any of us can trust at the moment!

Hey :smile:

I got fitted at John Lewis, and if there's one by you, I seriously recommend going. They fit really well, I got told I was a 34B in M&S, turns out I'm actually a 30D! I also did work experience in the lingerie department of John Lewis Edinburgh, and all the staff were really lovely, and they really know their stuff! So if you can, go to a John Lewis store :smile:
Original post by Kate.
Debenhams? That's where I get most of my bras from. Grab a handful of various sizes around the 28-30-32 C/D/DD/E range and just try them all on! See what fits best. Should be comfortable but firm/tight on the loosest hook setting, and provide support/stay up easily without the help of the straps.

Yeah I'll take a trip to Debenhams; it's quite a long way from me and a bit pricey but it's near in comparison to a Bravissimo...

Original post by rainbow.panda
I may be wrong but I think Bravissimo have a customer service line where you can get advice with fitting issues. They're the only ones I think any of us can trust at the moment!

Yeah I was wondering that too. Do you simply tell them your measurements over the phone? :s-smilie:

Original post by RosalindWildman
Hey :smile:

I got fitted at John Lewis, and if there's one by you, I seriously recommend going. They fit really well, I got told I was a 34B in M&S, turns out I'm actually a 30D! I also did work experience in the lingerie department of John Lewis Edinburgh, and all the staff were really lovely, and they really know their stuff! So if you can, go to a John Lewis store :smile:

There isn't a John Lewis near me unfortunately :frown: but thank you anyway. I know, M&S aren't very good with their fitting...
Reply 1607
Yeah I'll take a trip to Debenhams; it's quite a long way from me and a bit pricey but it's near in comparison to a Bravissimo...

They're not that expensive - the bras in their own range ('Gorgeous') are usually £14-£18 and often come with a free pair of matching pants too. And if you find a size that fits perfectly you can get some really good bargains in their online sales! I got one for £7 and one for £9 just after Christmas. There were cheaper ones but I didn't like them.
Reply 1608
Hi all,
I've read bits of this thread, and I'm starting to wonder about my bra size... I'm a size 8 in clothes generally, and I have a 28 underbust measurement. I've always worn 32 size bras (currently a 32B) but should I try a 28-something? My bra normally leaves red marks underneath my bust and is sometimes uncomfortable.
The problem is, I've looked in all the shops where I live and cannot find anything below a 32, which seems to be a common problem with everyone on here. Is it worth buying a 28 bra online and trying that out? Has anyone bought bras online without trying the size on before? I know it sounds like a stupid idea, but it would be good to have a better-fitting bra!
Original post by codle
Hi all,
I've read bits of this thread, and I'm starting to wonder about my bra size... I'm a size 8 in clothes generally, and I have a 28 underbust measurement. I've always worn 32 size bras (currently a 32B) but should I try a 28-something? My bra normally leaves red marks underneath my bust and is sometimes uncomfortable.
The problem is, I've looked in all the shops where I live and cannot find anything below a 32, which seems to be a common problem with everyone on here. Is it worth buying a 28 bra online and trying that out? Has anyone bought bras online without trying the size on before? I know it sounds like a stupid idea, but it would be good to have a better-fitting bra!

I buy my bras online all the time, not the best I know, but I have no option really. I think you should definitely try a 28 band, what's your bust measurement? And it's normal for bras to leave red marks on you, if it doesn't it's too big.
Original post by Ronda
You should wear a bra on the loosest setting because over time it will stretch and lose elasticity. So as soon as it starts to get too big on the loosest hook you can then start wearing it on the second loosest then the tightest. So if you buy a bra which fits on the loosest hook, then it should last you longer.

So there isn't actually a proper reason for buying a bra that fits on the loosest?

To be completely fair, if my bra streches with time I'd rather just buy a new one and not keep wearing a manky, ill-fitting old one!
Reply 1611
Original post by codle
Hi all,

Are the marks from tightness? If so really don't get a smaller size. If I was you I would go to a store such as Debenhams to get measured properly and see what they recommend. Even though they state a size, you can tell them what feels good and doesn't and they'll help to recommend something appropriate :smile:

As for the problem with lower band sizes, Boux Avenue starts from a 30 which is pretty good compared to other high street stores. The products are similar to those in La senza and I have found their customer service to be really good. I've bought from one of their stores and also online and can't fault them. The items I ordered online arrived within a few days :biggrin: They do student discount (in store only though I think) and also have a rewards card that operates similarly to the Boots card. They only downside I guess is that the bras are pretty expensive but in the sale the prices on many of them went down to single figures :biggrin:

As for buying online without trying on first... Have a look at the styles of bras that tend to fit better and maybe search for them. I've heard that Figleaves is meant to be good with returns but I haven't personally ordered from them.
Reply 1612
So there isn't actually a proper reason for buying a bra that fits on the loosest?

To be completely fair, if my bra streches with time I'd rather just buy a new one and not keep wearing a manky, ill-fitting old one!

But they start stretching from the very first time you wear it. I buy bras that I need to wear on the tightest hook right away cause I don't have any other choice, and I find that about after a week or two they're too loose! I don't think they'd be all manky and old by then :p:

But fair enough, I'd personally rather have the bra for as long as possible before I need to buy a new one, I'd rather save the money haha.
Original post by Ronda
But they start stretching from the very first time you wear it. I buy bras that I need to wear on the tightest hook right away cause I don't have any other choice, and I find that about after a week or two they're too loose! I don't think they'd be all manky and old by then :p:

But fair enough, I'd personally rather have the bra for as long as possible before I need to buy a new one, I'd rather save the money haha.

After a week or two?!? Where do you buy your bras, because don't think they're very good quality!?

I'm a size 32e, have fairly heavy boobs and my bras last, on average, anywhere between 6months - a year!!
Reply 1614
After a week or two?!? Where do you buy your bras, because don't think they're very good quality!?

I'm a size 32e, have fairly heavy boobs and my bras last, on average, anywhere between 6months - a year!!

I meant a month or two, sorry! I mean, I'm usually still okay to wear them as my chest isn't that big, but it doesn't have the support that it gave me when it was brand new. I would be nicer if I had a tighter hook to go on to after that.
This might be a odd thing to ask but has anyone had any experience with hypnosis for breast enlargement? I know it sounds far-fetched but apparently it has worked for some people. The pill never did anything for me and I've tried a breast serum too but that didn't work either. I don't want implants but I'm so desperate for bigger boobs :frown: just maybe one cup size bigger?
Reply 1616
Original post by Baula
Are the marks from tightness? If so really don't get a smaller size. If I was you I would go to a store such as Debenhams to get measured properly and see what they recommend. Even though they state a size, you can tell them what feels good and doesn't and they'll help to recommend something appropriate :smile:

As for the problem with lower band sizes, Boux Avenue starts from a 30 which is pretty good compared to other high street stores. The products are similar to those in La senza and I have found their customer service to be really good. I've bought from one of their stores and also online and can't fault them. The items I ordered online arrived within a few days :biggrin: They do student discount (in store only though I think) and also have a rewards card that operates similarly to the Boots card. They only downside I guess is that the bras are pretty expensive but in the sale the prices on many of them went down to single figures :biggrin:

As for buying online without trying on first... Have a look at the styles of bras that tend to fit better and maybe search for them. I've heard that Figleaves is meant to be good with returns but I haven't personally ordered from them.

I buy my bras online all the time, not the best I know, but I have no option really. I think you should definitely try a 28 band, what's your bust measurement? And it's normal for bras to leave red marks on you, if it doesn't it's too big.

Thank you both :smile: I've done a bit more internet researching :P and decided that before I try a more expensive 28 band, I'm going to buy a 30. I want to see if that makes any difference at all :smile: so I've ordered a cheaper 30C and if it does make a difference, I'll look into buying a 28D - but these are generally more expensive so I want to be sure!
Thanks again, you've both given me something to think about x
Reply 1617
Guys! The Big Bra Bar have released 26 backs in in lingerie set here: http://www.thebigbrabar.com/index.php/shopbysize/28dd/2wenty8-loren-midnight-coming-soon.html

They only have a few cupsizes available, DD, FF, G and H, but hopefully this will at least help some of you out :smile:

OMG just what I've been looking for!! a 26G!! But I can't afford to fork out that much for one bra :frown:
Reply 1618
Original post by fxyz
OMG just what I've been looking for!! a 26G!! But I can't afford to fork out that much for one bra :frown:

How loose are 28s on you? Have you tried any Elle Macpherson bras? I've had one from that range and it comes up so small! I usually wear a 30 band in other brands but the 32 EM band still feels tight. Perhaps a 28 in that might be suitable for you. Mind you, they're usually more expensive than £32 (but you can get them in the Figleaves outlet really cheap sometimes, mine was only like £10). Might be worth having a look at some reviews for other brands on Figleaves as well in case any other ones come up small :smile:
Original post by fxyz

I know it's really expensive for me too, but I figured I met as well try it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending