The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what measures sixth forms/colleges take when they find out that a pupil has an ED and self harms?

I'm considering going to see my sixth form's counsellor (if we have one =S) but I'm scared of what they might do once they find out. I don't want them to tell my family (I'm 17 if that changes anything) because my family really don't give a **** but I don't want the school to know this.

Neither ED or my self harming are very severe but I think that if I haven't developed it already, then I might be developing depression as a result.
Reply 2921
Original post by Vixen47
Does anyone know what measures sixth forms/colleges take when they find out that a pupil has an ED and self harms?

I'm considering going to see my sixth form's counsellor (if we have one =S) but I'm scared of what they might do once they find out. I don't want them to tell my family (I'm 17 if that changes anything) because my family really don't give a **** but I don't want the school to know this.

Neither ED or my self harming are very severe but I think that if I haven't developed it already, then I might be developing depression as a result.

When I was referred for anxiety and depression which then escalated into disordered eating, I was told everything would be treated in confidence unless there was a serious risk to the life of myself or someone else. I'd think that SH would come under that, as would eating disorder behaviours or thoughts of ending your life. If that was the case, then they'd have to refer you to a GP.

For me being 18 didn't matter, the fact I was still in full-time education meant they acted in loco parentis and would have to disclose any high-risk problems, but that could've just been my school's procedure, somebody else would have to inform you whether that's true universally sorry >_< I'm fairly sure a counsellor would have to follow the same kind of confidentiality agreement though
The situation was the same with our NHS nurse drop-in services and they'd keep confidence between myself and the nurse without disclosing anything unless I consented or there was a life-threatening risk.

So yeah sorry, I'm not sure if this was too helpful and a lot of waffle. I'm pretty sure counsellors would have the same kind of confidentiality agreement. But one thing I can definitely say is I have no regrets about being honest about how I was feeling to professionals and my loved ones that I trusted, and I don't want to think about what could have happened otherwise. As it happened, my health anxiety actually saved me from a full-blown eating disorder, as it meant while I was terrified of weight gain I was still terrified of the multitude of risks created by me losing any more, especially thinking I had some fatal heart condition. I just came straight out to my tutor who I really trusted and from there she referred me to the drop-in nurse on the disordered eating and health anxiety, and the learning mentor referred me to a GP. The GP then referred me onto CAMHS and our eating disorder services in turn.

Vixen, please try not to be cruel to yourself! Any form of SH is severe, be it cutting, overeating, b/ping, restricting, over-exercising, I'd even count extreme negative and self-critical thoughts which would include those of the depressed and certainly the suicidal. ANYTHING which involves deliberately hurting yourself physically or mentally isn't something to put up with, and things can change for the better.
I really hope there's a counsellor for you to talk through this with, and I'm sure your family care and are worried although it might not always seem it (ED goggles can cause a lot of suspicion). Even if they aren't supportive which sadly sometimes happens, you're right to reach out to help yourself.

:hugs:
Hi guys I'm new to this thread though I've been following it for some time.

I'm 18 and I relapsed into anorexia about a year and a half ago. I first got ill when I was 13, and my lowest weight was 70lb (5 stones) at 5'2. Now my weight has dropped from 118lb (8.4 stones) to 96lb (a little under 7 stones) at 5'3. It's not so bad this time and I don't really starve myself although I'm very careful with food (I usually have about 1200-1500 calories per day and never go under 1000 calories). I even tried to regain some weight and got up from 102 lb to 105lb like a year ago or so, but maintained it only for a few months and have lost more weight since then.

I'm not rapidly losing weight as I have no intention to do so. My weight is fairly stable, but I lose 1-2lb sporadically about every 2 months (eg. I have low appetite for a few days and lose a bit of weight without regaining afterwards). My ED also seems to be getting progressively worse slowly.

Here's the problem: I haven't had a natural period in 14 months (had one last May after taking progestin-only pills). However, I faked a period last month to make my parents think I'm okay. I also make myself appear to weigh 102lb (the agreed minimum target weight) on the scale when I'm actually just 96lb. I know it's really bad but haven't been able to bring myself to gain weight. Lying has been my solution.

I really want to get better. I'm afraid I'll get osteoporosis. I want a good social life; I want to have children in the future; I want to be happy. However, I can't stand the idea of gaining weight. Whenever I'm faced with food my greatest concern is to keep to my strict diet or sometimes eat even less.

I would really like to have someone (or some people) to talk to. I can't let them know I've been lying--I wouldn't be able to face their wrath and disappointment.

Please share your experience or give some advice/motivate me?
Original post by chasingdream
Hi guys I'm new to this thread though I've been following it for some time.

I'm 18 and I relapsed into anorexia about a year and a half ago. I first got ill when I was 13, and my lowest weight was 70lb (5 stones) at 5'2. Now my weight has dropped from 118lb (8.4 stones) to 96lb (a little under 7 stones) at 5'3. It's not so bad this time and I don't really starve myself although I'm very careful with food (I usually have about 1200-1500 calories per day and never go under 1000 calories). I even tried to regain some weight and got up from 102 lb to 105lb like a year ago or so, but maintained it only for a few months and have lost more weight since then.

I'm not rapidly losing weight as I have no intention to do so. My weight is fairly stable, but I lose 1-2lb sporadically about every 2 months (eg. I have low appetite for a few days and lose a bit of weight without regaining afterwards). My ED also seems to be getting progressively worse slowly.

Here's the problem: I haven't had a natural period in 14 months (had one last May after taking progestin-only pills). However, I faked a period last month to make my parents think I'm okay. I also make myself appear to weigh 102lb (the agreed minimum target weight) on the scale when I'm actually just 96lb. I know it's really bad but haven't been able to bring myself to gain weight. Lying has been my solution.

I really want to get better. I'm afraid I'll get osteoporosis. I want a good social life; I want to have children in the future; I want to be happy. However, I can't stand the idea of gaining weight. Whenever I'm faced with food my greatest concern is to keep to my strict diet or sometimes eat even less.

I would really like to have someone (or some people) to talk to. I can't let them know I've been lying--I wouldn't be able to face their wrath and disappointment.

Please share your experience or give some advice/motivate me?

The science (Spoilered as it may sound a little distant or harsh. It's the basic guide to recovery)

Spoiler

And now a bit more of a human approach.

chasingdream, be honest. Be honest with yourself, and honest with others. You, yourself, see that there is an issue. Don't feel worried about asking for help. Stay on top of yourself. You sound like you have a massive apathy towards things at the moment, don't. Find what makes you happy, find what will make you fight.

Find what you love.
Find what you hate.
Find yourself a little. Your quirks. Your quandaries. Your... queeniness(?)

An eating disorder isn't like any other disease where you just lie there and kinda get better. You have to actively FIGHT.

And you will be surprised by people. You would expect wrath and disappointment but the most you will see is worry and support. People really don't understand it ("Just drink lots-o cup-a-soups and you'll be fine!" is what I remember.) Just remember there is a support network ready, be it NHS or TSR.

Spoiler

Original post by Antiaris
The science (Spoilered as it may sound a little distant or harsh. It's the basic guide to recovery)

Spoiler

And now a bit more of a human approach.

chasingdream, be honest. Be honest with yourself, and honest with others. You, yourself, see that there is an issue. Don't feel worried about asking for help. Stay on top of yourself. You sound like you have a massive apathy towards things at the moment, don't. Find what makes you happy, find what will make you fight.

Find what you love.
Find what you hate.
Find yourself a little. Your quirks. Your quandaries. Your... queeniness(?)

An eating disorder isn't like any other disease where you just lie there and kinda get better. You have to actively FIGHT.

And you will be surprised by people. You would expect wrath and disappointment but the most you will see is worry and support. People really don't understand it ("Just drink lots-o cup-a-soups and you'll be fine!" is what I remember.) Just remember there is a support network ready, be it NHS or TSR.

Thanks, Antiaris. I know I have to fight my anorexia--it seems like a close, faithful (the irony!) ally when all it offers is to destroy my life. I need to help myself, and perhaps get counselling in uni. But I really can't let my parents know I've been deceiving them. It's a complicated issue and my situation is not like anyone else's with an eating disorder.

Regarding the scientific part: Are there ways other than gaining weight that can help restore periods? I probably have to regain some weight, but I can't deal with loads of it. It would be very helpful if I could get my periods back by gaining a relatively small amount of weight and by other complementary means, as a starting point of my recovery. My mental state is not very good and the thought of having to gain even 1 pound is daunting. I need to begin with a smaller step and recover gradually.
Reply 2926
Lent's getting tricky, bit of a more pessimistic post than last time and I'm falling back into the cycle. Now I'm having a guilty moment. Does anyone ever get guilty for having not recovered, or not recovering "quick" enough?
Recently if I have smaller portions I start getting guilty about not being the same me with the same appetite:

Spoiler

It's like who I am now, certainly the way my body has changed, is someone I feel I don't really like and no-one else likes either. And I do feel like that a little, because I don't really hear much from anyone except my closest friends. But I can understand why they would be distancing themselves right now as I have a habit of turning everyone into my therapist. Or it could just be I'm still taking things the wrong way, I'm going out with some of them tonight :s-smilie:
[Back-Definitely anxiety. I haven't had such a good time without trying in such good and understanding company in too long!]
I get ridiculously guilty for having not "recovered" considering I don't even have a real eating disorder! I haven't been through anything-and I'm glad of that, but what right do I have to complain then. This counsellor doesn't realise how hard it is for me to stop thinking of my thoughts as being ED or OCD-related.
Reading back through this I feel like I'm having difficulty trying to re-connect with the real problems and solutions because it's easier to try and solve the impossible food and weight puzzle I've devised to preoccupy myself instead. But it's just that, impossible.
Anyway, I want to learn to love myself again. That's going to be tough if I can't even accept that I am who I am right now
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2927
Original post by sentiment

Spoiler

:console:
No need to apologise. We feel how we feel. I had a bit of a shock when out the other night too over something possibly similar.
Booze is a great ice-breaker but you've got to remember it does sometimes backfire when we're not in the right frame of mind, and it can be really dangerous for us to drink on empty.
Hope you're feeling better soon, there's always a way out. It's a game often involving two steps forward, one step back but that's an extra step forward every day :smile: x
Original post by Vixen47

One of my teachers realised that i had ED habits but not a fully blown/ diagnosed ED whilst i was on a 4 week school trip and did absolutely nothing about it. At the time i was 17 and i'm now 18, and i haven't spoken to her since getting back from the trip which took place last August.

I don't think they'll do anything unless your ED or SH are very severe, which you say they aren't but that doesn't meant that someone else doesn't think that it's a big problem. I talked to another of my teacher's in school about it and they just spoke it through and referred me to the pastoral care guy and a school counsellor who comes in from outside of school. I think you should find out if you have one, although i've always been too scared to go i really think i should've and it will help. Have your grades been poorer recently?? If so then they might try and get you to tell your parents or let a gp knot, but other than that i can't see why they wouldn't help you and at the same time not tell your parents.

Good luck!!
Reply 2929
:hugs: to everyone that is struggling at the moment. I can't give much specific advice i'm afraid because i'm trying hard not to dwell on ED stuff at the moment.

My situation is great at the moment. Over the past week(ish) i've been eating when i'm hungry, stopping when i'm satisfied and getting a rough balance of fruit and veg, carbs, protein, sugar and fat in my mind for each day without obsessing over calories or weight loss. I don't know how i've managed to gain this control (it was either starve or binge for sooooo long), but I am just praying that it stays. This feeling of freedom is just :woo: ... I can think about food without panic or urgency. A massive thing has been taking my time to think about and prepare what i'm going to eat, and not treating it like some awful decision that i'm going to get wrong. I don't know how this changed.

calorie stuff

Spoiler

I'm sorry if this seems like i'm bragging about feeling well :frown:

+ ..... I know it seems obvious now, but I used to refuse to believe that eating well makes you feel... good and healthy and full of energy. I'm also less of a cow to be around now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Cinnie

My situation is great at the moment. Over the past week(ish) i've been eating when i'm hungry, stopping when i'm satisfied and getting a rough balance of fruit and veg, carbs, protein, sugar and fat in my mind for each day without obsessing over calories or weight loss. I don't know how i've managed to gain this control (it was either starve or binge for sooooo long), but I am just praying that it stays. This feeling of freedom is just :woo: ... I can think about food without panic or urgency. A massive thing has been taking my time to think about and prepare what i'm going to eat, and not treating it like some awful decision that i'm going to get wrong. I don't know how this changed.

So glad to hear that things are getting better :smile: I totally know what you mean; when I was getting better and didn't worry, it was crazy but so liberating! It's lovely, isn't it? It doesn't really matter how it's happened. The most important thing is that it has, and long may it continue! When you stop worrying about food and it doesn't take up so much time, you realise how much other stuff you've been neglecting. You realise that there's so much more to life too! Well done x
Reply 2931
I want to first and foremost apologise for being so unhelpful in the thread as of late, but just recently I've been exceptionally down regarding things.

For example, I've not been having LOADS, but I've been having a few beers every night - maybe 2-4 bottles. Just as was mentioned previously, I only seem to feel a sense of liberation when I'm drunken. But I factor in those calories. But especially this past month I've been restricting again; I haven't taken beyond 1500 kcals per day. Even if I take say, 1000 kcals of food in, and up to 500 kcals of beer, I never break that total.

The strangest thing has happened though. Even though technically this should take me into a calorific deficit I haven't changed weight at all, but I have been getting plumper. My T-shirts feel so tight on me. And just today, I met an aunt I haven't seen in ages and she kept saying over and over, "I can't believe the change in you, your face is so much rounder! Oh, you've filled out so much! I just can't believe how much weight you've gained! it's only been a month since I last saw you!" - even though my actual weight NUMERICALLY hasn't changed, has the alcohol, even on a deficit, fattened me?! Logic seems to be defied left right and centre, but the human body is not a logical creature.

Much love to everyone. XX
What do you guys do when all you can think about is food?

Spoiler

@Totomimo Could just be increased water retention? Beer is oestrogenic too I think which could have an effect.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TotoMimo
I want to first and foremost apologise for being so unhelpful in the thread as of late, but just recently I've been exceptionally down regarding things.

For example, I've not been having LOADS, but I've been having a few beers every night - maybe 2-4 bottles. Just as was mentioned previously, I only seem to feel a sense of liberation when I'm drunken. But I factor in those calories. But especially this past month I've been restricting again; I haven't taken beyond 1500 kcals per day. Even if I take say, 1000 kcals of food in, and up to 500 kcals of beer, I never break that total.

The strangest thing has happened though. Even though technically this should take me into a calorific deficit I haven't changed weight at all, but I have been getting plumper. My T-shirts feel so tight on me. And just today, I met an aunt I haven't seen in ages and she kept saying over and over, "I can't believe the change in you, your face is so much rounder! Oh, you've filled out so much! I just can't believe how much weight you've gained! it's only been a month since I last saw you!" - even though my actual weight NUMERICALLY hasn't changed, has the alcohol, even on a deficit, fattened me?! Logic seems to be defied left right and centre, but the human body is not a logical creature.

Spoiler

HUGGINGGG. I've no idea about the alcohol malarky, but maybe it makes you hold onto more water or something bizarre.
Reply 2935
Original post by Vixen47

Hi there,
I am also 17 and I have EDNOS (only because I'm still too fat to be called anorexic :nothing:) and self harm. I realised I had a problem so I went to see my school counsellor in complete confidentiality - my teachers don't know, and neither do my friends or parents, but I can still get help for it. You probably have a similar system at your school too and I really do recommend help even if it's not severe now, because it can get quickly out of control. Like I used to not severely self-harm and then last week it was too painful to wear jeans because I'd torn up my legs, hips and stomach so much ¬¬ Moral of the story, you can get help from school counsellors without the other parts of the school knowing and you definitely should do it asap. :smile:
Original post by Etoile
Hi there,
I am also 17 and I have EDNOS (only because I'm still too fat to be called anorexic :nothing:) and self harm. I realised I had a problem so I went to see my school counsellor in complete confidentiality - my teachers don't know, and neither do my friends or parents, but I can still get help for it. You probably have a similar system at your school too and I really do recommend help even if it's not severe now, because it can get quickly out of control. Like I used to not severely self-harm and then last week it was too painful to wear jeans because I'd torn up my legs, hips and stomach so much ¬¬ Moral of the story, you can get help from school counsellors without the other parts of the school knowing and you definitely should do it asap. :smile:

E, that upsets me. You're too bloody clever to shred you arms and legs to ribbons and starve yourself. I swear the only reson I've realised i have the human dictionary party trick and that the AS and some of the A2 grammar has suddenly clicked is because its been just over 2 years since I stopped trying to survive off 600 calories a day. Yes I sometimes SI - made an absolute mess of my arm last week. I shouldnt pull at my skin when I'm fustrated, I still bruise like hell. Sice as I've quoted you, which verb needs to change to show you're reporting what someones said in german? I'm currently gawping at a sentense with 3 verbs in...
Reply 2937
Original post by .snowflake.
E, that upsets me. You're too bloody clever to shred you arms and legs to ribbons and starve yourself. I swear the only reson I've realised i have the human dictionary party trick and that the AS and some of the A2 grammar has suddenly clicked is because its been just over 2 years since I stopped trying to survive off 600 calories a day. Yes I sometimes SI - made an absolute mess of my arm last week. I shouldnt pull at my skin when I'm fustrated, I still bruise like hell. Sice as I've quoted you, which verb needs to change to show you're reporting what someones said in german? I'm currently gawping at a sentense with 3 verbs in...

So are you! That's a great achievement, well done :smile: Wow, if it's been two years you must have started so young :frown:
As for the verb, can you give me the sentence? You'd need to know the context to be sure.
Original post by Etoile
So are you! That's a great achievement, well done :smile: Wow, if it's been two years you must have started so young :frown:
As for the verb, can you give me the sentence? You'd need to know the context to be sure.

yup. I did. skipping lunch by year 8 because I felt like **** about myself, really funny with food by easter of year nine. Nearly passed out during my lunch break at one point. Yet would only ever have been diagnosed with EDNOS.

Es bedeutet eigentlich du ein klassischer Musiker werden muss. Du kannst das nicht verwichsen. 'It basically means you must become a classical musician. you can't waste it' [talking about the fact she has perfect pitch]

Okay, going to have to REALLY punch it in here, I mean it in the nicest way, but get your nutrients in other places apart from alcohol. Please. Alcohol will only act on your already weak liver. The liver is probably one of the most amazing organs in the body, being able to grow from a splinter and recovering in a matter of only 3 weeks, but it can only take so much.

If I remember correctly your breakfasts tend to be something like a punnet of raspberries and a pot of 0% Greek Yoghurt? (Can't remember names of people, but I have phenomenal memory of traits). That would be 100 KCal and ~50 Kcal? (Judging from a 180g pot of Fage) How are you making up the remaining nutrients? That puts you at 9.8g of protein when you need 45g minimum. Do you have enough fat in your diet?

I'm sorry if I seem over the top, but you need to recover. When recovering you can't go on and off the calorie plan, otherwise your metabolism gets permanently fudged afterwards.

Alcohol doesn't metabolise the same as other calories, it gets absorbed quickly and excess alcohol calories are stored around the liver specifically (like fructose). This could damage an already fragile organ. Things can still crop up. Jaundice? Cirrhosis?

I don't mean to be a total ass-hole, but listen to yourself. You're telling us that you are getting 1/3rd of your daily calories from alcoholic beverages. Not good man. Not good.

Original post by cowsforsale
What do you guys do when all you can think about is food?

Spoiler

Write a list. It helps. I had this issue, I still do even. A list is probably the safest option at the moment. Plan what brand, plan how much.

You can do it.

Quick Reply

Latest