The Student Room Group

Mixed Sex vs Single Sex - Accommodation which do you prefer?

I don't know whether I should apply for single female accommodation or mixed sex. I understand how 'bitchy' some females can be and to be honest I am really not up for any drama or to be left out. I have lived with all guys before and they are lovely and calm but I might not be lucky this time around.
What accommodation do you think I should get? What have you got/applying for? What do you prefer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The lowdown on mixed sex vs single sex is 1) no male not even the gay ones wants single sex accommodation (gay males have female friends) 2) Some females may want single sex accommodation but as you said it may be bitchy.
Reply 2
I want mixed sex because I'm scared if I go into single sex, it'll be full of radical man-haters or really religious people who think that looking at men before marriage is unholy or something :tongue:
Reply 3
mixed because it increases your chance to get laid
Original post by bmqib
mixed because it increases your chance to get laid

hahaha :rolleyes:
Reply 5
Original post by ifstatement
hahaha :rolleyes:

ok?
Reply 6
Original post by madders94
I want mixed sex because I'm scared if I go into single sex, it'll be full of radical man-haters or really religious people who think that looking at men before marriage is unholy or something :tongue:

You're actually completely right!

There are very few people who pick single sex accommodation without some religious reason to do so. A friend chose to be in all girls halls in first year, the ended up having to move out as she was the only white girl in the halls, and the other girls all pretty much refused to talk to her. They'd even start talking in their native language whenever she walked into the kitchen, even if they were talking English beforehand.

Now, I'm not saying every international student is like that, but single sex halls are mainly filled with people who are there because they have to be. So unless you have a serious reason why you need to choose single sex halls, don't.
Original post by bmqib
ok?

Just made me laugh because it's true, lots of people think the same way.
Mixed obviously otherwise the world should be filled with all males or all females lol
I will be applying for mixed.

Original post by Wave
The lowdown on mixed sex vs single sex is 1) no male not even the gay ones wants single sex accommodation (gay males have female friends) 2) Some females may want single sex accommodation but as you said it may be bitchy.

And I can confirm this to be true. :yep:
Original post by Dan1909
You're actually completely right!

There are very few people who pick single sex accommodation without some religious reason to do so. A friend chose to be in all girls halls in first year, the ended up having to move out as she was the only white girl in the halls, and the other girls all pretty much refused to talk to her. They'd even start talking in their native language whenever she walked into the kitchen, even if they were talking English beforehand.

Now, I'm not saying every international student is like that, but single sex halls are mainly filled with people who are there because they have to be. So unless you have a serious reason why you need to choose single sex halls, don't.

Arab chicks man. :s-smilie:
Definitley go for mixed sex, after all thats how life is.
I live in a mixed sex flat (not University accommodation, we privately rent out the bedrooms seperately). I'm the only girl to 4 guys. We used to have another girl. Me and her were the only ones that cleaned the kitchen, now its just me. We were both the only ones that washed our dishes anything close to timely, and now it's only me. I've literally just got sick of the huge pile of last month's dishes lying in the kitchen from all my male flatmates and washed them myself. Men are definitely (in general) worse at cleaning that women.
Reply 13
Original post by BoxesAndBangles
I live in a mixed sex flat (not University accommodation, we privately rent out the bedrooms seperately). I'm the only girl to 4 guys. We used to have another girl. Me and her were the only ones that cleaned the kitchen, now its just me. We were both the only ones that washed our dishes anything close to timely, and now it's only me. I've literally just got sick of the huge pile of last month's dishes lying in the kitchen from all my male flatmates and washed them myself. Men are definitely (in general) worse at cleaning that women.

You'd be surprised actually. It really does vary person to person, I've seen all girl flats (single sex accommodation) where it's far worse than anything I've seen with all guys, and I also know guys who are just damn lazy too!

It really is a personal thing, not a gender thing.
Reply 14
well,I m surprised
Reply 15
Original post by Dan1909
You'd be surprised actually. It really does vary person to person, I've seen all girl flats (single sex accommodation) where it's far worse than anything I've seen with all guys, and I also know guys who are just damn lazy too!

Yep this is true - my boyfriend lives in an all boys flat (god knows why, he said he didn't mean to put it on the form) and their flat is unbelievably tidy. His room isn't, but the kitchen is really tidy - because they have a clean freak friend, who makes rotas for literally everything.

I'm going to go for mixed. I think I'd feel too wierd if it was just girls living with me :/
It's a tough one. I get on much better with guys so I would probably feel a bit lonely in single sex accommodation but at the same time - I know it's being stereotypical - I find the guys are the ones that tend to be messiest and make the most noise. I'd probably still go for mixed sex if I got to choose again, but I'd just hope this time that I'd end up with people who don't intentionally turn their music up even louder because they know it annoys me.
Original post by Dan1909

I think it is a gender thing to an extent. I'm not saying there aren't a lot of girls who are messy and plenty of men who are tidy and clean but I think the extreme messiness tends to come from guys most of all. Girls tend to not have pizza boxes/empty bottles/dirty pants piling up everywhere or if they do, it tends to get cleaned up more often than once a term.
Reply 18
Original post by Wave

After living in a flat with five women and only one other man for a year I have to say that single sex accommodation is fine by me.
I didn't choose to live in an all girls flat but I got put there - I lived with 9 other girls and to be honest, I'm glad I did. I don't think I'd have made such amazing friends otherwise. There was a group of 5 of us who got on extremely well (I'm living with them this year too :smile:) and 3 others were lovely, just not as close. The final person, while she was lovely, there were a lot of issues. I'm not going to delve in case she reads this.

However, it's not for everyone. As I said, I specified mixed but got put in all girls - so it wasn't a choice for me. Personally though if I had the choice I would go mixed, but I was incredibly lucky with all girl accommodation.

Good luck whatever you choose - I'm sure it will be fine. Even if you live with people you're not particularly friends with, you're bound to make friends on your course or through societies, so don't worry too much. And you can live with different people the year after anyway. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending