The Student Room Group

Israel threaten pre-emptive strike on Iran

Obama has also come out saying that the US "will not hesitate" to use force to stop Iran obtaining nuclear weapons.

The world, just as in 1962, is in a precarious position again. And again, the US is over-playing the ambition of other nations.

Scroll to see replies

I think we should see how this meeting goes on Monday, then we should begin to worry if needs be.
Reply 2
Wouldn't a pre-emptitve strike that be illegal under international law or something?

Oh wait! I forget. Israel has never been good in following laws. Such a shame that they then turn around and claim another country (Iran) should not do what is essentially allowed of them under the law. i.e - possess nuclear technology.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
obama's only saying that to keep the jewish voters. i highly doubt that it is going to happen.
Reply 4
Israel probably would put this forward as Iran and alot of Arab countries hate Israel.
Reply 5
Yes very worrying. This benefits the regime in power in Iran who will use it as a pretext to further make life worse in Iran. The government of Iran is the one that is salivating over bombs dropping on Iran, nothing like some war terror as an excuse to suspend what remains of freedom in Iran, and make life even more miserable for the Iranian masses. The regime blossomed out of war terror, and will only survive if the spectre of an outside threat remains.

As for Israel, I'm not entirely sure what they will be targeting, they just seem to be becoming madder and madder. I'm still not convinced they are serious about striking Iran (everybody who knows what they are talking about in Israel says it is a bad idea) because the nuclear sites are impossible to strike from the air. I'm not really sure what their plan is. I would personally be surprised if strikes happen, and I think (and hope) it is a lot of hot air.
Reply 6
can you blame them?

If Iran manage to achieve nuclear weapons then the state of Israel will be in danger, which will result in overall unease to the western world. In my opinion if Iran manage to get nuclear weapons it will be good for them in one way which is they wont be bullied around from countries like the usa, Iran can add pressure to Israel to achieve peace between Muslims and jews and help the state of Palestine get recognized. but this could result into another costly war.
Reply 7
Original post by liquid394
Israel probably would put this forward as Iran and alot of Arab countries hate Israel.

Well no they don't. Saudi Arabia and the UAE have both demanded the USA attack Iran, and Saudi has given permission for Israeli aircraft to pass through it's airspace to bomb Iran. This is the problem, the Obama administration is being pushed by the Saudis and the Israelis, who are both powerful into what would be a totally destructive and terrible thing from the perspective of the Iranian people. The thing is, attacking Iran from the air has been decreed by military experts as logistically impossible, so I don't think it will happen and is hot air to get Iran negotiating. It is a totally different situation to the Syrian and Iraqi nuclear sites (both of which were French built I think LOL) that Israel destroyed very easily. http://www.policymic.com/articles/2791/why-it-s-militarily-impossible-to-halt-iran-s-nuclear-pursuits there is an article on this. Most of the military and regional experts in Israel and the USA have said that bombing Iran is a flat out stupid idea that wouldn't even work. The only real effect it would have is to make life more hellish for the Iranian people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
this might go againts some of u but due to my dad being in expert in Middle Eastern Law i have learnt that Israel is abit of a B****** to the Arab Countries, its always the media that protray Israel as the weak and right one when it comes to problems between the arab states. The only hope that these Arab states have is if Iran can offer protection. I myself don't agree with the whole nuclear weapon production but i can't blame them as everyone seems to be on them, but atm the world should be more concerned about the crisis in Syria. Sorry if i have insulted or annoyed anyone- everyone is intitled to their own view.
Reply 9
Original post by Algorithm69
If that is what it takes for Iran to halt its nuclear ambitions, so be it.

Contrary to what you may be under the illusion of, Iran is seeking nuclear ENERGY, not weapons.
Original post by Algorithm69
If that is what it takes for Iran to halt its nuclear ambitions, so be it.

Of course! What brilliant logic! To prevent Iran possibly becoming a nuclear state, we should endorse Israel, which already is a nuclear state! Great sense of priorities here.
Big whoop, ahmadinejad and Kim Jong has threatened before. People like to talk. Lets just see what happens, no point speculating. If Israel do launch an attack than Iran will launch back then the US will have to get involved and back Israel (which I don't understand considering Israel can more than handle itself and destroy Iran). There's nothing the international community can do to stop Iran getting nuclear weapons short of ground invasion and total regime change. Economic sanctions are pointless and will just harm the people.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
This is a man who won the Nobel Peace Prize as well.
Original post by Bishy786
Contrary to what you may be under the illusion of, Iran is seeking nuclear ENERGY, not weapons.

Then why does it not totally cooperate with the IAEA?
Original post by Mr Advice
This is a man who won the Nobel Peace Prize as well.

So? He obviously has to make it seem like he has every intention of invading, it's called being smart and scaring your enemies.
Original post by anarchism101
Of course! What brilliant logic! To prevent Iran possibly becoming a nuclear state, we should endorse Israel, which already is a nuclear state! Great sense of priorities here.

The difference being is that Iran is bat**** insane.
Original post by Dont Tread On Me

What will Iran do with nuclear weapons? It won't attack Israel because of MAD. All that will happen is the international community can't put militarily intervention on the table.
Reply 17
We have no real evidence that Obama is going to act militarily to stop Iran from getting a nuclear weapon. Talk and sanctions will not work. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what is going on in Iran. Iran's antisemitic leadership is well insulated economically and is getting closer each day to getting a nuclear weapon. They don't care about threats from the U.S. and sanctions.

Israel may have to act independently of the US.
Original post by Mr Advice
Obama has also come out saying that the US "will not hesitate" to use force to stop Iran obtaining nuclear weapons.

The world, just as in 1962, is in a precarious position again. And again, the US is over-playing the ambition of other nations.

:fcaepalm:

Did you even listen to President Obama's AIPAC speech today? If so, you would have heard him say that war with Iran and/or strikes on Iran, is not going to be the preferred approach to the solution; diplomacy and sanctions still very much have a place at the center of the table.

So stop with the needless was-mongering :rolleyes:
Original post by Dont Tread On Me

Iran hasn't attacked another country in a couple of centuries.

Israel has occupied all of the Palestinian territories and part of Syria for over 40 years and has invaded Lebanon three times in that same period.

Yet Israel are fine with weapons but Iran isn't according to you?

Quick Reply