The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9000
Reply 9001
Original post by u4m1r

You bastard, I was about to do that.
Weighed in at only 73.1kg today.

About to eat an entire tub of Ben And Jerries with the gf though. Back to being fat again next weigh in...

Also, am i the only one that hates barbell rows? I don't know why but i just don't like it as a movement at all. It seems so unnatural. Dumbell rows are fine but i cant do barbell rows.
Original post by u4m1r

Noticed you and terminator were entering a first timers strongman comp.

How's training going for that? Any recent video updates?
Reply 9004
Original post by cowsforsale
Noticed you and terminator were entering a first timers strongman comp.

How's training going for that? Any recent video updates?

I dropped out because I preferred to cut for aesthetics than get stronger.
Good choice
Original post by Motorbiker

Also, am i the only one that hates barbell rows? I don't know why but i just don't like it as a movement at all. It seems so unnatural. Dumbell rows are fine but i cant do barbell rows.

Nope.

I am also feel like it's rather unnatural. I mean, I can do like 60kg fine but you start going higher and I just either use too much momentum or it feels weird.

Thing is, I don't think my back is especially weak or anything. I think just the awkwardness of the movement means I'm weak at it as opposed to having a weak back.

I'm gonna try doing some one-arm barbell rows instead. Would have really liked if my gym had chest-supported rows. I think it has a machine which is similar so I may need to try that.
nothing beats barbell rows for general upper back development though
Squats.

Toes out or pointing forward?

Arturo Bandini

Weighted Chins? I like barbell rows but suffer from lower back niggles whilst doing them.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just use the machine. I do lots of pull-ups and powercleans so not fussed about rows. I would class rowing movements a strength for me also.
Squats.

Weighted Chins? I like barbell rows but suffer from lower back niggles whilst doing them.

I like weighted chins but they're not as good for thickness, in m experience anyway. and they don't hit traps like bb rows do.
Reply 9012
Just started doing pendlay rows as opposed to the conventional BB rows. Finding they are better.
Rows are ****ing boring.

Squats I tend to do with my feet slightly everted but I'm trying to get out of the habit as I think it's putting excessive strain on my acetabulofemoral joints.
Original post by u4m1r
Around what bodyfat% will my jawline start becoming more prominent?

Depends on water retention, genetics etc etc but it'll be around 6-10% for a chiselled one.
Depends on the person. I squat with toes out, but I also walk with toes out... like a duck

Squats.

Yes I think I'm gonna give pendlay rows a go too.

There's things thrown out there like you should row as much as you bench - REALLY? I very much doubt I could barbell row 110-115kg for a single. No ****ing way.

Or at least not strict. I don't like movements that I can start to cheat on too much really. Like you do 60kg for 3x10 but you used a little bit of leg/momentum. Next time you hit 62.5kg for 3x10. Are you stronger or did you use a little MORE momentum than the previous time? Too any variables like that.
Original post by redbuthotter
Depends on the person. I squat with toes out, but I also walk with toes out... like a duck

Yeah, Kelly Starrett from Mobiliywod seems to be the only person who is totally against the toes out notion as he explains here.

[video="youtube;46EDDftgFZI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EDDftgFZI&feature=plcp&context=C3b33a11UDOEgsToPDskKqGh ECYeLEEC7teNrxTYR0[/video]

On the walking topic, I walk with my feet perfectly straight. Is walking with the feet out actually a sign of imbalances/muscle dominance etc?
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't know man, doesn't really matter. Toes in if you can, but if you can't then just do it toes out if its more natural. Elite oly guys do both, seen out and in, iirc most catch out in heavy cleans.

Yeah, Kelly Starrett from Mobiliywod seems to be the only person who is totally against the toes out notion as he explains here.

[video="youtube;46EDDftgFZI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46EDDftgFZI&feature=plcp&context=C3b33a11UDOEgsToPDskKqGh ECYeLEEC7teNrxTYR0[/video]

On the walking topic, I walk with my feet perfectly straight. Is walking with the feet out actually a sign of imbalances/muscle dominance etc?
I've squatted toes out for 3 years, 10,000 reps or so and am still pretty on the ball :P

Latest