The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

How long does it take you guys to get to firms/GP on average and how do you get there?
Sliced through a brain this morning at an autopsy - definitely one of the weirdest experiences in my life..
Original post by xconfetti
Sliced through a brain this morning at an autopsy - definitely one of the weirdest experiences in my life..

Was it really satisfying?
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Was it really satisfying?

It was quite cool and really interesting, but at the same time I didn't really feel like I had any right to do it - even though the person obviously didn't need it any more, I still saw it as his brain XD So yeah, all in all, quite bizarre!
Original post by RollerBall
How long does it take you guys to get to firms/GP on average and how do you get there?

Last year was all infirms at Big Shiny Teaching Hospitals. 40mins walk, underground isn't worth it in the morning, unless you want to get squashed. GP was about 30mins underground. easily done.

40mins to an hour *sigh* By car. I dread to think how long it would take by public transport.

GP about an hour, secondary care can be 10 mins, can be an hour and a half :teehee:

If the placement is not in Norwich UEA provide coaches to take us there, if in Norwich we have to make our own way there :smile:

Aberdeen - 30 min walk to either the main hosp site or the outpatient block in the city centre. Half hour on the bus to the hospital outside of town, or up to an hours walk.
Inverness - put up in halls on site, so apparently a <1 min walk.

GP in pre-clins - half hour to 45 mins, either on the bus or get a lift from whoever in the group owns a car.
GP in clinicals - can be sent anything up to 5 hours away (Mallaig, Western Isles) and get put up in a B&B.
(edited 12 years ago)

Last rotation - living on site so less than a minute :tongue:, but then it was a 40 min bus to the GP placement from there
This rotation - tube, then a bus, generally 45 mins to an hour depending on reliability
Next rotation - tube then a train, should be about 45 mins

GP takes about 30 minutes via public transport and the uni provides coaches for us to get to hospital visits - for my group this takes about 20 minutes
GP was about 20 minutes ride when I was living at home.

Current placement takes approx 30-45 minutes.

6 month placement at teaching hospital in 3rd year took me 1h10mins every day!
Original post by Mushi_master
Last rotation - living on site so less than a minute :tongue:, but then it was a 40 min bus to the GP placement from there
This rotation - tube, then a bus, generally 45 mins to an hour depending on reliability
Next rotation - tube then a train, should be about 45 mins

Sounds about right.
Original post by oxygenbubbles
Is anyone else revising for finals feeling like they're not revising properly/the right things? I was enjoying my first day of GP land yesterday when it struck me I have 9 weeks til finals..ahh! I feel like everytime I read something, I've forgotten it the week later.. :redface:

Got 17 days and just realised: got lots to do, lots.
Original post by oxygenbubbles
Is anyone else revising for finals feeling like they're not revising properly/the right things? I was enjoying my first day of GP land yesterday when it struck me I have 9 weeks til finals..ahh! I feel like everytime I read something, I've forgotten it the week later.. :redface:

oh crap - i have 12 weeks!!!
PANIC!!!
GP takes about 30 minutes via public transport and the uni provides coaches for us to get to hospital visits - for my group this takes about 20 minutes

:eek:
I dont remember this!!
Original post by fairy spangles
:eek:
I dont remember this!!

maybe they acted on the feedback they love so much? :tongue:

T- 16.5 hours!!!
Came across a book about a Dr disgnosed with terminal cancer and her experiences. http://theothersidestory.co.uk/ Profits going to the Yorkshire Cancer Centre where she is being treated. They have an appeal going to buy kit for patient use, fair enough - a 2011 wishlist:http://www.yorkshirecancercentre.org.uk/PDFdocs/wish_list.pdf

On the end of that list, there's £581 for suggestion boxes. I don't think this is a good way to spend appeal money. Thoughts?
maybe they acted on the feedback they love so much? :tongue:

T- 16.5 hours!!!

Lucky you can be there then!
I dont finish till 5ish then i have to go get ready and get there!! Im tempted just to go straight from the hospital.
Humm we havent had the usual if your not in lectures we will kick your arse
e-mail.
Original post by fairy spangles
Lucky you can be there then!
I dont finish till 5ish then i have to go get ready and get there!! Im tempted just to go straight from the hospital.
Humm we havent had the usual if your not in lectures we will kick your arse
e-mail.

I'm going after the 12 o clock lecture so will be there around 1.45, but they put last year's recap of that lecture on the LSE last week so I suspect most of the first years will be going at 12 ^^ Sucks you can't be there until later :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Wangers
Came across a book about a Dr disgnosed with terminal cancer and her experiences. http://theothersidestory.co.uk/ Profits going to the Yorkshire Cancer Centre where she is being treated. They have an appeal going to buy kit for patient use, fair enough - a 2011 wishlist:http://www.yorkshirecancercentre.org.uk/PDFdocs/wish_list.pdf

On the end of that list, there's £581 for suggestion boxes. I don't think this is a good way to spend appeal money. Thoughts?

£581 for suggestion boxes? Are they made of gold?

On the topic of travel to placements, Cambridge provide accommodation for all placements that aren't in Cambridge, though it is of varying quality so some people do commute, virtually all by car as public transport outside London just isn't up to it. I lived 5 mins walk from Addenbrooke's; all the placement hospitals were 30-90 mins away by car. GP placements can be all over Cambridge, but nowhere in Cambridge is really more than 30 mins bike. For GP placements outside Cambridge, they'll either put you up in the local hospital accommodation, or if it's really remote, a B&B.

Latest

Trending

Trending