The Student Room Group

CeMAP

Hi there, I've read hundreds of threads on here as whenever I type in a question on Google this is generally where I'll find the answer, this time however I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm 19 and went straight from A-Levels (3D's in English, Drama and Philosophy) into working for a building society in a call centre. I did that for 10 months and was consistently above 200% of my targets and in June the job I wanted finally came up in my area, I managed to get it and am now an accounts manager at a local branch.

I enjoy my job and am happy to do it for a while yet however I want to set my sights on something a lot more challenging in the future and seeing as I'm interested in the mortgage industry and people will always need a mortgage I've decided that's where I want to go next, hence why I'm looking at taking CeMAP to get myself into a position where I can apply for a mortgages adviser role.

I'm good at cross selling and am confident of my ability to hit and surpass the targets set for me, the only thing I don't know much about is CeMAP and although I've searched high and low on the internet all I find is sites wanting to sign me up for a course before actually giving me proper information.

I'm competent in every day maths but dropped it at AS-Level after a couple of months as I'd certainly taken on board too many subjects and really didn't enjoy the fact it was still completing 100 equations in an hour from a text book but either way I did find it difficult (possibly because algebra and equations were never my strong point).

What I really want to know is...

What kind of maths are involved with the CeMap qualification?

Where can I find resources to study in my own time (2-3 hours an evening) at a reasonable price?

Where would I be able to find help should I need it?

How long would it take based on that study time to complete all parts of the course?

Sorry for the immensely long post that probably could have been just the questions, all help is thoroughly appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello. I'm guessing you've probably given up on this thread, but for anybody who wants to know the answers to the above, I've taken & passed CeMAP so I can tell you a fair bit about it..

-In regards to the maths involved, it's very little. I myself took A-Level maths & got an A. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyway, back to the topic of CeMAP. The maths in mortgages are simply finding percentages & other basic numerical functions (adding, dividing etc). Nothing too intense, so don't let this be a drawback.

-The study materials are available from IFS (Institute of financial services). They will set you back a good £120-£150 for each module. There are 3 modules in CeMAP. This charge includes 1 sitting of the exam, any additional sittings will cost you a further £120-£150. There are no shortcuts, no cheap entrances, this is the only way to get genuine CeMAP study materials. Specimen papers are a further £20 each.

-It's a very demanding qualification (equivalent to an A-Level). You have to put your everything into learning the subject. It's not something you improve on from school, it's a completely new subject to everyone. The laws & regs are the most difficult part (CeMAP 1). As for CeMAP2 & CeMAP3.. again, it will be very difficult unless you have a very good background knowledge of the mortgage industry. I myself started an apprenticeship at a mortgage broking firm, so CeMAP 2 & CeMAP 3 were a lot easier for me because I was working in a mortgage environment everyday.

-I completed the course in 6 months. As I mentioned earlier, it is equivalent to an A-Level, so 18 months - 2 years is a reasonable target. You could even do it parralel to A-Levels.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be perfectly blunt with you, this qualification doesn't guarentee you employment. Based on your A-Level results, you will find it very difficult to find a job in this industry. I would strongly advise re-sitting your A-Levels before applying for a job as this would increase your chances significantly if you can get AT LEAST 3 B's.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by gt999
Hello. I'm guessing you've probably given up on this thread, but for anybody who wants to know the answers to the above, I've taken & passed CeMAP so I can tell you a fair bit about it..

-In regards to the maths involved, it's very little. I myself took A-Level maths & got an A. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Anyway, back to the topic of CeMAP. The maths in mortgages are simply finding percentages & other basic numerical functions (adding, dividing etc). Nothing too intense, so don't let this be a drawback.

-The study materials are available from IFS (Institute of financial services). They will set you back a good £120-£150 for each module. There are 3 modules in CeMAP. This charge includes 1 sitting of the exam, any additional sittings will cost you a further £120-£150. There are no shortcuts, no cheap entrances, this is the only way to get genuine CeMAP study materials. Specimen papers are a further £20 each.

-It's a very demanding qualification (equivalent to an A-Level). You have to put your everything into learning the subject. It's not something you improve on from school, it's a completely new subject to everyone. The laws & regs are the most difficult part (CeMAP 1). As for CeMAP2 & CeMAP3.. again, it will be very difficult unless you have a very good background knowledge of the mortgage industry. I myself started an apprenticeship at a mortgage broking firm, so CeMAP 2 & CeMAP 3 were a lot easier for me because I was working in a mortgage environment everyday.

-I completed the course in 6 months. As I mentioned earlier, it is equivalent to an A-Level, so 18 months - 2 years is a reasonable target. You could even do it parralel to A-Levels.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be perfectly blunt with you, this qualification doesn't guarentee you employment. Based on your A-Level results, you will find it very difficult to find a job in this industry. I would strongly advise re-sitting your A-Levels before applying for a job as this would increase your chances significantly if you can get AT LEAST 3 B's.

Hope this helps.

I dont have any gcse or a-levels. does this mean I have no chance of getting employment after passing cemaps?
Reply 3
hi, can someone tell me if its important to be working in a financial institute while doing CeMap because I am not working at the moment but plan to start CeMap?
thank you
Hello

I am looking at starting the ceMAP - how hard is it really? I am not the best at taking stuff in and I know nothing about mortgages and finance but am determined. any advice would be great
Reply 5
hI,

CEMAP requires a lot of time and determination. You don't necessarily have to have a finance background for it. Just be prepared and be ready to read a lot and you can smash it.
Hello, I have booked my exam for 2 months time and only just finishing section 2 of Unit 1. I have bought some papers from eBay to practice on and will buy a practice paper from IFS as well.

What I wanted to know is; how do I remember majority of section 1 unit 1? I find it difficult to remember units, gilts and other regulatin information and taxation etc.

Can someone please give me some ideas on how to write memorable revision notes.

Thank you
Reply 7
For Mrniceguy1988 the best thing you can do is not get to caught up on every single fact and figure as it's far to much to remember. I have recently passed my CeMAP1 and the best advice I can give is study as much as possible but more than that is to constantly redo the test papers! They are your best tool to remember the important parts the course wants you to know. I had 3 separate test papers which I did each one at least 5 times over. By doing multiple test papers you will spot the trends in the questions and the areas you are expected to learn.
Reply 8
I left school with no qualifications. I had 3 jobs before going to work for a high street bank as a cashier. I worked my way up to mortgage reviewer and then mortgage advisor. While working as a mortgage reviewer I sat cemap 1, 2, 3. All of which I did within 2 months. cemap 1, I read the book over a weekend and then did the exam on the Tuesday and passed. 2 I read the first half of the book and left the rest. Cemap 3 I didn't read. I did both exams on the same day and got distinctions and merits. The exams may have changed as this was in 2008. My point is don't worry about what grades you got at school. Hard work and a basic knowledge of mortgages will get you through. Just make sure if you have not worked in the industry that you read the books. I was at an advantage with already working in mortgages and insurance.
Reply 9
Well guys, I am a CeMap Level 3 Qualified Mortgage Advisor. I left school with only d's and e's in my gcse's. I has various jobs for a few years before going to work at a High Street Bank as a Cashier. From there I worked my way up from Cashier to Banking Advisor, Mortgage Reviewer to Mortgage Advisor. I am now one of the top performing Mortgage Advisors in my company. CeMap 1, before I took CeMap1 i had been working in Mortgages for a year so had a fare bit of background knowledge. CeMap 1, I read the book over 3 days from start to finish, I then went to do the exam which was split in 2 parts, I got 2 x Pass grades. CeMap 2 I skimmed through this over a couple of days (It's more about insurance than mortgages and as I was selling Insurance I knew pretty much everything anyway. I got distinction and a Merit if my memory serves me right. CeMap 3 which I did on the same day as CeMap2 I got Merits. I think the exams have probably changed by now as this was in 2008. My point for replying is don't worry about what happened at School, You can buy CeMap yourself and go for the qualification. The best bet though is go and get a job in a bank and work your way up to be a Mortgage Advisor.
Reply 10
I'm currently studying for my CEMAP 1. I bought the revision guide to help with my studying. Is it possible to just learn all the information in the study guide and still pass?

Thanks
Reply 11
Hi there, I am currently doing CEMAP1, is there any past exam paper available I can purchase much appreciated.

Thanks
I'm also looking at studying CEMAP 1 over the next couple of months, if anyone can point me in the right direction to any materiel I would be much appreciated. Also are discs available to study interactively?
I've worked in a building society for a couple of years and I currently sell insurance so hopefully this will help a little

Thanks
Original post by gt999

Hope this helps.

I think this post is unjust. When it comes to employability it doesn't matter what a level results an individual has, they are just one factor. When I look to employ people I look at many areas. Intelligence is shown in many forms and, in this situation, as long as the candidate has the CeMap qualification then many employers will give them a chance, as I would. Some of the most financially successful people I know (I'm talking about multi-millionaires,) have known and have as my closest friends have no GCSE's!! Yes I have plenty of friends with excellent degrees from Oxbridge that are doing just fine but the most successful have nothing academically. It annoys me considerably when the state indoctrinates people with this notion that without good academic grades you are not worth the same or better as someone else!!! I have friends who have built their own companies from nothing and are now multi-millionaires!! The most highly placed, without a single GCSE, being an underwriter of Lloyds of London insurance market. He currently lives in a multi million pound country house in the South of England. Encouragement and support is what people need. Give it to them, and watch them flourish!!
(edited 8 years ago)
hi i am here for the first time to any social network site as i was looking for info on cemap 3 ive got cemap 1 an 2 a long time ago, I just looked at some of the messages on this site I was pleased to see the reply from spenhex as he would give some hope to those not so far along in cemap and life. I ran a very successful finance business for 20 yrs and never expected to need to take the exam as it was designed for those doing residential mortgages which i never did as my clients were millionaires investing in blocks of flats. however due to the last moment introduction of the 40% rule i was forced to take the exam.I left school with 5 cse`s and expected and wanted a life in catering i left after i reached 21 and been the youngest ass catering manager by about 30yrs at Fenwicks of bond st london 200 staff 5 catering outlets it was just common sense that i used nothing special just as always and know caring for people as individuals and doing what i could to help, freely.I am not good at exams and yet the cemap is not that difficult if you have an experienced broker to talk face to face with (not me) that knows the day to day stuff none of which is difficult and the exam is so limited in the questions that can be asked it means that if you get your hands on as many past papers/answers and study well the stuff from the ifa you can do it in about 60 to100 hrs for all 3 papers together unless its changed a lot paper 3 is a combination of 1and 2. just read all questions twise start at d and work to a eliminate the obvious and then read the choice of answers carefully as it is often the subtle diffrence that catchers you out. work through the paper very quickly the first go to get to see what you will deal with and then answer those you are very comfortable with then go back and answer those you are needing a little bit more time and if your taking more than 2 mins move on do the hardest last then last 5 mins of time just cover remaining with a good guess do if time last thing reread q and a but do not change unless you really are sure that first answer was wrong.last of all maths in mortgages is very simple straight calculations after a while you will be doing in your sleep. In the exam its the state benefits and pension knowledge and the clients supposed needs that need an experienced hand to explain in plain english what is truely needed. As far as help go to the current online trade mag sites and just become regular at reading them and play at looking for mortgages on line as people in different needs. good luck and enjoy life

Original post by M.C.S.
Hi there, I've read hundreds of threads on here as whenever I type in a question on Google this is generally where I'll find the answer, this time however I couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

I'm 19 and went straight from A-Levels (3D's in English, Drama and Philosophy) into working for a building society in a call centre. I did that for 10 months and was consistently above 200% of my targets and in June the job I wanted finally came up in my area, I managed to get it and am now an accounts manager at a local branch.

I enjoy my job and am happy to do it for a while yet however I want to set my sights on something a lot more challenging in the future and seeing as I'm interested in the mortgage industry and people will always need a mortgage I've decided that's where I want to go next, hence why I'm looking at taking CeMAP to get myself into a position where I can apply for a mortgages adviser role.

I'm good at cross selling and am confident of my ability to hit and surpass the targets set for me, the only thing I don't know much about is CeMAP and although I've searched high and low on the internet all I find is sites wanting to sign me up for a course before actually giving me proper information.

I'm competent in every day maths but dropped it at AS-Level after a couple of months as I'd certainly taken on board too many subjects and really didn't enjoy the fact it was still completing 100 equations in an hour from a text book but either way I did find it difficult (possibly because algebra and equations were never my strong point).

What I really want to know is...

What kind of maths are involved with the CeMap qualification?

Where can I find resources to study in my own time (2-3 hours an evening) at a reasonable price?

Where would I be able to find help should I need it?

How long would it take based on that study time to complete all parts of the course?

Sorry for the immensely long post that probably could have been just the questions, all help is thoroughly appreciated!
Reply 15
Dont believe! you need to study the modules before taking the exam otherwise you will waste your time and money.
Hi Sunny D, I do not know why you would think that i or anyone would recommend that you not study the course work before trying to take an exam on any subject?. I am new at this but not at mortgages and therefore i have not got my notes and I was not sure how much of what i typed was relayed. However, I know I said to get as much practice from old pass papers with the access to the correct answers as you can and that as in all exams 1st read the paper quickly, then answer all that you are very sure of getting right further more read the multi choice answers from d to a and dismiss the obvious wrong answers then very carefully read the chioces left as it is often just a word or frace that catches you out.
May you find success in life, my main aim was to encourge people that the CEMAP exams are that hard and that great brains or maths is needed and for some a collage degree helps but it is far from the end of the world if you do not get one.
Kind regards, J Daniels.
Hi there I have read the post above by all you great guys thanks a lot for the info. I am from Mumbai (India)and did my masters in finance and taxation from Mumbai university. I have worked with the mortgage industry in India for 13 yrs. I will be immigrating to UK shortly. A friend of mine advised me to do additional qualification and the CeMap course really appealed me . I was working as a mortgage advisor (relationship officer) back in India with a reputable bank. Need some information as to 1) Which institute should I apply for this course2) What are my chances of getting a job once I do this course considering I have relevant work experience but overseas3) Is it necessary I need to complete levels 1, 2 & 3 before applying for any job.4) Many sites advertise for home learning any genuine ones to be considered is it possible to clear the course only with the course material and reference papers5) Is there a option of working in the mortgage industry and then opt for the course6) What is the ideal duration of the course
Hi there I have read the post above by all you great guys thanks a lot for the info. I am from Mumbai (India)and did my masters in finance and taxation from Mumbai university. I have worked with the mortgage industry in India for 13 yrs. I will be immigrating to UK shortly. A friend of mine advised me to do additional qualification and the CeMap course really appealed me . I was working as a mortgage advisor (relationship officer) back in India with a reputable bank. Need some information as to
1) Which institute should I apply for this course
2) What are my chances of getting a job once I do this course considering I have relevant work experience but overseas
3) Is it necessary I need to complete levels 1, 2 & 3 before applying for any job.
4) Many sites advertise for home learning any genuine ones to be considered is it possible to clear the course only with the course material and reference papers
5) Is there a option of working in the mortgage industry and then opt for the course
6) What is the ideal duration of the course
Hi Cemap people of England,

Pay it forwards...

Could you please email me some course materiel and sample exams ect.. so I can start studying while i save up the fees.

Many thanks in advance,

halkennard at gmail.com

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending