The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G8D
I don't get the big fuss HTC makes about 25GB Dropbox.. I got 50GB free from Box.com just for installing the Android app...

Also: can anyone tell me exactly what processor is in the onex? I'm seeing Tegra 3 and S4 in different places so I can't tell.

EDIT: is is just the LTE one that goes with S4? http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=4320&idPhone2=4572

EDIT2: Is S4 dual or quad core ffs? :nothing:

I remember seeing 50gb free from box.com but I remember it being very limited? Like that 50gb was for photos only or something?

Also anyone who's in support of Android Open Source Project, please sign this petition from the CyanogenMod team over at XDA:

http://www.change.org/petitions/samsung-mobile-help-third-party-development-achieve-full-potential-of-purchased-devices

Reply 6961
Original post by G8D
I thought so too but... http://youtu.be/s9hQD6ddhDw

Upon further investigation, it seems that S4 is a group of chips: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapdragon_(system_on_chip)#Current_and_future_specifications

If you scroll down to S4 there are a number of variants, with the "krait" being a quad core model.
http://direct.asda.com/HTC-Evo-3D-Android-Mobile-Phone/008718410,default,pd.html?

Great deal for a great phone if anyone's interested (as long as you'e not itching to get one of the next line of phones i.e. quad cores).
Awesome price for a solid phone. 3D sucks but I assume you can switch that off.

Where's the S2 Ice Cream update? I hear it's been skinned so much that it doesn't feel like an upgrade at all. Booo to Touchwiz! I want the official Samsung ROM minus the Touchwiz, which I presume should be arriving some day...?
Original post by silent ninja

Where's the S2 Ice Cream update? I hear it's been skinned so much that it doesn't feel like an upgrade at all. Booo to Touchwiz! I want the official Samsung ROM minus the Touchwiz, which I presume should be arriving some day...?

March 15th apparently (according to Samsung Israel :tongue:).

Also Temple Run on March 27th woo :wink:
Reply 6965
Original post by silent ninja

Once they release the sources it should be a matter of a week or two before CM9 is good enough to use as a daily ROM.
Original post by und
Once they release the sources it should be a matter of a week or two before CM9 is good enough to use as a daily ROM.

Which brings me to my earlier post:

Original post by hassi94

Also anyone who's in support of Android Open Source Project, please sign this petition from the CyanogenMod team over at XDA:

http://www.change.org/petitions/samsung-mobile-help-third-party-development-achieve-full-potential-of-purchased-devices

:tongue:
I wish I had enough money to start a company that makes mobiles phones. I'd get Cyanogen to build the OS and it'd be the best phone ever. Unlocked bootloader. Root out the box, always up to date OS, nightly builds for the real geeks out there and as much customisation as you could shake a stick at. Whack Gapps, Beautiful Widgets and Android Pro Widgets on there as a bonus and the geek tech world would be a beautiful place.
Original post by mikeyd85
I wish I had enough money to start a company that makes mobiles phones. I'd get Cyanogen to build the OS and it'd be the best phone ever. Unlocked bootloader. Root out the box, always up to date OS, nightly builds for the real geeks out there and as much customisation as you could shake a stick at. Whack Gapps, Beautiful Widgets and Android Pro Widgets on there as a bonus and the geek tech world would be a beautiful place.

Even if you became a millionaire over night, consumers would not want that phone, right now the majority of people want an iPhone.

Also want would you define as the "best phone ever"?? (Of course the definition is subjective but I want your opinion)

Yeah your phone might appeal to the geek community but lets be honest where is the money in that? :laugh: The geek community want things for free not paid for.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FinalMH
Even if you became a millionaire over night, consumers would not want that phone, right now the majority of people want an iPhone.

Also want would you define as the "best phone ever"?? (Of course the definition is subjective but I want your opinion)

Yeah your phone might appeal to the geek community but lets be honest where is the money in that? :laugh: The geek community want things for free not paid for.

Going on sales figures - I'd argue that's no longer the case. People want smartphones and Android is cheaper which is probably a large reason as to why it's done so well, though I'd now say Android and it's app store is getting a convincing enough option on it's own right.

My opinion of the best phone ever is one that is always up to date and can access all the features of the most up to date version of the OS, hardware permitting (ie, I wouldn't expect my Desire S to be NFC compatible). I'd personally say that a dual core 28nm phone with a 3.9" screen, 128GB of storage + SD Card, removable 2,500mwh battery and an aluminium unibody is the way forward, however, that is not what I would sell.

I'd sell a "superphone" with a 4.3" screen with epic specs and a standard phone with a 3.7" screen and high mid-range specs to start off with.

I think that a phone that's always up to date (software wise) would appeal to many. Ask an iPhone 4 user if they're pissed they can't use Siri just because Apple say so, or, for instance, a HTC Desire HD on Orange user if they're annoyed they've only just got 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0 when others have had it for ages. Yeah, not everyone cares (my sister has a GS2 that still has it's default homescreens.... :rolleyes:), but I think that the promise of always up-to-date and very customisable OS would be a really good USP for an Android device. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Going on sales figures - I'd argue that's no longer the case. People want smartphones and Android is cheaper which is probably a large reason as to why it's done so well, though I'd now say Android and it's app store is getting a convincing enough option on it's own right.

My opinion of the best phone ever is one that is always up to date and can access all the features of the most up to date version of the OS, hardware permitting (ie, I wouldn't expect my Desire S to be NFC compatible). I'd personally say that a dual core 28nm phone with a 3.9" screen, 128GB of storage + SD Card, removable 2,500mwh battery and an aluminium unibody is the way forward, however, that is not what I would sell.

I'd sell a "superphone" with a 4.3" screen with epic specs and a standard phone with a 3.7" screen and high mid-range specs to start off with.

I think that a phone that's always up to date (software wise) would appeal to many. Ask an iPhone 4 user if they're pissed they can't use Siri just because Apple say so, or, for instance, a HTC Desire HD on Orange user if they're annoyed they've only just got 2.3.5 with Sense 3.0 when others have had it for ages. Yeah, not everyone cares (my sister has a GS2 that still has it's default homescreens.... :rolleyes:), but I think that the promise of always up-to-date and very customisable OS would be a really good USP for an Android device. :smile:

Isn't the Galaxy s2 the best selling smartphone ever?
Original post by TheCasual
Isn't the Galaxy s2 the best selling smartphone ever?

Might be, but I hate it! Haha!
I love mine but I've replaced the launcher with Go and have a 5x4 grid which is so much more space efficient
Might be, but I hate it! Haha!

:eek: Why? I've got it and love it x

:eek: Why? I've got it and love it x

Far too big, feels cheap, hate, hate, hate the launcher. All my opinion of course. :smile:
Far too big, feels cheap, hate, hate, hate the launcher. All my opinion of course. :smile:

So what is your prefect size? You can change the launchers though.
So what is your prefect size? You can change the launchers though.

I've gone from a HTC Hero to a HTC Desire S. Both pretty much the same size, though the DS has a bigger screen at 3.7". Yeah, I know you can. Tbh, I find that I prefer Nova launcher to anything else I've used. Granted, its ICS only and I probably wouldn't use it if I wasn't rocking an aosp based ROM.
According to Engadget, the SGS2 will get ICS on Saturday. But they think it won't have Flash or Bluetooth 3.0 support. Add the fact it won't look any different to the current stock ROM due to Touchwiz, is there any point in updating? What are the benefits?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6978
Is there any way I can have my phone on silent except for one number, which would be on ringtone and vibrate?
Original post by G8D
It'll run better.

In what ways? I seriously have zero issues in the way it runs. I get no slowdowns, rarely any bugs and everything just works. Plus all apps work on 2.3.5 whereas some have teething issues on ICS. If it was vanilla ICS I'd jump on it but it's totally skinned as far as I know.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest