The Student Room Group
Original post by fairy spangles
:eek:
I dont remember this!!

Last year they offered us coaches but we had enough cars to go around. This year though it's fend for yourself.

Original post by xconfetti
maybe they acted on the feedback they love so much? :tongue:

T- 16.5 hours!!!

:biggrin: How are we recognising each other again?

Original post by fairy spangles
Lucky you can be there then!
I dont finish till 5ish then i have to go get ready and get there!! Im tempted just to go straight from the hospital.
Humm we havent had the usual if your not in lectures we will kick your arse
e-mail.

I have to get back from the middle of nowhere, where I am all day for my GP so I'll probably only get there when it's in Tynemouth.
Reply 9461
Anyone good with suturing?

Just wondering, how do you know when to do different types of stitch? Would you need to know more than basic continuous/interrupted for OSCEs?
Original post by Lantana

:biggrin: How are we recognising each other again?

I'm not the most easily recognisable person as I don't really have any easily distinguishable features haha, I'll PM you :smile:
I'm not the most easily recognisable person as I don't really have any easily distinguishable features haha, I'll PM you :smile:

Normally I am as I turn up in bike stuff, but as we're in scrubs I will have to make do with a purple hairband with a bow on it.
On my last rotation before exams and I'm finally starting to enjoy things. It's amazing how much difference it makes when the consultant(s) in charge of your learning actually care and/or like teaching.
Original post by Lantana
Normally I am as I turn up in bike stuff, but as we're in scrubs I will have to make do with a purple hairband with a bow on it.

Haha ok, I will try my best :smile:
Haha ok, I will try my best :smile:

:yay:
Anyone see the Horizon documentary about the benefits of exercise? I'm quite dubious about the whole HIT theory...was interesting nonetheless though
Reply 9468
Anybody read the letter in the BMA News from a Peninsula student arguing that all lectures should be made compulsory so that people attend because otherwise "nobody goes." What do you think? It's irked me off a wee bit...
Original post by Beska
Anybody read the letter in the BMA News from a Peninsula student arguing that all lectures should be made compulsory so that people attend because otherwise "nobody goes." What do you think? It's irked me off a wee bit...

I don't want to lectures to become compulsory, because otherwise people sit in the lecture and chat the whole way through and it's really offputting. I wouldn't care if there was only 10% of the year there if they were there because they wanted to be and not because it was registered.

If people can pass the exams because they work hard and don't go to lectures fair enough.

If people don't go to lectures and fail the exams - kick them out :p:

We're not children anymore, and I think we should take responsibility for our own learning. If people honestly need a lecture to be registered just so it makes them go then that's a bit pathetic really.

Just my thoughts :smile:
Original post by Beska

Ironically there have been a fair few lectures where the lecturer didn't turn up, which I find far more annoying than people not going. I don't think they should be compulsory.
Original post by crazylemon

It irks me more on firms when people dont turn up and I think that is actually an issue as I know several people who spend no time in the hospital and still get signed off

I HATE that. Or getting your mate to sign you in. It makes my blood boil. Just turns the whole process into a farce.

I wouldn't like lectures to be compulsory though, people have different learning styles and unfortunately a lot of lectures at med school seem to be a waste of time.

The problem is, barely anyone does get failed. I'm flabbergasted at the amount of wasters who seem to fail, get some 'extenuating circumstances' because the med school is too pussyfooted to put their foot down and get to repeat/resit the year. I know one guy who faked his parents' separation to get extenuating circs/ :confused: Who does that?! Makes a mockery out of those who do have genuine extenuating circumstances. In our group signoff session, one waster hadn't turned up more than say 10 days in 9 weeks, no joke. Got failed, burst into tears and the consultant signed her off!! What the hell did I spend my time in hospital for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by digitalis
I HATE that. Or getting your mate to sign you in. It makes my blood boil. Just turns the whole process into a farce.

I wouldn't like lectures to be compulsory though, people have different learning styles and unfortunately a lot of lectures at med school seem to be a waste of time.

The problem is, barely anyone does get failed. I'm flabbergasted at the amount of wasters who seem to fail, get some 'extenuating circumstances' because the med school is too pussyfooted to put their foot down and get to repeat/resit the year. I know one guy who faked his parents' separation to get extenuating circs/ :confused: Who does that?! Makes a mockery out of those who do have genuine extenuating circumstances. In our group signoff session, one waster hadn't turned up more than say 10 days in 9 weeks, no joke. Got failed, burst into tears and the consultant signed her off!! What the hell did I spend my time in hospital for?

I always find it amusing to flick back through the sign-in sheets. Some people would appear to have different signatures for every day of the week :tongue:
Reply 9473
Original post by Beska

Our lectures are already compulsory :frown: This is thanks to our current 4th years when less than 25% of the year decided to show up for a friday afternoon lecture iirc. =/
Original post by Beska

I'd hate that.

I don't attend every single lecture, if a lecture is on anatomy I won't go since I can't learn anatomy by someone showing 80 slides and talking about them. Might as well go through those lectures in my own time as I would only fall asleep in the lecture.
I can see why people might want to make every lecture compulsory, however as already mentioned people would turn up to sleep or to chat with their mates and it would only distract people.

That said, if you fail exams and haven't turned up to a single lecture then you deserve to be kicked out tbh. Think BL could get an idea of attendance using the TurningPoint system, but that's rarely used since FunMed finished..

Original post by Vulpes
Our lectures are already compulsory :frown: This is thanks to our current 4th years when less than 25% of the year decided to show up for a friday afternoon lecture iirc. =/

LADS
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
That said, if you fail exams and haven't turned up to a single lecture then you deserve to be kicked out tbh. Think BL could get an idea of attendance using the TurningPoint system, but that's rarely used since FunMed finished..

I think UEA is/wants to do it so that if your attendance is below a certain point you lose your right to a re-sit of the exam. Everyone's kicking up a fuss about it though. Don't see why :p:
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I think UEA is/wants to do it so that if your attendance is below a certain point you lose your right to a re-sit of the exam. Everyone's kicking up a fuss about it though. Don't see why :p:

Probably because the people that fall in the category that won't be allowed to resit are the ones that wouldn't reach a certain attendance percentage..
Original post by Beska

It's ridiculous.

(1) If the lectures aren't worth going to then the school needs to sort the problem out, not force students to go to them.
(2) Non-compulsory lectures don't result in nobody going. There'll always be an audience (though it might be small at times).

I actually don't like the concept of registration to monitor attendance at all. We pay tuition fees; students need to get a more consumer-based mentality I think. If someone who's paying for their education doesn't deem a session worth going to, then they should have the right not to attend (though I think the medical school should have the right to use that information should a student fail). I think regular formatives would be a better solution in terms of identifying those who're struggling, which is the excuse my school uses for registering people.
Original post by digitalis

To better than her? Seems pretty straight forward.
Original post by Kinkerz
If someone who's paying for their education doesn't deem a session worth going to, then they should have the right not to attend (though I think the medical school should have the right to use that information should a student fail). I think regular formatives would be a better solution in terms of identifying those who're struggling, which is the excuse my school uses for registering people.

The 'someone' who is paying the bulk of your education (i.e. the Government) determines what they want you to go to: in this case, a minimum of 5500 hours worth of full time education to register as a medical practitioner.

Latest

Trending

Trending