The Student Room Group

Driving alone as a new driver ??

After passing your test were you really nervous/inconfident about driving on your own without friend/relative sat with you? How did you handle this? Or were you confident about driving alone in the car?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I passed my test last friday. have not stopped driving since, its so amazing isnt it, feel really independant!

Im very confident at driving though, so had no worries just getting in the car and driving, I think you just gotta do that! just get out there and drive.

I cant stop going to mcdonalds though, -.-
i was confident... was just glad i could turn the radio up on the station i wanted!
It was a strange feeling - it's an unusual responsiblity. I was very nervous at first and drove consequentially slowly to compensate. I tried to take my time and do everything right. After a while, I suppose I became a bit more reckless and confident - though this was not always good. I found a good medium after a while.

Having spent a while driving alone, I try to drive as if I were in a test situation or as if my instructor were still in the car. It doesn't stop me talking to myself though :wink:

Also this was relevant:

Original post by beckylewis
Reply 4
Original post by beckylewis
I passed my test last friday. have not stopped driving since, its so amazing isnt it, feel really independant!

Im very confident at driving though, so had no worries just getting in the car and driving, I think you just gotta do that! just get out there and drive.

I think i passed prematurely lol Im driving ok yet am still not confident.
Reply 5
This is the thread for me!
I passed on Tuesday, don't have a car yet but hopefully getting one in the next couple of weeks.

I'm on my dad's insurance though so am apparently I'm taking his car out for a spin this weekend- a little bit terrified as I'm not sure how long it will take to get used to his car.

So chuffed that I'll finally have my own baby and freedom, easter holidays are going to be awesome!
Reply 6
It was a strange feeling but you soon get used to it, I love driving on my own, I feel calmer, if my mum is in the car I seem to be more prone to mistakes, but that's probably because she watches me closely and makes me feel more nervous. But your car soon replaces your shower as your no holding back singing sessions. :colone: Never feel afraid to belt out a tune with the radio.
Reply 7
I was scared at first. Then I saw empty roads ahead of me and felt like a God speeding down the street. (Within the legal limit of course.) It's nerve racking when you see lots of other cars as you feel more pressure.

Just turn up the radio so you can't hear the revs and roll down your window shouting phrases like: "Hello pretty ladies."

Remember you passes so you're good enough to drive by yourself! Have some belief and you will be fine.
Reply 8
I passed a few weeks ago and yes I was pretty nervous when I first had to drive on my own, but that's never going to go away until you start driving on your own, even if you just drive up the road and back, just do anything to start building your confidnce up, good luck :smile:
Reply 9
It helps to be confident. Go out the first few times with relatives and then you'll be fine :smile:
I did get lost a lot, but still enjoyed driving alone from the very beginning. Scary, but too exciting not to do
(edited 12 years ago)
I think those that pass first time are bound to be worse, less confident and therefore suffer more with nerves. Just get out there and go for it-get on the motorway ASAP too, although not on your own straight away, go with an experienced driver first!
Reply 12
Having a calm experienced driver in the back seat can be useful for those that are nervous - let them read a newspaper etc while you drive - ask them something only as a last resort
Original post by ROG.
Having a calm experienced driver in the back seat can be useful for those that are nervous - let them read a newspaper etc while you drive - ask them something only as a last resort

I did this after I passed, it was very helpful. I asked my mum to sit in the back but read a newspaper so she wouldn't bug me. I was very unconfident while I was learning but now I love driving. :smile: (definitely agree with the singing, anyone who sits in my car has to tolerate my ipod :p:)

I picked up quite a few bad habits at the start but it's balanced out quite a bit. I do have a terrible habit of yelling at other people's bad driving though. :unsure: They can't hear me though.
Original post by KJane
It was a strange feeling but you soon get used to it, I love driving on my own, I feel calmer, if my mum is in the car I seem to be more prone to mistakes, but that's probably because she watches me closely and makes me feel more nervous. But your car soon replaces your shower as your no holding back singing sessions. :colone: Never feel afraid to belt out a tune with the radio.

ahahah totally the singing thing... but you do get some odd looks when you're doing it stopped at traffic lights. i'm glad i'm not the only one because i've never seen another driver doing it, they all look miserable.
Reply 15
Original post by ROG.

Ive had one several times but im talking about driving with only you in the car.
I hated and still do hate it when my Dad's in the car, as I feel more pressured, whereas on my own, I feel great! I remember the first time I went out for a drive on my own, it felt amazing. I put on a good CD, and drove around areas that I knew, only for half hour or so to get used to the car (I have a petrol but learned in a diesal) and I felt like a proper adult lol.
I passed 4months ago and just got a car. I'm not confident after having a break and I'm having to get used to a new car. The first time I went totally on my own (only round the block) someone almost drove into me (I was turning out of a corner, they were going too fast and when I looked it was clear - there was no way I could have seen them with the cars around me).
Reply 18
From my experience, do it as quickly as you can, first time go when the roads will be quiet(er)!

I didn't get a car for a while, and I was so nervous. First time into a busy area I felt so scared. First time on my own was actually in a vehicle I'd never driven before, and a Land Rover Defender isn't really the easiest machine to drive. Turning circle of a 13 carriage train, and serious viewing problems!

If you are really nervous, either get P plates, or leave the L plates on. Makes the cars more aware of you and a little bit more cautious. First time I went into a busy area I cracked out the L plates again, and it's amazing how differently other drivers react to you
i passed on february 29th. didnt go out that day but went the day after, was a little hesitant at first but now i love it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending