The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
I'm wanting to get an en-suite room, there a bit pricey but I guess thats what grants are for, but I've also got £400 saved up for rent. Just trying to pick which college, I want something a bit quiet but also which has a good social atmosphere. Also a question if anyone knows, whats the transport into York City Center like? as I'll be studying Archaeology, and its right in the center of York lol, is there like a shuttle bus or bus stop, also will be handy if I get a part time job.

P.S Oh yea, I have an conditional offer, not because of exam results but because they want to see my BTEC Certificate, how will they want to see it, for me to brig it in?

Thanx
Raradir
(edited 12 years ago)
University of York
York
Reply 1581
Original post by Raradir
I'm wanting to get an en-suite room, there a bit pricey but I guess thats what grants are for, but I've also got £400 saved up for rent. Just trying to pick which college, I want something a bit quiet but also which has a good social atmosphere. Also a question if anyone knows, whats the transport into York City Center like? as I'll be studying Archaeology, and its right in the center of York lol, is there like a shuttle bus or bus stop, also will be handy if I get a part time job.

Getting to town's easy enough from anywhere on campus- it's either a twenty minute walk (at most), or about £1.50 to get the 4 or 44 buses.
It's really not all that far.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time in King's Manor, I'd suggest procuring a bicycle. York's as cycle-friendly a city as they come, and you'll find it genuinely invaluable.

College-wise? Derwent, James, Vanbrugh- the three "old" campus colleges left on Campus West that come recommended. Alcuin's luxurious yet unsociable, Halifax is a bit of an unpleasant trek away, and Goodricke/Langwith are on Heslington East- adding an extra 15 minute walk onto your trek to town. You don't want to be on Hes East if you're doing Archaeology, honestly.

If in doubt, plump for Derwent. Perhaps a bit preppy at times, but it's difficult to go wrong with it beyond that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1582
Original post by AirRaven
Getting to town's easy enough from anywhere on campus- it's either a twenty minute walk (at most), or about £1.50 to get the 4 or 44 buses.
It's really not all that far.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time in King's Manor, I'd suggest procuring a bicycle. York's as cycle-friendly a city as they come, and you'll find it genuinely invaluable.

College-wise? Derwent, James, Vanbrugh- the three "old" campus colleges left on Campus West that come recommended. Alcuin's luxurious yet unsociable, Halifax is a bit of an unpleasant trek away, and Goodricke/Langwith are on Heslington East- adding an extra 15 minute walk onto your trek to town. You don't want to be on Hes East if you're doing Archaeology, honestly.

If in doubt, plump for Derwent. Perhaps a bit preppy at times, but it's difficult to go wrong with it beyond that.

Thanks, I might invest in a bike, I'll either be looking at Alcuin or Derwent then.
This may seem like a stupid query -
I've read in a few of the colleges FAQs that fairy lights aren't allowed in study rooms due to a fire hazard :frown: I was just wondering if this applies to all colleges and if anyone actually checks? I really love my fairy lights :frown:
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1584
Original post by DeelyBopper
I've read in a few of the colleges FAQs that fairy lights aren't allowed in study rooms due to a fire hazard :frown: I was just wondering if this applies to all colleges and if anyone actually checks? I really love my fairy lights :frown:

I can't see how they could be a fire hazzard compared to any other electronic device, could you provide me a link to the FAQs as I can't seem to find them lol
Reply 1585
Original post by DeelyBopper

I'm pretty sure it does apply to all colleges, but checks are infrequent - I've only had two all year, but one was unannounced (I don't know what they do if they catch you with them, they might confiscate them/fine you, but I've not heard of it happening to anyone).

Original post by Raradir
I can't see how they could be a fire hazzard compared to any other electronic device, could you provide me a link to the FAQs as I can't seem to find them lol

For Vanbrugh it says here, under 'what should I not bring with me', though I think it's a university-wide thing.
Reply 1586
Says your not allowed a fridge in your room, I was gonna bring one of those mini fridges to put bottles of water in, as when I come in from a night out all I want to do in the middle of the night is to walk to the kitchen to get some cold water lol
Reply 1587
Just pointing out- Fairfax House is being entirely refurbished this year.

The number of rooms is being raised to 80-odd, all ensuite, and it's being changed from Vanbrugh to Wentworth graduate accommodation.

Tremendous shame.
Campus' Vanbrugh accommodation is still absolutely sterling, nonetheless.
Original post by Vekeh
I suggest you read this.

But yes, unconditionals choose first, and no, you don't rank them.

This sounds like a horrible system! which colleges are usually left for the later people to get? Is there usually a choice of self catered/catered,as I really don't want somewhere catered!
Reply 1589
Original post by JessicaacisseJ
This sounds like a horrible system! which colleges are usually left for the later people to get? Is there usually a choice of self catered/catered,as I really don't want somewhere catered!

99% of people who live in Halifax only live there as it was the last option available. Judging from last year, catered rooms, rooms with the longest lets (41/51 weeks), Vanbrugh Wentworth E block and the rundown James rooms (Band 2C, I think) go last. Last year I think they had too many people and not enough rooms, so the very last people didn't get a choice and just got stuck with whatever the university gave them (central allocation) - one of my friend's ended up in Derwent family accomm.

If worst comes to worst you can always ask to transfer rooms (I don't know how successful transfers are, but we've had two people move out so it's not impossible).
Original post by Vekeh
99% of people who live in Halifax only live there as it was the last option available. Judging from last year, catered rooms, rooms with the longest lets (41/51 weeks), Vanbrugh Wentworth E block and the rundown James rooms (Band 2C, I think) go last. Last year I think they had too many people and not enough rooms, so the very last people didn't get a choice and just got stuck with whatever the university gave them (central allocation) - one of my friend's ended up in Derwent family accomm.

If worst comes to worst you can always ask to transfer rooms (I don't know how successful transfers are, but we've had two people move out so it's not impossible).

This! I had the choice between Halifax self catered or a twin somewhere, or catered James... I think I picked the best out of those, but I'm not really that happy here.
Reply 1591
Original post by AirRaven
Just pointing out- Fairfax House is being entirely refurbished this year.

The number of rooms is being raised to 80-odd, all ensuite, and it's being changed from Vanbrugh to Wentworth graduate accommodation.

Tremendous shame.
Campus' Vanbrugh accommodation is still absolutely sterling, nonetheless.

We're losing Fairfax House to ****ing Wentworth?!1 :unimpressed:

:colonhash:
Reply 1592
Original post by mhsc
We're losing Fairfax House to ****ing Wentworth?!1 :unimpressed:

:colonhash:

Tell me about it.

Probably the best accommodation available, anywhere. Tremendous shame it's going.
Reply 1593
At the open day I went too on Wednesday, a few of the 3rd year students were telling us that each college is differen't like one is mainly Arts another Music, I was just wondering if one is more history and archaeology, if all that makes sense lol
Reply 1594
Just another quick question, is there any type of help towards paying rent for Uni accomodation that one can apply for?
Original post by Raradir
Just another quick question, is there any type of help towards paying rent for Uni accomodation that one can apply for?

It depends on household income. I don't know how it will work for the 2012/2013 year but at the moment, there are 2 levels of bursary the university gives you. I think you have to have an income of under £30,000 a year to get the bursary... my friends find it useful, but if you can get into the cheaper accommodation (I'm in a Band 1B room which isn't the prettiest, but it's fine!) you should have plenty of money!

As for your question about History/Archeology, Archeology is taught in town but there are plenty of people who live in Vanbrugh who find that ok ^_^

For History, i'd imagine Vanbrugh is probably best because the department is right above the porters in Vanbrugh :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by snoopyx
does band 3 not have wireless internet? is it wired?

Band 3 Alcuin doesn't have wireless internet but the internet is really fast, 99% of the time reliable and the ethernet cables are long enough that you can use your laptop at the desk, in bed, or on the floor across the room if you so wish! It really isn't an issue at all.
Reply 1597
Do students have to study or have some kind of homework during the holidays? How many times a year do students have to take examinations?
Reply 1598
Original post by Nerdy03
Do students have to study or have some kind of homework during the holidays? How many times a year do students have to take examinations?

Depends on your course. For instance I know people in Philosophy who had to do essays through the holidays most of the time.

Some courses give you exams at the beginning of a term, others give you them at the end. What are you applying for? Someone here will probably know how things work on your course more or less.
Reply 1599
Original post by mhsc
Depends on your course. For instance I know people in Philosophy who had to do essays through the holidays most of the time.

Some courses give you exams at the beginning of a term, others give you them at the end. What are you applying for? Someone here will probably know how things work on your course more or less.

Okay thank you :smile:. I've got an offer for PPE. Which exams count however? Only the ones in june?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending