The Student Room Group
Original post by Kinkerz
And when they do most of the questions are structured in such a way that makes giving negative feedback (i.e., the only important feedback, as that's where improvements can be made) difficult.

the only feedback i've given this year has been in wrap up sessions where you're hardly going to slag the consultants off.

also i filled in a form for a registrar who did some decent teaching the other day but that wasn't through med school, just for him personally for his portfolio.
Original post by clarusblue
One thing that really pisses me off is the thought that the same consultants who say "I'm busy, don't interrupt me. Sit in the corner, I'm not teaching you" will most probably be taking credit for teaching in their appraisals etc

Yeah, since it is in their contract to teach and is part of Duties of a Doctor. Totally bogus.
Reply 9502
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Lectures should be relevant, appropriate and interesting. That would make people go.

Some lectures are useless and it pisses me off when people think you should attend everything irrespective of what it actually is.

I'm not in it for a 100 % attendance and a pat on the head: I want a high quality education and would like to be respected as an adult rather than as a school pupil.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

This x100. This is why the letter in the BMA news pissed me off.
Reply 9503
Original post by ThisLittlePiggy
Lectures should be relevant, appropriate and interesting. That would make people go.

+1, someone needs to tell our lecturers that those 3 things are not mutually exclusive.
Reply 9504
Get results in the morning. I feel sick :frown:
Reply 9505
And here I am wondering if I should attend my 9am lecture tomorrow on Routine Data and Qualitative Research :yy:
Asked a third year where his house officer was the other day: met with a blank look. Then pointed out his 'ST1'.

Methinks they should include a crash course lecture into merging 'old system' and 'new system' naming at the start of clinical years!!
Original post by Beska
Anybody read the letter in the BMA News from a Peninsula student arguing that all lectures should be made compulsory so that people attend because otherwise "nobody goes." What do you think? It's irked me off a wee bit...

I agree with you, but I think that article is probably in response to ridiculously low attendance here, particularly in the clinical years. I think this is partly because they spend years 1 and 2 encouraging us to be 'independent learners' with only a few compulsory sessions, and then in the clinical years add in a lot of teaching, which no one finds useful. We regularly have only 2 or 3 people show up for lectures/tutorials etc, and the providers are getting very upset about it. Understandably they don't want to spend hours preparing for a lecture when only 2 people will show up. I'm not really sure what the solution to this is. I don't want lectures to be compulsory, but I can understand why it is something people are considering.
Original post by digitalis
Asked a third year where his house officer was the other day: met with a blank look. Then pointed out his 'ST1'.

Methinks they should include a crash course lecture into merging 'old system' and 'new system' naming at the start of clinical years!!

You wouldn't believe the number of times I've had to explain what an ST/CT is to my colleagues. Thought that was pretty standard knowledge but appearently not.
that example i gave was of a friend's consultant.

the feedback system doesn't really work in our med school tbh, they only ask for feedback after they've done some decent teaching with you.

the guy who told my friend and his partner to sit in a corner and not bother him also told them that if they're not happy, "not to whinge to med school about him" as the last groups did and he's pissed off by it. they will complain if they have reason to but no chance will anything change.

Same, we can only give feedback once the block is over but there is hope it may change things for the next students.

That consultant doesn't sound pleasant at all! Why would he offer teaching for the medical school if he didn't want to teach :s-smilie: can they complain to a module leader/co-ordinator to at least change consultants? Our clinical blocks have module co-ordinators who we can talk to if we're having issues.

Could they find another consultant?
Just started some practice SAQs and saw this beauty of a "question":

"Know how to confirm the diagnosis and principles of treatment of inflammatory
bowel disease."

Who writes this ****? I want to meet the person who genuinely thought this was an adequate question for a university assessment. Mostly so I can smack him in the face with something blunt that I'd wear on my feet.
Original post by Lantana
You know, looking for unique shoes isn't that productive in a crowd this big :frown:

The purple hairband worked though! Was good to meet you last night :biggrin:
Original post by xconfetti

Hey take it you both enjoyed metroline then?
It was awesome.
Original post by fairy spangles
It was awesome.

It was so, so good! We were talking about you and realised neither of us knew what you looked like! :frown: Maybe some other time!

Glad you had a good time too! :biggrin:

It did. I think next time I should bring a stuffed animal though :yep: This morning wasn't too bad either. Hexham is lovely and shiny!

Original post by fairy spangles
It was awesome.

:yes: Apart from being freezing due to the wind. I ended up tagging along with some 5th years in green checked shirts for a while. Did you see either of us then and not come up or completly miss us both?

It was so, so good! We were talking about you and realised neither of us knew what you looked like! :frown: Maybe some other time!

Glad you had a good time too! :biggrin:

I think she was the ninja in the corner...
Just seen this on twitter, really tickled me:

[video="youtube;zvWzm7ICzhw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvWzm7ICzhw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9516
Just working on my project conclusion at the minute:

"Therefore, the number of ****s given is inversely proportional to the length of time spent in ibsc."
(edited 12 years ago)
Just seen this on twitter, really tickled me:

[video="youtube;zvWzm7ICzhw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvWzm7ICzhw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

This seemsto do the rounds once a year.

I loved listening to it in first year clinics revision haha
Original post by Woody.
Hello! Been a while, was just wondering, which iBSc did you do? I have immunology and primary health as my choices but I can't decide which one to put first. Does having a clinical one help with ST applications? Does having a more 'scientific' one make you 'look better'? Any help appreciated (from anyone!)

Hi, I did neuroscience - or rather am doing.

I did it for interest, and organised a lab project in the Prion unit down at Queen Sq - awesome unit, very interesting research, and I love prions. I would say consider whether doing something different - like anthropology or law or philosophy is up your street, generally anything other than medicine - becasuse it is the last funded opportunity to branch out. Retrospectively, it might have been nice to do that.

Studying science at the third year level is like wading through treacle. There is lots to read, and the lab project can turn into almost a full time job. Which ontop of doing a third year, yes alot of work. granted, I think I chose more units than alot of my friends. In terms of whether it makes you look better? I don't know. I don't care at this stage. Very difficult to say, an intercalated degree is 1 point in 100, and most people don't have one and do absolutly fine with a years' less debt - this is not trivial.

Be very careful when you choose projects - ask the supervisors exactly what it is you will be doing, and how much teaching in techniques and transferable skills you will gain. What is the nature of the data? Is it for example counting cells? Is it statistical analysis, or is it something like GFP which you can see? This makes a massive difference to your dissertation, because you need to convince other people that your data is useful and valid - if you can point to glowing pictures, it helps. You need to consider whether the project is doable with your skillset and within budget. If you do human studies ?ethical approval? Will you have to write the protocols? If you do animal studies, do you need a personal liscence? (in almost all cases, yes). How much time is this going to take up? You need to avoid mission creep - lab can and does take over your life. Cells do not have empathy for your sanity or social calender. You need to think about keeping up with your other courses. It is much easier if you tag along to a college lab - I had to go through security checks, references, all sorts before I could start, which wiped a month off project time - 25% of the allotted time resource was therefore wasted.

Lab projects go through 3 rapid phases from my experience

1) - I don't know wtf is going on, I have no idea what I'm doing
2) - Ok, I'm doing it right, **** all data. Data not significant.
3) - Aha! Yes! something interesting, but I now don't have the time to persue it, project dissertation deadline was yesterday. ****. Have to write up whatever I can cobble together.

Stage 1 and 2 takes up 90% of the time.

Therefore, when you look at projects, you need to assess what are the chances of success. Are they sending me on a wild goose chase after some molecule/gene/product about which they know nothing? Or, has some preliminary data shown that this might be worth following up? Generally, you will be doing donkey work - but in that case, you may ll lay the ground for something that might get published so you can potentially tag along or farm an abstract out of it rather than - as in many cases of wild goose chasing, write up a negative result - which is hugely demotivating. Understand how your part of the project fits into the whole picture of how experiments in the field progress - Are you doing things the right way around? Do you understand the basis of what you are doing?

Does your supervisor have the resources to fund you? If you're doing anything with genetics - antibodies are very expensive, materials are expensive. They need to be prepared to teach someone who ?Probably has never worked in a lab before - I told my supervisor that I have never touched a pippet, they need to understand how much looking after you need, and be willing and able to provide it - otherwise the project will be a disaster because you will flounder/screw up all your samples.

Hope that helps :smile:
Sweet mother ****ed I'm pretty sure I bombed that exam today (neuro + HD). I can't even be bothered to get drunk either 'cause I'm nackered. My girlfriends over and I just want to stay in bed all night.

I've already organised a costume with flatamtes though so I'm going to be forced out. Ugh.

Latest

Trending

Trending