The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fairly pleased overall apart from an unreasonable disappointment with my English result...

Spanish Reading- 60/60 A*
Spanish Listening- 54/60 A*
Physics Unit 1 retake 98/100 A*

English Literature Unit 1- 98/120- A.
Really wanted an A*, and thought I'd done better than that as I want to do A Level English :/
Reassuring in a sadistic sort of way that nobody got higher than me though, my English teacher is genuinely really confused and is in talks with Edexcel about the marking. If the worst comes to the worst then I'll just have to re-sit in May...

What revision methods did you use to achieve to gain an A* in LISTENING and READING in spanish and also what did you revise, also well done!
Reply 1061
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Woo!

So happy! Also got my English controlled assessment results:
Creative texts: 30/30 A*
Extended reading: 30/30 A*
Spoken language: 19/20 A*
Literature literary heritage: 40/40 A*

Original post by Paramore<3

Got full marks in my poetry exam. :woo:

Which exam board do you do and what revision/practise did you do to get such good marks? I really struggle with english :\
Original post by science-oliver
What revision methods did you use to achieve to gain an A* in LISTENING and READING in spanish and also what did you revise, also well done!

Honestly mate, start as early as possible and try and learn a little bit of new vocab each day, the more words you know the meaning of the more likely you'll be able to work things out!
Reading is generally easier as you have time to sit and think, whereas Listening is fairly instant, however if you do lots of Listening past papers (as long, tedious and boring as they are) you'll start to get used to them.

I'm so surprised about my results though, I genuinely came out of the exams expecting to scrape B's
Original post by thisisjokes
Honestly mate, start as early as possible and try and learn a little bit of new vocab each day, the more words you know the meaning of the more likely you'll be able to work things out!
Reading is generally easier as you have time to sit and think, whereas Listening is fairly instant, however if you do lots of Listening past papers (as long, tedious and boring as they are) you'll start to get used to them.

I'm so surprised about my results though, I genuinely came out of the exams expecting to scrape B's

Is now early?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
Is now early?

Nah, now's a good time I'd say. It'll help in the long run too as you won't have to learn tons and tons of vocab whilst balancing all of your other subjects.

Do you do Spanish or a different language? :smile:
Original post by thisisjokes
Nah, now's a good time I'd say. It'll help in the long run too as you won't have to learn tons and tons of vocab whilst balancing all of your other subjects.

Do you do Spanish or a different language? :smile:

Just French, I done like it :smile:
Just French, I done like it

OMG i do french aswell :biggrin:
How have you done in your speaking and writing assesments.
And how about we learn vocab ogether by testing eachother words, that way it will make it fun (e.g "what is quelquefois in english?") perhaps? haha
OMG i do french aswell :biggrin:
How have you done in your speaking and writing assesments.
And how about we learn vocab ogether by testing eachother words, that way it will make it fun (e.g "what is quelquefois in english?") perhaps? haha

Well French is my weakest subject, so I'm aiming for about a B, yeah thats pretty bad for TSR standards :tongue:, you?

Yeah OK, good idea because I'm doing higher reading for French. I'll start off:
Bâtiment =
Vieux =
Chaque =
Paie =
Cherche =
Reply 1068
Original post by Caz.123
Which exam board do you do and what revision/practise did you do to get such good marks? I really struggle with english :\

I'm on Edexcel. I think English revision varies hugely from person to person (more so than in other subjects in my experience) but if you see my anthology, it's battered and bruised. I really did just read the poems over and over, tried to annotate nearly every word or line. Then usually I'd copy up the notes for each poem onto individual study cards and flick through them when I had a spare moment. Hope this can help. :colondollar:

I know this wasn't aimed at me..
But practice past papers are always the best way.
I've got loads of them (if this is AQA we are talking about)
Well French is my weakest subject, so I'm aiming for about a B, yeah thats pretty bad for TSR standards , you?

Bâtiment =
Vieux =
Chaque =
Paie =
Cherche =

ahhh my teacher wants me to get an A* :P (very doubtful)
Baitment= dunno :L
vieux= Old
chaque=every
Paie= dunno :L
cherche= money?

could you tell me the answers to the ones i dont know :smile:

oh and sorry for the late reply
Well French is my weakest subject, so I'm aiming for about a B, yeah thats pretty bad for TSR standards , you?

monter (verb) =
portable=
La meteo=
boite=
emballage=

dont be embarrased if we both get things wrong :biggrin: because the main thing is practice :biggrin:
ahhh my teacher wants me to get an A* :P (very doubtful)
Baitment= dunno :L
vieux= Old
chaque=every
Paie= dunno :L
cherche= money?

could you tell me the answers to the ones i dont know :smile:

oh and sorry for the late reply

Batiment= building
paie = payroll
cherche = seeks to, or tries to
Reply 1073
monter (verb) =
portable=
La meteo=
boite=
emballage=

dont be embarrased if we both get things wrong :biggrin: because the main thing is practice :biggrin:

monter= to climb
portable= portable
la meteo= the weather
boite= box
emballage= packing
Reply 1074
Original post by ak2109
monter= to climb
portable= portable
la meteo= the weather
boite= box
emballage= packing

also however, monter can be used in different situations...i.e monter un cheval which means to ride a horse basically
Hai peeps I'm in Y11 doing IGCSEs/GCSEs this summer :h:

I have three/four exams on one day though! :eek:
Reply 1076
Original post by Paramore<3
I'm on Edexcel. I think English revision varies hugely from person to person (more so than in other subjects in my experience) but if you see my anthology, it's battered and bruised. I really did just read the poems over and over, tried to annotate nearly every word or line. Then usually I'd copy up the notes for each poem onto individual study cards and flick through them when I had a spare moment. Hope this can help. :colondollar:

what section of the anthology did you do?
sorry couldn't put the accent on the i as i was thinking of night club for boite?

can you give me 10 ak2109 and i'll give you 10 in return?
monter (verb) = to climb
portable=Mobile phone
La meteo = the previous guy said weather
boite= box
emballage= packaging

See quoted
Reply 1079
Is anyone here doing IGCSE Cambridge English Lang and Lit? Does anyone have any tips for English Lit? Thanks :smile:

Latest