The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by queentamora
Hi, I'm new to the forum and in Year 11. I created this account specifically to ask about this thread.

I was planning on:

English Lit HL
Psychology HL
History/Art HL

Spanish Ab Initio SL
Maths/Maths Studies SL
Biology SL

I want to do law or possibly psychology, I'm not sure yet. I do however have a lot of questions.

I don't want to do anything Maths based, definitely. I really dislike Maths and I'm not good at it. I've always been a literature person. So I was wondering, exactly how bad would it be to take Maths Studies? As far as my GCSEs are looking, I may be forced into taking it, or taking SL and dropping if I can't cope. But if Maths Studies is something that's going to ruin my chances for a good uni, I will force myself into continuing SL. However, I don't really want to go through two years of extra torture (as I don't want to do IB in the first place) with more Maths than I can handle while maintaining some form of sanity.

Secondly, I was wondering how difficult History is at HL. I'm not bad at History GCSE and I could probably cope - I actually wanted to take Geography, but that's in the same option block as Psychology, which I really really want to take. If History HL is very difficult, in your opinions, would it be alright to take Art HL? Our IB coordinator is always saying that the IB was designed for an arts course to be taken, but I will definitely not be taking an arts centred course at uni, so would taking Art HL instead of another essay-based subject therefore be detrimental to my progress?

Lastly, I never want to take French ever again once I'm done with GCSEs so I'm taking Spanish Ab Initio. I will probably do quite well in it as I'm fluent in a Spanish colonial language. But I wanted to ask if unis will look at Spanish Ab as far weaker than French B, particularly if I end up taking Maths Studies as well.

Thanks!

For what you'd like to study at uni, I'd say it's heaps better to get 6 or a 7 in studies rather than 4 or 5 in standard level. Adds to your overall points out of 45, and you will have more time to focus on your time consuming subjects. Math studies in your case might be more beneficial.
For your arts vs history dilemma, both at higher level are time-consuming and difficult. Make sure when you pick your 6th subject, choose a class which you love (or at least, prefer out of all other options) because if your going to work hard at a IB class for the next two years, it should be one which you enjoy.
For your langauges, I'd say go with Spanish Ab Initio. Taking an ab initio class just means you're learning a new language, and does not look 'soft' to universities. As you've learned French before you'll have an easier time with Spanish ab initio and should score high rather than finding French B a chore and being less than successful at it. Just a question, if you're fluent at a Spanish Colonial Language, does that entitle you to the opportunity of taking Spanish B or even A? (I'd take Spanish at B rather than A if that's the case). If it does, you might find ab initio way too easy for you and should take Spanish B. If you're unsure, ask if you can take a Spanish Placement test at school.

Also, here's a website which may help you with your subject choices:
http://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/uploaded/images/Dover_-_Senior_School_Portal/files/University_Pre-requisites.pdf

Hope it helps!
Reply 881
Hi, I'm new to the forum and in Year 11. I created this account specifically to ask about this thread.

I was planning on:

English Lit HL
Psychology HL
History/Art HL

Spanish Ab Initio SL
Maths/Maths Studies SL
Biology SL

I want to do law or possibly psychology, I'm not sure yet. I do however have a lot of questions.

I don't want to do anything Maths based, definitely. I really dislike Maths and I'm not good at it. I've always been a literature person. So I was wondering, exactly how bad would it be to take Maths Studies? As far as my GCSEs are looking, I may be forced into taking it, or taking SL and dropping if I can't cope. But if Maths Studies is something that's going to ruin my chances for a good uni, I will force myself into continuing SL. However, I don't really want to go through two years of extra torture (as I don't want to do IB in the first place) with more Maths than I can handle while maintaining some form of sanity.

Secondly, I was wondering how difficult History is at HL. I'm not bad at History GCSE and I could probably cope - I actually wanted to take Geography, but that's in the same option block as Psychology, which I really really want to take. If History HL is very difficult, in your opinions, would it be alright to take Art HL? Our IB coordinator is always saying that the IB was designed for an arts course to be taken, but I will definitely not be taking an arts centred course at uni, so would taking Art HL instead of another essay-based subject therefore be detrimental to my progress?

Lastly, I never want to take French ever again once I'm done with GCSEs so I'm taking Spanish Ab Initio. I will probably do quite well in it as I'm fluent in a Spanish colonial language. But I wanted to ask if unis will look at Spanish Ab as far weaker than French B, particularly if I end up taking Maths Studies as well.

Thanks!

For what you'd like to study at uni, I'd say it's heaps better to get 6 or a 7 in studies rather than 4 or 5 in standard level. Adds to your overall points out of 45, and you will have more time to focus on your time consuming subjects. Math studies in your case might be more beneficial.
For your arts vs history dilemma, both at higher level are time-consuming and difficult. Make sure when you pick your 6th subject, choose a class which you love (or at least, prefer out of all other options) because if your going to work hard at a IB class for the next two years, it should be one which you enjoy.
For your langauges, I'd say go with Spanish Ab Initio. Taking an ab initio class just means you're learning a new language, and does not look 'soft' to universities. As you've learned French before you'll have an easier time with Spanish ab initio and should score high rather than finding French B a chore and being less than successful at it. Just a question, if you're fluent at a Spanish Colonial Language, does that entitle you to the opportunity of taking Spanish B or even A? (I'd take Spanish at B rather than A if that's the case). If it does, you might find ab initio way too easy for you and should take Spanish B. If you're unsure, ask if you can take a Spanish Placement test at school.

http://www.uwcsea.edu.sg/uploaded/images/Dover_-_Senior_School_Portal/files/University_Pre-requisites.pdf

Hope it helps!
Reply 882
Original post by SM74
Ok so we had an IB options evening today and I am more confused than ever about the courses that I should take. I want to study medicine and am sure of taking:
English A1 SL
Maths HL
French B
Chemistry HL
Biology HL

However, for english, I just realized that there are two options: English language and literature, and English literature. I am actually stronger at literature than the language - do both for IGCSE - but I think I read in some universities' websites that they need English Language IB if you want to study medicine. Is that true, or could i just take literature and get into a medical school? Also, I do history as IGCSE, and I enjoy the course very much, and my teacher thinks I should definitely take it at IB. However, I am also considering taking psychology IB because first of all, I think i'll be very interested in it, and because it is kind of related to medicine. Do you think History will look better when I apply to universities for medicine or psychology? History can improve my essay writing skills, and sounds like a tougher course....:confused:

For English, I think by 'english language' they mean you should be taking English A, whether it is lang & lit or just lit. And for psychology or history, I've heard there's plenty of essay writing in both subjects. Psychology might be more beneficial, but it's really not vital to getting into Med School, Bio Chem and Maths HL are much more so. I'd say choose out of history or psychology which one you think you'd absolutely love doing in IB. Look at both of the course syllabuses, talk to other people at your school who take either course, and finally talk to both teachers of each course. Take what you love and what you think you'll be able to score high on.
Reply 883
Original post by Bubba123
Recently I was talking to my teacher about the options for maths, I'm in top set maths at my school at the moment and my teacher said I would be able to take maths studies in one year, however the Universities I'm interested in want maximum points.
Would maths studies lessen my chances of getting in than if I were to take standard level maths?
(interested in human rights/law)

If you're in the top set of maths, and you don't wish to study something like engineering or the sciences at uni, than standard or studies are the options to take, although seeing as you are good at maths, I'd recommend standard. Studies is seen as a bit harder than GCSE maths so if you're sure that your uni does not require you to take Standard or Higher, then studies will be a breeze for you. On the other hand, it's probably better to keep options open for uni by taking Standard level and achieving a well earned 6 or 7 rather than taking studies and obtaining an easy 7.
Reply 884
I have had a really hard time to decide which subjects I should choose, and it need to be done this friday, so I am in a hurry. This is what I have chosen for the moment:

Swedish A1 HL
English B HL
History HL
Economics/Psychology HL or SL
Mathematics SL
Biology SL

The only subject I am really sure of is swedish, which is something I really love. But I am very hesitant if I want to study economics or psychology, and if I should take that subject on higher or standard level. The thing is, I have always thought that psycology is an interesting subject, but I haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. The reason why I am considering economics is because it leaves many doors open and it is pretty exciting because I am interested in politics.

What can I study at a good university with the combination including psycology afterwards, and with the one with economics? And is the whole set of subjects a good idea?

I am grateful for advice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi. The subjects I've chosen for IB:

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
Economics HL

Math SL
English Lit SL
Chinese B SL

Recently I've been thinking of changing my subjects. I may pursue medicine in the US, which makes a big difference because they aren't so strict on subject requirements.
However, I really really enjoy Art and am good at it, and I'm scared without it my IB life will be dull and boring! I would swap Biology with Art SL, and then switch English SL to HL. However, I enjoy and am better at Biology than Chemistry, but the reason I wouldn't take it is because Chemistry is a lot more useful. Also, I feel Art SL is the only option I'd take because HL would be too time-consuming. My choices would then be:

Biology/Chemistry HL
Economics HL
English Lit HL

Math SL
Art SL
Chinese B SL

I want to know:
1) I have the grades for either option, so it a wise choice to sacrifice a capable Science just for 'enjoyment' aka Art?
2) Does this hinder my application for US universities, especially if I'm likely going to a science field?
3) Should I remove Biology or Chemistry? This again comes down to enjoyment (I prefer Biology over Chemistry) or practicality (Chemistry is more useful).

Even if I were to take it, I fear Art would be a heavy burden due to the workload, and English HL, the only subject I'd bump to HL, would be demanding. I just don't want to be an IB student that doesn't have an extreme love towards their subjects...and as a result, isn't motivated to work!

Thanks for taking the time to read & please, I'd appreciate any advice you could give! A little lost at the moment! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm having a really hard time deciding on which subject choices I should choose so hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

Currently I plan on doing
English A1 (Literature only) HL
Chinese B HL
History HL

Maths SL
Biology SL
Film HL

I'm 100% certain that I plan on taking law at university and most universities that I have researched have no preferences for subject choices.

My questions

1) Will taking film be perceived as a weak subject? Should I take something more academically challenging instead?
2) Will universities discriminate if I take Chinese Second Language at HL even though I'm Asian and I have previously studied the language for 6 years?
3) Is English A1.1 (Literature) much harder than English A1.2 (Language and literature)? Can someone who has taken either of the english course give me some feedback on what it was like?

Thanks for taking the time to read :smile:
Original post by iamyourmum

I'm 100% certain that I plan on taking law at university and most universities that I have researched have no preferences for subject choices.

1) Will taking film be perceived as a weak subject? Should I take something more academically challenging instead?
2) Will universities discriminate if I take Chinese Second Language at HL even though I'm Asian and I have previously studied the language for 6 years?
3) Is English A1.1 (Literature) much harder than English A1.2 (Language and literature)? Can someone who has taken either of the english course give me some feedback on what it was like?

Thanks for taking the time to read :smile:

1) yes, but what other subject could you consider? It isn't a bad thing taking film.
2) You aren't a native speaker so no. You're just good at the language.
3) It is harder in the sense it's more academic. It's fairly fun at times :yes:
4) Why are you taking 4 HLs?
Original post by lightchocolate
x

Medicine is post graduate in the US. Just letting you know.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
1) yes, but what other subject could you consider? It isn't a bad thing taking film.
2) You aren't a native speaker so no. You're just good at the language.
3) It is harder in the sense it's more academic. It's fairly fun at times :yes:
4) Why are you taking 4 HLs?

Because the only difference between film SL and HL is the length of the film you have to produce for your final project.
Original post by iamyourmum
Because the only difference between film SL and HL is the length of the film you have to produce for your final project.

Ok, have fun :smile:
Original post by Snorlaxn

Hope it helps!

Thanks so much! I've signed up for Spanish Ab and my coordinator says I can move up to B if I find it too easy. I definitely won't be taking A, though. :P
In case you ever see this again, I was wondering what you'd think about Bio HL and Art SL instead of Art HL and Bio SL? I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to take it because I'm doing Double Award Science but I love Bio so I sure as hell am gonna try.
Thanks so much! I've signed up for Spanish Ab and my coordinator says I can move up to B if I find it too easy. I definitely won't be taking A, though. :P
In case you ever see this again, I was wondering what you'd think about Bio HL and Art SL instead of Art HL and Bio SL? I'm not sure if I'd be allowed to take it because I'm doing Double Award Science but I love Bio so I sure as hell am gonna try.

I do Bio HL now having done double award at GCSE (getting two A grades), and I had no problem with moving up at all, I'm currently working at a grade 6 in first year :smile:
Reply 893

Seeing as I absolutely love Biology, I'd say do bio higher. And apparently you do too, so yeah go for it :biggrin:. Bio standard doesn't go into as much depth as Higher, and is also considered a 'soft' class at SL. You seem to have a passion for sciences, so definitely go for higher level Biology and Art SL.
Also, do look at admission requirements ( http://www.ucas.com can help) to make sure that you are on the right track to studying what you wish to study at uni.
Reply 894
Hi everyone!
I am in need of help on which IB courses I should take!
I am a Canadian student in British Colombia and will be taking the diploma programme next school year.
My school offers the following subjects for IB.( Each subject is offered in grade 11 and 12)
Group 1:
English(SL)
English(HL)

Group 2:
French(SL)
Spanish ab initio(SL)

Group 3:
History(SL)
History(HL)
Geography(SL)
Geography(HL)

Group 4:
Biology(SL)
Biology(HL)
Chemistry(SL)
Chemistry(HL)
Physics(SL)

Group 5:
Mathematics(SL)
Mathematics Studies(SL)

Group 6:
My school does not have any group 6 subjects so I have to choose an additional one from group 1-5.

These are the courses I have decided on so far.-English HL, French SL and Math SL.

I plan to study courses related to business such as economics or accounting in university.

1. So I just wanted advice on which courses and level(SL or HL) should I take from group 3 and 4. ( I am not interested in biology very much).

2. Finally, is the workload very intense? If so, should I take a study block for my 8th block or would taking another non-IB course be manageable?

Thank you all for using your time to help me out :smile:
Original post by Snorlaxn
Seeing as I absolutely love Biology, I'd say do bio higher. And apparently you do too, so yeah go for it :biggrin:. Bio standard doesn't go into as much depth as Higher, and is also considered a 'soft' class at SL. You seem to have a passion for sciences, so definitely go for higher level Biology and Art SL.
Also, do look at admission requirements ( http://www.ucas.com can help) to make sure that you are on the right track to studying what you wish to study at uni.

Thanks loads! Not sure which one I wanted to do so I'm doing four highers and dropping one next year. :smile:
Reply 896
Hi,

My sister is picking her IB subjects and I just wanted to learn a bit more about the IB so I can give her some advice.

First, how do the exams work? She told me that you sit all your exams in the 2nd year. I thought this was pretty strange because A-Levels are split into 2 years (with exams in both years). Does this mean you can't resit IB?

Also, if she picks French ab initio instead of German, will she have to disclose the fact that her course was ab initio on forms like UCAS? I'm guessing doing an ab initio subject will affect your university offers and the like.

Thank you!
Original post by KPCN
Hi,

My sister is picking her IB subjects and I just wanted to learn a bit more about the IB so I can give her some advice.

First, how do the exams work? She told me that you sit all your exams in the 2nd year. I thought this was pretty strange because A-Levels are split into 2 years (with exams in both years). Does this mean you can't resit IB?

Also, if she picks French ab initio instead of German, will she have to disclose the fact that her course was ab initio on forms like UCAS? I'm guessing doing an ab initio subject will affect your university offers and the like.

Thank you!

All exams are in the second year. However, you will almost certainly have mocks before then, which are important as they will be the biggest factor behind your predicted grades for UCAS. Also, you do have internal assessment and coursework over the two years, which accounts for 20 to 40 percent of most subjects (and 100% of the core components: Theory of Knowledge, the Extended Essay and Creativity Action Service, with ToK and the EE being assessed and, when combined, accounting for 3 points out of the 45 available on the diploma). It is possible to resit, with exams being offered in November as well as May (for the benefit of students in the Southern Hemisphere as well as those resitting), but this means you have to wait a year longer to go to uni and start your UCAS again, and it is widely alleged that not all institution are as accepting of IB retakes as they are of A Levels modules being retaken. You can retake the whole diploma, or individual subjects to increase your score, but I am not sure about individual papers. You would also likely have to convince the 6th form/college to let you stay on an extra year to do this.

You do have to disclose all your subjects on UCAS, but remember that most people will be applying with at most a language at GCSE level, and the majority will have dropped languages all together at the end of year nine since they were not compulsory for your sister's year group assuming she's year eleven now (age 15/16). So whilst it's obviously not as good as a 'B' language (AS/A level equivalent), it is still above GCSE and should not cause any problems unless she applies for a degree with foreign language content (aside from the obvious, I seem to remember a language module in History at Durham or something random).

Hope she manages to sort everything out, just ask if you have any more questions! :smile:
Reply 898
Original post by CLS94
All exams are in the second year. However, you will almost certainly have mocks before then, which are important as they will be the biggest factor behind your predicted grades for UCAS. Also, you do have internal assessment and coursework over the two years, which accounts for 20 to 40 percent of most subjects (and 100% of the core components: Theory of Knowledge, the Extended Essay and Creativity Action Service, with ToK and the EE being assessed and, when combined, accounting for 3 points out of the 45 available on the diploma). It is possible to resit, with exams being offered in November as well as May (for the benefit of students in the Southern Hemisphere as well as those resitting), but this means you have to wait a year longer to go to uni and start your UCAS again, and it is widely alleged that not all institution are as accepting of IB retakes as they are of A Levels modules being retaken. You can retake the whole diploma, or individual subjects to increase your score, but I am not sure about individual papers. You would also likely have to convince the 6th form/college to let you stay on an extra year to do this.

You do have to disclose all your subjects on UCAS, but remember that most people will be applying with at most a language at GCSE level, and the majority will have dropped languages all together at the end of year nine since they were not compulsory for your sister's year group assuming she's year eleven now (age 15/16). So whilst it's obviously not as good as a 'B' language (AS/A level equivalent), it is still above GCSE and should not cause any problems unless she applies for a degree with foreign language content (aside from the obvious, I seem to remember a language module in History at Durham or something random).

Hope she manages to sort everything out, just ask if you have any more questions! :smile:

Thank you! That was very informative.

I hear so many complaints about IB, I think A levels sound a lot easier.
Original post by KPCN
Thank you! That was very informative.

I hear so many complaints about IB, I think A levels sound a lot easier.

A Levels are generally regarded as an easier option, yes. If I was looking to get into a British University in the easiest manner possible, I'd choose them over the IB. But for me, the IB programme is much more interesting in terms of the work you do; teachers are given more freedom to teach the syllabus as well as they can instead of having exams three times a year to teach to, and the syllabi themselves also seem to contain more interesting topics than A Level. It's also good if you enjoy a wide range of subjects and don't want to drop down to doing only three or four.

Although you will hear a lot of complaints about it, the workload is perfectly manageable on top of a normal social life if you manage your time efficiently, but if you fall behind because of procrastination it is hard to catch up and can turn into a bit of a nightmare.

Latest

Trending

Trending