The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I might not be a Doctor, but I am the Spider Solitaire Queen :flute:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Bless you, it came out months ago here :p: I really enjoyed it as well though. I think a lot of people were put off by the plot not being so explicit, but the issue is that the book itself is very psychological, and while I think they did a good job of conveying that aspect, they didn't always do a good job of conveying the specifics of what was going on.

Haha! :colondollar: Sometimes it's the other way round, I mean I had (the not so amazing film that was) a Dangerous Method in November, and Melz0r had The Artist back then too. It's definitely a high concentration film, and very subtle. It also seemed really well made, the music and the flashbacks and the way they built up character gradually despite having such a huge cast.

Original post by smilepea
Hears CUSU elections mentioned *swoops in*

Hehe, I had a feeling you might :smile: Thank you! I got to the manifestos in the end, didn't see the hustings though. I know I'm outside of the Bubble, but I think the referendum wasn't very well publicised, and I think you're right, there didn't seem to be much variety across the different positions. I'm sure there were faaar more candidates last year... :confused: Having said that, Education and Welfare seemed such strong candidates it isn't so upsetting that there was no competition. :smile: Now just to see what they do this coming year.
Reply 7282
Original post by Athena
When do we get the CUSU results?

They're out I thought? Certainly I saw some in an online version of TCS...
http://www.tcs.cam.ac.uk/download/TCS_Volume13_Lent_Issue8.pdf
Original post by Leipzig
Things in my life that would be better at a different uni:
a) my social life
b) my bank balance
c) my knowledge of pop/youth culture
d) my wardrobe

Things in my life that would be worse at a different uni:
a) my ego
b) my knowledge of chosen subject areas
c) my liver
d) my health

I think for me those lists would be more or less mirrored had I gone to another uni.

Original post by Canned Door
Go to the cinema instead! Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was amazing. A long, good quality film, loads of amazing actors and a plot I think I'd need a second viewing of to fully grasp. Not really an action film, but still so gripping. Anyone else seen it yet? I don't know when it came out in the UK, or if anyone will have had a chance to see it in term time... Definitely recommend it!

I've seen it once but as you say I think I'll need to find time to see it again to fully get it.
Reply 7284
Original post by Canned Door
Hehe, I had a feeling you might :smile: Thank you! I got to the manifestos in the end, didn't see the hustings though. I know I'm outside of the Bubble, but I think the referendum wasn't very well publicised, and I think you're right, there didn't seem to be much variety across the different positions. I'm sure there were faaar more candidates last year... :confused: Having said that, Education and Welfare seemed such strong candidates it isn't so upsetting that there was no competition. :smile: Now just to see what they do this coming year.

Interestingly there were the same number of uncontested positions last year. But that said there were 16 candidates in total last year and only 12 this year.

I've been out of the loop the last few weeks owing to personal circumstances, but I've also heard complaints that the referendum wasn't very well publicised. Also a lot of people simply missed it on the ballot paper, and the question was worded in a confusing manor.

Original post by Athena
When do we get the CUSU results?

A full results breakdown is here
Original post by gethsemane342
Happy birthday!

Leipzig
x
Crazy_emz
x
Craghyrax
x

Thanks guys! I've think I've gotten over birthday moroseness by the usual method: repetitious boozing :tongue:. I kinda felt this year that there wasn't really much point in trying to do anything at all due to the fact of living in a different city (even though I was in Cam for the actual day for supervisions) and not having the same sort of social capital you do when you're in college. Also broke with the cherished tradition of creating an annual overly-elaborate drinking game each year:

Spoiler

Fortunately, I managed to catch Florence+the Machine for the first time the next day with some friends from work, so that cheered me up somewhat :smile:.

BigFudamental
You finished your undergrad at 19!?!? Oh wait, that's the start date.

I actually finished my BA at 20, MPhil at 21 :smile:.
(edited 12 years ago)
alex_hk90
:smile:

Hope you enjoyed formal! :biggrin:
Reply 7287
Just wrote ~2,700 words on some literature I didn't understand *shrug*
Thanks caffeine and secondary literature, I'll call that a wrap...
Original post by Sockpirate
Hope you enjoyed formal! :biggrin:

I did - thanks! :smile: It was nice to see you. :h:
Reply 7289
...and now it seems my predisposition to working late at night fueled by caffeine and loud music has come back to bite me. Now I seem able to work *only* when accompanied by my two comrades-in-arms, time of day notwithstanding...
Original post by Leipzig
...and now it seems my predisposition to working late at night fueled by caffeine and loud music has come back to bite me. Now I seem able to work *only* when accompanied by my two comrades-in-arms, time of day notwithstanding...

This happened to me at one point in Cambridge, I couldn't work without Lucozade and having music/TV on in the background. You just have to go cold turkey. :sadnod:
Reply 7291
Original post by Slumpy
Also-full time work is tiring! Don't do it guys!
Is it wrong that I decided to stalk you on Facebook rather than ask about the job?
Reply 7292
Original post by harr
Is it wrong that I decided to stalk you on Facebook rather than ask about the job?

It's entirely the tactic I would go for. But as ever, I forget your name:p:
(Actually, about 30 seconds stalking found you...)
The only problem is I make something of an issue of trying to not publish too much online!
Reply 7293
Original post by Slumpy
It's entirely the tactic I would go for. But as ever, I forget your name:p:
(Actually, about 30 seconds stalking found you...)
The only problem is I make something of an issue of trying to not publish too much online!
I assume you can't see much? I'm getting too old to keep track of all of Facebook's privacy changes.
Original post by harr
I assume you can't see much? I'm getting too old to keep track of all of Facebook's privacy changes.

Same. I just find myself putting less and less on Facebook so there is less and less still-relevant information.
Reply 7295
Original post by harr

Um, I hadn't actually looked:p:
But, I don't believe so, no.
Reply 7296
Original post by alex_hk90
This happened to me at one point in Cambridge, I couldn't work without Lucozade and having music/TV on in the background. You just have to go cold turkey. :sadnod:

Good to know I'm not going completely screwy then! Sometimes I do wonder... also, given it's week 8, I might as well ride out the storm and reset in ET :redface:
Does anyone know much about working at any of the summer schools that occur over the Summer in Cambridge? Needing ideas for jobs to do over the summer
Reply 7298
Original post by It could be lupus
Does anyone know much about working at any of the summer schools that occur over the Summer in Cambridge? Needing ideas for jobs to do over the summer

I'm applying for two :smile: (The official one and Oxbridge Academics). One of them is supposed to be really sketchy, I forget the name exactly but watch out!
Original post by Leipzig
I'm applying for two :smile: (The official one and Oxbridge Academics). One of them is supposed to be really sketchy, I forget the name exactly but watch out!

Yeah I knew one was sketchy. I have been trying to find out the name, but have failed so far

Latest