The Student Room Group

University Transfer FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by paddy__power
It doesn't apply to you, no, but some universities may apply their own own deadline which could be the same so it is worth asking. If they want to know they will ask you but I would definitely include them anyway if they are good and personally I included all of mine (and module descriptions).

They did say that I should hurry as the deadlines past... Umm I was also thinking of mentioning why I wanted to transfer by using an economic concept to make it more unique, What do you think?
Original post by Jonario
They did say that I should hurry as the deadlines past... Umm I was also thinking of mentioning why I wanted to transfer by using an economic concept to make it more unique, What do you think?

That would be their own deadline so I would listen. You can if you want but if I'm honest I doubt it will make any positive difference. No need to try and be unique, they don't care if you are unique :nope:
Reply 522
I'm 19, at a University I don't like doing a course I don't enjoy and I want to switch both. I understand this is quite a complicated procedure so I'd appreciate any advice. On top of this, I've missed the January dead-line. I'm a Scottish student.

I'm in Computer Science and I'd like to be in a Geography course. They're completely different but I studied Advanced Higher Geography and Higher Geography at School. How possible would it be to the 2nd year of the course after completing the first year of Computer Science? I've e-mailed the department, but haven't heard back yet.

If that isn't possible, I'd (maybe) at least like to start from the 1st year. Problem is, I can't think of a referee for my application. Can I use the same referee from last year? I don't think I'd be able to get a reference from one of my lectures at the current University as I haven't been here long, and I'm not sure they'd give me such a good reference if they knew I was leaving the University after only one year.

Are my chances of getting accepted to a course increased if I have completed 1 year of a different course? I don't know if I get any formal qualifications after completing only one year.

It's depressing to think that I've wasted 2 years of my life studying a subject I don't enjoy. I regret so much.
Original post by f778
I'm 19, at a University I don't like doing a course I don't enjoy and I want to switch both. I understand this is quite a complicated procedure so I'd appreciate any advice. On top of this, I've missed the January dead-line. I'm a Scottish student.

I'm in Computer Science and I'd like to be in a Geography course. They're completely different but I studied Advanced Higher Geography and Higher Geography at School. How possible would it be to the 2nd year of the course after completing the first year of Computer Science? I've e-mailed the department, but haven't heard back yet.

If that isn't possible, I'd (maybe) at least like to start from the 1st year. Problem is, I can't think of a referee for my application. Can I use the same referee from last year? I don't think I'd be able to get a reference from one of my lectures at the current University as I haven't been here long, and I'm not sure they'd give me such a good reference if they knew I was leaving the University after only one year.

Are my chances of getting accepted to a course increased if I have completed 1 year of a different course? I don't know if I get any formal qualifications after completing only one year.

It's depressing to think that I've wasted 2 years of my life studying a subject I don't enjoy. I regret so much.

It seems like you've already contacted the geography department at your current university? It could be that you can do an internal transfer and start the new course next year. If the university does direct entry into second year (and you meet the requirements) then this is also an option. I would contact them again - go in to the department and speak to someone directly then also speak to your director of studies/personal tutor about internal transfers.

If your current uni isn't an option then you need to contact other universities and see whether they would accept an application from you at this stage. Again, you may be able to enter directly into second year which will help with your funding as SAAS will give you the length of your original course plus 1 year, so at the moment you'd probably be liable to pay fees for one of the years of a new course if you started in first year as that would be 6 in total. I'm assuming here you're currently in 2nd year, ignore this if you're a 1st year.

In terms of a reference, your current university will be ideal, yes. It doesn't matter that you haven't been there long, all they need to give is an account of your academic progress in terms of your suitability to university level study. Universities will know that other universities can be pretty rubbish and may not know you very well. I went to Edinburgh and in my 4 years of my degree I had 6 different DoS and when I left, no one knew my name after 4 years. It's normal. All you need to do is apply to UCAS as an independent applicant, its very straight forward. See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1895651 for details.
Reply 524
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my current University doesn't have a Geography course. I'm a first year student.
Reply 525
Original post by f778
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately my current University doesn't have a Geography course. I'm a first year student.
Check out the first post in this thread.

If you really hate the course you are on, then change. It's no good sitting there saying 'if only'.
I just got an email back from NTU asking for an academic reference from my University.
I feel pretty awkward about asking my tutors for one, and as i havent told them i want to leave, but i have less than 2 weeks to get the reference or NTU decline me.
Anyone got any advice on how to approach my tutors on this situation? :frown:
Reply 527
Thank you in advance for any help.
Original post by natalieann1993
I just got an email back from NTU asking for an academic reference from my University.
I feel pretty awkward about asking my tutors for one, and as i havent told them i want to leave, but i have less than 2 weeks to get the reference or NTU decline me.

Tutors are well aware that people transfer universities. Just got and ask...literally nothing bad can come of it.
Original post by beefmaster
Tutors are well aware that people transfer universities. Just got and ask...literally nothing bad can come of it.

Okay thankyou, ill give a shot tomorrow! So nervous about it though, i dont want to annoy them. :redface:
(ive been asking about studying abroad too, so i think it might annoy them a bit if im like..im also considering leaving...)

Okay thankyou, ill give a shot tomorrow! So nervous about it though, i dont want to annoy them. :redface:
(ive been asking about studying abroad too, so i think it might annoy them a bit if im like..im also considering leaving...)

They don't care much if at all that you want to leave. Just ask, or don't ask and don't get the transfer....

Good luck.
Reply 531
Hi all,

I don't know if it's so much a 'uni transfer', but my little bro has applied for MEng and has now decided (I think he's a bit worried after seeing the offers) that he might rather do BEng. He would be starting the first year Sept 2012.

Do any of you lovely people know anything about transferring courses before you've even got your A Level results? Is it a ucas issue or something for the individual university's admissions dept to deal with?

Either way, I'm in the process of strong-arming him (you know how 17 y.o boys can be) into contacting the admissions departments, but would really appreciate some guidance.

Please and thanks

Heather
Reply 532
Original post by 29Rehtaeh
Hi all,

I don't know if it's so much a 'uni transfer', but my little bro has applied for MEng and has now decided (I think he's a bit worried after seeing the offers) that he might rather do BEng. He would be starting the first year Sept 2012.

Do any of you lovely people know anything about transferring courses before you've even got your A Level results? Is it a ucas issue or something for the individual university's admissions dept to deal with?

Either way, I'm in the process of strong-arming him (you know how 17 y.o boys can be) into contacting the admissions departments, but would really appreciate some guidance.

Please and thanks

Heather

You need to look at the uni website, because many unis will let you choose between MEng and BEng once you get there - some as late as first or second year! So he's changed his mind too early, and doesn't need to do anything yet and it would be foolish to do so.
Reply 533

I approached my tutor and she was extremely positive. She didn't even ask why I wanted to transfer until she'd given me my reference. Tutors will be understanding and this probably isn't the first time they've had to deal with something like this. When you do approach though, its probably best to be very clear with your deadline and approach as soon as possible as tutors can be really busy!
Reply 535
Original post by Juno
You need to look at the uni website, because many unis will let you choose between MEng and BEng once you get there - some as late as first or second year! So he's changed his mind too early, and doesn't need to do anything yet and it would be foolish to do so.

I think the problem is that he doesn't think he'll achieve the required grades for the MEng, but that the offer for BEng might be slightly lower?
Original post by BreakStuff
Hi,

I'm currently a second year student, and I'm strongly considering switching university, and retaking my second year at a different university (entering straight into year 2 of the new university).

Does anyone know if I would still be entitled for student finance for the two years at the different university? Even though I'm retaking my second year?

The student finance website doesn't make this very clear. I'm a Full time home (UK) undergraduate student.

Cheers for any help.

Yes, assuming you have no already had to repeat a year. Always worth calling them and making sure though.
Reply 537
When creating a ucas and putting your current institution (which in my case is the University of Kent) do we have to put the modules in the qualification section?
Reply 538
Original post by Jonario
When creating a ucas and putting your current institution (which in my case is the University of Kent) do we have to put the modules in the qualification section?
You can do - and should if you are wanting to persuade another uni to accept a transfer in to Year 2. If you are starting again, it's less important but still relevant.
Reply 539
Original post by Minerva
You can do - and should if you are wanting to persuade another uni to accept a transfer in to Year 2. If you are starting again, it's less important but still relevant.

Do you know what qualification it comes under? Also there are modules that aren't exactly finished but contain high marks so I wish to include them, should I put the main module mark as pending and write up the grades beneath them? What should I do about the percentage each part is worth?

Quick Reply

Latest