The Student Room Group

Aeronautics - which uni is better? Surrey or Southampton?

This poll is closed

Which university is better for aero?

University of SURREY 10%
University of SOUTHAMPTON90%
Total votes: 10
Hi everyone,

Just wondering which uni is better in terms of experience, leisure activites, safety, teaching quality etc.? Give reasons why if you can too :smile:

Thanks!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Surrey or Southampton?....u trolling?

Cant say much on leisure n such, but for reputation it's defo defo defo Southampton. Purely because it has such a strong reputation for engineering. Also, worth considering that Surrey is in the town of Guildford, so it won't be as happening as Southampton.
Reply 2
Original post by 4RealBlud
Surrey or Southampton?....u trolling?

Cant say much on leisure n such, but for reputation it's defo defo defo Southampton. Purely because it has such a strong reputation for engineering. Also, worth considering that Surrey is in the town of Guildford, so it won't be as happening as Southampton.

Oh ok right thats made it more complicated for me lol, its because I saw how Surrey is better by far in terms of prospects and things other than reptation basically on "Whatuni.com":
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-profile/university-of-southampton-job-prospects/5625/job-prospects/15401/26345/2/universityprofile.html
And http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/University-Of-Surrey-ranking/3765/page.html
Reply 3
Original post by Alientrooper
Oh ok right thats made it more complicated for me lol, its because I saw how Surrey is better by far in terms of prospects and things other than reptation basically on "Whatuni.com":
http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-profile/university-of-southampton-job-prospects/5625/job-prospects/15401/26345/2/universityprofile.html
And http://www.whatuni.com/degrees/university-uk/University-Of-Surrey-ranking/3765/page.html

Dude, whatuni is a joke. They have "eye candy" as part of their criteria! :unimpressed:Trust me on this Southampton slams Surrey for engineering. Ask any of your teachers.
Reply 4
Original post by 4RealBlud
Dude, whatuni is a joke. They have "eye candy" as part of their criteria! :unimpressed:Trust me on this Southampton slams Surrey for engineering. Ask any of your teachers.
LOL thats true.
Yeah I will ask my teachers tomorra and see, but the surrey course currently has 1 year in industry whereas southampton doesnt, which might be decisive in the future?

Im just fighting both points lol :smile:
Reply 5
Anyone else?
Reply 6
You would be stupid not to pick Southampton! It deffo has better job prospects. It is one of the best Engineering Unis not only in the Uk but the world as well!
Surrey does not have a strong Engineering department like Southampton.

Forget about tables because they are skewed by stupid things! I can promise you that you will have a better time / job if you go to Soton.
Reply 7
Original post by Ram92
You would be stupid not to pick Southampton! It deffo has better job prospects. It is one of the best Engineering Unis not only in the Uk but the world as well!
Surrey does not have a strong Engineering department like Southampton.

Forget about tables because they are skewed by stupid things! I can promise you that you will have a better time / job if you go to Soton.

But then Surrey does have that year in industry which Soton does not....would it be risky to pick Soton because companies would be more likely to choose those with experience?
Reply 8
Sorry to steal your thread but i really need help! Shall I firm Bristol or Southampton!

Considering either going to

Southampton for 4 years (MEng in Aeronautics and Astronautics)
Bristol for 4 years (MEng is Aeronautical Engineering)
OR.... Going to Bristol for 3 years (getting a BEng in Aeronautical Engineering), then doing a Msc in Race Car Aerodynamics at Southampton.

HELP PLEASE!
Reply 9
Original post by Alientrooper
But then Surrey does have that year in industry which Soton does not....would it be risky to pick Soton because companies would be more likely to choose those with experience?

Get your own internships in the summer.
Original post by tooosh
Get your own internships in the summer.
Aren't they hghly competitive....?
(edited 12 years ago)
Any more opinions?
Thanks for the replies, but now I've chosen to take Surrey. :smile:
Fool of a Took.
Original post by marshymarsh
Fool of a Took.

Other advice Ive had goes for it too, plus I found it personally to be better for a long term job :smile:
Reply 15
Hey, I'm having the same problem now .. I really like surrey, but I have to pick between it and Southampton (also for aerospace).
How is it at surrey? Are u enjoying it and are u regretting not going Southampton?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending