The Student Room Group

How do you get an A* :)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by TenOfThem
Unless your course is CIE which I think is different

Just for everyone's clarification in CIE your raw marks from all the AS and A2 papers need to reach a certain point for the A* to be awarded. It is not possible to get an A* with 90% at A2 and 80% at AS. Generally you need 90% average on both AS and A2...sometimes even that is not enough. For Example - CIE Maths is on 250 Marks ( 4 papers 75+75+50+50 ). If you get less then 230/250 your eliminated from getting the A*.

I have no idea why Cambridge has such different and difficult rules and I think its quite unfair for the people sitting CIE.
(edited 12 years ago)
Maths exception is 90% average of C3 & C4, A overall, the optional unit at A2 (Mechanics/Stats/Decision) is not included in the 90% criteria
Original post by kayleigh.jean
for edexcel maths, A* is 480 UMS (A) with 180 from C3 and C4;
for edexcel further maths, A* is 480 UMS (A) with 270 from the 3 best A2 units

So, what did you think the exception was ... sorry that was the bit that lost me

Is it the fact that for Maths they only state 2/6 exams as being A2?
Reply 23
Original post by sukhys
im in a situation for accounts. (AQA)

AS
unit 1 = 75 ums
unit 2 - 100 ums

A2
unit 3 = 99 ums
unit 4 = not yet done

so for me to get an A* i need to resit unit 1 and get 80 ums or more
and also get 81 ums or more on unit 4

so to sum up i need 320 ums / 400 ums and 180 or more must come from A2 and an A in AS

NO. You need 80% average from the WHOLE A-level. If you get 81UMS in unit 4 then congratulations you have your A*
Original post by sukhys
im in a situation for accounts. (AQA)

AS
unit 1 = 75 ums
unit 2 - 100 ums

A2
unit 3 = 99 ums
unit 4 = not yet done

so for me to get an A* i need to resit unit 1 and get 80 ums or more
and also get 81 ums or more on unit 4

so to sum up i need 320 ums / 400 ums and 180 or more must come from A2 and an A in AS

correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to resit unit 1 to get an A*; with 81 from unit 4 you'd have 355/400 which is well into the A boundary, with 180 of those from units 3 & 4 so you'd have an A* :smile:
So, what did you think the exception was ... sorry that was the bit that lost me

Is it the fact that for Maths they only state 2/6 exams as being A2?

maths and further maths; they're the only two I knew, but it seems that CIE has exceptions too?

I think it's because the two applications for maths can both be AS modules (S1, D1 or M1), so you do end up only doing the C3 and C4 as A2 modules
correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you need to resit unit 1 to get an A*; with 81 from unit 4 you'd have 355/400 which is well into the A boundary, with 180 of those from units 3 & 4 so you'd have an A* :smile:

That is correct
Reply 27
maths and further maths; they're the only two I knew, but it seems that CIE has exceptions too?

I think it's because the two applications for maths can both be AS modules (S1, D1 or M1), so you do end up only doing the C3 and C4 as A2 modules

I quoted the conditions on my last post for CIE incase you were interested.

Yeah, sorry ... I am so used to knowing that C3 and C4 are the only 2 A2 units that I forget that it seems like an exception :smile:
Reply 29
I have 89/100 and 81/100 in my AS modules
what would I need at A2 for an overall A?
does that mean I need at least 75% in each A2 module for an A?
Original post by y-y
I have 89/100 and 81/100 in my AS modules
what would I need at A2 for an overall A?
does that mean I need at least 75% in each A2 module for an A?

you need a total of 180/200 in your A2 papers
Original post by Azland
I quoted the conditions on my last post for CIE incase you were interested.

thanks; I'd never heard of that exam board before this thread :colondollar: but no wonder my school doesn't do any qualifications with CIE; they're quite high conditions to get an A*!
Reply 32
Work hard.
Reply 33
you need a total of 180/200 in your A2 papers

but someone said 320/400 is an A
Reply 34
Is it true that you can't resit any second year modules and still achieve an A*? I'm not in this situation, but I know people that are.
Original post by y-y
but someone said 320/400 is an A

Sorry I thought you were asking about an A*

The requirement for an A is 8-% which is 320 total
Original post by LJ1994
Is it true that you can't resit any second year modules and still achieve an A*?

No
Reply 37
Sorry I thought you were asking about an A*

The requirement for an A is 8-% which is 320 total

oh ok
because I have 170/200 (for AS, in 2 subjects)
So i figured I'd need 150/200 in A2 in order to achieve an A
Original post by y-y
oh ok
because I have 170/200 (for AS, in 2 subjects)
So i figured I'd need 150/200 in A2 in order to achieve an A

That is correct

However ... I would be very wary of thinking like this as it might make you am for 75% rather than aiming for the best you can do
Reply 39
That is correct

However ... I would be very wary of thinking like this as it might make you am for 75% rather than aiming for the best you can do

yeah thanks, was just checking what I need
of course I will be aiming for more just to be on the safe side, cannot risk it, this being the final year
thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest