The Student Room Group

how to get an A* on IGCSE Literature?

I've done well on my coursework, but thats only because I've spent time editing and redrafting. In the exam I have to do 3 40 minute essays.. I just don't know how to do this well and within that time limit! any tips/ suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did IGCSE English lit, missed an A*, got a high A though. I was totally unprepared, though, I didn't even have my texts with me :tongue:

If I remember correctly, it's important to write AT LEAST 3 sides for each essay. Unlike English Language, which is an unseen exam, you're supposed to actually be prepared for it. Waste no time in planning- have your thesis ready, and plunge into the essay. You won't have time to look in the texts for quotes, so remember the most important ones off by heart.

I'm sure you've been taught the structure of essay writing, just follow that, but be careful not to write nice and slow in the beginning and then rush the conclusion! A lot of us ended up doing just that, and regretted it. Remember- 5 minutes for intro, 5 for conclusion, and 30 minutes of intense writing. If you can cover 1 side in 10 mins, you're good. Just keep timing yourself. Practice a few essays before the exam, and time yourself.

Also try and do justice all 3 essays- don't write one excellent one and one mediocre one, because it will bring your overall grade down. Try writing fast, and remember not to waste time on fancy language, as this is counts for the least marks, and is a somewhat negligible criteria. Just get your points across clearly and in appropriate, but not extensive, language.

Oh, and even though you shouldn't worry, I think the pressure helps some people work well. So don't worry about getting too nervous (if that makes any sense).

Good luck :smile:
Would you recommend doing the extract questions? This way you don't need to do as much preparation.

I also haven't heard of writing 3 sides for each exam. I struggle to write more than a side, and everyone in my class writes about the same amount.
Reply 3
sorry i am probably not in the right place but can anyone tell me what the form of a poem is and how to identify it? pls help!!:frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Chris Nicole
Would you recommend doing the extract questions? This way you don't need to do as much preparation.

I also haven't heard of writing 3 sides for each exam. I struggle to write more than a side, and everyone in my class writes about the same amount.

Best do whatever question you're most comfortable with, and feel you can answer better.

You should write 3 sides, ideally. I don't know how you can cover everything the question asks in just 1 side, unless your handwriting's tiny. Everyone in my English class who wrote 3+ sides got an A/A*, and this one girl who wrote 5 sides for each answer got a high A* (96%).

Obviously, though, don't prioritize quantity over quality. If you think you can answer the question well in 2 sides, then it's OK.

Good luck, and don't worry! IGCSE is graded on a global scale, and most people end up getting better grades than they expected- I got an A in nearly everything, even some subjects I got D's in for mocks, so yeah :smile:
Original post by 3raser
I've done well on my coursework, but thats only because I've spent time editing and redrafting. In the exam I have to do 3 40 minute essays.. I just don't know how to do this well and within that time limit! any tips/ suggestions?

Don't do that in your exam.
Reply 6
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
Don't do that in your exam.

Oh come on! :tongue: He obviously won't. You're in a whole different frame of mind typing on a website, and writing in an exam with the pressure turned up
Reply 7
I know someone who got a 99% on the exam and without studying too. She was so good at empathy writing, I swear she could write 5 pages on the emotions of a rock.
Reply 8
Original post by 3raser
I know someone who got a 99% on the exam and without studying too. She was so good at empathy writing, I swear she could write 5 pages on the emotions of a rock.

Empathy writing is a lot more fun, and very scoring if you know your character well. Which texts are you doing?
Reply 9
Original post by saachi
Empathy writing is a lot more fun, and very scoring if you know your character well. Which texts are you doing?

The Great Gatsby and Much Ado about Nothing
My literature GCSE exam text was 'Of Mice and Men'
Enjoyable book, easy going, barely did any revision and came out with an A.
Dude, my advice would be don't stress, stress can make you sick, can give you a twisted feeling in your stomach, then you don't eat, leading to you possibly feeling tired or more sick.
Reply 11
Original post by 3raser
The Great Gatsby and Much Ado about Nothing

Oooh, I love the Great Gatsby! I did Much Ado too, all the empathy questions seem to be about Hero when Claudio humiliates her at the altar. I remember one of my exam questions asked whether Benedick and Beatrice or Claudio and Hero was the more honorable couple.
Sorry I just realised why we only write one side; I'm actually doing GCSE English, and we're covering Of Mice and Men, Journey's End and Jekyll and Hyde.
Reply 13
Now there's a new rule where you must do at least one passage based question and one traditional essay... which leaves only one essay of your choice.
Reply 14
So even if all the questions aren't essay ones you have to write 3 sides for each? The exam I'm taking requires at least one passage based and one essay as well as a "write your thoughts" question. Is the quantity of writing equal for each question type? I have my English Lit in 2 days :tongue: Extremely nervous.
Original post by saachi
Best do whatever question you're most comfortable with, and feel you can answer better.

You should write 3 sides, ideally. I don't know how you can cover everything the question asks in just 1 side, unless your handwriting's tiny. Everyone in my English class who wrote 3+ sides got an A/A*, and this one girl who wrote 5 sides for each answer got a high A* (96%).

Obviously, though, don't prioritize quantity over quality. If you think you can answer the question well in 2 sides, then it's OK.

Good luck, and don't worry! IGCSE is graded on a global scale, and most people end up getting better grades than they expected- I got an A in nearly everything, even some subjects I got D's in for mocks, so yeah :smile:

May I know how important the conclusion is in the literature exam (paper 1)? When I did this, I didn't have enough time to complete the conclusion for all three questions. Do you know if this would have a significant impact on my score?
Can i still get a good grade, if i didnt write much on the writers craft
I was just here randomly thinking let's look for some tips in literature and then I read your comment AND EVERYTHING GOES BOOM! Gurl, you don't know how happy I am reading your comment right now because I have been realy upset about how my papers went till now and I know I will get an A but you just made me realize that I can aspire to do more! You go girl! Thanks for this comment, btw! :smile:)))))))
Reply 18
Original post by saachi

Hey, I was just wondering is this 3 normal A4 sides. Because in the exam the answer booklet they give you is smaller. They have like margins on both sides.
Reply 19
Original post by saachi
I did IGCSE English lit, missed an A*, got a high A though. I was totally unprepared, though, I didn't even have my texts with me :tongue:

If I remember correctly, it's important to write AT LEAST 3 sides for each essay. Unlike English Language, which is an unseen exam, you're supposed to actually be prepared for it. Waste no time in planning- have your thesis ready, and plunge into the essay. You won't have time to look in the texts for quotes, so remember the most important ones off by heart.

I'm sure you've been taught the structure of essay writing, just follow that, but be careful not to write nice and slow in the beginning and then rush the conclusion! A lot of us ended up doing just that, and regretted it. Remember- 5 minutes for intro, 5 for conclusion, and 30 minutes of intense writing. If you can cover 1 side in 10 mins, you're good. Just keep timing yourself. Practice a few essays before the exam, and time yourself.

Also try and do justice all 3 essays- don't write one excellent one and one mediocre one, because it will bring your overall grade down. Try writing fast, and remember not to waste time on fancy language, as this is counts for the least marks, and is a somewhat negligible criteria. Just get your points across clearly and in appropriate, but not extensive, language.

Oh, and even though you shouldn't worry, I think the pressure helps some people work well. So don't worry about getting too nervous (if that makes any sense).

Good luck :smile:

How do you write an essay with 3 -5 sides? And what paper is that for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending