The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tateco
Huh? Oh you mean LSE? :tongue:

:sadnod: sorry, I wasnt clear
Reply 8981
Original post by pandapower
Hey guys, thanks for keeping me company over the past 6months.
For the record.

International Student.
A-lvls : AAAA

Cambridge (Gonville and Caius) - Unsuccessful
LSE, UCL, Warwick - Unconditional

Funny though, I really wanted Cambridge...but I am grateful I have offers from LSE and UCL.

Congrats on all those amazing offers! You going to go to LSE?
Original post by Nadine10
Congrats on all those amazing offers! You going to go to LSE?

I am still undecided over LSE and UCL....unless you want to give up yr place in Cambridge for me? :colondollar:

How about you? Cambridge for sure?
Original post by Nadine10
You have such good grades!! That is so unfair :frown: Why do you think your personal statement didn't shine enough? And if you don't mind me asking, what subjects do you take?

Yeah my personal statement was VERY maths and economics orientated, but I'm also a very good musician - and some teachers at my school say that I should've put more emphasis on that. I dunno...
I do the European Baccalaureate with Maths higher level, physics, economics and geography :smile:
Reply 8984
Original post by pandapower
I am still undecided over LSE and UCL....unless you want to give up yr place in Cambridge for me? :colondollar:

How about you? Cambridge for sure?

yup - cambridge :smile:

I would say take LSE! higher ranking and better reputation for the subject :smile:
Reply 8985
Original post by pkhelfried
Yeah my personal statement was VERY maths and economics orientated, but I'm also a very good musician - and some teachers at my school say that I should've put more emphasis on that. I dunno...
I do the European Baccalaureate with Maths higher level, physics, economics and geography :smile:

Maybe because there was too much maths? I have no idea - but you seem to have everything they would want? odd :P
Reply 8986

I do not think it would be your personal statement as mathematical ability is the main focus for the top Universities as I have seen many students without Economics but with Maths/Further Math get into Oxbridge on TSR.

I think it may be the European Baccalaureate which they may not prefer, which is silly considering it is your only choice of qualification (I think). Your subject choices seem very desirable but I am no judge. These admissions tutors find the smallest issues with applications :frown: as I would know...
Original post by Yash13
I do not think it would be your personal statement as mathematical ability is the main focus for the top Universities as I have seen many students without Economics but with Maths/Further Math get into Oxbridge on TSR.

I think it may be the European Baccalaureate which they may not prefer, which is silly considering it is your only choice of qualification (I think). Your subject choices seem very desirable but I am no judge. These admissions tutors find the smallest issues with applications :frown: as I would know...

This. Sadly but true, most universities do prefer A Levels or the IB because those are the qualifications they know. Oxbridge don't really care because they have a very long history with foreign qualifications. Other unis though, mainly LSE and UCL as far as I've heard, definetely prefer A Levels or the IB. You can see that by looking at the numbers of foreign students they accept each year. I saw the stats from 2010 for LSE L101 and they didn't accept any Frenchs, Italians, Spanish or any from the Scandinavian countries. They accepted 8 Germans out of 110 or so. But they accepted many Asians. Of course this might be due to the higher fees they have to pay but I bet no one of those Asians that got an offer did their domestic qualification. Everyone did A Levels or IB. So you can see, although the European Baccalaurate is a VERY good qualification, some unis will prefer candidates with A Levels. We just have to accept that...
Original post by nightmare91
This. Sadly but true, most universities do prefer A Levels or the IB because those are the qualifications they know. Oxbridge don't really care because they have a very long history with foreign qualifications. Other unis though, mainly LSE and UCL as far as I've heard, definetely prefer A Levels or the IB. You can see that by looking at the numbers of foreign students they accept each year. I saw the stats from 2010 for LSE L101 and they didn't accept any Frenchs, Italians, Spanish or any from the Scandinavian countries. They accepted 8 Germans out of 110 or so. But they accepted many Asians. Of course this might be due to the higher fees they have to pay but I bet no one of those Asians that got an offer did their domestic qualification. Everyone did A Levels or IB. So you can see, although the European Baccalaurate is a VERY good qualification, some unis will prefer candidates with A Levels. We just have to accept that...

Absolutely true. That's what my career advisor from school told me; LSE are notoriously known within our system for being a bit edgy about the EB :P
I still haven't heard from them though, which, I believe, is a good sign so far. I know it's unlikely to get an offer, that goes for any applicant at the LSE, but sometimes I just imagine what it'd feel like to say: "yep, I'm an offer-holder from the London School of Economics". We'll have to wait and see :wink:
I just checked today on the lse website...okay, so they've received 2798 applications for L101 (Economics) in 2011. That's almost 200 less than 2010 though. And they've also raised their intake level from 177 places to 198 places I believe. That's fact so far, if I remembered the numbers correctly.
Then lets say that roughly 1000 applicants have already been rejected (so 1798 left) and some have been given offers (1750 left). Now we need to consider Oxbridge offer-holders, who put LSE as their second-choice OR completely withdraw their application, if LSE hasn't given them an answer yet. So I'd say, guesstimating here, that there's about 1500 applicants left and the School gives out roughly 400 offers.
Hence, chance of getting an offer is roughly 1 in every 4 if you still ain't heard from them. Or maybe this is all bull haha I dunno :biggrin: but then, who does?
Its weird how before the application process everyone was deeming LSE as gcse nazis wanting at least 9A* (nearly put me off applying)... Glad that's not the case...

tbh I don't think I've seen anyone with less than 9A* at gcse get an offer from Warwick yet? But that's prob due to their extremely slow nature...
Original post by funkydee
Its weird how before the application process everyone was deeming LSE as gcse nazis wanting at least 9A* (nearly put me off applying)... Glad that's not the case...

tbh I don't think I've seen anyone with less than 9A* at gcse get an offer from Warwick yet? But that's prob due to their extremely slow nature...

Very true, although I've always heard gcse nazi like noises about Warwick, well done on your LSE offer!
Original post by tooambitious
Very true, although I've always heard gcse nazi like noises about Warwick, well done on your LSE offer!

cheers man, been a long 5 month wait!
Got any ideas where your applying next year?
Original post by funkydee
cheers man, been a long 5 month wait!
Got any ideas where your applying next year?

5 months looks worth it now I bet!
Urrrm, provisionally just because of stuff I've seen on here Oxford, Ucl (l101), LSE, Warwick, and another AAA/AAB, I really would love to go to any of the four, although Ox and Ucl would be my preferences
I just checked today on the lse website...okay, so they've received 2798 applications for L101 (Economics) in 2011. That's almost 200 less than 2010 though. And they've also raised their intake level from 177 places to 198 places I believe. That's fact so far, if I remembered the numbers correctly.
Then lets say that roughly 1000 applicants have already been rejected (so 1798 left) and some have been given offers (1750 left). Now we need to consider Oxbridge offer-holders, who put LSE as their second-choice OR completely withdraw their application, if LSE hasn't given them an answer yet. So I'd say, guesstimating here, that there's about 1500 applicants left and the School gives out roughly 400 offers.
Hence, chance of getting an offer is roughly 1 in every 4 if you still ain't heard from them. Or maybe this is all bull haha I dunno :biggrin: but then, who does?

I hope those figures are correct :biggrin: Sounds solid though. But LSE is definetely unpredictable. I'd be the happiest person on earth if I got an offer from them although I'd be happy at Warwick as well. Coventry is just not as awesome as London :tongue:

Although I heard from Warwick in December already I find it weid that there are so many people on here who haven't heard from them yet! Especially since the Warwick representative on TSR said that they would make the majority of their decisions before February...
is anyone still waiting for bath to make a decision?
Would it be possible to send them recent January exam results to strengthen my application?
Reply 8996
Original post by TheBrightSide
is anyone still waiting for bath to make a decision?
Would it be possible to send them recent January exam results to strengthen my application?

I heard from them in the February so don't give up hope :smile:

You may as well, if it is good then it can't hurt can it?
Reply 8997
Original post by Tateco
I heard from them in the February so don't give up hope :smile:

You may as well, if it is good then it can't hurt can it?

Have you sent yours to UCL or Warwick? I seen you and a few others were talking about sending January results.
Reply 8998
Original post by jacky23
Have you sent yours to UCL or Warwick? I seen you and a few others were talking about sending January results.

No, the Warwick representative told me it probably wouldn't be worth it and I don't see what difference it would make.
Hello Clever People of TSR,

I got an offer from SOAS and Manchester (asking for the same grades) and need to choose between the two for insurance, at least. Disregarding the "this-city-is-better-than-that-city" argument, which one do you think is a better choice and why?

Secondly, I still haven't heard from LSE and Warwick (EPAIS). Are they one of those brutal unis who reject people on the 30th of March? haha..

Thanks!

Latest

Trending

Trending