The Student Room Group

Singapore Kopitiam

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bpbp
mosquitos don't bite.

:lolwut:
Do you mean they don't have teeth do don't technically "bite". Rather use that horrible probe to puncture the skin?
Original post by GingerGoat
Nah, NTU :smile:
What's it like?

I see. I've few friends in there right now. My dad works there as well :smile:.

It has loads of students from China. Especially in their engineering courses. What course are you doing?
Reply 3182
Would people try to charge you more if you look like you're a foreigner? (Which will be obvious in my case, since I'm ginger haired :lol:)

That's possible, but I'd say it's less common in Singapore than in some other countries!

Have you read these impressions from other Strathclyde students who've been to NTU?
Original post by iamlovinit05

It has loads of students from China. Especially in their engineering courses. What course are you doing?

I'll be on the "Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering" course :smile:
Do your friends enjoy it there?

Are you studying in the UK? :smile:
Original post by perpend
That's possible, but I'd say it's less common in Singapore than in some other countries!

Have you read these impressions from other Strathclyde students who've been to NTU?

Indeed I have and e-mailed them before, but I'm just looking for as much info as possible :smile:

Out of interest, how expensive is it to travel to other Asian countries, say China?
I'll be on the "Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering" course :smile:
Do your friends enjoy it there?

Are you studying in the UK? :smile:

I'm still on a Gap year. Most probably headed to Manchester Uni in Sept.
My friends in NTU are doing fine - just note that it's quite competitive there.

Personally, I've seen the place and did not really like it - but hey, go there with an open mind and you might actually enjoy the time spent there!
Reply 3186
Original post by iamlovinit05

Agree!!!
Reply 3187
Indeed I have and e-mailed them before, but I'm just looking for as much info as possible :smile:

Out of interest, how expensive is it to travel to other Asian countries, say China?

Hi GingerGoat,
if u want to travel to other parts of asia, we have a few budget airlines like Tiger airways, Jetstar asia and Air asia for u to choose from. they are not as cheap as for u to travel within europe, i must say if u manage to book early and u are lucky, u can get to china for about 150pounds and back to singapore.

I live at the area near NTU; about a 20mins walk. if u reach singapore before i fly off, i dont mind meeting u up and help u familarize area around the university and also show u where to get necessities without getting "hacked" by the vendors.

Are u from Scotland? I am going there for my studies this september and i wish to know more about the place, wonder if u are willing to share with me? :smile:
Original post by jonobebe
Hi GingerGoat,
if u want to travel to other parts of asia, we have a few budget airlines like Tiger airways, Jetstar asia and Air asia for u to choose from. they are not as cheap as for u to travel within europe, i must say if u manage to book early and u are lucky, u can get to china for about 150pounds and back to singapore.

I live at the area near NTU; about a 20mins walk. if u reach singapore before i fly off, i dont mind meeting u up and help u familarize area around the university and also show u where to get necessities without getting "hacked" by the vendors.

Are u from Scotland? I am going there for my studies this september and i wish to know more about the place, wonder if u are willing to share with me? :smile:

Wow, £150? Definitely going for a visit then :biggrin:
And I would definitely love to meet up if I arrive before you depart. I will arrive on the 6th of August :smile: (so soon!)

Yes, I'm Scottish and from the highlands but live in Glasgow now :smile:
Where are you going to study in Scotland? If you tell me where I can give you an idea of what the place is like :smile:
Reply 3189

Just note that China's not a very good comparison if you're talking about travelling - it's an Asian country, but not near Singapore at all (as compared to the neighbouring SEA countries). It's something like comparing the cost from travelling to Amsterdam from London, as compared to the cost from travelling to Turkey (or even further east) from London!
Reply 3190
Wow, £150? Definitely going for a visit then :biggrin:
And I would definitely love to meet up if I arrive before you depart. I will arrive on the 6th of August :smile: (so soon!)

Yes, I'm Scottish and from the highlands but live in Glasgow now :smile:
Where are you going to study in Scotland? If you tell me where I can give you an idea of what the place is like :smile:

that was the price about a year ago. now with fuel surcharge, i guess u might have to visit the websites of the airlines to check again. u can try zuji for travel deals too.

u book your ticket already? if u arrive on the 6th aug we do have some time to meet up. :smile: i will most probably leave around late august.

I am going to Heriot Watt, but not the main campus, i will be at scottish borders galashiels.
Original post by Narev
Just note that China's not a very good comparison if you're talking about travelling - it's an Asian country, but not near Singapore at all (as compared to the neighbouring SEA countries). It's something like comparing the cost from travelling to Amsterdam from London, as compared to the cost from travelling to Turkey (or even further east) from London!

Ah right, just I've always wanted to see China and probably one of the safer ones if travelling alone, right? Some of the scenery looks incredible, also.

Where would you recommend travelling to that's nearby? :smile:
that was the price about a year ago. now with fuel surcharge, i guess u might have to visit the websites of the airlines to check again. u can try zuji for travel deals too.

u book your ticket already? if u arrive on the 6th aug we do have some time to meet up. :smile: i will most probably leave around late august.

I am going to Heriot Watt, but not the main campus, i will be at scottish borders galashiels.

I haven't booked yet, hopefully soon :smile: But that's when the induction week starts. I plan to leave Germany (where I'm doing an internship in summer) on the 4th for London, then flying out on the 5th :biggrin:

Heriot Watt eh? :smile: Shame you're not on the main campus as Edinburgh is a fantastic (if often overly touristy) place. However the borders is generally very nice. You won't meet many people with really broad accents either, like you would in Glasgow or Aberdeen. If you want the traditional Scottish scenery you'd have to travel north. Trains within Scotland can be quite expensive if you don't book in advance, also. You can generally get to London quite cheaply too by train or plane. Bus, also, if you don't mind slumming it!
Reply 3193
I haven't booked yet, hopefully soon :smile: But that's when the induction week starts. I plan to leave Germany (where I'm doing an internship in summer) on the 4th for London, then flying out on the 5th :biggrin:

Heriot Watt eh? :smile: Shame you're not on the main campus as Edinburgh is a fantastic (if often overly touristy) place. However the borders is generally very nice. You won't meet many people with really broad accents either, like you would in Glasgow or Aberdeen. If you want the traditional Scottish scenery you'd have to travel north. Trains within Scotland can be quite expensive if you don't book in advance, also. You can generally get to London quite cheaply too by train or plane. Bus, also, if you don't mind slumming it!

"slumming"? sorry i dont understand what u mean..
is the borders often rainy and gloomy?
Reply 3194
hey ppl i got a question here...

for example when i make my decision on ucas and i selected "withdraw", would that particular uni know my decision?
hey ppl i got a question here...

for example when i make my decision on ucas and i selected "withdraw", would that particular uni know my decision?

I would imagine so...... the university can't be kept "pending" forever. In fact, that would be like banning you from seeing your rejections on UCAS... and only letting you see your offers. They let you know if you're rejected, so I guess that much is granted for the universities as well.
Reply 3196
Original post by ofssinfoxes
I would imagine so...... the university can't be kept "pending" forever. In fact, that would be like banning you from seeing your rejections on UCAS... and only letting you see your offers. They let you know if you're rejected, so I guess that much is granted for the universities as well.

i think you got me wrong. the story goes like this -- i had to select withdrew from this particular uni because i need to firm the offer from my first choice. i am now wondering if this particular uni knows i already withdrew from them, because i receive an email from the course tutor requesting my portfolio (as i am doing design course).
Hi could I just ask if anyone's going to warwick? :smile:
Reply 3198
Original post by Walnutwatch175
Hi could I just ask if anyone's going to warwick? :smile:

What will you be doing in Warwick?
Original post by Narev
What will you be doing in Warwick?

Erm got an offer in economics but not sure if im accepting the offer yet as i would need a scholarship to go :frown:

What about you? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest