The Student Room Group

Death Penalty in the UK - What's your view?

Hello All :smile:, I was wondering what your view is on the Death Penalty as this would really help me get feedback on this issue. I would be grateful if you could extend your argument and add as much detail as possible. Many thanks... :badger:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No death penalty.

The state shouldn't have the power to end of the life of its own citizens. That is far too much power to give to the state and outside of the USA the death penalty is mostly the preserve of totalitarian regimes. Its brutish and barbaric and lowers the state to the level of the accused. Knowing I live under a regime that can kill its own people does not make me feel safe or secure, even if those people being executed are some of the lowest of the low.

And on the other hand the executed could be entirely innocent which is another big problem of the death penalty and there are plenty of instances in which it has happened. There is the example of the guy released not too long ago after 22 years in prison for murder as evidence emerged that proved him innocent. The crime he was accused of would have earned him the death penalty in a state with capital punishment, and what's more there probably would of been people baying for that innocent mans blood.

Saying that, the way in which some of the worst criminals going live in relative luxury in our current judicial system in something I am not happy with either.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Azog 150
No death penalty.

The state shouldn't have the power to end of the life of its own citizens. That is far too much power to give to the state and outside of the USA the death penalty is mostly the preserve of totalitarian regimes. Its brutish and barbaric and lowers the state to the level of the accused. Knowing I live under a regime that can kill its own people does not make me feel safe or secure, even if those people being executed are some of the lowest of the low.

And on the other hand the executed could be entirely innocent which is another big problem of the death penalty and there are plenty of instances in which it has happened. There is the example of the guy released not too long ago after 22 years in prison for murder as evidence emerged that proved him innocent. The crime he was accused of would have earned him the death penalty in a state with capital punishment, and what's more there probably would of been people baying for that innocent mans blood.

Saying that, the way in which some of the worst criminals going live in relative luxury in our current judicial system in something I am not happy with either.

But living under a regime that can detain its citizens indefinitely without evidence or a trial is okay?
Reply 3
Original post by lambert1
But living under a regime that can detain its citizens indefinitely without evidence or a trial is okay?

Since when do we live under such a regime?
Since when do we live under such a regime?

We do. This is quite common.
Reply 5
Against it.

1. You can never be 100% sure if they have committed a crime, it's been proven hundreds of innocent people have been murdered by the state for wrongly accusing them of a crime.

2. It is the exact opposite of a deterrent for crime. Where the death penalty is available, crime rates in general are higher.

3. Killing somebody to show that killing is wrong is a logical fallacy.

4. It's actually more expensive for the death penalty than life in prison.
Reply 6
Original post by The Hedonist

Care to provide some examples? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
My view is that people should use the search function to see that this question has been debated a hell of a lot of times already
Reply 8
I say sort out 'life imprisonment' first... sick how early these people get out of prison. The system is so lax that the death penalty would be extremely severe in comparison.
Reply 9
Care to provide some examples? :s-smilie:

Guantanamo bay is the biggest example. You can argue that it is American but we certainly have a big role to play there. Our secret service has handed over countless people there including British citizens. I don't understand the whole stigma attached to killing people. Locking up people is seen as equally barbaric just look at Fritzl.
Reply 10
up people is seen as equally barbaric just look at Fritzl.

i think the multiple rapes of his daughter contributed to that...
Reply 11
Original post by cl_steele
i think the multiple rapes of his daughter contributed to that...

Just another thing in common with prison then.
Original post by The Hedonist

We don't.

Death penalty for reasonable crimes ALL THE WAY.
Reply 13
Just another thing in common with prison then.

people lock up their daughters in a basement and rape their daughters in prison ?:s-smilie:
Reply 14
No death penalty.

Those who argue for it suggest that it would be applicable in a tiny number of cases. However my concern would be that you're setting a specification of just how severe a crime you've got to commit and them *boom* you've got yourself into perhaps the most media scrutinised courtroom there has ever been - the media would go wild. Sycophants after a bit of attention could run amok.

I wouldn't buy 'cost savings' either of locking someone up either. The discussion of and enquiries into the death penalty, and then the additional costs of court, detention and legally 'administering' death would probably heavily outweight the 'saving' of just a few people.
Reply 15
It someone misbehaves fry them. Plain and simple. why waste money supporting criminals who will just commit more crimes if released.
Original post by Sharri5
It someone misbehaves fry them. Plain and simple. why waste money supporting criminals who will just commit more crimes if released.

So in other words you'd have all criminals (not just murderers, etc.) sentenced to the electric chair?
Original post by Sharri5

I'm sure someone else will come up with the counter to this if I don't so here it is.

The idea of saving money by executing people is a fantasy, it actually costs a huge amount more to execute than to lock up for life (as in until they die), because of the enormous legal costs.

For example, the state of California has, since 1978, spent $4 billion on its capital punishment system. In the same time, it has executed a grand total of 13 prisoners. That's over $300,000,000 each. Hardly a great saving in my books!
Reply 18
Death penalty for criminals such as serial killers, paedophiles and rapists.

These type of "people" will never be rehabilitated, and as far as Im concerned they dont deserve to be rehabilitated, and most certainly dont deserve to go to that loving home which is now described as being "prison".
Reply 19
Original post by Sharri5

Loitering? Off to the chair with you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending