The Student Room Group

OCR 21st Century Science

Did anyone choose triple science (Currently Year 10 or 11) and find that Chemistry 1/2/3 were terribly boring? C4 (Periodic Table) is way more interesting and is somewhat 'proper science'.

How is everyone finding the course up to now?
I do triple in year 11, just finished the 4,5,6s and am onto the 7s :s-smilie:. So far Biology 7 went by okay though I didn't pay much attention, Physics 7 flew by because I was focusing too much on exams, but Chemistry 7 is good so far

I can't even remember Chemistry 1,2 and 3 much. I know there was stuff on polymers which was mind-numbing. Air pollution wasn't that bad. But yeah, it's not very exciting. It gets better on 4,5 and 6 I think. It's harder but more interesting and the topics link over with each other which means when you understand everything you don't forget the stuff. I got A* in both of the exams so far in Chemistry, and A* on the coursework, so I don't wanna mess up C7.

There's less stuff on opinions and ethics, in fact I think there's only one thing? If any across all three subjects. The good thing about 1,2 and 3 is that it's a bit easier imo :smile:
Reply 2
Biology 1 (DNA, Genes...etc) Was supposed to be the hardest out of the 6? Is that true?
Original post by themancunian
Biology 1 (DNA, Genes...etc) Was supposed to be the hardest out of the 6? Is that true?

Out of Biology? It's harder than B4 and B6 imo. B5 is harder, it involves a lot more technical science than the other two - i.e. the stages of Meiosis and Mitosis.

Physics is painfully boring until P6 :redface: But then you might like science and Physics, they're just not my subject, I have to work a lot more than I do in most subjects to get higher grades. :colondollar: Good luck!
Yes i believe Biology B1,B2,B3 was harder than b4 and b6 yet i totally agree that b6 was the hardest because of the concept of meiosis, mitosis and protein synthesis.

C1,C2,C3 was as dull as dish water and yes it does get harder but not much harder in c4,c5,c6 but it gets more interesting.

P4,P5,P6 was definitely a big step up from P1,P2,P3, i found P4 and P5 the hardest since i hated forces and circuits yet loved P6

By the way how did everyone do in their 4,5 and 6 science exams?

I was pleasantly surprised with physics since the paper was dreadful!
I got:

46/50 A* for Chemistry
43/50 for Biology (2 marks off :\)
44/50 for Physics (1 mark off, though I'm not gonna complain, the exam was HORRIBLE, I did miles better than I thought I did :s-smilie: , I couldn't believe the mark I got). Plus I didn't even think the raw mark grade boundaries were as nice as they were going to be. :smile:

How'd you do?
I got:

46/50 A* for Chemistry
43/50 for Biology (2 marks off :\)
44/50 for Physics (1 mark off, though I'm not gonna complain, the exam was HORRIBLE, I did miles better than I thought I did , I couldn't believe the mark I got). Plus I didn't even think the raw mark grade boundaries were as nice as they were going to be.

How'd you do?

WELL DONE! :biggrin:

And yes when i saw the raw mark for physics was 31 on the wednesday for an A* i was scared!

I got:

Chemistry- 48/50 :biggrin:
Biology- 46/50 :biggrin:
Physics 46/50 (wth? :biggrin:)
Original post by science-oliver
WELL DONE! :biggrin:

And yes when i saw the raw mark for physics was 31 on the wednesday for an A* i was scared!

I got:

Chemistry- 48/50 :biggrin:
Biology- 46/50 :biggrin:
Physics 46/50 (wth? :biggrin:)

Wow, they're amazing results :biggrin: well done!

Just the 7s/Ideas in Context to go :smile: . (Then I can forget about science forever :redface: )
Wow, they're amazing results well done!

Just the 7s/Ideas in Context to go . (Then I can forget about science forever )

I know, how are you finding he 7's so far, i'm feel they are going good so far (well maybe not physics :P).

And i cannot forget about science :P since im taking:-

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Pyschology at college

what are you taking? :smile:
Original post by science-oliver
I know, how are you finding he 7's so far, i'm feel they are going good so far (well maybe not physics :P).

And i cannot forget about science :P since im taking:-

Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Pyschology at college

what are you taking? :smile:

Yeah, that's how I feel lol. Biology and Chemistry are okay I think, Physics is :s-smilie: as usual for me.

I'm taking

Maths
English Lit.
Modern History
Classical Civ.

I'm more of an essay kinda guy :redface: Looking forward to them to be honest. :smile: I probably will miss Biology and Chemistry a little.. Physics though :eek: .
yeah i'm less of an essay guy aha, want to study medicine at uni aha.

how do you revise for english lit and language and what grades are you getting? (sorry i am just curious)
I wanna study History I think. :biggrin:

A*s mostly, all my controlled assessments are at A* so far (we have the drama performance this week though, which I won't get A* on lol). My exams were As and I'm retaking them all. :smile:

I revise by doing past papers, going over the texts, and I have audio files of the An Inspector Calls play, it's far better/ more intersting than just reading it imo when you've got spare time. It's pretty hard to revise for English though lol :\
(edited 12 years ago)
I did triple science last year / year before and I know what you mean a lot of it was boring especially bio! There were some highlights though from what I remember from my revelation in C3 and the whole electromagnetic spectrum thing in P1.

You will probably find you score higher in year 11, I scored 45/6's in year 10 and then 100% raw marks in all 3 the following year.

A-level is much more interesting, take science guys :-)
Original post by Alex Bampton
I did triple science last year / year before and I know what you mean a lot of it was boring especially bio! There were some highlights though from what I remember from my revelation in C3 and the whole electromagnetic spectrum thing in P1.

You will probably find you score higher in year 11, I scored 45/6's in year 10 and then 100% raw marks in all 3 the following year.

A-level is much more interesting, take science guys :-)

A-Level is more understanding than learning?
Original post by themancunian
A-Level is more understanding than learning?

Yes definitely especially in Chemistry / physics, being able to apply knowledge to different scenarios created in exams is vital.

Having said that there is still a lot of memory needed and there is not much time to dwell I've 4 months from Jan exams to remember 100+ pages in Biology alone!
Reply 15
My book says gametes have 23chromatids - if there are 23 chromatids in a gamete, how do we get a diploid when fertilization happens because 23 chromatids and 23 chromatids form 23 chromosomes when there should be 23 pairs of chromosomes in a diploid cell meaning 46 chromosomes so this doesnt make sense help

Image0606.jpg
Reply 16
Original post by SinghH
My book says gametes have 23chromatids - if there are 23 chromatids in a gamete, how do we get a diploid when fertilization happens because 23 chromatids and 23 chromatids form 23 chromosomes when there should be 23 pairs of chromosomes in a diploid cell meaning 46 chromosomes so this doesnt make sense helpImage0606.jpg
You see, its only called a chromotid when a chromosome divides into two strands that are attached, so it looks like an X. Each strand is a chromotid. Then the chromosomes finally divides, the products are called two chromosomes, even though while attached, they were referred to as chromotids. I know...confusing!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending