The Student Room Group

Post your best photograph

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Suzanathema
Yeah, but what's the point?

I just finished quite a huge digital project where I would take something like 10 shots for every 1 I used and honestly, I don't find any value in the digital images when I would look at them, decide I wasn't happy, and discard them so easily. I've started to view them as disposable/repeatable.

With film every shot is valuable because film and processing costs money. You really think about each shot you set up and the entire process gets more literal and emotional worth.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely shoot digital for something important, the feedback you get instantly is valuable in a one-chance-only situation, but for just pissing around with a camera or for taking hobby/touristy shots, nothing beats film in my opinion...

Fair enough. Thinking about it, we've had this discussion before and I think it had to be 'agree to disagree', because I like being able to take 10 photos and only use one. :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TheSownRose
Fair enough. Thinking about it, we've had this discussion before and I think it had to be 'agree to disagree', because I like being able to take 10 photos and only use one. :dontknow:

Yeah we might have done :tongue:

It depends on the situation I think. Whatever makes people happy. And, although I can't deny digital is the predominant format now, and is much more convenient, I'm still happy to piss around with my crappy 80s soviet SLRs :smile:
Reply 3362
That's it..

an old woman is from the east anatolia.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yeah, but what's the point?

I just finished quite a huge digital project where I would take something like 10 shots for every 1 I used and honestly, I don't find any value in the digital images when I would look at them, decide I wasn't happy, and discard them so easily. I've started to view them as disposable/repeatable.

With film every shot is valuable because film and processing costs money. You really think about each shot you set up and the entire process gets more literal and emotional worth.

Don't get me wrong, I would definitely shoot digital for something important, the feedback you get instantly is valuable in a one-chance-only situation, but for just pissing around with a camera or for taking hobby/touristy shots, nothing beats film in my opinion...

Ah thats cute, I remember when I thought that :rolleyes:
Original post by HotPower
That's it..

an old woman is from the east anatolia.

What did you take that with? A toaster? I don't even know how to describe the quality of her hand! Its like a really ****ty motion blur? Although in terms of subject matter, processing (kind'a) you have a nice shot
Original post by DanBrwn
Ah thats cute, I remember when I thought that :rolleyes:

Y so patronising? Surely its better to learn proper photography through film than to take a poor digital shot then learn to rely on Photoshop for ridiculous colours, over the top HDRs and annoying selective desaturation?
Y so patronising? Surely its better to learn proper photography through film than to take a poor digital shot then learn to rely on Photoshop for ridiculous colours, over the top HDRs and annoying selective desaturation?

Using film doesn't mean you learn proper photography. You can still end up taking 100's of useless photographs and then edit them on a computer as you please.
cropped bw geisha.jpg These are from my recent trip to Japan. I really like the second one. What do you guys think?
fire works.jpgfire works.jpg
Reply 3369
SpiderWeb.jpg

It's much easier to learn what you're doing with digital, where you can take a photo and see what effect a change in shutterspeed/iso/aperture has had straight away. You can also spend hours experimenting with settings without any worry of cost.

I think it's a bit odd to think there are only two types of photography; "proper" film photography and then people who rely on over the top post processing. There are a lot of people who don't fit either category.
tumblr_m0q0uk8SKu1qk4js0o1_500.jpg

Full size

St Edmundsbury Cathedral, Bury St Edmunds.
People in the desert

Camel Back

Shop Hut

Dubai Skyline

The Tallest Building in the World

Some Esclator
Original post by Vazzyb

Scumbag VazzyB

Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

Soon, my friend, soon.
Original post by Vazzyb
Please rate some other members before rating this member again.

Soon, my friend, soon.

Its funny because you think I care about my rep
Original post by DanBrwn
Its funny because you think I care about my rep

All you do is moan, whine, bitch and complain. If you dont like people posting, no one is making you stay.
Original post by Vazzyb
All you do is moan, whine, bitch and complain. If you dont like people posting, no one is making you stay.

Actually I have only done that over the last 3 posts I made. So it isnt all I do at all. And in your case, its called trolling because you are so damn insecure that you have to try and make people like you or be fear you. Come to think of it I think it is actually a pity that you are like that. Stop lying and be yourself, people will like you better

Lie: "i hacked tsr so i can see all anon posters..."
Want to make people be afraid of negging you:
1) "Before you lose 6 points, you meant to neg me or just pressed the wrong button?"
2) "Dont hate (neg) me. I bite (neg back)"
(edited 12 years ago)

This isn't what I mean at all :tongue:! It is better to learn with film when you pass the initial stage of guessing exposures, but when you start to make money from photography you will learn that a digital file is leagues more valuable than a film negative. I think - maybe - that the word you were looking for is "special" and no doubt a film negative is more special than a digital file, but not more valuable

Get what I mean? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending