The Student Room Group

BUNAC Work Canada

Scroll to see replies

Reply 460
Original post by shoegirl
Your job sounds fun! I can't believe I own a ski jacket and snow boots! Though love, love the boots too, especially today in the slush! I remember checking the weather for Canada last year and thinking I would still be freezing in March and April yet I felt boiling today and tomorrow looks 'hot' too! Congrats on the snow boarding achievement! I will have to give it a try soon. I am happy I got to try skiing as never had before but too expensive to do a lot :frown:, was thinking about ski resort work but didn't end up doing it in the end. The ski instructor told me I fall really well though so that's an achievement - right :wink:? Need to arrange going at the weekend again soon.

Visa stuff sounds stressful :frown:. It was stressful enough in the UK let alone out. Hope you manage to get it sorted and send off soon to get that off your mind. I keep getting told I don't sound English at all! Many people think Australian which I haven't got outside Canada.

Not sure where I will go. Been to NZ before and loved it (wish I'd worked there actually when I went before) so that sounds like a good option. I need to go back to England and save I think (plus pay off debts, ack!!!). Feel like I will be bored at home though. Yeah Canadian travel is tres expensive! I am planning a few trips at the moment, was going to go to Vancouver and Vancouver Island :smile: beg of April with a friend but it might not work out till later on. Though then it will be warmer which will be good but I really want to see Vancouver soon! Also a friend I've made is moving Halifax so I am trying to get time off to go on the drive with her and fly back.

Got to experience Canadian healthcare today! REMINDER - sort out what you are entitled to before you get sick as it can be $$$$. The dr was lovely though and actually reimbursed me some of what I had paid. Now need to research my coverage options here and look over my travel insurance documents! Was trying to hold off going as I didn't want to pay but so much pain definitely worth it in the end. Even though I am now on a pasta diet for the rest of my time here :wink:.

Go to Halifax!! That'll be a nice drive, try and go via as many places as possible...I like Hopewell Rocks in the Bay of Fundy (New Brunswick) & Prince Edward Island as well, if you can go off the route a bit. The bridge over is free, but then you'd have to pay for a ferry or the bridge back. We drove over from New Brunswick then took the ferry to Nova Scotia, so you could claim it's kind of on the way :wink:

Haha I like what your instructor told you...definitely a good thing, not being able to fall properly actually put me off skiing. I couldn't stop and couldn't fall over to stop either (like I did when i was learning snowboarding) :frown: So I've stayed with snowboarding instead. It's great you were thinking of coming to Vancouver Island in April, you should come! Ski season doesn't finish here until April 22nd :wink: Whatever you do, don't bring a car over though. I was wanting to go over to Vancouver in a few weeks to go skiing at one of the mountains by the city, but the ferry cost is insane. $160 for a return, for two passengers with car!! I'm never going to leave this island haha.

Think my police cert is FINALLY going to be sent off this week for my visa. Hooray! I'm going to change my British drivers license for a British Columbia one tomorrow, and that'll be my last proof of address needed for the application. Can't believe they're going to physically take away my British license to do so though! I'll just have to claim it back when I return to the UK in a few years....

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles :frown: Sorted now though? Yes, I'm a bit scared of going to the doctors here too. I was going to register for BC Medical Care (as you're meant to if you're a resident...that includes working holiday-ers) but then it said I needed to show that I've got a contract for 6 months work in BC. I haven't, and so technically I can't register. Caused a few problems with my boyfriend, since he's Canadian and had to register, and declare that he does not have a common law partner! Dodgy since I'm applying for my next visa with him listed as common law...hmm. I'm in a weird grey area! It's expensive anyway though ($80 a month or something), so maybe I'm glad!
Original post by fiona344
Agrh I can't decide what to do about next year! I really could see myself staying out here longer, BUT they changed the permanent visas, so you know have to have decent work experience or a Canadian phd to qualify under the experience class...neither of which I'm likely to have in 18 months time.

You don't need a PhD for the experience class. Though the experience class is only for working professionals or international students who graduated from a bachelors/masters or diploma from a college in Canada. So I guess having a PH.D will open up more options but I'm not too educated with the experience class system.

Though I know the route young people are taking now to live in Canada is saving up for a masters degree to study in Canada for two years since once you graduate from a college in Canada with at least two years education you automatically get a 3 year work visa which is plenty of time to find a job. Think one of the routes in the experience class is you need at least two years education in Canada followed by one year of working experience for permanent residency.

Though I heard Ontario is planning on making a new immigration rule for master degree/phd students where once they graduate from any university in Ontario they are welcome to apply for residency regardless of having a job or not. Though I think they need to prove they are going to reside in Ontario for the next few years and nowhere else in Canada.
I hate Canada, i'm here currently & am miserable :emo: wish i never came.
Original post by Vybz Kartel

where ya staying?
Original post by ifstatement
where ya staying?

I'm just outside Vancouver in Delta.
I'm just outside Vancouver in Delta.

Nearly anyone would be misreble in Delta :tongue:

Try moving towards Vancouver, that's where all the fun is. Try staying in a hostel downtown, that's where all the internationals tend to make friends when starting out there for a year or travelling.
Reply 466
Original post by ifstatement
Nearly anyone would be misreble in Delta :tongue:

Try moving towards Vancouver, that's where all the fun is. Try staying in a hostel downtown, that's where all the internationals tend to make friends when starting out there for a year or travelling.

I was going to say the same things....don't think I'd be enjoying my time in Canada either if I was in the suburbs (or urban sprawl) of Vancouver.
Reply 467
Thank so much for the travel advice! I need to start planning stuff but am being lazy at the mo :wink:. Have some time off over Easter so Vancouver and the Island here I come! That is crazy prices for leaving but I've heard it's gorgeous so nice place to be 'stuck' :wink:. I find travel prices so high here, which is a bit frustrating.

Yay that you are moving forward with visa stuff, hope it goes through quickly for ya. People seem to be having a stressful time with visas this year :frown:.
I was skyping a friend from home today and she was like the zillion person that has asked me when I am going home/what I am doing next! Argh, I have no clue and feel like I should be sorting my life out but kinds nice seeing what happens. I like being here but am looking forward to going home before the year is out and doing some Europe travelling etc. Feel like I should be booking my flight home at some point before it gets too pricey but I'm fairly relaxed about my plans which I think is good. I want to go to Alaska before I go home but that is it as far as plans go!

Yeah the registering for medical coverage is a bit weird. They recommended I do that at the doctors but I don't think I cover all the points on the website. Plus I don't think I really need it (well fingers crossed). I have had one thing after another these past few weeks, I guess as my immune system was low but have finished antibiotics and am hoping to be back to normal soon. Was still working through it but missed work the past two days as I picked up a bug, annoying as I hate missing work and so so boring being stuck in my room as didn't want to infect my roommates! I guess we can always claim back big medical expenses on travel insurance if something really bad happens? Or so I hope!

Lots of grey areas with all this stuff I feel!

Enjoy the rest of the ski/boarding season, sounds like you are a proper snow bunny! I am hoping to get some more practice in before it ends! Was supposed to go last weekend but was diseased so bailed!

Original post by gemini89
Go to Halifax!! That'll be a nice drive, try and go via as many places as possible...I like Hopewell Rocks in the Bay of Fundy (New Brunswick) & Prince Edward Island as well, if you can go off the route a bit. The bridge over is free, but then you'd have to pay for a ferry or the bridge back. We drove over from New Brunswick then took the ferry to Nova Scotia, so you could claim it's kind of on the way :wink:

Haha I like what your instructor told you...definitely a good thing, not being able to fall properly actually put me off skiing. I couldn't stop and couldn't fall over to stop either (like I did when i was learning snowboarding) :frown: So I've stayed with snowboarding instead. It's great you were thinking of coming to Vancouver Island in April, you should come! Ski season doesn't finish here until April 22nd :wink: Whatever you do, don't bring a car over though. I was wanting to go over to Vancouver in a few weeks to go skiing at one of the mountains by the city, but the ferry cost is insane. $160 for a return, for two passengers with car!! I'm never going to leave this island haha.

Think my police cert is FINALLY going to be sent off this week for my visa. Hooray! I'm going to change my British drivers license for a British Columbia one tomorrow, and that'll be my last proof of address needed for the application. Can't believe they're going to physically take away my British license to do so though! I'll just have to claim it back when I return to the UK in a few years....

Sorry to hear about your medical troubles :frown: Sorted now though? Yes, I'm a bit scared of going to the doctors here too. I was going to register for BC Medical Care (as you're meant to if you're a resident...that includes working holiday-ers) but then it said I needed to show that I've got a contract for 6 months work in BC. I haven't, and so technically I can't register. Caused a few problems with my boyfriend, since he's Canadian and had to register, and declare that he does not have a common law partner! Dodgy since I'm applying for my next visa with him listed as common law...hmm. I'm in a weird grey area! It's expensive anyway though ($80 a month or something), so maybe I'm glad!
Reply 468

Move somewhere else if you are so down :frown:. There are so many lovely places in Canada that I'm sure you would be happier in. Or plan a trip somewhere to cheer you up? My town isn't the nicest but I have met nice people and it's not too far to the mountains so going there always cheers me up. Look on Kijiji for rideshares to other places in Canada or Meetup.com is a good way to met new people.

Good Luck and I hope you feel happier soon.
Reply 469
Hey guys,

I'm currently getting all my stuff together to apply for Visa and noticed that they require 'travel' details for last 5 years on my CV.

I was wondering what they mean by travel, do they mean even holidays within the EU? As in the last 5 years I've only been to Lanzarote once :frown: and dont think this is what they mean by travelling. Should I just leave that out? Or do they require this info?

Anyway would be great if anyone could clear that up for me :smile:
Reply 470
Original post by xamliw
Hey guys,

I'm currently getting all my stuff together to apply for Visa and noticed that they require 'travel' details for last 5 years on my CV.

I was wondering what they mean by travel, do they mean even holidays within the EU? As in the last 5 years I've only been to Lanzarote once :frown: and dont think this is what they mean by travelling. Should I just leave that out? Or do they require this info?

Anyway would be great if anyone could clear that up for me :smile:

I'm a big traveller and I haven't really included much. I worked in New Zealand in 2007/08 so that's obviously on my CV, but otherwise I decided not to include everywhere I've been over the last few years. It's not something I'd have on a normal CV......

That's just my opinion! I'll let you know if I don't get mine! I sent my application off a week ago. This is my second IEC work permit; I got my one last year fine without detailing all my holidays/travels.

Yay that you are moving forward with visa stuff, hope it goes through quickly for ya. People seem to be having a stressful time with visas this year :frown:.
I was skyping a friend from home today and she was like the zillion person that has asked me when I am going home/what I am doing next! Argh, I have no clue and feel like I should be sorting my life out but kinds nice seeing what happens. I like being here but am looking forward to going home before the year is out and doing some Europe travelling etc. Feel like I should be booking my flight home at some point before it gets too pricey but I'm fairly relaxed about my plans which I think is good. I want to go to Alaska before I go home but that is it as far as plans go!
!

Don't let people pressure you in having a set plan in life!! These people are the sort of people who usually end up moaning about their lives and telling you that 'you're so lucky' when you mention you're going away again to live somewhere else...! I've got a number of friends who keep asking what I'm doing after Canada, and it's like well, after my NEXT Canadian visa I'll be heading back to New Zealand...'and then after that?' Australia maybe, not sure! That's years away.

My parents just booked flights to come over, I'm so excited! They got return flights from Gatwick to Vancouver for 300 pounds (tax included), is that insane or what?!

Alaska sounds awesome, I'd like to get up there after spending a bit of time in Yukon next summer :smile:
Reply 471
Thanks, think I'll leave it out as my travelling over past 5 years doesn't seem relevant.
Reply 472
Hey everyone,
Been reading through this thread and the BUNAC website for the past few days and have decided i defos want to take off to Canada for at least a few months later on in 2012/early 2013. Still trying to decide whether or not to go with BUNAC or try it independently, do BUNAC actually give any extra support/is it worth the money? And is the whole applying for a Visa thing as complicated as it seems?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 473
Original post by Poke
Hey everyone,
Been reading through this thread and the BUNAC website for the past few days and have decided i defos want to take off to Canada for at least a few months later on in 2012/early 2013. Still trying to decide whether or not to go with BUNAC or try it independently, do BUNAC actually give any extra support/is it worth the money? And is the whole applying for a Visa thing as complicated as it seems?
Thanks in advance!

I haven't used BUNAC but I've heard a lot about them....and I don't have a high opinion of them really. Up until last year you HAD to apply through BUNAC and since you can now apply direct and fill in the same application form regardless, there really isn't much of a need for the company anymore. Fact is, the BUNAC 'version' of the IEC program is being phased out anyway. They've already closed their Montreal 'SWAP' (advice) centre anyway (with little notice I may add, how nice for the people who paid for that service!) Yes they offer 'help' with the application but to be honest it is pretty straightforward if you're applying from the UK, and anyone can answer your questions on the Facebook group. BUNAC don't seem to be that good at replying to people's emails with questions. Then they sell very expensive flights out to Canada so you can meet fellow BUNAC-ers before you get there, but you could organise this yourself through the Facebook group or just a few hours and check into any big hotel in Toronto or Vancouver anyway. Or even try and speak to other IEC-ers at the airport, on the plane or in the immigration queue....they're actually quite easy to spot. There were about 25 of us on my flight to Vancouver in November.

The advice and support they give once you're there is negligible - I think they give some sort of orientation and advise you where to open bank accounts, how to get a SIM card, and apply for your social insurance number. This info is all very readily found online (I could tell you if you want) and easy to do i.e. walk into Service Canada, ask for social insurance number, wait in the line up, hand over passport! They have computers and printers available for use, something you can also find in libraries or at job search help centres such as Mosaic ...is it really worth 200 odd pounds for that?! Of course there are some people who would say BUNAC was invaluable to them, but on the whole I've heard most negatives. Seriously, Canada is an English speaking country, it's a very developed country, it's easy to find out lots of info online before you even go!

edit - btw, if you're thinking of applying I'd advise you to do it soon! If you don't have your police check done already then you could end up waiting a few weeks for that (with a delay cos of Easter). I'd expect the visas to run out in July time (they were gone in August last year but the program opened earlier this year) and the current wait is a few months.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 474
Hey, I've gone through Bunac for Work America, which I think is pretty similar to Work Canada. The best bit is they give you access to a job directory which can help finding a job, and offer other useful services like help with finding accommodation etc. It's great if you want to make the process a little easier and take off some of the stress. :smile: I'm sure whatever you decide you will have an amazing time in Canada!!
Reply 475
Original post by StacieG
Hey, I've gone through Bunac for Work America, which I think is pretty similar to Work Canada. The best bit is they give you access to a job directory which can help finding a job, and offer other useful services like help with finding accommodation etc. It's great if you want to make the process a little easier and take off some of the stress. :smile: I'm sure whatever you decide you will have an amazing time in Canada!!

As far as I was aware they don't give you a job directory for Work Canada; it's completely different to Work America.

Finding accommodation is as easy as going on hostelbookers.com or looking on craigslist for an apartment. Not sure how BUNAC could make it easier than that! :wink:
Reply 476
Original post by new_romantic
Hey all,

I'm thinking about doing this from September 2012 (well more likely a few months later after I've earnt the required money in the UK).

How did you all go about finding jobs and accomodation? I'm worried a minimum wage job won't cover rent and living expenses..

Where in Canada would anyone reccomend, atm I'm thinking Vancouver
I absolutely freaking love Vancouver, I couldn't recommend it enough. But yeah, a minimum wage ($9.50 in BC) job probably wouldn't cover your expenses. I'm breaking pretty well even but that's on a wage a fair bit higher than $9.50 and sharing a one bedroom apartment (although it is quite a pricey one).

Original post by gemini89
I was going to say the same things....don't think I'd be enjoying my time in Canada either if I was in the suburbs (or urban sprawl) of Vancouver.

Truth! I really love Vancouver but I couldn't stand to live outside of the city, or maybe Burnaby. I've seen quite a bit of Richmond, Surrey and Langley, and I don't like it one bit :P

I was skyping a friend from home today and she was like the zillion person that has asked me when I am going home/what I am doing next! Argh, I have no clue and feel like I should be sorting my life out but kinds nice seeing what happens.
Don't have much to add, but I'm feeling the exact same way, and it was pretty neat to see someone else put it into words. A lot of people back home are hassling me for plans, and I can totally understand why, but at this stage I really couldn't plan too far ahead even if I wanted to. The only thing I know is that I think I'm going to visit home over the summer and then come back for my second IEC visa. I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to stay here after those two years though, which is what really scares me. But that's for another thread :P

Original post by Poke
Hey everyone,
Thanks in advance!
Not worth it, IMO. I was really surprised how easy admin-y things like getting a SIN card and bank account were -- I can hit you up with all the details if you want. And accommodation is totally something you can do yourself. As regards job hunting, maybe they have some postings, but there's also a lot of resources available often aimed at new immigrants...for example, at the Vancouver Library they have tours and help with all their job hunting resources. Depends what kind of a price you put on meeting people through BUNAC I suppose.
Hey there everyone,

I am going to be working in Vancouver for two months this summer. Since I'm 18 (although quite mature looking) I was wondering what the situation is like with ID since the official age is 19.

Therefore I was wondering whether anyone who has been could tell me how strict they (bars, shops etc) are on ID'ing you.

Thanks
Reply 478
Original post by stwmaynard
Hey there everyone,

I am going to be working in Vancouver for two months this summer. Since I'm 18 (although quite mature looking) I was wondering what the situation is like with ID since the official age is 19.

Therefore I was wondering whether anyone who has been could tell me how strict they (bars, shops etc) are on ID'ing you.

Thanks

They're strict. Especially clubs and liquor stores, who will ask you for two pieces of ID most of the time. You may have more luck in bars though.
Reply 479
Original post by stwmaynard
Hey there everyone,

Thanks

They are pretty strict in my experience - bars, liquor stores etc. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest