Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Help with grade boundaries!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with working out grade boundaries as I really can't figure it out!

I just received my results for AS History, Unit 1H (Tsarist Russia) I got a score of 71 and a grade B, but when I went to the AQA website to find out about grade boundaries they mentioned UMS (?) and Scaling (?) So I couldn't work out how far away I was from an A.

Can someone please shed a little light on this for me? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    My first post, so bear with me... I hope I can be helpful ^_^

UMS is the method by which various units of A levels are standardised and weighted against each other.

AQA history unit 1 is out of 100 UMS; the exam paper is out of 72 marks.

The UMS grade boundary for an A is always 80% (and for B 70%, and for C 60%, and so on). Your exam was out of 72 marks.

Therefore for an A you needed:
    80 UMS = 51 marks

You got:
    71 UMS = 45 marks.

(you can see how UMS marks and raw marks are related using http://web.aqa.org.uk/UMS/index.php?id=04

So to summarise rather a long post, you were six marks off an A

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.