The Student Room Group

Aqa buss3+buss4?

What are examiners looking for in the answers? I am retaking Unit 3 in June along with Unit 4 (doing this for the first time) and was wondering if there are any specific techniques available?
i'm doing the same as you but aiming for an A*.

Buss 3: show them instantly you know your stuff. don't bang on with the AO1 knowledge it has a minimal value, but define key words and make sure you demonstrate.

Application is a no brainer apply it to any case study you get don't just say the name of the business, use more than that

Analysis + evaluation. This is where the marks are. Analyse deeper and deeper. Keep on linking the points with "this means that," "furthermore," "but if they," "the effects of this however," and so on. when you make a point say how that effects everything. analyse things in terms of the business, analyse financial data in terms of the previous years and targets and competitors. Analyse in terms of context, recession etc. Analyse everything you can possibly think of. Evaluation = give an opinion make a decision, choose something. If you think they should do one thing. Why? what made you think that? tell the examiner. Is there anything the business could have done that would change your mind? In a different situation would you feel the same?

Buss 4 is pretty much the same but obviously adhere to the topic of Mergers and takeovers. Get researching it now! Oh and you CANNOT get high marks on buss4 without referencing to mergers and takeovers that have happened and knowing these cases well. Learn at least 4 try get about 5/6. Don't learn 1/2. if you learn 1 and that is what the exams based on then your screwed. if the exams based on the one you know but you know one more then you only have one other example that you repeatedly use. it makes it look like you didnt do enough research
Reply 2
Original post by youngzwavey
i'm doing the same as you but aiming for an A*.

Buss 3: show them instantly you know your stuff. don't bang on with the AO1 knowledge it has a minimal value, but define key words and make sure you demonstrate.

Application is a no brainer apply it to any case study you get don't just say the name of the business, use more than that

Analysis + evaluation. This is where the marks are. Analyse deeper and deeper. Keep on linking the points with "this means that," "furthermore," "but if they," "the effects of this however," and so on. when you make a point say how that effects everything. analyse things in terms of the business, analyse financial data in terms of the previous years and targets and competitors. Analyse in terms of context, recession etc. Analyse everything you can possibly think of. Evaluation = give an opinion make a decision, choose something. If you think they should do one thing. Why? what made you think that? tell the examiner. Is there anything the business could have done that would change your mind? In a different situation would you feel the same?

Buss 4 is pretty much the same but obviously adhere to the topic of Mergers and takeovers. Get researching it now! Oh and you CANNOT get high marks on buss4 without referencing to mergers and takeovers that have happened and knowing these cases well. Learn at least 4 try get about 5/6. Don't learn 1/2. if you learn 1 and that is what the exams based on then your screwed. if the exams based on the one you know but you know one more then you only have one other example that you repeatedly use. it makes it look like you didnt do enough research

do u have any notes BUSS4 like how to structure ur answer ....
Original post by kshaf_7
do u have any notes BUSS4 like how to structure ur answer ....

as of this moment in time i don't but i will be writing them up from now on, buss4 structuring is essentially the same. you just have to respond to the question in front of you.

you need to bring analysis and evaluation in abundance. evaluation should be done throughout as well as at the end and analysing examples of takeovers. Ideally you want to have other examples as well as the one your given in the case in every paragraph to show you understand and actually did research.

I usually score quite highly on my essays so the next time i get one for homework i'll type it up and send it to you so you can see how i do it and the mark i get :smile: good luck
just remembered what i have done for buss4.. favourited tutor2u buss4 takeover and mergers section.

Got a number of examples from there - simple links to bbc articles on takeovers like bskyb, virgin, muiler etc.

then get the buss4 pre release thing that tells you 5/6 points you need to know for example. why the takeover happened, the effects on all the different stakeholders, any risks involved etc (hope you know what i'm on about)

Then i do that individually for the different case studies. that allows me to understand the topic more and also understand cases in depth which can be used as examples. The takeover and mergers theme is nice in the sense that its kind of closed as opposed to the recession theme which could bring in lots of your textbook, when you look through your textbook there aren't many sections you need to do well in this years buss4

just grasp takeovers fully including effects evaluation analysis and many examples.
Reply 5
Original post by youngzwavey
as of this moment in time i don't but i will be writing them up from now on, buss4 structuring is essentially the same. you just have to respond to the question in front of you.

you need to bring analysis and evaluation in abundance. evaluation should be done throughout as well as at the end and analysing examples of takeovers. Ideally you want to have other examples as well as the one your given in the case in every paragraph to show you understand and actually did research.

I usually score quite highly on my essays so the next time i get one for homework i'll type it up and send it to you so you can see how i do it and the mark i get :smile: good luck

thanks alot...m like really bad at essay type questions.... i atleast wanna get 80 ums in both buss3 nd 4...
Good luck to u 2...:smile:
Reply 6
Im doing this exam on the 14th june i cant seem to get above a D :colondollar:
any tips on doing welll want a B if possible
Reply 7
For all my exams I have followed the structure:

P1 - Definition of the main 'key term' in the question
P2 - Argument for
P3 - Argument Against
P4 - Evaluation

Here is my buss3 exam structure and notes about the exam:

1 hour 45 minutes (105 minutes)

4 questions:
- one 10 mark question (analysis question)
- two 18 mark questions (evaluation questions)
- one 34 marks question

What you write in questions 1-3 can't be used in question 4. You can refer to things you have said eg calculations - but DO NOT use any of your main points again!

Question 4 Plan

Use headings for each paragraph (eg Case for expanding in the UK)

1st Argument

2nd Argument

Use heading (eg Case for expanding in Romania)

1st Argument

2nd Argument

** For each of the arguments you ideally want one argument from each area of the specification marketing, HR, finance and opps man) **

Use heading (eg. Recommendations)

Clear recommendation
Justify using arguments you have already used initially. Then expand using a new point.
Use a 'however' point (an alternative)
Use an 'it depends' point
Suggest alternatives

Buss 4 'The Perfect Paragraph'

Opens with words from the question for focus
Uses relevant theory to explain and analyse the point
Follows a logical chain of analysis, using connectives
Refers to 'hooks' from the question to form/support points
Containts real business examples and/or evidence that supports the point
Comes back to the question for focus

Evaluation

Make a decision
Thorough justification (keep something back)
Insight (alternatives, question the question, it depends upon, however)

For ALL of the unit exams its really important to learn the key terms!
Reply 8
I got an A in Buss 1, a B in Buss 2, and am retaking Buss 3 in June as well as doing Buss 4
Reply 9
Original post by sj2093
For all my exams I have followed the structure:

P1 - Definition of the main 'key term' in the question
P2 - Argument for
P3 - Argument Against
P4 - Evaluation

Here is my buss3 exam structure and notes about the exam:

1 hour 45 minutes (105 minutes)

4 questions:
- one 10 mark question (analysis question)
- two 18 mark questions (evaluation questions)
- one 34 marks question

What you write in questions 1-3 can't be used in question 4. You can refer to things you have said eg calculations - but DO NOT use any of your main points again!

Question 4 Plan

Use headings for each paragraph (eg Case for expanding in the UK)

1st Argument

2nd Argument

Use heading (eg Case for expanding in Romania)

1st Argument

2nd Argument

** For each of the arguments you ideally want one argument from each area of the specification marketing, HR, finance and opps man) **

Use heading (eg. Recommendations)

Clear recommendation
Justify using arguments you have already used initially. Then expand using a new point.
Use a 'however' point (an alternative)
Use an 'it depends' point
Suggest alternatives

Buss 4 'The Perfect Paragraph'

Opens with words from the question for focus
Uses relevant theory to explain and analyse the point
Follows a logical chain of analysis, using connectives
Refers to 'hooks' from the question to form/support points
Containts real business examples and/or evidence that supports the point
Comes back to the question for focus

Evaluation

Make a decision
Thorough justification (keep something back)
Insight (alternatives, question the question, it depends upon, however)

For ALL of the unit exams its really important to learn the key terms!

Thanks for the tips :smile: what would you say about time management as I always seem to run out of time which means I can never give a full answer to most questions.. in both BUSS3 + BUSS4 :/
Reply 10
For buss 3 give yourself enough time to read the case study and to make notes on it, then divide the time up equally - same for buss 4 really just make sure yo divide the time equally

Try doing some past papers to the times you work out before the exams and pracice untill you're comfortable with the timings
Reply 11
Do we need to know all ratios i know they give you a list of them in the exam but do we need to know what they all mean or just a few important ones?
Reply 12
You ideally need to know all of them
Reply 13
Could someone demonstrate how calculate payback please? Any help is much appreciated, my notes are seriously confusing me!
Reply 14
Original post by jjones
Could someone demonstrate how calculate payback please? Any help is much appreciated, my notes are seriously confusing me!

for payback:
1. calculate the net cash flow for the years of the investment given

2. keep adding up the net cash flows for each year until you pass the cost of the initial investment. This is how many years it will take to pay back.

3. (this is the hardest bit) you have to work out how much you still need to make in the year directly before the investment is repaid and then divide that by the cost of the initial investment. Once you have an answer for this, multiply it by 12 and you'll get how many months it'll take in that year to pay back.

Its kinda hard to describe it in writing but I hope this helps :smile:
Hi guys, I'd just like to know whether you're allowed to take your research articles into the buss4 exam with you, or do you have to remember it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jadder1224
Hi guys, I'd just like to know whether you're allowed to take your research articles into the buss4 exam with you, or do you have to remember it ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have to remember it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending