The Student Room Group

Renewing passport from child to adult... renew/first time applicant?

Hello. I was on a child 5 yr passport which has expired, so i am applying for an adult passport... can I just apply to renew. Or do I have to fill out the sections where I have to fill in my parents details and get a counter-signature?

Or can I leave out those sections as someone simply renewing an adult passport could. Thanks for any help!!
Original post by luc9999
Hello. I was on a child 5 yr passport which has expired, so i am applying for an adult passport... can I just apply to renew. Or do I have to fill out the sections where I have to fill in my parents details and get a counter-signature?

Or can I leave out those sections as someone simply renewing an adult passport could. Thanks for any help!!

From the application form:
First

Choose "First" if you have never had a British Passport before, or if you were previously included as a child on someone else's passport.

That suggests to me that this would be classified as a renewal. Is anyone able to confirm?
I have literally just had this problem and got it checked by post office so I know what you have to do. You just need to treat it as if it were a renewal - so you don't need your parents details, or the countersignature or anything - just your name etc and 2 unsigned photos and your old passport.

I'd recommend using the check and send service offered by the post office, as it is good for peace of mind - the form isn't as clear as it could be!
Reply 3
I have just done this - it is a renewal.
Reply 4
It's a renewal. That's what mine was when I got my adult one last year :yep:
Reply 5
You don't need the countersignature unless you look significantly different. I've just done mine and as my passport photo was taken when I was 8 and I'm now 18 I got it countersigned just to be on the safe side. They're picky but if you don't look much different to your last photo you should be fine without a countersignature.
Reply 6
Original post by saraahj0307
Tiger eyes- Did you also have to fill in section 10 of the form where someone has to confirm they have known you for so many years etc

Don't bump old threads! Your photo must be countersigned and section 10 filled in by your countersignatory.
Original post by IWMTom
Don't bump old threads! Your photo must be countersigned and section 10 filled in by your countersignatory.

Thank you

Latest

Trending

Trending