The Student Room Group

I eat constantly, but cannot put on weight..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheNightmare
To be honest with you, if you want to gain weight you should eat more. What you eat is not a lot at all, well compared to me it is not and I am around 6 feet tall and I weigh 11 stones so my BMI comes to 20.9 which is Normal weight. And according to your average weight your BMI is 20.8 which is Normal weight. And trust me you do not need to get worried about food when you start uni. If you are starting uni like me 2012 September for the first time, then you get maintenance grants which can cover for your food and stuff. I'm assuming you are going to leave home to study at uni. But I'm sure the uni would give out student discount vouchers and stuff, I know you get a student card but you can always buy cheap food from Tesco's and other supermarkets. I do not think you would be out of money. Depending on your household income, I think you can get quite a lot through grants. Make sure you apply for Student Finance when you apply to go to uni.

Btw: Have you applied for uni, I mean are you starting Sept 2012?

This thread is about weight gain, yo.
Reply 21
Firstly, get yourself checked by a doctor just in case.

Secondly, it is perfectly possible to put on weight (in a healthy, non junk food way) on a vegan diet, let alone just a vegetarian one. So please ignore anybody who tells you that you need to eat meat to gain weight. You don't.

I need to go to sleep now but I'll do a proper reply tomorrow evening with info and resources on gaining weight on a vegetarian diet. :smile:
Reply 22
You are eating all low calorie baby foods, high carbs and virtually no protein.

When I was on a heavy bulk I used to do something like this:

Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, waffles, toast with coffee
Pre-Workout Shake: 30-50g whey protein, powdered oats, peanut butter, olive oil
Post-Workout: Something dirty like a large big mac meal with a milkshake
Dinner: Rump steak, potatoes, peas, beetroot with full fat milk
Post-Dinner shake: 30-50g whey protein, powdered oats, peanut butter, olive oil
Supper: Another whole meal (i.e. chile con carne, chicken curry, chicken breast and rice etc.)

Possibly a third shake. 2x RDA multivitamins. Snacks in between meals (fruit, cereal, oat bars etc.)

You most definitely do not have a thyroid problem, you just don't eat enough food and over estimate how much you eat. If you want to gain weight start by adding shakes to your diet with whey, source of carbs (powdered oats), source of fat (peanut butter, teaspoon of olive oil works well). If you pack in like 100g oats, 50g whey with full fat milk and the pb you can slap extra 800 calories onto your diet into one or two milkshakes alone and make it taste good with nesquik or somthing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Hravan
Firstly, get yourself checked by a doctor just in case.

Secondly, it is perfectly possible to put on weight (in a healthy, non junk food way) on a vegan diet, let alone just a vegetarian one. So please ignore anybody who tells you that you need to eat meat to gain weight. You don't.

I need to go to sleep now but I'll do a proper reply tomorrow evening with info and resources on gaining weight on a vegetarian diet. :smile:

What does veganism have to do with anything?

That comment is pretty patronising tbh, he didn't mention being a vegetarian and he clearly needs to up his protein intake and meat is one of the best sources of protein.

Ideally he should take on board information from as many people as possible and not "ignore" anybody.

That post is full of assumption.

EDIT - Just saw he mentioned in another post he is vegetarian, still though my point still stands.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by FluxD
You are eating all low calorie baby foods, high carbs and virtually no protein.

When I was on a heavy bulk I used to do something like this:

Breakfast: Bacon, eggs, sausage, beans, waffles, toast with coffee
Pre-Workout Shake: 30-50g whey protein, powdered oats, peanut butter, olive oil
Post-Workout: Something dirty like a large big mac meal with a milkshake
Dinner: Rump steak, potatoes, peas, beetroot with full fat milk
Post-Dinner shake: 30-50g whey protein, powdered oats, peanut butter, olive oil
Supper: Another whole meal (i.e. chile con carne, chicken curry, chicken breast and rice etc.)

Possibly a third shake. 2x RDA multivitamins. Snacks in between meals (fruit, cereal, oat bars etc.)

You most definitely do not have a thyroid problem, you just don't eat enough food and over estimate how much you eat. If you want to gain weight start by adding shakes to your diet with whey, source of carbs (powdered oats), source of fat (peanut butter, teaspoon of olive oil works well). If you pack in like 100g oats, 50g whey with full fat milk and the pb you can slap extra 800 calories onto your diet into one or two milkshakes alone and make it taste good with nesquik or somthing.

That's a reasonable diet you wrote but realistically even if he could afford it he's not gonna stick to that, he'd have to ease his way into it.

I'm also not a fan of telling total beginners to use protein powders straight away. Supplements should supplement an already in place diet and workout routine.

I also happen to agree with the thyroid thing, there's nothing wrong with him, he just sounds like a normal guy eating a normal-ish diet.
Reply 25
Original post by Wilfred Little
What does veganism have to do with anything?

Because there is a stereotypical view of all vegans being stick-thin and that animal products (dairy mainly) are the only high-fat foods which you have to eat to gain weight. I was trying to point out that if it's possible for vegans to gain weight in a healthy way then it is definitely possible on just a vegetarian diet. (Obviously as long as there are no underlying health problems. )

That comment is pretty patronising tbh, he didn't mention being a vegetarian and he clearly needs to up his protein intake and meat is one of the best sources of protein.

:facepalm: He does mention being vegetarian.

It might be a good source of protein, I'm not denying that. Doesn't mean that it's the only source of protein and as he says he's a vegetarian, telling him to eat meat isn't exactly helpful. :smile:

I'm tired and I need to go to sleep so I was going to do this tomorrow but seeing as you're being like this...

Nuts, legumes, cereals, some seeds, soya products etc etc are all good plant-based sources of protein and then there's dairy and egg products as well.

As for fats...
Olive oil and rapeseed oil are very good sources of mono-unsaturated fats. For polyunsaturates it's mainly sunflower, soya, sesame and corn oils.
Omega-6 in nuts, seeds, soya and corn. Omega-3 is mainly in linseed (flaxseed) but needs to be taken in oil or the seeds need to be ground as we can't digest whole linseeds. Also, found in walnuts and hempseeds. Both 6 and 3 are also in dairy and eggs and leafy green vegetables.
For the saturates it's the obvious dairy products but also palm oil and coconuts.
Oh and avocados are awesome for mono-unsaturates. Actually, avocados are one of the better things for veg*ns to eat when trying to gain weight. They're brilliant.

And I really cba to write all the other stuff out as I've got to wake up in less than 4 hours time.

Ideally he should take on board information from as many people as possible and not "ignore" anybody.

That post is full of assumption.

It's very simple. You don't need to eat meat to gain weight. People who try to say that the only way to gain weight are wrong. I'm not saying to ignore people who advise him to eat meat (although from personal experience there is nothing more annoying when you're vegetarian than people try to get you to eat meat), just to ignore the people who say that eating meat is the only way to gain weight when it categorically isn't.
(edited 12 years ago)
What age are you? And how much physical activity do you do?

- 7 weetabix + 1/2 melon + yoghut 550kcal
- 2 cheese and onion sandwiches (assuming 4 slices of white bread) + apple + yoghurt.. 600kcal
- Bean burger + cheese and quorn fillet + veg = 500kcal
- 2 x monster much + twix + crunchie + 3 x banana + carrot cake + milk + grapefruit juice = = 1,500kcal

Assuming you ate absolutely everything on your plate, and the sandwich was 4 slices of bread this would be about 3,000kcal. If you're 17, and moderately active at your height and weight, you need about 2,500kcal to maintain. Since you're not too far off that, you'd need to calculate you calories every day eating what's normal for you for about 2 weeks and see how they level out.
Original post by fabbykadabra
Okay can people PLEASE not post just to say something like 'you're lucky, just accept it!' because this actually really bothers me. I do NOT feel lucky yet any time I try to ask about this that is the classic response.

I have serious trouble maintaining my weight. I am just over 5'7" and my weight tends to fluctuate between about 8.8st and 9.7st, with the average being around 9.5st. However in order to maintain this weight I have to eat a LOT. If I eat what would be considered normal by many people I lose weight. If I eat my 'reccommended' calories I lose weight.

Just for an example today I ate...
-7 weetabix, a yoghurt and half a honeydew melon for breakfast
-2 cheese & onion sandwiches, an apple and a yoghurt for lunch
-A bean burger, a cheese and quorn fillet, noodles, salad, sweetcorn, peas and green beans for dinner.
-Snacks throughout the day include, 2 packets of monster munch, a twix, a crunchie, 3 bananas, a piece of carrot cake
-Drinks include about a pint of milk, 500ml of grapefruit juice, and maybe 5-6 glasses of water.

I think this is quite a lot of food by most standards (i eat rather large portions) I don't even want to try and guess how many calories that is... Yet I just do not out on weight at all and if I eat less than this, I drop weight really fast.

I'm really worried that when I start uni this will become a major problem as I will not be able to afford this much food. I am scared I will get malnourished or underweight or something.

I just don't understand how it is physically possible to need so much food simply to maintain my current weight. I fear I have something actually wrong with me like my body isn't processing food properly.. because surely no metabolism can be THAT fast?

It could be 'hyperthyroidism'.

Do you have the following symptoms....

"What are the symptoms?

Nervousness, restlessness.
Trembling hands.
Rapid heartbeat.
Feelings of excessive warmth and intolerance of heat.
Hot, sweaty skin.
Weight loss despite increased appetite.
Severe general tiredness.
Muscle pains and muscle tiredness.
Frequent loose stools.
Disturbances of menstruation.
"

You can read more about it here....

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/hyperthyroidism.htm

However you would need a Qualified doctor to examine you, without physical contact we cannot evaluate your situation by an explanation, you would need to seek a doctor as it is something which needs to be examined.

Make sure you see a doctor about it.

GL and thanks.
Reply 28
Original post by TheNightmare
To be honest with you, if you want to gain weight you should eat more. What you eat is not a lot at all, well compared to me it is not and I am around 6 feet tall and I weigh 11 stones so my BMI comes to 20.9 which is Normal weight. And according to your average weight your BMI is 20.8 which is Normal weight. And trust me you do not need to get worried about food when you start uni. If you are starting uni like me 2012 September for the first time, then you get maintenance grants which can cover for your food and stuff. I'm assuming you are going to leave home to study at uni. But I'm sure the uni would give out student discount vouchers and stuff, I know you get a student card but you can always buy cheap food from Tesco's and other supermarkets. I do not think you would be out of money. Depending on your household income, I think you can get quite a lot through grants. Make sure you apply for Student Finance when you apply to go to uni.

Btw: Have you applied for uni, I mean are you starting Sept 2012?

I am starting a Nursing Course in September so I get the NHS bursary and a maintenance loan but from the bursary estimators/calculators (I realise these are not 100% accurate) it doesn't seem like I'm going to get much over the cost of accommodation which is going to be about 4.3-4.8k depending what I get allocated because I have to stay for many extra weeks. That's why I'm paranoid about money I guess, because my family aren't really in a position to help me out financially.

Original post by Hravan
Secondly, it is perfectly possible to put on weight (in a healthy, non junk food way) on a vegan diet, let alone just a vegetarian one.

Okay this is good to know. Thank you. So many people seem to just suggest eating meat.. I was very tall as a kid and I stopped growing quite early and my mum always blames the fact I'm vegetarian but I really don't want to have to eat meat if I can help it.

Everyone giving me tips on diet, thank you. I will try to build more muscle and I will definitely take a look at my food intake more closely in terms of what I am eating instead of just how much. I don't really feel comfortable taking artificial supplements/protein shakes but other than that I will certainly assess my food intake and also try and replace my 'snacks' with things like nuts, seeds and other protein rich foods; would this help?
Something's out of whack if you have to eat that much to be a normal weight. But you don't have to be 9.5 stone, it's not fat but not necessarily normal...I'm just over 5"7 and quite happily 8 stone on light days, and I'm not super thin or anything. It's fine to be able to see bottom ribs. Anyway, don't worry, in your 20s it'll all slow down!
Reply 30
you have to eat more, simple as that. since i started eating 4 sheets of breat with peanut butter every afternoon at aroung 5 additional to what i eat anyway, i put on ~5 kg in about 6 weeks
Reply 31
Original post by makaveli33
It could be 'hyperthyroidism'.

Do you have the following symptoms....

"What are the symptoms?

Nervousness, restlessness.
Trembling hands.
Rapid heartbeat.
Feelings of excessive warmth and intolerance of heat.
Hot, sweaty skin.
Weight loss despite increased appetite.
Severe general tiredness.
Muscle pains and muscle tiredness.
Frequent loose stools.
Disturbances of menstruation.
"

You can read more about it here....

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/hyperthyroidism.htm

However you would need a Qualified doctor to examine you, without physical contact we cannot evaluate your situation by an explanation, you would need to seek a doctor as it is something which needs to be examined.

Make sure you see a doctor about it.

GL and thanks.

I think this describes me...is it serious to have a thyroid problem/do you have to go to the doctor? I get sweaty (my palms are constantly sweaty) excessively tired/have frequent bowel movements throughout the day and can eat stacks of rubbish and gain no weight. But would hate to gain a load of weight if they can medicate it.
Original post by snapper1
I think this describes me...is it serious to have a thyroid problem/do you have to go to the doctor? I get sweaty (my palms are constantly sweaty) excessively tired/have frequent bowel movements throughout the day and can eat stacks of rubbish and gain no weight. But would hate to gain a load of weight if they can medicate it.

Snapper, please do not worry - I based those symptoms on his individual case.

If you read those symptoms, when I am nervous I get sweaty palms and when I do not sleep properly I get excessively tired.

With what you have said, it is more common-sense and less medical.

If you eat Junks, 'Carbs' you will, yes put on weight, but you will be run-down and tired, there are sources to prove this.

I would have a balanced diet, with protein, carbs, fluids, occasional treats for yourself, fruit, vegetables, etcetera, do not please eat junk to gain weight, it is common-sense that you should not do this.

However I would still consult a doctor on how you can gain weight HEALTHILY. If you have other symptoms that you do not feel comfortable talking about here, talk to a qualified GP about it, they can give you advice, they have a job to do for those in need.

But please do not worry and make rash decisions like eating junk, try to eat a balanced diet, junk can lead to diabetes, heart problems and even lethargy.

Try to consult a doctor and please eat a balanced diet.

Thanks
Reply 33
Snapper, please do not worry - I based those symptoms on his individual case.

If you read those symptoms, when I am nervous I get sweaty palms and when I do not sleep properly I get excessively tired.

With what you have said, it is more common-sense and less medical.

If you eat Junks, 'Carbs' you will, yes put on weight, but you will be run-down and tired, there are sources to prove this.

I would have a balanced diet, with protein, carbs, fluids, occasional treats for yourself, fruit, vegetables, etcetera, do not please eat junk to gain weight, it is common-sense that you should not do this.

However I would still consult a doctor on how you can gain weight HEALTHILY. If you have other symptoms that you do not feel comfortable talking about here, talk to a qualified GP about it, they can give you advice, they have a job to do for those in need.

But please do not worry and make rash decisions like eating junk, try to eat a balanced diet, junk can lead to diabetes, heart problems and even lethargy.

Try to consult a doctor and please eat a balanced diet.

Thanks

I'm sweaty 99% of the day, and my palms are constantly wet even if I'm relaxed at home watching tele. I also feel exhausted after about 30 mins of waking up, which is starting to get me down as it makes me look all pale and ill.

I don't eat loads of junk food but I can eat loads and gain no weight whatsoever, just concerned I may have a thyroid problem. I've been to the doctor before for my sweating problem and they put it down to anxiety (but I sweat even when I'm not anxious!) and didnt test me for anything. I might go back and mention it to them, my mum has an under active thyroid so perhaps it's hereditary.
I'm sweaty 99% of the day, and my palms are constantly wet even if I'm relaxed at home watching tele. I also feel exhausted after about 30 mins of waking up, which is starting to get me down as it makes me look all pale and ill.

I don't eat loads of junk food but I can eat loads and gain no weight whatsoever, just concerned I may have a thyroid problem. I've been to the doctor before for my sweating problem and they put it down to anxiety (but I sweat even when I'm not anxious!) and didnt test me for anything. I might go back and mention it to them, my mum has an under active thyroid so perhaps it's hereditary.

The symptoms for 'Hyperthyroidism' and 'Genetic Hyperthyroidism' (HT) differs.

Here are the symptoms for Genetic HT

"Coarseness, thinning of hair
Cold intolerance
Constipation
Weight gain
Joint/muscle pain with weakness
Fatigue
Depression
Brittle finger nails
Hoarseness of voice
Dry skin
Decreased hearing
Menstrual disorders
Thinning of eyebrows
Slow speech
Puffy face "

However, I think you may have an issue with the over-sweating and feeling exhausted. Apologies for the mistake about Junk Food, however if you eat loads (in a balanced way) and nothing changes, you may need medical examination or an evaluation by a doctor, if you are worried talk to your parents and ask them to come with you if possible.

GL!

But let me say something;

When you see symptoms, sometimes you may have a few similar to what happens in your day to day life but this does not necessarily mean you are suffering with this, it is just a guideline.

Physicals or examinations are done based on the following...

" Heredity – If everyone in your family has a heart attack when they are young, it is smart to worry about heart disease early. If they all lived to be 100, then not so much. Discuss the significance of these facts. Some diseases are more significant to have in your family tree than others. Colon cancer, for example, has a strong genetic link, whereas leukemia is not as clearly genetic.
Lifestyle – Do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you spend your time in front of the TV eating cookie dough ice cream? Do you work around asbestos or lead? All of these facts need to be discussed because they can affect your health.
Your Medical History – Diabetes, high blood pressure, past history of cancer, or prolonged use of certain medications will play a big part in determining what has to be monitored or watched out for.
Age and sex – people who are in their 20’s are more likely to die from accidents than they are of cancer. Men have heart disease earlier than women, but women are much more at risk for breast cancer.
"
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
mate your day does not consist of any chicken or meat :confused:
Reply 36
The symptoms for 'Hyperthyroidism' and 'Genetic Hyperthyroidism' (HT) differs.

Here are the symptoms for Genetic HT

"Coarseness, thinning of hair
Cold intolerance
Constipation
Weight gain
Joint/muscle pain with weakness
Fatigue
Depression
Brittle finger nails
Hoarseness of voice
Dry skin
Decreased hearing
Menstrual disorders
Thinning of eyebrows
Slow speech
Puffy face "

However, I think you may have an issue with the over-sweating and feeling exhausted. Apologies for the mistake about Junk Food, however if you eat loads (in a balanced way) and nothing changes, you may need medical examination or an evaluation by a doctor, if you are worried talk to your parents and ask them to come with you if possible.

GL!

But let me say something;

When you see symptoms, sometimes you may have a few similar to what happens in your day to day life but this does not necessarily mean you are suffering with this, it is just a guideline.

Physicals or examinations are done based on the following...

" Heredity – If everyone in your family has a heart attack when they are young, it is smart to worry about heart disease early. If they all lived to be 100, then not so much. Discuss the significance of these facts. Some diseases are more significant to have in your family tree than others. Colon cancer, for example, has a strong genetic link, whereas leukemia is not as clearly genetic.
Lifestyle – Do you smoke? Do you drink? Do you spend your time in front of the TV eating cookie dough ice cream? Do you work around asbestos or lead? All of these facts need to be discussed because they can affect your health.
Your Medical History – Diabetes, high blood pressure, past history of cancer, or prolonged use of certain medications will play a big part in determining what has to be monitored or watched out for.
Age and sex – people who are in their 20’s are more likely to die from accidents than they are of cancer. Men have heart disease earlier than women, but women are much more at risk for breast cancer.
"

Thanks for that. I don't suffer from many of those at all really so I doubt it is genetic. It's just frustrating as i've been to the doctor around 4 times with the sweating issue and at first they prescribed driclor which didn't work because my sweating isn't localised to one area so they tried beta blockers and another medication which is designed to treat IBS but was supposed to ease sweating too (neither worked) so now they've lined me up to get CBT when the sweating is constant, not just a result of anxiety. Very frustrating they've never tested me for anything :/ do you think it's worth going back and asking them to do a blood test to check for thyroid problems?
Go to your doctor, and have a blood test to make sure there's nothing physically wrong. Do you live an active life? If so, then you might find that you're using a lot of the calories as energy meaning you don't have as many left over to gain weight as you thought. Assuming there's nothing wrong, the only thing that you can do is eat more. Try having a spoon or two of peanut butter with each meal, add a bit more with every portion. Nobody is "magic", there is a point where people HAVE to gain weight if they eat enough, you just haven't found that yet.

My brother eats 4,000 cals per day and doesn't put weight on, but that's partly because he's active and must have a fast metabolism (even though I hate saying that because it seems to be an excuse for being thin/fat these days).

When you've got answers from your GP, you should be in more of a position to work out what you need to do.
Thanks for that. I don't suffer from many of those at all really so I doubt it is genetic. It's just frustrating as i've been to the doctor around 4 times with the sweating issue and at first they prescribed driclor which didn't work because my sweating isn't localised to one area so they tried beta blockers and another medication which is designed to treat IBS but was supposed to ease sweating too (neither worked) so now they've lined me up to get CBT when the sweating is constant, not just a result of anxiety. Very frustrating they've never tested me for anything :/ do you think it's worth going back and asking them to do a blood test to check for thyroid problems?

You would need a specific 'Thyroid Blood Test' - I see that there is no genuine confirmation that you have Thyroid and as I said before you would need evaluation from your own GP, as they will personally know you better than I do, once you go, describe what you have problems with (ignoring my conditions I have mentioned over this time, do not mention these), once they tell you what they think, then ask if a thyroid blood test is necessary, I would think they would advise against it, as the NHS cannot allocate its budget to every unbased hypothesis. You would need to have significant display that you do have some of these symptoms in this way to go for a blood test (thyroid), but it doesn't hurt to try.

A blood test may be more general

"http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/bloodsamples.htm"

The above, states in essence that blood samples for red blood cells would analyze your sleep issues which you may have.

Basically, ask if you would need a blood test or blood thyroid test, to your GP, if they say you need one, take it, if they say no, then they would probably know you better than I do, so I would take their advice.

I think everyone requires a blood test ever so often and they need to take it at set intervals, while thyroid blood tests are only necessary for those who specifically need it.

If you have anxiety about the problem and keep worrying, just relax and try to take your mind off it, if the GP says nothing is wrong, it is high likelihood you will be fine.

GL!

I will be heading out now for a while Snapper, I will be back soon, so may not be able to reply immediately if you request more advice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
You would need a specific 'Thyroid Blood Test' - I see that there is no genuine confirmation that you have Thyroid and as I said before you would need evaluation from your own GP, as they will personally know you better than I do, once you go, describe what you have problems with (ignoring my conditions I have mentioned over this time, do not mention these), once they tell you what they think, then ask if a thyroid blood test is necessary, I would think they would advise against it, as the NHS cannot allocate its budget to every unbased hypothesis. You would need to have significant display that you do have some of these symptoms in this way to go for a blood test (thyroid), but it doesn't hurt to try.

A blood test may be more general

"http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_advice/examinations/bloodsamples.htm"

The above, states in essence that blood samples for red blood cells would analyze your sleep issues which you may have.

Basically, ask if you would need a blood test or blood thyroid test, to your GP, if they say you need one, take it, if they say no, then they would probably know you better than I do, so I would take their advice.

I think everyone requires a blood test ever so often and they need to take it at set intervals, while thyroid blood tests are only necessary for those who specifically need it.

If you have anxiety about the problem and keep worrying, just relax and try to take your mind off it, if the GP says nothing is wrong, it is high likelihood you will be fine.

GL!

I will be heading out now for a while Snapper, I will be back soon, so may not be able to reply immediately if you request more advice.

Okay thankyou! I'll book an appointment for tomorrow and see what they say :smile:

Quick Reply