The Student Room Group

Economics applicant thread UCAS 2013

Hey everyone,

I know its early, but the thread last year started around now, and i know there are other budding economists around! Now that we've got January results back (those of us who did them) and just that its half way through the year we probably have a better idea of where we want to apply, so i thought anyone who was thinking of applying in this cycle could ask any questions here, discuss books or university choices, so we culd have it in one place :biggrin:

So i suppose ill start by just saying where im thining of applying in order of preference

Oxford
UCL (L101)
LSE
Warwick
Bristol

incredibly competitive, i know! im preparing for rejections :P
my grades are in my sig, and if anyone wants to discuss books, i'd be up for that too! Especially; '23 things they dont tell you about capatalism' and 'animal spirits'

:biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Was wondering when you were going to start this :wink: I might be a potential reapplication depending on how things turn out, but having been through the cycle once I'm happy to answer questions anyone may have :smile: good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Tateco
Was wondering when you were going to start this :wink: I might be a potential reapplication depending on how things turn out, but having been through the cycle once I'm happy to answer questions anyone may have :smile: good luck.

following after your footsteps, im sure your he will prove to be invaluable :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by tooambitious
Hey everyone,

I know its early, but the thread last year started around now, and i know there are other budding economists around! Now that we've got January results back (those of us who did them) and just that its half way through the year we probably have a better idea of where we want to apply, so i thought anyone who was thinking of applying in this cycle could ask any questions here, discuss books or university choices, so we culd have it in one place :biggrin:

So i suppose ill start by just saying where im thining of applying in order of preference

Oxford
UCL (L101)
LSE
Warwick
other

incredibly competitive, i know! im preparing for rejections :P
my grades are in my sig, and if anyone wants to discuss books, i'd be up for that too! Especially; '23 things they dont tell you about capatalism' and 'animal spirits'

:biggrin:

lool you're probably gonna be the Groat of 2013 :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by funkydee
lool you're probably gonna be the Groat of 2013 :tongue:

i dont think anyone can compare :eek:
Reply 5
i dont think anyone can compare :eek:

There's one each year:wink:
Reply 6

Oxford
UCL (L101)
LSE
Warwick
other

Why Oxford? lol you're currently on 196/200 UMS for Maths... Pretty sure that'll impress Cambridge if you keep it up!
Reply 7
Original post by funkydee
Why Oxford? lol you're currently on 196/200 UMS for Maths... Pretty sure that'll impress Cambridge if you keep it up!

i know :s-smilie:, but i prefer the Oxford course (as crazy as it seems :wink:), hopefully if my teachers mention my UMSs Oxford will take at least some note :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
Aha I will be applying as well. My targets are:

Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham

But not sure if I am still able to get in though,
In January I got A* for A2 Math.
A Econmics U1
But failed Physics U1 (B)

I will be finish A2 Fm this year as well so will be applying with 2 grades, and retake Physics in June hopefully get it right this time, since I misread like all the questions at the first go, I e-mailed them and they replied saying no problem retaking. And I will be doing Politics AS in June as well, so end up with A*(Done)A*(Hopefully) AAB (Hopefully)
Reply 9
Hello there! I will apply for 2013 too.

I'm not doing A-levels so won't be able to answer the grades questions (only if you're doing the ****ty Romanian Baccalaureate too).

At this moment I'm thinking Oxford/Cambridge/LSE, UCL, Warwick, Nottingham and a safe choice (Exeter, Essex, Liverpool or others). The entry requirements for my exam are insanely high (UCL ask for 10 in Maths M1, equivalent to 100% UMS at FM A-level), this is why I need to apply to an insurance who asks for minimum 8-8.5.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by asas78978
Aha I will be applying as well. My targets are:

Cambridge
LSE
UCL
Warwick
Nottingham

But not sure if I am still able to get in though,
In January I got A* for A2 Math.
A Econmics U1
But failed Physics U1 (B)

I will be finish A2 Fm this year as well so will be applying with 2 grades, and retake Physics in June hopefully get it right this time, since I misread like all the questions at the first go, I e-mailed them and they replied saying no problem retaking. And I will be doing Politics AS in June as well, so end up with A*(Done)A*(Hopefully) AAB (Hopefully)

What are your UMS like?
Reply 11
Original post by Tateco
What are your UMS like?

My UMS is horrible, I know...

Maths:

C1 95 C2 91 C3 92 C4 90 M1 82 S1 72(Hate this rubbish module) Did them all before yr 12

Physics U1 got 86 misread all questions! Prepare to ace both U1 and U2 in June.

Economics U1 got 86, misread a 4 marker! prepare to ace the second paper.

Prepare to ace S2 M2 FP1 FP2 FP3 and flop D1.
Yeah...:frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
My UMS is horrible, I know...

Maths:

C1 95 C2 91 C3 92 C4 90 M1 82 S1 72(Hate this rubbish module) Did them all before yr 12

Physics U1 got 86 misread all questions! Prepare to ace both U1 and U2 in June.

Economics U1 got 86, misread a 4 marker! prepare to ace the second paper.

Prepare to ace S2 M2 FP1 FP2 FP3 and flop D1.
Yeah...:frown:

You need to realise that you will be ranked a lot lower UMS wise than other Cambridge applicants and so you will have to make up your application in other areas. I averaged over 96% in my top 3 AS levels and didn't get into Cambridge, looks like I'm about to be rejected by UCL as well considering I haven't heard anything and their last open day is this week (they asked for UMS scores), I know it's not the only factor but just something to consider, you still have time to make it up, though.
Reply 13
just wondering i'm deciding on a levels and can anyone quote me if you are applying for economics but aren't taking it for a level but your school still offers it.
Reply 14
Original post by Tateco
You need to realise that you will be ranked a lot lower UMS wise than other Cambridge applicants and so you will have to make up your application in other areas. I averaged over 96% in my top 3 AS levels and didn't get into Cambridge, looks like I'm about to be rejected by UCL as well considering I haven't heard anything and their last open day is this week (they asked for UMS scores), I know it's not the only factor but just something to consider, you still have time to make it up, though.

I know I did realised that ages ago, but I won't consider Cambridge as very likely for me, and my mate who is upper sixth got his offer from LSE and UCL by having much worse math UMS than me, so I believe it is also depends on other factors such as teacher ref and PS. He's got a awesome PS, and A* in EPQ, so I need to get that. Beside my circumstance enable me to fill in special access form, they replied to me saying that, since I don't know any English 3 years ago. Well at least Warwick don't care about UMS.
Reply 15
I know I did realised that ages ago, but I won't consider Cambridge as very likely for me, and my mate who is upper sixth got his offer from LSE and UCL by having much worse math UMS than me, so I believe it is also depends on other factors such as teacher ref and PS. He's got a awesome PS, and A* in EPQ, so I need to get that. Beside my circumstance enable me to fill in special access form, they replied to me saying that, since I don't know any English 3 years ago. Well at least Warwick don't care about UMS.

Just wanted to make sure you had some perspective but it sounds like you've already done your research, also, what happened to your friend won't necessarily happen to you even if you have identical grades, there is always an element of luck with these things as well (as unfair as that is!)
Reply 16
Original post by Tateco
Just wanted to make sure you had some perspective but it sounds like you've already done your research, also, what happened to your friend won't necessarily happen to you even if you have identical grades, there is always an element of luck with these things as well (as unfair as that is!)

And do you know how much weight will they put on the Extra curriculars and work experience related to the subjects? I was told they are useless but not sure still.
Original post by non
just wondering i'm deciding on a levels and can anyone quote me if you are applying for economics but aren't taking it for a level but your school still offers it.

some universities (Camb and LSE i think) like it, but it wont be a deciding factor i dont think, ive seen people get into both without taking econ (and their school offers it) its probably less important than FM at bothe universities (although this is hearsay, i dont have the official party line)
Reply 18
And do you know how much weight will they put on the Extra curriculars and work experience related to the subjects? I was told they are useless but not sure still.

It can't hurt, it's something to demonstrate your interest and talk about in your personal statement.
Reply 19
How much would talking about investing in the stock market and getting a summer internship as a broker in my PS help my application?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest