The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9080
Original post by Joeyy1181
You know how soas is part of the university of london like ucl, kings and etc, apparently you can go to specific lectures/classes at the other UOL unis. I heard this at the open day :s-smilie:.

Oh I have no idea about that, sorry.
Reply 9081
I have a UCL geog + econ open day invite tomorrow. Any words of advice or pointers on what to expect etc? Anyone out there who went for an open day but got rejected?
Let me know asap please. Congratulations to those with an offer and commiserations to those who got rejected.
Original post by Joeyy1181
You know how soas is part of the university of london like ucl, kings and etc, apparently you can go to specific lectures/classes at the other UOL unis. I heard this at the open day :s-smilie:.

That deal is between UCL , LSE and imperial students only but not SOAS . Imperial students come to ucl for certain modules especially engineering etc so do ucl students . LSE students do the same with UCL on economics and business related courses , i have my mate who attends some modules at lse and also some lse students who attend our lectures for certain modules . It seems its about the G5 thingy but SOAS do the same with the likes of Royal Holloway , Queen Mary etc .
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9083
Original post by Joni V
I have a UCL geog + econ open day invite tomorrow. Any words of advice or pointers on what to expect etc? Anyone out there who went for an open day but got rejected?
Let me know asap please. Congratulations to those with an offer and commiserations to those who got rejected.

You're pretty much guaranteed an offer if you go to the open day. I went today and it was just a boring lecture followed by a tour.
Original post by zxh800
You're pretty much guaranteed an offer if you go to the open day. I went today and it was just a boring lecture followed by a tour.

Was the tour at all interesting? I slipped off after the talk
Reply 9085
Original post by Acerbic
Was the tour at all interesting? I slipped off after the talk

Me and a friend slipped off pretty early on in the tour as we were close to the station so I can't say really. For the part we did stay, we walked through where a cafe and the science library were. However, we slipped off as our guide took the group towards the main library (the one in the UCL logo) which I'd seen before as I had access to it over the summer for my EPQ. Not sure where they went afterwards though.
We left during the tours as well... Seems like most people thought it was a waste of time :tongue:
Original post by stefl14
Just to say I also got rejected from Warwick. Not really fussed because I wasn't going to go anyway but anyone who hasn't received their rejection tonight still has hope!

I still haven't heard from them for L100. I'm really really getting anxious at the moment because without them I have to rely on Bath, who just rejected a friend who has significantly better grade predictions than me...

Do you mind me asking what grades/predictions you got, and just a general run-down of your application and stance in this process?

Also do you think Warwick do batch rejections? Or may they still be doing them up to March 31st :angry:
Reply 9088
Original post by Chronoscon
I still haven't heard from them for L100. I'm really really getting anxious at the moment because without them I have to rely on Bath, who just rejected a friend who has significantly better grade predictions than me...

Do you mind me asking what grades/predictions you got, and just a general run-down of your application and stance in this process?

Also do you think Warwick do batch rejections? Or may they still be doing them up to March 31st :angry:

Come to Bath! :biggrin: Jk I don't know about how Warwick processes applications, actually wait I do. Slowly... Just hang on and good luck :smile:
Original post by Yash13
Come to Bath! :biggrin: Jk I don't know about how Warwick processes applications, actually wait I do. Slowly... Just hang on and good luck :smile:

I live in Bath lol :biggrin:

That's why I want out of this place right now - just hope I get Warwick offer :colone:
Reply 9090
I live in Bath lol :biggrin:

That's why I want out of this place right now - just hope I get Warwick offer :colone:

Oh lol :frown: Why don't you like it? Or just generally want a change?
Original post by Yash13
Oh lol :frown: Why don't you like it? Or just generally want a change?

Not really that I dont like it, that sorta came out wrong.

And Bath is a really good university for Economics, with high graduate employment prospects. I just always preferred Warwick because it's higher up the league table and when I went on their open day i found it very hard to fault anything.

Are you the same guy who got rejected from warwick yesterday? Do you mind me asking what your grade profile overview is at this point? I'm just trying to gauge Warwicks tolerance levels at this stage of the application process.

For the record, i got 8A*, 2A for GCSE, then AAAB AS levels, A*AA predictions, and it's now almost certain i will get A*A*A.

I think I'm still in for a chance, but the more I lurk these threads, the more I think my whole application is just 'meh' :frown:
Reply 9092
Not really that I dont like it, that sorta came out wrong.

And Bath is a really good university for Economics, with high graduate employment prospects. I just always preferred Warwick because it's higher up the league table and when I went on their open day i found it very hard to fault anything.

Are you the same guy who got rejected from warwick yesterday? Do you mind me asking what your grade profile overview is at this point? I'm just trying to gauge Warwicks tolerance levels at this stage of the application process.

For the record, i got 8A*, 2A for GCSE, then AAAB AS levels, A*AA predictions, and it's now almost certain i will get A*A*A.

I think I'm still in for a chance, but the more I lurk these threads, the more I think my whole application is just 'meh' :frown:

:biggrin: Oh that makes sense. I haven't been to Warwick just applied from various recommendations.

Yeah thats me. :frown:

GCSE: 5A*, 5A, 1B.

AS: AAAA

A2 Achieved : A*

A2 Predictions: A*A*A*

Hope that helps. :smile:

Don't worry I'm sure your luck will be better than mine.
Original post by Yash13
:biggrin: Oh that makes sense. I haven't been to Warwick just applied from various recommendations.

Yeah thats me. :frown:

GCSE: 5A*, 5A, 1B.

AS: AAAA

A2 Achieved : A*

A2 Predictions: A*A*A*

Hope that helps. :smile:

Don't worry I'm sure your luck will be better than mine.

This is frustrating as hell. Everyone I know seems to be having all these A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A predictions for A2 and yet I'm stuck with a lousy A*AA prediction, when it's entirely possible that I will end up with A*A*A* now.

No chance I'm getting in if you got rejected with that. I'm so bloody screwed. :angry::angry:
Reply 9094
This is frustrating as hell. Everyone I know seems to be having all these A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A predictions for A2 and yet I'm stuck with a lousy A*AA prediction, when it's entirely possible that I will end up with A*A*A* now.

No chance I'm getting in if you got rejected with that. I'm so bloody screwed. :angry::angry:

LOOL. Nah I think you have a good chance. Don't lose hope. Good luck.
Original post by Yash13
LOOL. Nah I think you have a good chance. Don't lose hope. Good luck.

Thanks and I appreciate the vote of confidence, but really why though?

Just look at my profile compared to yours. Ignoring GCSEs, I just suck balls. The only way I have half a shot is if my personal statement really is as good as I intended, and if they dont give two sh*** about A2 predictions.
Reply 9096
Thanks and I appreciate the vote of confidence, but really why though?

Just look at my profile compared to yours. Ignoring GCSEs, I just suck balls. The only way I have half a shot is if my personal statement really is as good as I intended, and if they dont give two sh*** about A2 predictions.

No problem.

It depends on a large variety of factors they consider that we may not think are as important. For example, your subject combination. What grades you got in specific modules. Personal statement and school reference.

Have you taken further maths? That is the only area I can think my post GCSE application was lacking. Otherwise I think they may be placing a lot of emphasis on GCSE.

I told them I got 100% in my Economics Unit 3 January Exam. Next day rejection. I am not sure what went wrong but I have asked and will let you know if you wish, when I get a response. :smile:
Original post by Yash13
No problem.

It depends on a large variety of factors they consider that we may not think are as important. For example, your subject combination. What grades you got in specific modules. Personal statement and school reference.

Have you taken further maths? That is the only area I can think my post GCSE application was lacking. Otherwise I think they may be placing a lot of emphasis on GCSE.

I told them I got 100% in my Economics Unit 3 January Exam. Next day rejection. I am not sure what went wrong but I have asked and will let you know if you wish, when I get a response. :smile:

Cheers, this all helps a lot.

For the record, Im doing Maths, Economics and Geography for A2. I also emailed them with my January results, because I got a 100%er in Geography, hence making an A* almost dead certain (70% needed in summer...)

I didn't do further maths, because i thought it would only stunt my chances for Oxbridge, and that's why i steered clear of them. I excelled in Economics in the first year, and did get 100% in one module, and 92% in the other, but my Maths scores were pretty meh, averaging at something like 86% overall for AS.

I think based on their standard offer and placeholder, I have a good chance, it's just I keep getting horribly put off when applicants like yourself get rejected with what seems like a Cambridge-level application.

I would be interested to see what Warwick say regarding your rejection. Still just fingers crossed for now. I'm hoping I'll get something from them by the end of this week. :s-smilie:
Reply 9098
Cheers, this all helps a lot.

For the record, Im doing Maths, Economics and Geography for A2. I also emailed them with my January results, because I got a 100%er in Geography, hence making an A* almost dead certain (70% needed in summer...)

I didn't do further maths, because i thought it would only stunt my chances for Oxbridge, and that's why i steered clear of them. I excelled in Economics in the first year, and did get 100% in one module, and 92% in the other, but my Maths scores were pretty meh, averaging at something like 86% overall for AS.

I think based on their standard offer and placeholder, I have a good chance, it's just I keep getting horribly put off when applicants like yourself get rejected with what seems like a Cambridge-level application.

I would be interested to see what Warwick say regarding your rejection. Still just fingers crossed for now. I'm hoping I'll get something from them by the end of this week. :s-smilie:

Congrats that's awesome. Your application is similar to mine in terms of your UMS, although I did not fill in UMS for my UCAS application. However, it does not mean the outcome will be the same. They look for very specific things, which I obviously lacked.

I felt my Maths average was pretty bad about 86 as well but perhaps it wasn't that then.

Yeah thanks, that is what I thought. I had the idea that I had a shot at Cambridge. Got rejected by them, then Durham and then Warwick. Real bad run.

Yeah so am I! :L Yeah good luck.
Original post by Yash13
Congrats that's awesome. Your application is similar to mine in terms of your UMS, although I did not fill in UMS for my UCAS application. However, it does not mean the outcome will be the same. They look for very specific things, which I obviously lacked.

I felt my Maths average was pretty bad about 86 as well but perhaps it wasn't that then.

Yeah thanks, that is what I thought. I had the idea that I had a shot at Cambridge. Got rejected by them, then Durham and then Warwick. Real bad run.

Yeah so am I! :L Yeah good luck.

Oh and, i've already been rejected by Durham so far.. Not looking fantastic for me at the moment..

Having said that, is it worth mentioning that Exeter gave me an AAA offer, when they gave this other guy A*AA offer, and he had further maths, and A*A*A*A prediction? It was just something I noticed. What subjects did you do out of interest?

Latest

Trending

Trending