The Student Room Group

Exeter or Sussex?

Poll

UNI: Exeter or Sussex?

I've applied to study English at uni and have narrowed it down to either Exeter (A*AA) or Sussex (AAA). WHERE SHOULD I GO? Any advice would be great!

EDIT: At the moment, Exeter has twice as many votes as Sussex. VOTERS: it would be v. helpful for me if you could articulate why you chose whichever one you chose. THANKS SO MUCH! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well the Sussex campus is right next to Brighton. Pretty much everyone I know in Brighton has great things to say about it, and same with pretty much everyone I know who has visited Brighton. I don't know much about Exeter, but Brighton is a very good place to be right now, especially for a student. Very lively, lots of cafes and pubs, a beach and a generally Bohemian atmosphere. I'd be surprised to hear Exeter has a good a student life as Brighton. If I wasn't here right on the other side of England in Newcastle University, I think Brighton is definitely the place I'd want to be.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Exeter for ranking
Reply 3
I know, that's my dilemma... Exeter is, let's be honest, a pretty boring place but the fact it's higher regarded is a big factor. But Brighton would be SO sweet to be a student, and Sussex isn't a bad uni either. Decisions, desicions...

lols why the neg?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by pellejema
I know, that's my dilemma... Exeter is, let's be honest, a pretty boring place but the fact it's higher regarded is a big factor. But Brighton would be SO sweet to be a student, and Sussex isn't a bad uni either. Decisions, desicions...

As long as you do well and get a 2:1 or a First, I don't think you having chosen Sussex Uni over Exeter Uni is going to sway an employer. Sussex is consistently in the Top 20 Uni's in the country, and Exeter is only ever a few places ahead (If not on level with Sussex).

Basically, the difference in rankings shouldn't be significant enough to sway your decision and there is no point in going to a uni you are not going to enjoy or even hate. If you want to be in Brighton, be in Brighton.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
You make a good point. Thank youuu :smile:
Reply 6

Hiya! I go to Exeter. It's pretty good and the teaching is quite good (what subject will you be doing?) too. There's a lot of fun to be had, contrary to popular belief. It really depends on what's your priority, though. I mean, it's not exactly known for being a clubbing city but it is really pleasant and a lovely area to live in. The only problem I have is that it is a bit elitist at times :\ and there are loads of hills. We have one hill on campus lovingly known as Cardiac Hill. Says it all...
Reply 7
Original post by jazzykinks
Hiya! I go to Exeter. It's pretty good and the teaching is quite good (what subject will you be doing?) too. There's a lot of fun to be had, contrary to popular belief. It really depends on what's your priority, though. I mean, it's not exactly known for being a clubbing city but it is really pleasant and a lovely area to live in. The only problem I have is that it is a bit elitist at times :\ and there are loads of hills. We have one hill on campus lovingly known as Cardiac Hill. Says it all...

Ah good to have the perspective from a current student! I'm hoping to do English, which subject do you do? Yeah, Exeter is definitely a nice place. I live in the West Country at the moment though - a 'nice' place, but certainly not the most interesting (also means I'm used to the hills)! I'm serious about my studies but I also want a good time, if you know what I mean.

And what kind of elitist? I've read all about the 'rah's on here, but not really sure how bad to expect it? Thanks for replying :smile:
Reply 8
Ah good to have the perspective from a current student! I'm hoping to do English, which subject do you do? Yeah, Exeter is definitely a nice place. I live in the West Country at the moment though - a 'nice' place, but certainly not the most interesting (also means I'm used to the hills)! I'm serious about my studies but I also want a good time, if you know what I mean.

And what kind of elitist? I've read all about the 'rah's on here, but not really sure how bad to expect it? Thanks for replying :smile:

Philosophy and Italian :smile: I know quite a few people that are doing English actually, they really like the course. I think Exeter has a good balance of both and it's all about knowing where to go on what nights, really. There are also some hidden gems here! Most freshers do all the same things but if you explore a bit you find some great nights out.

It's actually kind of true :\ it really depends. There are quite a lot of snobs and I get looked down on myself, but I'm not too bothered if people just want to be prejudiced. It's all about finding good people to be friends with :smile: It also depends what halls you're in; some halls are full of snobs, others are really chill and lovely x
Reply 9
People on here really don't understand prestige. It's not like we're comparing Oxford with Brookes - Sussex and Exeter are really similar in terms of rankings.

Yes, Exeter is now RG and a little higher in rankings, but by no means is Sussex inferior. In the 2008 RAE they were one place apart, again demonstrating that they're pretty equal.

Bottom line - follow your gut instict. they're both solid universities that i'm sure you'll enjoy :smile:
Reply 10

I wouldn't say that Exeter is detrimentally elitist, yes there are those who have their way paid for them and act as though anyone not in that situation are below them, but the vast majority of students are perfectly normal down to earth people. The more "rah" types seem to congregate together, so it's very easy to find people who aren't like that and just ignore those who look down on people due to their background. :smile:
Reply 11

If you already live in the West Country take the opportunity to go to Sussex. It sounds like you are hungry to try something/somewhere new in life. The difference in placements in the tables is minimal. With English it is less important where you go in some ways as you are not seeking to use the degree to get into a law firm and the like. A good course and a good end result will be fine and its hard later in life to get the chance to go live somewhere and just try it out. Unless the Exeter course really attracts you more in terms of content then Sussex sounds great.

:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Jemeter
I wouldn't say that Exeter is detrimentally elitist, yes there are those who have their way paid for them and act as though anyone not in that situation are below them, but the vast majority of students are perfectly normal down to earth people. The more "rah" types seem to congregate together, so it's very easy to find people who aren't like that and just ignore those who look down on people due to their background. :smile:

People are always saying this so I think we need a collective term for a group of Rah's...

Reply 13
Original post by catoswyn
People are always saying this so I think we need a collective term for a group of Rah's...

One I've heard before is a "Daddy's Land Rover" of rahs... :tongue:
Reply 14
Ahh thanks for the advice everyone. Trouble is I have very confused gut instincts... I wish someone would just choose for me! x
Before anyone says 'Exeter's now in the Russell Group', think twice. Personally I'd go for Sussex for location and it's also increasing in the tables year on year if that means anything to you. You're doing English, which is competitive as it is, so if you're good at writing, you'll get a job anywhere :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by sarah1345
Before anyone says 'Exeter's now in the Russell Group', think twice. Personally I'd go for Sussex for location and it's also increasing in the tables year on year if that means anything to you. You're doing English, which is competitive as it is, so if you're good at writing, you'll get a job anywhere :smile:

Yeah, the location is a huge selling point for me. The real question for me now is whether it really does make no difference to my future applications if one is a Russell Group uni and the other isn't?
Yeah, the location is a huge selling point for me. The real question for me now is whether it really does make no difference to my future applications if one is a Russell Group uni and the other isn't?

It may have the smallest of impacts, but Sussex is probably high up there on employers lists of universities; the ones they wish to target. It will have little effect with one being in RG and one being in '94 Group.

I could imagine experience having a far, far bigger role to play when your seeking for jobs, maybe we'll see you on BBC News at some point :tongue: Make sure you get some published work etc. if you want to be a writer and go into the industry, local newspapers are good places to start.
Reply 18
Original post by catoswyn
If you already live in the West Country take the opportunity to go to Sussex. It sounds like you are hungry to try something/somewhere new in life. The difference in placements in the tables is minimal. With English it is less important where you go in some ways as you are not seeking to use the degree to get into a law firm and the like. A good course and a good end result will be fine and its hard later in life to get the chance to go live somewhere and just try it out. Unless the Exeter course really attracts you more in terms of content then Sussex sounds great.

You make a really good point. The West Country is nice enough, but having lived here for 18 years it's true that I'm up for something livelier! The courses are quite similar I think, which makes it really difficult for me to make an executive decision. It's essentially: awesome place with a good reputation versus nice place with an awesome reputation. Hmmm.
Reply 19
Original post by sarah1345
It may have the smallest of impacts, but Sussex is probably high up there on employers lists of universities; the ones they wish to target. It will have little effect with one being in RG and one being in '94 Group.

I could imagine experience having a far, far bigger role to play when your seeking for jobs, maybe we'll see you on BBC News at some point :tongue: Make sure you get some published work etc. if you want to be a writer and go into the industry, local newspapers are good places to start.

Haha, in my dreams! :tongue: Yeah, you're right. Work experience is pretty much essential and the South East beats the South West in terms of opportunities for that sort of work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest