The Student Room Group

Moroccan 16, kills herself because judge forced her to marry her RAPIST

Angry Moroccans are demanding a change to the country's strict Islamic penal code after a 16-year-old girl killed herself after being forced to marry her rapist.
An online petition, a Facebook page and countless tweets expressed horror over the suicide of Amina Filali, who swallowed rat poison on Saturday in protest at her marriage to the man who raped her a year earlier.
Article 475 of the Moroccan penal code allows for the 'kidnapper' of a minor to marry his victim to escape prosecution, and it has been used to justify a traditional practice of making a rapist marry his victim to preserve the honour of the woman's family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114884/Moroccan-girl-16-kills-judge-forced-marry-man-RAPED-her.html

I find it scary that Morroco made an application once to be part of the EU.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
shame i always though Morocco was a nice civilized and very westernised country when i went there.
Reply 2
Original post by cl_steele
shame i always though Morocco was a nice civilized and very westernised country when i went there.

There is nothing western about it, it is majority Muslims
Reply 3
How disgusting. What 'honour' would be left for the girl or her family, when she has to be married to someone who did something so horrible to her.

How these laws and such can still be upheld in this day and age is beyond me, regardless of whether the law is based on tradition/religion/history.
Reply 4
Very sick and disturbing, poor girl. Something needs to be done about these woman abusing, sick, misogynistic laws in these countries. Why are they so backward? Why do they have laws like this? I honestly dont understand.

How can they consistently condemn women to living hell?
Reply 5
Original post by One Nation

And the penny drops.

Still, a very sad story which should have been prevented.
This is truly awful :frown:
The trauma and emotion that she must have experienced is pretty incomprehensible, it's hard to believe this kind of court ruling could be passed in the 21st century.
thats ****ed up :s-smilie:
This is sick.
It's time that countries like this changed their backwards loop-hole rules that allow people the get away with things like this, this is the 21st century and that wasn't justice for a rape victim.
Reply 10

what does that have to do with it being un-westernised?
Reply 11
Original post by Tahooper
And the penny drops.

Your quick are'nt you -

Angry Moroccans are demanding a change to the country's strict Islamic penal code after a 16-year-old girl killed herself after being forced to marry her rapist.
Reply 12

Western and Muslims are obviously mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

This is a sickening story.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13

I am not going to waste my time explaining it if you need to ask
People actually believe this ****?
Reply 15
An online petition, a Facebook page and countless tweets expressed horror over the suicide of Amina Filali, who swallowed rat poison on Saturday in protest at her marriage to the man who raped her a year earlier.
Article 475 of the Moroccan penal code allows for the 'kidnapper' of a minor to marry his victim to escape prosecution, and it has been used to justify a traditional practice of making a rapist marry his victim to preserve the honour of the woman's family.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2114884/Moroccan-girl-16-kills-judge-forced-marry-man-RAPED-her.html

I find it scary that Morroco made an application once to be part of the EU.

first of all i think its disgraceful what has happened but i have to point out
for an Islamic marriage to take place the families have to agree, what happened was not in the best interests of the child but her parents/guardians decided. so blaming Islamic law will not get you anywhere because im sure the guy if he would be punished by islamic law, i think he would be whipped 100 times and exiled from the country.
Reply 16
Original post by ak137
Western and Muslims are obviously mutually exclusive. :rolleyes:

This is a sicking story.

I am glad that you agree.
Reply 17
I am glad that you agree.

You sarcasm detector failed.
Reply 18
Original post by shush
first of all i think its disgraceful what has happened but i have to point out
for an Islamic marriage to take place the families have to agree, what happened was not in the best interests of the child but her parents/guardians decided. so blaming Islamic law will not get you anywhere because im sure the guy if he would be punished by islamic law, i think he would be whipped 100 times and exiled from the country.

Islamic law does not punish rape,it punishes sex outside marriage
Reply 19

Probably because most Muslim countries are about as far from western as we are in distance from Hawaii.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending