The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know Gallium trains there and there's supposedly a very good new underground gym just opened near to where I live offering 12 months membership for £95 which I haven't seen yet but I'll have a look probably at both during Easter to see whether I can train for a couple of months during the summer holidays.

There needs to be a Birmingham lifting team to take on the London, South West and Notts guys. Like the Notts lifting crew on the UK misc.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tango189
I'm a full time student at the uni, went there once just to have a look during Freshers week and wouldn't recommend it as it's pretty full and I wouldn't say it's worth the £180 for gym alone for students, not sure how much it is for non students. I would look at Ironworks gym which is quite close to the uni. Apparently the 24 hour gym in town is big but doesn't have many benches/squat racks etc not that I think the squat racks will be taken - also pretty cheap too. Train takes about five minutes from the university to town so gyms around town should be too far. Do you know which particular area you're going to moving to?

powerlifters gym is only 5 mins from town....serious
I'm a full time student at the uni, went there once just to have a look during Freshers week and wouldn't recommend it as it's pretty full and I wouldn't say it's worth the £180 for gym alone for students, not sure how much it is for non students. I would look at Ironworks gym which is quite close to the uni. Apparently the 24 hour gym in town is big but doesn't have many benches/squat racks etc not that I think the squat racks will be taken - also pretty cheap too. Train takes about five minutes from the university to town so gyms around town should be too far. Do you know which particular area you're going to moving to?

Harborne.

I also think there is another training room at the uni that has got kit in. But I'm pretty sure it is used by a PT to train people and not anyone can use it.

I will google ironwork's and see where it is.
Original post by Gallium

I only got a bus pass atm lol and it's about 15-20 minutes into town for me, 10 min walk to current gym.
Original post by McHumpy92
Harborne.

I also think there is another training room at the uni that has got kit in. But I'm pretty sure it is used by a PT to train people and not anyone can use it.

I will google ironwork's and see where it is.

There's a building called the old gymnasium but I haven't been inside it, not sure if it still has equipment or whether it's like a school sports hall.
There's a building called the old gymnasium but I haven't been inside it, not sure if it still has equipment or whether it's like a school sports hall.

This place, he says he works out of the uni and you have to pay for PT, but I'm not sure if he has use of those facilities at all time. Due to my arrogance I have automatically assumed the lady on the the desk fancies me also, so am going to try and see if I do get to use it.

http://gorilla-pt.com/
I only got a bus pass atm lol and it's about 15-20 minutes into town for me, 10 min walk to current gym.

fair do's..... i travel around 45mins to get their sometimes longer if trains delayed.

once it took me 2 hour lol.

i may change gyms as the travel is to time consuming......but theirs no decent local gyms ;(
Original post by Gallium

I think I will go there about once a month if I can be bothered, to maybe use some strongman kit and have a look around.
Original post by Gallium
fair do's..... i travel around 45mins to get their sometimes longer if trains delayed.

once it took me 2 hour lol.

i may change gyms as the travel is to time consuming......but theirs no decent local gyms ;(

Are you at university of birmingham as well? what is so bad about the gym? just how busy it is?

The equipment seems good.
Are you at university of birmingham as well? what is so bad about the gym? just how busy it is?

The equipment seems good.

its quite busy tbf, i prefer training without so many people....heck at pls gym theirs 2 rooms one with all the strongman/pl equipment and the other with generic equipment.....the strongman room is pretty empty most the time
Original post by Gallium
its quite busy tbf, i prefer training without so many people....heck at pls gym theirs 2 rooms one with all the strongman/pl equipment and the other with generic equipment.....the strongman room is pretty empty most the time

If it was my gym I would have the strongman kit in lock-up and have that room for cross-fit and have designated strongman sessions on the weekend. Purely from a financial stand point.

Think I'm just going to go with the uni and deal with the busyness, plus get used to working in with people.
I bet it's not that good if you're doing a more strength based routine. There won't be loads and loads of squats racks, olympic lifting platforms and plus strongman equipment.

Somewhere like powerlifter's gym or OSG in Manchester would be way better.

I'm the black sheep here, I bodybuild.
I know Gallium trains there and there's supposedly a very good new underground gym just opened near to where I live offering 12 months membership for £95 which I haven't seen yet but I'll have a look probably at both during Easter to see whether I can train for a couple of months during the summer holidays.

There needs to be a Birmingham lifting team to take on the London, South West and Notts guys. Like the Notts lifting crew on the UK misc.

Where is this £95 a year gym?
This place, he says he works out of the uni and you have to pay for PT, but I'm not sure if he has use of those facilities at all time. Due to my arrogance I have automatically assumed the lady on the the desk fancies me also, so am going to try and see if I do get to use it.

http://gorilla-pt.com/

PT sessions look very expensive. Must be a side building next to the main gym.

Original post by tommy1311
I'm the black sheep here, I bodybuild.

Current stats? How long have you been lifting?
Where is this £95 a year gym?

Incidently pretty close to town too. Bordesley Green, it's called Section 18 - relocated in January. Open from 6am-10pm I think, was going to move but went against it.
Original post by Motorbiker
And surely there must be some sort of TSR discount to powerlifter's gym as well?

Well, it would be worth a try anyway... :ahee:

Tbh there's not much stuff at my gym but i manage fine most of the time. Share the rack/bench most sessions but it's not much effort to unrack/rack weights between...

There's a lovely bodybuilding gym in Brighton(well, Hove technically, Cheetahs gym) and i went there once so if i ever got properly serious about this i would probably go there... They had an entire room for legs with multiple racks/cages as well as the leg press machines...

Iirc, PL's gym is pretty cheap to begin with. A bit cheeky asking for a discount lol.
Man wish I'd been into training when I lived in Brum. Lived in Jewellery Quarter one year and in Great Barr the next, would have been within reach of so many great gyms!
Incidently pretty close to town too. Bordesley Green, it's called Section 18 - relocated in January. Open from 6am-10pm I think, was going to move but went against it.

'the shed'
Original post by Becca
Iirc, PL's gym is pretty cheap to begin with. A bit cheeky asking for a discount lol.
Man wish I'd been into training when I lived in Brum. Lived in Jewellery Quarter one year and in Great Barr the next, would have been within reach of so many great gyms!

its 25 quid a month, i paid 50 quid for 3 months during new year deal.....he may discount for his pt services though.
Original post by Gallium
'the shed'

You been there?
You been there?

to the old one, man i need a local gym.....

atm i go uni at 10 finish at 4 then i go gym and don't get done till like 7-8 some days ;(

Latest