The Student Room Group
University logo
Abertay University

Who's going to Abertay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Bradalee
Nice one :biggrin:

Yeah i think for games design Abertay is the best option, it was the only one i applied to as well, **** knows what i would have done if i got rejected :biggrin:

haha it's the only one I have heard back from, probably will not even get into the other courses, oh well I have an unconditional, screw them :groovy:
University logo
Abertay University
Reply 221
My friend who is at Abertay right now in 2nd year told me to apply for Alloway because it's full of first years who are new to Dundee. It sucks that it is 30 minutes from the uni, but it looks good, cheap too :colone:. Definitely getting upgraded room though, would not be able to deal with wi-fi in the kitchen only :noway:
Reply 222
Hey guys - first of all congrats all on getting in!

THEShade and anyone else who's in Dundee for a visit - drop me an email on s.patterson[a]abertay.ac.uk if you want a meet up for a look around at any time.

Opal had a lot of problems last year - teething problems with a new building I guess. But from all accounts they've gotten their act together now!
I'm in Alloway at the moment :smile:
Here's the student accommodation that I can remember off the top of my head: The Hub, The Courthouse, The Old Mill, Opal, Keiller Court and Alloway! The Hub and Keiller Court is probably the nicest out of all of them, but for the price, Alloway is definitely the best choice. Be aware that there will be a good chance you get idiots in your flat (it's the same in every accommodation) you can always ask to be moved.

Good luck with finding the right flat for you! Message me if you wanna know anything :smile:
Reply 224
Has anyone already had the interview for the EH course?
Reply 225
Original post by isengard1
Has anyone already had the interview for the EH course?

Here this page and then page 4
2 or 3 guys already from TSR and quite a few overall
Reply 226
We are considering getting some more hackers into our group booking for next year at opal on condition that you are not a dick (e.g. play loud music out of party time, fill kitchen sink with your s**t, take other people's food from the fridge etc). Message me if interested :smile:
Reply 227
Original post by panda s
We are considering getting some more hackers into our group booking for next year at opal on condition that you are not a dick (e.g. play loud music out of party time, fill kitchen sink with your s**t, take other people's food from the fridge etc). Message me if interested :smile:

I will when I get an offer :cool:
Reply 228
As I'm very sure that I will firm Abertay I like to ask if someone can tell me something about the accomodation. From what I researched on the Website I like Victoria Chambers. Is it good for a Mature? I don't like to have party all the time :redface:
Reply 229
So I visited Dundee for a couple of days. I stayed at at campus of University of Dundee. The dorm-room is pretty damn huge here… I would say as big as Standard+ room in Opal1 (disclaimer, I was only in Standard room at Opal1) The UoD campus is pretty nice (I am telling this cause you will deffo. go there, at least to the Union) The Dundee Union is huge and you will go there for some parties for sure.

Dundee
The city centre is modern and it has a nice student vibe (lots of international students-mainly French,Spanish and Italian). Everything is in a walking distance so you won`t have any extra expenses on traveling unless you wanna live really far away from the city centre. If that`s the case then I would recommend to have at least a bike. I was told by Mr. Panda that biking is great here. You can`t get lost here, I tried really hard couple of times (even by going somewhere where a normal pedestrian wouldn’t go. The streets are full of students during the day (including kidz from high school and elementary school) When I was here the weather was unbelievably great and sunny so it was a pleasure to walk around the city. There are 2 shopping malls, few supermarkets(TESCO, LIDL, etc.), couple of local shops and so on. I got an impression that when you live at Opal the shopping for groceries won`t be so great as you will have to walk quite a distance to get to a shopping mall but I am pretty sure there are some small grocery stores nearby.
If you are from a big city you might find Dundee quite dull but the good thing is that Glasgow and Edinburgh are pretty close. In Dundee, there is a lot of clubs and pubs but I heard there aren`t many alternative clubs so expect the same music all the foking time. There are 2 pubs/clubs that I am aware of that play some live rock/jazz/local music. There are few museums and some landscapes. There is a small theatre that has various stuff on the program.
Overall: Nice student city with a good location and cheaper living expenses than any other city that would be better + a great Uni

Abertay

So the interview was on Wednesday . At first there was a presentation by Collin with some information about the course, etc. I arrived a bit late so I didn`t catch the whole presentation. Sorreeey. Then they proceeded with interviews. Not everyone was interview by Colin/Natalie. Quite a lot of us were interview by other staff of University, prob. Tutors but most likely not tutors of EH. While people were waiting for an interview there were 3 EH students answering our questions and stuff. I met couple of hackers and they are all cool people.
I was interviewed by a german Lady in her 50ties and a gentleman in his 50ties as well. The interview was very informal and they were just asking standard questions. The atmosphere was good and relaxed. Personally, I wasn`t stressed at all and I switched to American English just to be sure that I make a good impression cause my Scottish accent sucks and I was told I just sound like a foreigner which is deffo. true cause I don`t even fully concentrate on an accent so I am sure that even my ‘Slavic’ accents creeps out while I am ‘speaking’ with a Scottish one. I think the interview went pretty well for me but I am not completely sure if I left a good impression in terms of ‘liable for being a Uni student’. I could have done better for sure.
When interviews were over we got a tour by EH students visiting quite a lot of parts of campus. Then we went for a pint and then there was a meeting of EH Society which I was prob. The only guy from applicants that attended it. The talk was great (There was a guest speaker). The talk next week will be foking awesome as well, I had a little preview. Then they went for a pint to Abertay Union . I wanted to go as well but the talk had a high attendance and there was a lot of people and I didn`t felt like standing after 8 hours of walking around or wtw and no breakfast. So I left and got back to my host.

Abertay Campus

Modern, the computer bulding is completely new and modern with a nice interior as well. Good location, nice vibe and friendly atmosphere.

Anything that I forgot?
Original post by Tortilliontaco
Meeee! I'm going back to the ba hons in Computer arts after a year gap! Restarting in 1st year :smile: Anyone else in the arts institute? :biggrin:

I'm also wanting to start looking for student accommodation, staying away from Opal 1 this time. They really took the mickey :frown:

If I make friends on here, we could totally apply for student accomm together too! :biggrin:

Good to see other folk going for the same course, like.
I've just firmed my offer from Abertay for CA. Buzzing. Can't wait for September! :biggrin:
Reply 231
Does anyone know when and how you will be able to apply for accommodation?
I have firmed my unconditional offer two weeks ago so I will start my first year in September.
As I will be 20 when I start the course, I don't think I'm able to apply for the Alloway halls. From what I have seen on the website I think I'd like to live in the Meadowside halls, but will I be able to, cuz I'm a first year student? :colondollar:
Original post by Emely
Does anyone know when and how you will be able to apply for accommodation?
I have firmed my unconditional offer two weeks ago so I will start my first year in September.
As I will be 20 when I start the course, I don't think I'm able to apply for the Alloway halls. From what I have seen on the website I think I'd like to live in the Meadowside halls, but will I be able to, cuz I'm a first year student? :colondollar:

I may have misunderstood when I looked over it in the past, but I seem to remember seeing something about applications for accommodation being accepted starting in April.

As said, don't quote me on this, but that's the rough date I have in my head for some reason.

Might be worth giving Abertay a buzz for clarification, unless someone else here can clarify it for us.
Original post by CameronMoore
Good to see other folk going for the same course, like.
I've just firmed my offer from Abertay for CA. Buzzing. Can't wait for September! :biggrin:

Aw yay! I'll see you there then? :biggrin: Also, I'm trying to add people online, so I may try and add you on facebook or something :P
Original post by panda s

Does it have to be hackers? I like art and computer games? Hahahaha. (Totally the same thing...)
Reply 235
Firmed my offer for Game Design + Product Management :biggrin:
Reply 236
Original post by jamesxd
Firmed my offer for Game Design + Product Management :biggrin:

Me too, can't wait to get started :biggrin:
Reply 237
Firmed my offer for Forensic Science. Get really exciting now.
Reply 238
Hello Everyone, Im a second Year GDPM, any questions about the course or dundee give me a shout and il be sure to let you know all events happening for freshers :P

I got to know a few people on here before starting but i can suggest you meet up at the union during freshers and get to know some people, il bring some people as well :smile: and well done everyone for choosing Abertay! Your clearly people of impeccable taste
Reply 239
Original post by miciasger
Hello Everyone, Im a second Year GDPM, any questions about the course or dundee give me a shout and il be sure to let you know all events happening for freshers :P

I got to know a few people on here before starting but i can suggest you meet up at the union during freshers and get to know some people, il bring some people as well :smile: and well done everyone for choosing Abertay! Your clearly people of impeccable taste

o, hello! :smile:

I just firmed my GDPM, and just can't wait to get started! :biggrin: Yet, I'd have some questions about the course and accomodation.

Actually I don't really have the slightest idea which residence I should choose..:confused:

I've read the whole topic, some say that Alloway is the best for freshers (I'm 19), some say that Opal is the best, etc.. I actually don't really mind the distance between the school and Alloway, because currently I have to travel 'bout an hour every morning to get to school, so I got used to it. I'd appreciate any infos/thought about accomodation! :smile:

About the course: is it math heavy? Math is my weak point, so I'm afraid of it. I know the basics of programming (c# mainly), and haven't got problems with it at all.

Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply