The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

The UEA Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fabbykadabra
I'm just trying to make sure I get all the money I can.. lol :P

So I'm doing nursing at UEA starting september 2012.
I am going to apply for the NHS bursaries and for a maintenance loan.

I was just on the UEA site here and it seems like I can get a bursary of £1000 per year if my household income is between 20-30k. My household income is about 27k so do I automatically qualify for this or is there other criteria? If I do qualify where/how do I apply?

Also.. are there any other bursaries or scholarships I can get? :P

Look at the post above mine- they have answered your question very well- as your fees are paid for by the NHS you arent eligible for the uni bursary, but if you get AAA you will be automatically eligible for a scholarship- you don't need to apply for this, they pay the money into your account around December.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Does anyone know which bus (or buses) goes to ASDA? (and preferably which stop you've gotta get it from :tongue:) I know you have to get it from Chapelfields or Castle Mall and that ASDA is in Hellesdon.

Thanks!
Thanks very much for the help! :biggrin:
Original post by makingamemory
Does anyone know which bus (or buses) goes to ASDA? (and preferably which stop you've gotta get it from :tongue:) I know you have to get it from Chapelfields or Castle Mall and that ASDA is in Hellesdon.

Thanks!

Hi if you catch a number 28 bus from the city centre which says Thorpe Marriott this will take you to outside asda. You can catch it on St Stephens street near BHS. It only takes about 15-20 minutes on the bus and you will see it when you get there. I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by Determined*
Hi if you catch a number 28 bus from the city centre which says Thorpe Marriott this will take you to outside asda. You can catch it on St Stephens street near BHS. It only takes about 15-20 minutes on the bus and you will see it when you get there. I hope that helps :smile:

I love you, thanks!
wooo it's a first bus as well.
Let's just hope there's no repeat of the first day when my sister drove me there to buy a bulk load of shopping, the GPS failed and we ended up outside of Norwich LOL.
Why is UEA so awesommee? :P
Is there any way of getting discounted accomodation?
I love you, thanks!
wooo it's a first bus as well.
Let's just hope there's no repeat of the first day when my sister drove me there to buy a bulk load of shopping, the GPS failed and we ended up outside of Norwich LOL.

Thats okay lol :smile: Sounds like a fun trip with the GPS lol! It is pretty straight forward just get on and stay on until you see asda, press the bell and you will stop outside :smile: No issues with GPS then lol
Original post by omnomnom1234
Why is UEA so awesommee? :P
Is there any way of getting discounted accomodation?

Only if your household income is under £31k a year.
Thats okay lol :smile: Sounds like a fun trip with the GPS lol! It is pretty straight forward just get on and stay on until you see asda, press the bell and you will stop outside :smile: No issues with GPS then lol

I think we were supposed head towards the ring road, but ended up going down a road towards Fakenham and started seeing fields and thinking...this isn't Norwich....lol. I know but I get paranoid using new buses here because there isn't the lady there to tell you the bus stop name like back in London. We had that problem when viewing houses.
I think we were supposed head towards the ring road, but ended up going down a road towards Fakenham and started seeing fields and thinking...this isn't Norwich....lol. I know but I get paranoid using new buses here because there isn't the lady there to tell you the bus stop name like back in London. We had that problem when viewing houses.

Yes can imagine it must be a bit daunting when in a new place! I have lived in Norwich my whole life so know the area really well but could imagine if I went elsewhere I would be exactly the same lol. If you just ask the bus driver when yo get on if he could tell you when you need to get off but honestly you will see it straight away so you will definitely know when you are there :smile:
gah the junction where ASDA is should have pedestrianised traffic lights. It took AGES to cross them.
Is anyone going to the UEA visit day on the 21st march?
gah the junction where ASDA is should have pedestrianised traffic lights. It took AGES to cross them.

Yes it is not too good! You managed to find it okay by bus then :smile:
Yes it is not too good! You managed to find it okay by bus then :smile:

Yep, thanks! Although I did get a bit confused on the way back when the 28 didn't go around the roundabout near Unthank on the way back and went around towards Lolas :tongue:
Yep, thanks! Although I did get a bit confused on the way back when the 28 didn't go around the roundabout near Unthank on the way back and went around towards Lolas :tongue:

Yes it does go a different route on the way back to the city compared to the way it goes to asda lol but it is okay once you get used to it :smile:
Sooo I've got an offer for English and Drama at UEA for deferred entry (2013) and I KNOW you can't generalise thousands of people, but most universities attract similar kinds of students...for instance I've heard that one of Sheffield's stereotypes are procrastinators (Don't know who works this out or who doesn't procrastinate tbh) but I thought it would be fun to see what people say.

Down to earth students? Rahs? Party-hard people? Northerners/Southerners? Internationals?

Obviously you get a mix of these at EVERY uni, but it would just be interesting to see the vibe people get of the majority of the people that go there!
Original post by dulciemae
Sooo I've got an offer for English and Drama at UEA for deferred entry (2013) and I KNOW you can't generalise thousands of people, but most universities attract similar kinds of students...for instance I've heard that one of Sheffield's stereotypes are procrastinators (Don't know who works this out or who doesn't procrastinate tbh) but I thought it would be fun to see what people say.

Down to earth students? Rahs? Party-hard people? Northerners/Southerners? Internationals?

Obviously you get a mix of these at EVERY uni, but it would just be interesting to see the vibe people get of the majority of the people that go there!

most people ive met seem to be down to earth, and the vast majority of southerners- there are lots of people here from Essex and London
Original post by dulciemae

honestly I don't think I could look at someone and go 'Ha they're definitely a UEA student!' It doesn't have a huge rah population (thank god) like some unis, nor a huge international population of the likes of London unis, even though it attracts many international students from all across the world. I'd say the majority of people I've come across are southern (from east anglia/Essex/Kent/London/Surrey), but there are loads of northerners too. People are definitely down to earth and are very friendly. Theres just a good mix of people. Idk it's hard to describe lol.

man I probably should have applied to Sheffield... LOL
Reply 358
This may sound ridiculous and picky but I'm just after some opinions.

I'm really interested in applying to UEA for 2013 entry but the fact Norwich is kind of well.. in the middle of no where puts me off a little. I just can't imagine being stuck in the same city all the time, plus I live 4 hours away from Norwich so visits home won't be very frequent at all.

I guess I'm just not used to being in any way isolated, living in Wolverhampton currently I'm used to just popping on a train to Birmingham whenever I fancy a change of scenery or just to be in a different city for a day.

I'm just worried I'd start to feel home sick and isolated, being so far away from my family and well, everything else.

What do you all think?
I chose Norwich over Exeter, to me that seemed like the middle of nowhere.

Norwich is a great city and it's not that large but I rarely get bored of being there.
The train to London takes 1hr 50 minutes so honestly people don't go down that often.
The train to Cambridge is an hour though - I've never been, which seems daft.

I'm currently on a year abroad in Massachusetts... this city is middle of nowhere. I'm an hour and a half train from Boston, but compared to Norwich it feels so isolated. Norwich looks more and more fabulous every day!
This place is so spread out, has little to do, and you're screwed if you don't have a car to drive to the out-of-town malls. The only things in walking distance are a supermarket and a pharmacy, but the walk feels like it's along a motorway.

If Norwich was crap, being 1 hour from the next major town/city would both me. But Norwich is lovely and has stuff to do so it doesn't.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending