The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crazy1234
It can't be strategic, because everyone I know personally who have 8A*s+ have got Warwick, and they all got one of UCL,LSE etc. Whilst everyone I PERSONALLY know below are either waiting or have been rejected...

I do find it a bit ridiculous, as it seems a bit narrow to put so much bias on GCSE's.
But then again that's their admissions policy, so I guess we can't complain.

What chances do you think I have? I'm still waiting for an offer, have 8A*s and 2As for GCSE, AAAB for AS, and A*AA prediction, with 80s and 90s modular scores.
Original post by Tateco
The fact they give GCSEs such a high weighting seems ridiculous. Surely you can distinguish more between applicants with UMS scores than a couple of GCSEs which no one even tries for (unless they've got pushy parents or go to a half-decent school)

I second this. GCSEs are meaningless and all universities should pay attention to UMS scores like Cambridge does. Statistically those achieving an average of 95% UMS at AS level - such as me and you - are 10x more likely to achieve a first at Cambridge than those who achieve 85% at AS level according to Trinity. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that the same trend occurs at other top universities.

There are people at my school who achieved 8+ A*'s at GCSE and have Warwick offers for economics despite only having 85%ish UMS at AS level. This clearly shows that universities put too much weighting on GCSEs. What universities don't realise is they are missing out on the best students. Cambridge has got it right in my opinion by the fact that me and at least one other person on TSR who have only 3A*'s at GCSE have got offers for economics at Cambridge. Other universities need to follow!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chronoscon
What chances do you think I have? I'm still waiting for an offer, have 8A*s and 2As for GCSE, AAAB for AS, and A*AA prediction, with 80s and 90s modular scores.

Best guess, probably decent because of GCSE's, but from seeing other people you seem borderline, as I know someone with 7 A*s, and better predicted grades then you that got rejected. Good luck though :smile:
Original post by stefl14
I second this. GCSEs are meaningless and all universities should pay attention to UMS scores like Cambridge does. Statistically those achieving an average of 95% UMS at AS level - such as me and you - are 10x more likely to achieve a first at Cambridge than those who achieve 85% at AS level according to Trinity. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that the same trend occurs at other top universities.

There are people at my school who achieved 8+ A*'s at GCSE and have Warwick offers for economics despite only having 85%ish UMS at AS level. This clearly shows that universities put too much weighting on GCSEs. What universities don't realise is they are missing out on the best students. Cambridge has got it right in my opinion by the fact that me and at least one other person on TSR who have only 3A*'s at GCSE have got offers for economics at Cambridge. Other universities need to follow!

Third it. Also well done for getting Cambridge with 3A*s :smile:

Hopefully at some point in the future more universities will look at UMS.
Original post by nightmare91
I've never understood why GCSE's are important for your uni application in the UK. We don't even have an equivilant of GCSE's because they just can't determine whether you are able to do well at a good university or not. But I am sure that if we had GCSE's, I would have been horrible at them :tongue: Back then I was really lazy and had other things in mind :colone:

Because they're compulsory so they supposedly determine how hard-working you are no matter how much you despise/are un-interested in the subject. Well that what the LSE and Oxford tutor said anyway :P

Yeah :sadnod: me too! and still now, I think everyone has just lost all motivation really

Original post by Yash13
This is just ridiculous, it is really their loss they missed out on talent. Anyway, I hope you get UCL :smile:
Agreed! :five: Warwick Rejects. Middle of a field anyway :nod:

Me :biggrin: My firm choice xD

Do you know whats happening on the day? :colone:
Original post by stefl14

definitely agree!
Reply 9126
Do you know whats happening on the day? :colone:

Haha yeah Bath ftw!

This is the breakdown of events.

1.30PM : Introduction by HOD

1:35PM : Admissions Talk by UG Admissions Tutor

2.15PM : Presentations from Placement Year Students

2.45PM : Group Campus Tours

3.30PM : Refreshments (:biggrin:)

Hope to see you there!
Reply 9127
Original post by stefl14

Couldn't have said it better myself, shame Cambridge didn't see quite enough in me :redface:
Original post by Tateco
Couldn't have said it better myself, shame Cambridge didn't see quite enough in me :redface:

Ahh too bad. It won't be of any consolation but at least at Cambridge you will have lost your place to somebody else with excellent UMS marks rather than losing it to someone who performed excellently at GCSE but performed to a lower standard at A level. Unfortunately this is often not the case at places such as Warwick, UCL and LSE.
(edited 12 years ago)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hey everyone, does anyone have a link for the unit 2 economics course companion or know a good revision guide for unit 2? EDEXCEL
hye im thinking about taking a gap year and applying to economics.
If I work hard I am hoping to get 4A*s(Economics biology and maths, chemistry) in the summer
although my GCSE's were not good 4A*s 4As
Can I ask those applicants who have got offers for economics am I in with a realistic chance of getting into economics at somewhere like Warwick, Cambridge or LSE? bearing in mind I would have already achieved my grades and also that my GCSEs were pretty average
Original post by usamakhanlodhi
If I work hard I am hoping to get 4A*s(Economics biology and maths, chemistry) in the summer
Can I ask those applicants who have got offers for economics am I in with a realistic chance of getting into economics at somewhere like Warwick, Cambridge or LSE? bearing in mind I would have already achieved my grades and also that my GCSEs were pretty average

Applying with 4A* achieved will certainly do you no harm. Have you thought about taking up further maths?
Reply 9133

Add on further maths - then you have a reasonably good chance - especially if your A Levels go to plan.
Original post by jamiepango
Applying with 4A* achieved will certainly do you no harm. Have you thought about taking up further maths?

I was thinking about it but I was told that doing your Alevels across 3 years puts you at a disadvantage for the top unis for economics
Do the best economic Unis put a lot of emphasis on further maths?
Original post by JuKaMy
Add on further maths - then you have a reasonably good chance - especially if your A Levels go to plan.

would I need to do the full A2 or just the AS?
Reply 9136
would I need to do the full A2 or just the AS?

I think you could get by on the AS, mostly because you have good subjects. Doing up to A2 would obviously increases your chances by showing the universities that you are willing to put in extra work to meet their expectation - even if not a concrete requirement.

Also if you explain this pick up of further maths as a 'limited' challenge from standard maths then it could be a real bonus on your personal statement.

But really you need to decide on the risk/payoff whether to do just AS or A2.
I was thinking about it but I was told that doing your Alevels across 3 years puts you at a disadvantage for the top unis for economics
Do the best economic Unis put a lot of emphasis on further maths?

Presuming you are in AS year at the moment, I think a good idea would be to take up AS further maths in your A2 year. However it might be a heavy workload if you continue all 4 subjects to A2 as well.

Further maths is normally listed as a preferred subject at the universities you mentioned. However most applicants will be taking further maths to A2, so not having further maths at all could disadvantage you.
Rejection from Warwick...
Original post by jamiepango
Rejection from Warwick...

Cheer up, I'd rather go to UCL or LSE anyday.

Latest

Trending

Trending