The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1200
Original post by andrewpeters
To all those on hold including myself, I called up admissions and they told me last year there were about 15-20 people on hold. He then said that all of them ended getting offers. So don't give up hope!

Hey I'm a graduate who's on hold too. There's still hope! It's just annoying that we'll need to wait even longer for a decision... Are you holding offers anywhere else?
Original post by SeventyEight
so after interview we have a 50% chance of getting an offer? i worked out that there's a 1 in 6 chance. how do you know?

I spoke to one of the first yrs at my interview and thats what she told me they had about 2500 applicants for 500 interviews and 250 offers!
Reply 1202
Whoop whoop unconditional offer!!! Get in!!!
Do you guys know what kind of medical tests/jabs I have to take now? Super excited!!!!
Ignore my previous post, I must of misunderstood the admissions over the phone. There were 200 people on hold last year and 30 got offers, so that's a 1 in 7 chance. However I'm really confused as I emailed BSMS and they said I "interviewed very, very well". Well give me an offer !!
Original post by Dolly_D
Hey I'm a graduate who's on hold too. There's still hope! It's just annoying that we'll need to wait even longer for a decision... Are you holding offers anywhere else?

Nope BSMS is my only hope :frown: you?
Reply 1205
Ignore my previous post, I must of misunderstood the admissions over the phone. There were 200 people on hold last year and 30 got offers, so that's a 1 in 7 chance. However I'm really confused as I emailed BSMS and they said I "interviewed very, very well". Well give me an offer !!

did they tell you your interview score or position on the hold list?
Reply 1206
Nope BSMS is my only hope :frown: you?

I've had another 2 interviews but haven't had a reply yet. I phoned admissions too to ask about this hold list and was told that 15-20 people are on the hold list...where did you get 200 from? I was also told that if places become available then the assessors re-evaluate the applications to decide who will be offered a place. Doesn't seem like people have a specific position on the list.
Reply 1207
Original post by Dolly_D
I've had another 2 interviews but haven't had a reply yet. I phoned admissions too to ask about this hold list and was told that 15-20 people are on the hold list...where did you get 200 from? I was also told that if places become available then the assessors re-evaluate the applications to decide who will be offered a place. Doesn't seem like people have a specific position on the list.

wait no, that can't be right. BSMS ranks wait listed people based on their UKCAT.

It says so on their website so there is no re-evaluation of your application...you're just ranked based on ukcat and that's how they decide offers.

here is the exact quote:
We only use the UKCAT once you have been interviewed, either if you are on borderline with other candidates to being offered a place here, or if you are already on our waiting list and a space has become available.

Source: http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/faqs/
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1208
Original post by .eXe
wait no, that can't be right. BSMS ranks wait listed people based on their UKCAT.

It says so on their website so there is no re-evaluation of your application...you're just ranked based on ukcat and that's how they decide offers.

here is the exact quote:

Source: http://www.bsms.ac.uk/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/faqs/

I'm just telling you what the admissions guy told me on the phone...
Original post by Dolly_D

Yeah thats what I thought they said on the phone but then I emailed them and got a different answer... I'm so confused..
Reply 1210
Original post by Dolly_D
I'm just telling you what the admissions guy told me on the phone...

Well he gave you wrong info, which isnt new by the way. Leeds has been doing it all year. Anyways for those on the hold list, you will be ranked on ukcat. Goodluck
Original post by .eXe
did they tell you your interview score or position on the hold list?

No they are not able to tell me
Original post by .eXe
Well he gave you wrong info, which isnt new by the way. Leeds has been doing it all year. Anyways for those on the hold list, you will be ranked on ukcat. Goodluck

Well that's me gone... bye!
Reply 1213
Well that's me gone... bye!

no lol, you still have a chance. who knows what the hold list ukcats are :s

whats yours by the way? mine is pretty bad too dont worry (in my sig)
Hi guys

Im on the Hold list too.. 15-20 people on the hold list seems a small number of people but 200 people in the hold list is also strange. If 500 interviews were given out it seems half did really well and got offers the other half (200 or so) also did really well but placed on hold list and so only about 50 people were rejected. That doesn't seem right. Anyway, Best of Luck everyone.
Admissions said to me there were 15-20 people on hold, and that all candidates who were on hold last year got a place, where has this 200 people on hold came from? Its a worrying figure :s-smilie:
Original post by .eXe
no lol, you still have a chance. who knows what the hold list ukcats are :s

whats yours by the way? mine is pretty bad too dont worry (in my sig)

Mine is 632.5... I have an email saying "a total of 200 people on hold for the entire cycle" that means for this year only right?
Maybe admissions mean that there are CURRENTLY 15-20 people on hold? They sent me an email saying that, last year, they held 200 people over the 'entire cycle'...
What are the chances of people on hold getting an offer?
Reply 1219
What are the chances of people on hold getting an offer?

There's no way for 200 people to be on hold. What's the sense in putting more people on hold than the total number of available spaces? That's like saying every single person that make an offer to, will decline it. Absolute nonsense.

There will be 15-20 people on hold and you will be ranked on UKCAT and noone can really tell you anything about your chances of getting an offer because that depends on the ukcat scores of the other people on the hold list, and obviously no one knows what they are....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending